mojo

VAR in 2019/20

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Sorry mate, but anyone with a pair of eyes can see that it is a blatant penalty on Rodri, he was hauled to the ground by the neck. It’s as clear & obvious a penalty as you can get. It’s basically saying that all the decisions that went against us with Overbo wouldn’t be reviewed because the referee didn’t give it in the first instance. I’ll try and dig it out but I am adamant that’s what he said. VAR can’t intervene if the referee doesn’t give the original decision.

I haven’t seen the city game so don’t have a view on it but I believe you. My understanding of VAR is that it’s used proactively so if the ref misses a potential penalty they can intervene.  It’s the interpretation of the following I guess ( from the EPL ) :-

All penalties awarded in the Premier League will automatically be checked by the Video Assistant Referee (VAR), who will also check for possible penalties not given by the on-field referee.

Edited by Crem

Wolves scored a brilliant goal yesterday against ManU and after it they had VAR checking it for offside for a couple of minutes in a level of centimeters with some graphical guidelines. I really didn't enjoy the moment. Looks like we are in for some embarassing moments with VAR this season.

All in all I'm into VAR but yesterday and particulartly City's disallowed goal against Spurs it looks like VAR needs to chill the f**k out.

8 hours ago, Crem said:

I haven’t seen the city game so don’t have a view on it but I believe you. My understanding of VAR is that it’s used proactively so if the ref misses a potential penalty they can intervene.  It’s the interpretation of the following I guess ( from the EPL ) :-

All penalties awarded in the Premier League will automatically be checked by the Video Assistant Referee (VAR), who will also check for possible penalties not given by the on-field referee.

That’s interesting because to me as you say that reads that they should have identified it was a penalty. Gallagher was obviously mistaken when he said VAR couldn’t intervene. I’d be interested to hear the VAR referees thought process for the decision but I highly doubt we’ll ever get to that stage as referees seem to have protection from justifying decisions.

I think the VAR needs to follow that of cricket where each captain could ask VAR ( say one per half). City would have asked VAR for the penalty call and got it, Spurs would have asked for VAR to check everything to get the goal cancelled , kind worked out. The referee and lines people still need to make calls, they can't ask everything to be reviewed or the game be 100 minutes, alternatively if they make an obvious mistake, it's up to the Captain of each team to make noise about it. I don't know whether the referee asked the City goal to be checked, or VAR just got involved because it's the last action of the game. For me, it's wrong if VAR got involved without the referee asking it, because the only purpose in this instance is to scrutinize it and find a way to rule it out.

i think the premier league have tried to change rules to make them black and white so VAR an easier time making correct decisions. 

The handball rule should go back to how it was, i agree that goals should be ruled out if the ball goes in the net off an arm, however minor ball to hand incidents in the build up, that wouldnt be called as fouls anywhere else on the field, shouldnt be allowed to stand. 

Offside decisions shouldnt be black and white, i read an article last week that said there is 13cm margin for error even with VAR, because its hard to establish the exact point when a pass it made. 

I think VAR should only overturn a decision if it is clear and obvious in every instance. Ive seen 2 goals chalked off for handball that shouldve stood, and ive seen 3 goals called for offside, that are so marginal, they shouldve been classed as level. What happened to the benefit of doubt going to the attacking teams? 

Im not a fan of VAR at all, i dont like the minute limbo after every goal, where you are wondering whether the celebrations might have been in vein, and i think it takes away some of adrenalin.

Let the refs and the lineman do their jobs, if they make a big f**k up, then overturn it. If its a close call, then go with refs decision. 

The new rules and VAR made me think of scenarios where I'm not sure what would happen in a game. I'm probably missing something obvious and have too much time but here it goes...

If the ball accidently brushes off a defender's arm in his own box and breaks to a player who goes the length of the pitch and scores...will the game ever end? Or is it stuck in a VAR loop between not being able to give a pen for the handball at one end or award the goal at the other end because of it?

Has a player ever been sent off for 2 yellow cards during the same passage of play? Is this possible if the advantage rule was played in the first instance? Would the ref be able to play advantage the seond time if possible, or would he have to stop the game to issue the red card i.e. show the yellow twice.

Firstly I am thankful that the Refs have stopped going over to the sidelines to watch the enitire game again before making a call, however like a few have mentioned VAR should only intervene on clear and obvious errors & maybe let each team have 1 review per half for a decision which they believe may have gone against them. At the moment there just seems to be this lack of clarity around the involvement of VAR on a game. Play should be allowed to continue and the Ref should make the decision and unless it is obviously incorrect the decision should stand.

