coco

Chelsea v Leicester City (PL) Sat 22nd Dec 15:00 UK

2 minutes ago, Jamjar1986 said:

United going from the most defensive football to a different style, 2 days working on it.... but we need 18 months and 11 new players ?????

Not 11, but two up top would do wonders 

1 minute ago, Jamjar1986 said:

United going from the most defensive football to a different style, 2 days working on it.... but we need 18 months and 11 new players ?????

Isn't this just the usual reaction when a team get's a new manager? I remember us being the same against Sunderland after we sacked Mourinho.

Fair play to Leicester they had a game plan and stuck with it. In days gone by we used to mock Arsenal for knocking the ball around endlessly, we would take it off them and hit them on the break. Shots on goal win games, possession stats mean diddly squat unless you have those. When teams sit deep, the use of the wings and getting to the byline has always been the way around this, our full backs and wingers have been particularly poor at this,time and again we reach the eighteen yard box only to either cut inside to the congested area or play it backwards. We are too easy to defend against. 

Hmmm, well, That was quite the pitiful performance today. Yes, we are an embarrassment that we have no top striker, but honestly, the past few games I see no real difference on the pitch between last season (when they hated Conte) and this lot (when they supposedly like Sarri) as for effort and style, save the 2-0 win over City.

As most know on this site, I am a very upbeat, optimistic type and rarely post much negative. But I feel I am seeing a trend now. Last 7 PL matches:

11/11/18 H Everton 0-0 DRAW

24/11/18 A Tottenham 3-1 LOSS

02/12/18 H Fulham 2-0 WIN

05/12/18 A Wolves 2-1 LOSS

08/12/18 H Man. City 2-0 WIN

16/12/18 A Brighton 1-2 WIN

22/12/18 H Leicester 0-1 LOSS

This a fabulous 3-1-3 record with 10 out of 21 points. 8 Goals scored in the 7 games and 7 allowed. We were 3-2-1 in the prior 6 matches, so this puts us at 6-3-4 in our last 13 matches and only 21 from 39 possible points. That pace is mid table at absolute best. We earned 70 of 114 points last year under Conte (61%). We are 53% over this 13 game stretch and only 68% for the year. No excuse to have lost to Wolves or Spurs the way we did or Leicester today.

The inability to score from last season has crept back in this year. As many point out, the lower level opposition just puts 11 in the box to defend and lets us pass around until we eventually misplay the ball. This is no different than last year. I think you would be hard pressed to find another big club that has a more difficult time breaking down a defensive set up like this. Costa could force his way through physically and get us some goals against these defensive fronts and we desperately need a similar player now. 

Just as clubs took away the excitement of Conte's 3-4-3, they have done the same with Sarri-ball. Other than the matches when we had Costa healthy, how similar do these matches look from the ones with Jose, Guus, Conte? With strikers such as Remy, Morata, Giroud, Batshuayi, etc, it is just the same old pass it around with Willian, Hazard, Pedro, etc. 

This post is not about how we need a big time striker, though we all know that is our number one priority, it that Sarri must go back to the drawing board and find the correct mix of players, and style of play, to beat this 11 in the box defense or he will suffer the same fate as the others as we finish 5th or 6th. 

We have a LOT of games now in January and February with the FA Cup, League Cup (two legs) and Europa League. Give others a chance. Otherwise, we will be exhausted and drop many more points. The biggest knock on Sarri at Napoli was his reluctance to play more than 13-14 players, much like Conte.

I'll be the first to make the joke, bring back Jose!! :wink:

Seriously though, have to find new ways to create or it is going to be a long boring stroll to the finish of the PL season for us. 

I do not want to see the same starting XI Boxing Day. Get Hazard out of the number 9 position. He hates it and it shows. Start Giroud and Cesc if we must to create. Play some youth. Do something to change it up. Please.

Come on you Chelsea!! 

3 minutes ago, charierre said:

Fair play to Leicester they had a game plan and stuck with it. In days gone by we used to mock Arsenal for knocking the ball around endlessly, we would take it off them and hit them on the break. Shots on goal win games, possession stats mean diddly squat unless you have those. When teams sit deep, the use of the wings and getting to the byline has always been the way around this, our full backs and wingers have been particularly poor at this,time and again we reach the eighteen yard box only to either cut inside to the congested area or play it backwards. We are too easy to defend against. 

