Sign in to follow this  
dynamite

Who would win between todays Chelsea team and the Chelsesa side we had in 1998-2001?

Man I was having this debate earlier with one of my mates. We were basically discussing how this Chelsea team we currently have right now would do against teams we had in the past, especially the late 90s and early 2000s when we had the likes of Zola, Flo and  Vialli.  Di Matteo and Wise in midfield the likes of Desailly and Babayaro in defence. Does that Chelsea team beat the Chelsea team we have today?

It's hard to call one off games, anything can happen and it depends on a variety of different factors.

Today's side would finish higher over 38 games, no doubt about it!

Edited by Argo

5 hours ago, benjsross said:

The Chelsea of 98-01 is similar to an everton today. Odd question 

In what way? Because the 98-01 team work things, Everton won't.

3 hours ago, dkw said:

In what way? Because the 98-01 team work things, Everton won't.

In that we were the best of a load of teams that weren't going to win the league. Everton are that now. 

It wasn't meant to be an insulting comparison. Chelsea back then we're a good cup side, but weren't a top top team. The standard of the English league as well was far worse than it is now. 

In all honesty, the Chelsea of 98-01 would be relegated in today's league. 

10 minutes ago, benjsross said:

In that we were the best of a load of teams that weren't going to win the league. Everton are that now. 

It wasn't meant to be an insulting comparison. Chelsea back then we're a good cup side, but weren't a top top team. The standard of the English league as well was far worse than it is now. 

We were top of the league in the final few weeks of 98, we dropped stupid points and ended up 3rd but only 4 points behind the champions. 

As for the relegated thing, you're very very wrong. 

First 11-13 players strong but weakened when rotated for the likes of Duberry Nicholls Da la bonna Forsell etc. Needed a better keeper than De Goey.  

Petresceu   Wise    Di Matteo      Poyet   

What a midfield. Could defend, win the ball back, attack and score goals. 

With Ferrer    Desially   Le Beouf   Le Saux

John Terry  Melchiot  available. 

Zola Jimmy and Eidur 

If they kept Eden quiet, they had goals all through the team.

11 minutes ago, dkw said:

We were top of the league in the final few weeks of 98, we dropped stupid points and ended up 3rd but only 4 points behind the champions. 

The more pertinent question should be how many of today's team would get in the 99 team? We finished third to a very good Arsenal team and the team who were champions of Europe. It always makes me laugh his players are downgraded cos they played in a different decade. How long will it be till Zola is downgraded by some?

2 hours ago, benjsross said:

Come on, in 1999 we only finished 4 points behind arguably the best united team they ever had that won the treble that year, and you think that team would been relegated today lol. 

I would agree with you that I think the overall standard of the league is better though, but you're seriously under rating that Chelsea team we used to have, that team would still be a top 6 team easily. 

2 hours ago, dkw said:

Technically we had the players to win titles (we didn't win all those cups and have a solid record vs every top team bar Arsenal by fluke) but the lack of consistency and tendency to drop silly points always did us. The few weeks in December 2001 summed that era up in terms of the league, smashed United at Old Trafford, terrorized Liverpool at the home but the results in between those games were 0-1 home reverse to Charlton and a goalless draw at The Stadium of Light.

The 1998-99 Chelsea team is better was better placed to win the title than the Chelsea team of today.

That season we should have won the tile, but suffered huge amounts of bad luck and misfortune during the season. It's crazy when you look back and think they were still in the title race until the penultimate game.

Edited by Le Fantôme Noir

23 hours ago, benjsross said:

What a load of rubbish!

3 hours ago, Le Fantôme Noir said:

The 1998-99 Chelsea team is better was better placed to win the title than the Chelsea team of today.

That season we should have won the tile, but suffered huge amounts of bad luck and misfortune during the season. It's crazy when you look back and think they were still in the title race until the penultimate game.

Fully agree, we should have won the title that year. The deciding factor was the 2 draws against Middlesborough and Leicester.

7 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Fully agree, we should have won the title that year. The deciding factor was the 2 draws against Middlesborough and Leicester.

f**king Steve guppy...... 

23 hours ago, benjsross said:

I haven't posted for a while but I had to because of this utterly ludicrous post. Our most successful team for nearly 30 years that means so much to so many full of legends yet you feel they are they are in the calibre of Huddersfield, Fulham, Cardiff I really am stunned by this post.

1 hour ago, bluehaze said:

I haven't posted for a while but I had to because of this utterly ludicrous post. Our most successful team for nearly 30 years that means so much to so many full of legends yet you feel they are they are in the calibre of Huddersfield, Fulham, Cardiff I really am stunned by this post.

Alternatively Huddersfield,Fulham and Cardiff would finish within 4pts of the European Champions of 1999. 

The late 90's/early 2000's Chelsea side was like the Tottenham of the early 2010's - a Top 6 side with some quality players that could intermittently finish in the Top 4. This was in a much weaker PL, mind you - back then the PL was probably 4th best in the world.

Today's Chelsea team is inconsistent, but has proven perfectly capable of winning titles in recent history, in a much stronger PL. So I would pick today's Chelsea team.