In the City & Spurs game it seemed fairly obvious that the Ref was happy with the goal and even the Spurs players had accepted the decision and than VAR got involved which seemed absolutely ludicrous. 

45 minutes ago, DP2 said:

The new rules and VAR made me think of scenarios where I'm not sure what would happen in a game. I'm probably missing something obvious and have too much time but here it goes...

If the ball accidently brushes off a defender's arm in his own box and breaks to a player who goes the length of the pitch and scores...will the game ever end? Or is it stuck in a VAR loop between not being able to give a pen for the handball at one end or award the goal at the other end because of it?

Has a player ever been sent off for 2 yellow cards during the same passage of play? Is this possible if the advantage rule was played in the first instance? Would the ref be able to play advantage the seond time if possible, or would he have to stop the game to issue the red card i.e. show the yellow twice.

the stupidest part of the new handball rule is if it accidentally hits a defenders arm then thats not a penalty, its only there to rule out a goal if it hits an attackers arm. Its farcical.

Posted (edited)

Oh I'd rather see refs f**k up than have VAR
I'd rather see refs f**k up than have VAR
Rather see refs f**k up
Rather see refs f**k up
Rather see refs f**k up than have VAR
VAR OUT

We all hate VAR and VAR and VAR
VAR and VAR and VAR and VAR 
And VAR and VAR and VAR
We all f**king hate VAR
VAR OUT

VAR is atrocious
Football ain't the same
We're in agreement
That VAR will wreck the game
VAR OUT

Edited by Upsetter

1 hour ago, Imran_CFC said:

Firstly I am thankful that the Refs have stopped going over to the sidelines to watch the enitire game again before making a call, however like a few have mentioned VAR should only intervene on clear and obvious errors & maybe let each team have 1 review per half for a decision which they believe may have gone against them. At the moment there just seems to be this lack of clarity around the involvement of VAR on a game. Play should be allowed to continue and the Ref should make the decision and unless it is obviously incorrect the decision should stand.

In the City & Spurs game it seemed fairly obvious that the Ref was happy with the goal and even the Spurs players had accepted the decision and than VAR got involved which seemed absolutely ludicrous. 

Totally agree - the review of every decision is painful and takes some of what we love out of the game in my opinion. A limited number of reviews that can be initiated by the team could be one option as you say, plus refs could ask the VAR crew to take a look. I agree with Nuno Espirito Santo. I have come to accept that it is going to have a place in the game, but please not a painstaking review of every decision. Go with the ref, unless someone challenges them. 

Well we all knew that VAR would come to hurt us at some point and boy what a complete f**ker yesterday.

The day before Spurs had an even worse decision and although we all laughed, you know something is seriously wrong when you find yourself feeling sorry for a hated rival. No question, the way VAR is being used right now it IS ruining the game. No true football fan can honestly say that goals being disallowed two minutes after a massive celebration because someone in the build-up was offside by their big toe, is a good thing for the game. In Mount's case, if his nose was a bit smaller he may have been onside! It's complete bollox and the game and supporters enjoyment is being ruined. I'm not interested in us getting a dodgy VAR call in our favour - I rather wouldn't win a game in such fashion.

At some point we will get another ludicrous VAR decision in a massive game that could decide a trophy or relegation and supporters will be excused for a riot. It has to be revised NOW.

#VARRUININGFOOTBALL

2 hours ago, Nibs said:

Well we all knew that VAR would come to hurt us at some point and boy what a complete f**ker yesterday.

The day before Spurs had an even worse decision and although we all laughed, you know something is seriously wrong when you find yourself feeling sorry for a hated rival. No question, the way VAR is being used right now it IS ruining the game. No true football fan can honestly say that goals being disallowed two minutes after a massive celebration because someone in the build-up was offside by their big toe, is a good thing for the game. In Mount's case, if his nose was a bit smaller he may have been onside! It's complete bollox and the game and supporters enjoyment is being ruined. I'm not interested in us getting a dodgy VAR call in our favour - I rather wouldn't win a game in such fashion.

At some point we will get another ludicrous VAR decision in a massive game that could decide a trophy or relegation and supporters will be excused for a riot. It has to be revised NOW.

#VARRUININGFOOTBALL

I made the point in the match thread. I still don't understadn why it went to VAR ? .. Do they review every goal. No one semeed to be complaining from Liverpool, the goal was well worked and well deserved.  and was that reall a "clear and obvious error" ?  not in a million years. technically right like you say by a nose but there used to also be an offside rule about interferring with play and benefitting the attacking side, he was a gnats cock off right out on the touch line just doesnt seem to be in the spirit of thie thing at all.  