Wenger's Arsenal was weak mentally (last 10 years) and soft at the back but they were dangerous and quite prolific going forward. Even in poor games you could bet on them carving teams up and creating chances. Sarri's Chelsea is lucky to have 2-3 real chances per game despite all the possession.

We desperately need better attacking players and players that can score from midfield, we look so toothless at times and it's extremely frustrating.

Personally I'd have CHO in the squad over Willian as well. Stop playing the False 9 bollocks, stick a striker in there.

Sarri needs to get more of his own style of players in, the ones we have failed just as much under previous managers.

Just got back home from the game and what a poor performance. Hazard was completely off it today and never seen him that poor before. Willian was poor as was Pedro and basically every other player in the team. I thought Luiz actually had a good game and Rudiger didn't do much wrong either and Kepa was good also. Everyone else was shocking. Kante was a headless chicken this game. He was all over the place but barely could keep up and was awful in possession and again looked lost in that role which is a shame after looking at home against City. I don't understand why Sarri took Jorginho off for Fabregas when he should of brought on Barkley for Kante or Jorginho. Bemusing decision. We keep offering Arsenal the chance to play catch up. It is really pissing me off. Why can't we just put together a successful string of victories, but we have games like today, Wolves etc, games where we should be winning where we f**k up. Barkley needed to come on. Don't understand why he kept Barkley on the bench and Kante in that RCM role when Barkley offers much more of a goalscoring threat. Fabregas offered nothing when he came on also. Azpi got roasted all game.

Credit to Leicester though. They fought hard all game and played well. Mendy done a Kante type performance today. Chilwell was MOTM for me. Was absolutely fantastic all game, defensively and offensively. One of the best LB performances I have seen and that is not an exaggeration.

So back on level with Arsenal and a tough game in the week. We just love making life difficult for ourselves.

We badly need some new attacking talent upfront. Willian has gone stale. We need one of our three central mid's to have a goal threat and we need a proper number nine and should  stop playing the false nine nonsense.

We need at least three new faces in January to freshen it up.

1 minute ago, abramovich said:

Wenger's Arsenal was weak mentally (last 10 years) and soft at the back but they were dangerous and quite prolific going forward. Even in poor games you could bet on them carving teams up and creating chances. Sarri's Chelsea is lucky to have 2-3 real chances per game despite all the possession.

You either adapt in epl or you will sleep with the fishes........im willing to bet we are out the top 4 come very soon unless sh*t happens, could be new players, new formation whatever. And I dont see this team motivated at all, most games they look desireless and zero energy. And we sh*t ourselves as soon as we concede.......to me its suicidal to play the way we do when its clear we do not have the tools. Regroup and play to your teams strenghts until we do ave the tools. Thats what a good manager will do, you cant gamble like this when top 4 is looking extremely tough.

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't mean direct like launching the ball up to the striker, I'm talking about getting it forward faster. Stop dilly-dallying around the box looking for tiny gaps, take a few shots at goal, keep the opposition guessing. Pressure teams, run at them in numbers, drive forward without slowing down as soon as we approach the final third. That is the directness I want to see. We have the players to do this, Hazard was made for that role, so is Kante, Willian, Pedro, Loftus-Cheek, they are all players that are better running at the team, as soon as you tell them to slow down, play 5 yard passes sideways or look for gaps in the defence, they lose their way.

This group of players has never looked that good passing the ball to death, we have seen it fail countless times over the last 7 or 8 years. 

I just don't think the quality is there no matter which way we play. I think we need to move the ball quicker, but in terms of getting forward quicker, I think it would lead to us being countered even more, and this defence is shaky as it is. 

We don't have enough pace in the side areas to stretch teams, and we dont have a focal point in attack to play from. 

Maybe against better teams sarri could set us up to counter, but we are going to come up against organised packed organised defences, that the majority of this group has struggled to break down for years. 

Our squad is the 4th or 5th best in the league, we are exactly where we should be. If Roman wants more, we have to have better players, and that it isn't even about spending hundreds of millions. Liverpool have bought well in the last 2 seasons, and they are looking like turning into a real force. 

