Christian Pulisic - Official

Guest Sindre
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Almost £60mill for a player who spends a lot of time on the bench. I really hope our scouts are justifying their salaries with this signing and we haven't just fallen victim to getting in a bidding war over a player owned by a club that does shrewd business...

That said, if he does perform for us, it'll mean a lot of new American fans. Club could see it as a gamble worth taking.

So much negativity on here and on other Chelsea forums...

People need to remember that this kid is only 20 and will get a lot better. He has a very high ceiling and could become a very good player for us

Also he should fit into Sarri's system perfectly, he's a natural fit for our RW and has a lot of attributes that Sarri would like. 

Lastly his commercial potential is absolutely insane, this kid is going to be the poster boy for American football and will allow us to completely dominate that market. Nike are also huge in America

We are buying a very good player to replace our ageing options in Pedro and Willian, in today's market we haven't paid over the odds and he will only get better. He also suits our system perfectly

I'm excited about this signing and the board should be given credit IMO

1 hour ago, abigsmurf said:

Almost £60mill for a player who spends a lot of time on the bench. I really hope our scouts are justifying their salaries with this signing and we haven't just fallen victim to getting in a bidding war over a player owned by a club that does shrewd business...

That said, if he does perform for us, it'll mean a lot of new American fans. Club could see it as a gamble worth taking.

Can't be more of a waste of money than Morata.

As an American I can honestly say I don't know a lot about him but I am excited for his arrival. I don't think there's any way he can be more frustrating than Willian. Plus in the growing football culture here already see Pulisic USMNT jerseys a every MLS game I attend (I am an Atlanta United season ticket holder). From a standpoint of expanding the fan base, its a great deal. From the standpoint that we are upgrading on Willian and Pedro, I think it will pay off as well.

Edited by seanlu13913

No matter what its a huge gamble......but one that can pay dividens. If it Works, great stuff. If doesnt we can sell him cuz he is still very young. As long as its not an Eden replacement of course. But damn we did overpay.....what more baffling is why we have to wait 6months to get him. They really need him that much Dortmund? He is benched every game......and what if he gets a ligimant while there? Surely our Club has taken precautions? I dont believe we will get a ban......could have waited summer time and pay less or go for Fekir Baily etc if lost to another Club. He is most likely a Willy/Pedro replacement........overall overpaid a bit but I feel its gonna wrk just fine ( barring injuries of course ).

Could have sold Willy to barca and got him then.....would have paid less for him and Willy off the wages.

Edited by atomis

1 hour ago, Sparkz said:

So much negativity on here and on other Chelsea forums...

People need to remember that this kid is only 20 and will get a lot better. He has a very high ceiling and could become a very good player for us

Also he should fit into Sarri's system perfectly, he's a natural fit for our RW and has a lot of attributes that Sarri would like. 

Lastly his commercial potential is absolutely insane, this kid is going to be the poster boy for American football and will allow us to completely dominate that market. Nike are also huge in America

We are buying a very good player to replace our ageing options in Pedro and Willian, in today's market we haven't paid over the odds and he will only get better. He also suits our system perfectly

I'm excited about this signing and the board should be given credit IMO

The self hatred and hyperbolic negativity within our fan base at the moment is embarrassing, it's like a certain type of supporter believes the more they show how much they hate the things we do the bigger fan they are. It's so f**king weird.

7 hours ago, TheSage said:

He has scored only 15 goals in 115 Bundesliga appearances. One of our main problems is that our  forwards don't score enough. I hope we're not just adding to the same problem.  People can argue he is young and all that, but the club is paying 58million. 

It would be great if our scouts (if we have any) could uncover talents once in a while instead of always going for hyped players. I hope the club know what they're doing, but I'm not very convinced. 

This is my main worry too. I'm sorry to those that are super positive about this signing, but I just can't be that person when it comes to Pulisic. I think some of the replies to the people that don't think he is all that are bang out of order.

