Jose

Kev56
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

5 minutes ago, Stim said:

Strangely enough, I remember checking before, but Jose usually lasts longer than most managers. Longer than Moyes, Van Gaal, Conte etc.

That's probably because they cant afford to get rid of him.

United got themselves into this mess because of their arrogance. They thought they were a better/classier club, so they wrote off Mourinho's second spell failings with us because they saw us as a "circus", and instead, they fully believed they could create an environment in which he would somehow thrive in.

Wasn't it supposed to be the Pep vs Jose era of English Football? Anyone with their eyes open knew that would never be the case because he was both past his best and becoming an insufferable, poisonous character.

It still staggers me that Chelsea fans thought he would actually go there and win the title.

4 minutes ago, Stim said:

You don't see how a man who has won the title in every managerial stint he has ever had could do it again ?

Nope, the warning signs were there from the first season (2013/14).

In fact, in isolation, the calendar year 2015 was not the best for us, save for an incredible moment in May. We didn't just fall of a cliff that summer, and people who were paying attention knew where Mourinho was heading and said so.

His managerial powers are on the wane, and have been since Real Madrid. That's understandable, football moves fast and he's simply fallen behind the times.

However, the methods he's employed to drag himself back to the top table are the reasons why he finds himself where he is today and why he will never be truly successful at a top club again. It's also why Rui Faria, who followed him *everywhere* eventually lost faith and chose a different path.

He won 2 trophies with United in 2 years, 4 since Real Madrid including a Premier League with us. Meanwhile Klopp and Pochettino have won nothing in that time.

What is considered successful for him and for everyone else is completely different.

We'll see where he pops up next.

1 minute ago, Stim said:

He won 2 trophies with United in 2 years, 4 since Real Madrid including a Premier League with us. Meanwhile Klopp and Pochettino have won nothing in that time.

What is considered successful for him and for everyone else is completely different.

We'll see where he pops up next.

That's true. He is measured against the best because he was the best. 

Sadly, for all the money he spent at United and the free reign to make signings in his first two seasons, all he has to show for it is a Carabao/EFL Cup which half the league don't take seriously as a competition, and a Europa League in which he had to sacrifice Manchester United's league position (sixth they finished) in order to win. It's ever decreasing circles. 

If he wants to enjoy football again, he should take over at an unsuccessful, success starved club and rediscover his love for being an underdog.

5 minutes ago, Le Fantôme Noir said:

That's true. He is measured against the best because he was the best. 

Sadly, for all the money he spent at United and the free reign to make signings in his first two seasons, all he has to show for it is a Carabao/EFL Cup which half the league don't take seriously as a competition, and a Europa League in which he had to sacrifice Manchester United's league position (sixth they finished) in order to win. It's ever decreasing circles. 

If he wants to enjoy football again, he should take over at an unsuccessful, success starved club and rediscover his love for being an underdog.

What a gamble that was going after the Europa and prioritising and winning it. If he had failed I think he would have been sacked that season and the manner in which we won it with that an improvised defence.

I really wanted him to get Perisic as seeing how he motivated Drogba, Sniedjer and Millito made me think he might just conjure up something yet they didn't back him with one more player and as the ex-player turned pundit Warnock said 'there's always likely to be trouble when you can't decide between merchandising or the football', I took the latter to mean Pogba.

17 minutes ago, just said:

Watching Pep today as his billion pound squad got beat by Woy I do wonder if he could ever do it without the money ....... like Jose did at Porto.

I don't think so. I don't think he would even bother trying.

He doesn't have to, he got his break at Barca and created arguably the best team of all time. Would You save up for a year working in Tesco for a holiday of a lifetime if you could work in a bank and afford it within a month?

On 21/12/2018 at 10:27, Stim said:

You don't see how a man who has won the title in every managerial stint he has ever had could do it again ?

I personally believed he wouldn't have, in the modern day he isn't a patch on Conte or Pep, and as i predicted it shown. 

Edited by Argo

Let me go Freudian for a moment.

Once upon a time Little Jose and his family sat around the Christmas table, the weight of yet another sacking of his father the football coach weighing on the family. Little Jose resolved to do something about it and set forth on his white steed to slay the many dragons of defeat.

All went well and Little Jose became Big Jose with many dead dragons in the form of trophies and accolades which he accumulated year by year. But then something began to niggle Big Jose and it all went sour (and dour) and Big Jose looked for the elixir which eluded him no matter how many trophies he won.

It was then that Big Jose remembered the atmosphere around the Christmas table when he was Little Jose. Yes there had been defeat but beneath all that was the family's compassion for the dejected father. Real love had asserted itself in the ruins of worldly defeat.

On 23/12/2018 at 13:10, just said:

Watching Pep today as his billion pound squad got beat by Woy I do wonder if he could ever do it without the money ....... like Jose did at Porto.

I don't think so. I don't think he would even bother trying.

Considering Pep took over Barca in 08, Barca recently won the champions league in 06 and had players like Messi, Xavi, Iniesta etc

Pep took over Bayern in 13, a team who almost won the Champions League in 12, then won the treble the next season.  

He then went to City and spent a metric sh*t tone.

Pep is a class manager, but he has never had a real Challenge.

On ?25?/?12?/?2018 at 08:34, kiwi1691 said:

Considering Pep took over Barca in 08, Barca recently won the champions league in 06 and had players like Messi, Xavi, Iniesta etc

Pep took over Bayern in 13, a team who almost won the Champions League in 12, then won the treble the next season.  

He then went to City and spent a metric sh*t tone.

Pep is a class manager, but he has never had a real Challenge.

We won in 2102. Pep never won treble with Munich. Pep took over after treble (2013??) and failed in champions league with probably best team in Europe. Jose has his critics but Porto were average and look at what he won. Inter were not special either!!!