I am happy with VAR for the bigg decisions where there is some obvious doubt, personally but it has to be used consistently

I have no problem with the offside rule if it's going to be like this for the rest of the season, every goal scored will be examined for offside from the moment the attacking team pass forward the ball. Chances are after a few rounds where feathers are being roughened, the FA will take a step back and let the attacking team have the benefit of doubt or whatever excuse that comes handy, then the complete mess.

It's horrific and damn near ruins the entire game the way it's used right now.

Does it's utmost best to ruin any excitement of a goal because everyone have to second guess if there may possibly have been the slightest of offsides at any point in the entire attack.

It was just pathetic yesterday how we celebrated the goal only to be left completely deflated while the away supporters were celebrating like they had just scored after the check which gave them a massive lift to go and extend the lead.

Can't say I'm it's greatest fan. With offside decisions VAR suffers from the same fault as having a normal lines person...when exactly does the ball leave the foot? Yet we are relying on miniscule decisions at the business end on images supplied by Sky. We surely have to return to clear and obvious error and stop trying to be so precise.Maybe a change of the offside rule would aid proceedings.

Spoiling my enjoyment of the game that is for sure. More and more our beloved game moves towards NFL standards. Stop start, stop start. Wait a few minutes and we will decide if you get to keep your goal or not.

Twice against Liverpool a fractional choice cost us the game. 2-0 up in the supercup and we win a first trophy under Lamps, back to 1-0 gives Liverpool the lift, then does not spot Adrian way off his line to saves Tammy's pen. Though all goals were being reviewed? Or do shoot outs not count.

Then yesterday, kills our teams momentum. No way do we concede right away if that call had not been made on Daves goal. Not saying we go on to win, Liverpool may still well win but we will never know now.

System used by Dodgey people when they want to use it. Funny how it keeps helping Liverpool though eh?

30 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Spoiling my enjoyment of the game that is for sure. More and more our beloved game moves towards NFL standards. Stop start, stop start. Wait a few minutes and we will decide if you get to keep your goal or not.

Twice against Liverpool a fractional choice cost us the game. 2-0 up in the supercup and we win a first trophy under Lamps, back to 1-0 gives Liverpool the lift, then does not spot Adrian way off his line to saves Tammy's pen. Though all goals were being reviewed? Or do shoot outs not count.

Then yesterday, kills our teams momentum. No way do we concede right away if that call had not been made on Daves goal. Not saying we go on to win, Liverpool may still well win but we will never know now.

System used by Dodgey people when they want to use it. Funny how it keeps helping Liverpool though eh?

As luck would have it, I've just been talking to a Scouser, but an Evertonian. Discussing yesterday's match, he said to me: "Yeah Liverpool, they get all the luck, don't they. We call them the Devil's Club."

Say no more.

What pissed me off was in the stadium the fans have no f**king clue what’s going on. They literally flashed an image up on the screen for a second then it went. Blink and you missed it. I feel like we should be seeing exactly what they’re looking at while they’re looking at it. 

It’s still all down to some random blokes interpretation of the game. 

2 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

What pissed me off was in the stadium the fans have no f**king clue what’s going on. They literally flashed an image up on the screen for a second then it went. Blink and you missed it. I feel like we should be seeing exactly what they’re looking at while they’re looking at it. 

Good to get the pitch side perspective.

3 hours ago, Munkworth said:

Some random bloke being told what to do.

People made a great point above about fans celebrating a goal being ruled out for whatever trivial offense, isn't that anti football? Back in the normal days ( before this season), referee or lines people called earlier, everyone just move on. Now days, the VAR doesn't do anything until 2-3 minutes after the goal is scored and players return to position, then rule out and kill off people's mood and passion. If they want 100% correctness, they really should check every referee decision. I'm just being grumpy here, if we do a VAR about the Azpi foul for the second goal, most likely referee could take it off and play on. Then you got stud up tackles not being VAR, or penalty call, because somehow we reply on referee to get it right. Sure, we don't want football to be played with start and stop every 3 minutes but if we demand perfection, why just limit it to offside?

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:18, icecoolguy22 said:

Everytime referee makes a decision, players will be all around him asking for VAR. Some referees won't be making the tough decisions at all, just wait for the VAR. I don't think it will help at all, in fact over use of TV replay just make people lose more faith in the referees and be grumpy about every decisions on the field.

Your comments last Nov look spot on now mate !