Luka Jović (not a real rumor but a suggestion)

• 2 weeks later...

According to Sky this is now a real rumour. He's indeed interesting - young, intelligent and strong - could be exactly what we need. 

Though I also read some time ago that we were looking at his teammate Sébastien Haller - more of a targetman, but has been consistant with goals and assists in the Eredivisie and the Bundesliga. Not sure who I'd prefer of the two.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, enigma said:

Yeah, we aren't getting him. It surprises me when so many of our fans believe he'll come to us over one of the big boys in Spain or Germany. God knows who we will get. I think if we can, Insigne would be my choice. 

I think the rumours have circulated because we are one of the biggest clubs who are in desperate need of a 1st choice striker. Other than Real and Inter if they sell Icardi I can't think of any more. The lad clearly wants to play. I think Barca and Bayern will stick with Suarez and Lewa for another season. I agree though we would be extremely lucky to get him.

7 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Would he play at Madrid though with Zidane’s favourite Benzema still firing? Madrid will be a bad move IMO as he isn’t high profile enough for them. Inter also seem keen on an Icardi-Dybala swap.

Yeah Icardi seems like the natural fit for them right now. I read that Zidane wants a striker that can play with Benzema in a 2. He is getting on as well. I bet they're kicking themselves they didn't just fork out for Mbappe. (Edit forgot he was a Parisien boy). His price will keep going up and up and you would have thought he was destined to go there. Maybe in a few years.

Edited by rtwelch
30 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

Great header

Apart from the qualities he showed today, I really liked the fact that when we played him tough and fouled him, he didn't roll around, he didn't throw his arms out, he just got up.  Like, "Yeah, all you can hope to do is foul me".  There was a pride in being fouled.  

Smashing header but I think tonight showed how different the style that Frankfurt play is from ours. 

My concern is that he could fall in to the Batshuayi trap where he is great around the box but limited elsewhere particularly with back to goal. That becomes a problem in the way we have set up. 

13 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Smashing header but I think tonight showed how different the style that Frankfurt play is from ours. 

My concern is that he could fall in to the Batshuayi trap where he is great around the box but limited elsewhere particularly with back to goal. That becomes a problem in the way we have set up. 

He did better than giroud in that respect last night! 

I've only seen him play 3 times now, but he seems more intelligent than batshuayi, and his link up play is excellent, which is why he has success play off another striker aswell. 

I thought he played pretty well, maybe missed having haller and rebic up there with him though. 

He reminds me of aguero in his Atletico days, not the tallest but bullish.

We need to improve our quality into the box though, or any striker will struggle to score goals.

I think he would be a quality signing if it were at all possible.

37 minutes ago, big blue said:

He did better than giroud in that respect last night! 

I've only seen him play 3 times now, but he seems more intelligent than batshuayi, and his link up play is excellent, which is why he has success play off another striker aswell. 

I thought he played pretty well, maybe missed having haller and rebic up there with him though. 

He reminds me of aguero in his Atletico days, not the tallest but bullish.

We need to improve our quality into the box though, or any striker will struggle to score goals.

I think he would be a quality signing if it were at all possible.

I think he is better than Batshuayi make no mistake but we're buying him from a club who play a very counter attacking game that relies on combinations between multiple forwards all running towards goal. Totally different to ours.

Last night he was isolated for large parts especially after their goal largely played back to goal and had a 54 percent passing completion. I didn't see him win a duel with Luiz or Christensen, hold the ball up and bring others in or draw a foul to get his team up the park. All of those things are crucial when playing in our system. All things Costa did well, all things Droga did well.

The only time I saw him drop off and try and create he mish*t his pass badly when Kostic had made a good run and could have been in.

Now that is of course a very critical assessment and I've no doubt that he's better out and out player than what we have, but he's playing a very different style and that is a huge risk when you're buying someone for big money. 

51 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

I think he is better than Batshuayi make no mistake but we're buying him from a club who play a very counter attacking game that relies on combinations between multiple forwards all running towards goal. Totally different to ours.

Last night he was isolated for large parts especially after their goal largely played back to goal and had a 54 percent passing completion. I didn't see him win a duel with Luiz or Christensen, hold the ball up and bring others in or draw a foul to get his team up the park. All of those things are crucial when playing in our system. All things Costa did well, all things Droga did well.

The only time I saw him drop off and try and create he mish*t his pass badly when Kostic had made a good run and could have been in.

Now that is of course a very critical assessment and I've no doubt that he's better out and out player than what we have, but he's playing a very different style and that is a huge risk when you're buying someone for big money. 

Drogba and Costa haven't played on our current system. If conte or Mourinho were still here, then I agree those qualities would be paramount, and they still are important in this league. 

However, if sarri is still here, are target men what he would want? Higuain isnt really a back to goal striker, and mertens definitely isnt. Both have thrived in sarri's system. 

I think Jovic has had better games, although he still played well considering his team had around 35% of the ball last night. 

I think your point about whether he can adapt is valid, not so much with going from counter attacking to possession, because his touch and link up play are good, and he can score with minimal space. My only worry is whether he can adapt to playing as a lone striker, because he has generally played off Haller this season. 

I think will adapt to be that focal point though, as aguero and firmino have before him.

48 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

It’d be a shame if we signed Jovic but Eden left, he could really help him out there. 

Yes, that is a mouth watering prospect...…...and a combination that defenses would not fancy playing against.  And if rumours & gossip are to be believed, they may be together at Real Madrid...…...

Edited by Boston Blue
49 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

Yes, that is a mouth watering prospect...…...and a combination that defenses would not fancy playing against.  And if rumours & gossip are to be believed, they may be together at Real Madrid...…...

The worlds best knee slide celebration duo since time began.