We certainly had enough chances today going by the BBC whether it was shots in open play or corners.

So it would appear to be the quality in finishing off those chances that is important.

Is this a one - off probably not yet also certainly not the end of out push for CL, I expect personnel changes in the January window.

image.png.94d6e0094b515026d9f970de14441136.png

Shocking result. This false nine experiment got us a freak win against Man City, now Sarri thinks he's re-invented the wheel. 

Saying that, we had lots of possession, three clear chances for Willian, Alonso and Hazard. All wasted.

They score from one incisive break. Vardy doing his job.

Meantime we faff about passing it to nowhere, with full backs who can't cross – and who are they going to cross to anyway? Hazard? Kante? Poor Kante just looks lost. Pedro and Willian are running into dead ends while two deadweight strikers can't get a start. Bizarre how Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi don't get a look in with all the chaos on the pitch.

Sarri is in danger of screwing up if he's not careful. If he's not going to use his squad and the players he trusts aren't performing, then we're in trouble unless the Board comes to his rescue in January.

I'm not holding my breath.

Chillwell is better than Alonso by far,

Vardy is better than Giroud + Morata by far

Maddison is better than Willian

You can only get away with mediocre players for long and its now showing. We can't score goals and the coach keeps playing a midfield combo with no goal contribution and expecting magic to happen. Sarri is even making things worse by not dropping the under performing players like willian and Alonso for players in form like RLC. Many of us said buying cheaper average players will hunt us in the long term but many refused to believe it and claimed the board knows best. a board can and will make mistakes and ours been doing it for years now.

Too pedestrian and lack of ideas. Surprised after Giroud came on that he won a knock down for a shot but we didn’t use this method more. Our passing in key areas and crossing was poor today.

3 hours ago, enigma said:

Drop some of the "stars" for whom? lol you seen the bench? Who do you pick from that. As much as I would like to see Hudson-Odoi for e.g, he isn't going to change the game. Loftus-Cheek should likely start over Kova or Barkley, maybe, but that's about it. Giroud is poor. Cesc is good off the bench or against lesser opposition, but sooner or later he'll make mistakes and people will berate him too. Compare who City can bring off the bench, it's night and day. We don't have enough genuine game changers either starting or on the bench. 

Would Hudson-Odoi do any worse than Willian? Does Willian offer more then Loftus-Cheek on the wing? I’d start him in that position over Willian. Emerson should start ahead of Alonso, who Sarri has laughably talked up as potentially the best left back in the world, which is a bizarre statement, when he’s not even a left back. I agree though, our strength in depth isn’t good enough, which we need to improve on in the summer. 

3 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Sarri says we played well for the first 55 minutes.

I say Sarri’s chatting sh*t.

Well there's a problem right there....anyone tell the players the game is 90 minutes.   We've been hearing this tripe every week.  We played well for 70 mins, we played well for 60 minutes, we played well etc, etc........well that's not good enough IMO; fair enough new system but's that's no excuse for dogging it the last 20 minutes or so; and the most scary thing I am seeing is how easily we turn to sh*t when the opposition scores and or applies pressure, everything goes to rat sh*t....not holding my breath for a top 4 spot, I reckon 6th at best if we keep this up. We are surrounded by a rejuvenated Arsenal, Man Utd and Spurs and I really don't fancy playing Palace, Watford or Southampton who are themselves rejuvenated after big wins.

It's quite similar to Conte last year, we all know the team sheet and formation days before kickoff so every opposition will. Teams know how we set up, there's no plan b and there's a real lack of creativity. The lack of creativity worries me most, it seems like it's the hope Hazard does something plan at the moment.

Back to the good old bad days of Chelsea NIL.

And it felt like it too. Don't care about possession/shots stats, we were beaten by the better team, and all because they locked up Hazard, our only creative player, everyone knows stop Eden, stop Chelsea.

With no creativity coming from midfield, and no strikers who can muster up the odd goal, we will struggle.

Kovacic, i just don't get him at all, what does he offer to the midfield ? Because i am not seeing what some see in him.

Kante and Jorginho are good players, but not anywhere near creative enough, so the third spot MUST go to a creative midfielder. If Sarri says we don't have one, then we should make sure we get one.

We have to face it, without some serious changes in personnel, we will not get top 4, not even close imo.