Yes he's young, but like you say, he only has 15 goals. His stats are no better than Willian's......actually, they are worse. We need goals in this team, there is no evidence to suggest that a lot of them are going to come from Pulisic.

He may go on to be great, he may not, but it's a massive risk. We already took big risks with Bakayoko and Morata, and neither of these two have worked out. Now we are taking a risk with another bench warmer.

I feel the same way with this signing as I felt towards the signing of Morata. If he was as good as they say he is, then he wouldn't be on the bench. The difference with Morata though is that he had Ronaldo in front of him, Pulisic's competition is Jordan Sancho. I have even seen people say he has a high ceiling similar to Hazard's......Hazard was at a much higher level at the same age.

I think fans have every right to be worried about this signing, and I am sure they would all love nothing more than for him to turn out to be a great signing for us.

2 hours ago, seanlu13913 said:

I wonder if they sold a single Miazga kit lol

What is he doing these days anyways?

I'd never heard of Miazga before Chelsea bought him. 

I think he was playing in a French side, and they dropped him and were looking to terminate his loan. He started at Nanted 8 of the first 9 games, they changed coaches and he hasn't really played since. 

16 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I have even seen people say he has a high ceiling similar to Hazard's

I've said that. I've backed off on that since the first time I said it,  but I made the comparison for two reasons 

1. Their ability to best guys 1v1. Hazard is amazing, Pulisic is really, really good.

2. The size. Hazard is much thicker in the lower half. 

I think it's absolutely fair to be apprehensive about this signing. I don't think there would he bear as much apprehension if Hazard and Hudson Odoi were settled. But I see those as different issues. This is for Willian/Pedro, and at this stage of their careers, I think he's already an upgrade. 

I'm excited AND apprehensive. 

But there are some extenuating circumstances for a several of your concerns.

1. He hasn't always been in the front 3. In fact for most of his career appearances at Dortmund, I believe he actually played in the midfield. I wouldn't bet my life on that one, just how I remember it .

2. On the playing time... he started the season injured... it's been reported that a deal was already in place for him with Chelsea last summer, Sancho took his chance really well, and Dortmund is off to a flying start. Any one of those factors would keep a player out of the team, all four at once and should we be surprised he's not playing as much. Might tell us a bit more that Dortmund refuses to let him go in January, no?

For goodness sake, the expectations at RW are so low right now that he's walking in to an ideal situation :biggrin:

There are valid concerns, and there are also valid reasons to genuinely like this signing. 

I hope he does incredibly well at Chelsea. I hope that for every Chelsea player and I hope that for every US Internatioal. So this one makes me doubly nervous! 

19 minutes ago, Skinnedy said:

1. Their ability to best guys 1v1. Hazard is amazing, Pulisic is really, really good.

Looking this up, I guess it was more quantitative than my eye test. He actually led the Bundesliga last year. What he can do after beating his man will determine if he becomes a productive player or not, but the talent is there. 

972950973df30e006bbf8c9dbbb79dfe.jpg

Disgusting the amount of hate I see towards the board and Pulisic atm. 

Before this season, Pulisic was one of dortmund's best players and played terrificly, he may have slightly dipped in form just this season, but for christs sakes hes only just turned 20... he has a very high ceiling, its just a case of whether he'll hit those lofty expectations. 

Even if he doesn't live upto the hype, the commercial value of him alone is VERY high, especially as football is growing in America and he's definitely going to grow our US fanbase.

and 58m for a 20 year old who's highly touted is actually a bargain in todays stupid market. I mean for the love of god we paid 35m for Drinkwater and 40m for Bakayoko (who tbf is redeeming himself at AC currently) but come on, 58m for a winger who we've been asking to sign for a long long time to replace Willian/Pedro and we're actually complaining? 

Can't wait for him to join us next season and tear up the league with Hazard on the opposite wing! Now if only we address a few more areas and we have a REALLY good squad on our hands

I am disgusted by some of you on here. This kid is 20 and with such a vast amount of experience. He will be the Future for hs. Mark my words. 

The ones already writing him off, can go do one in the outhouse. 

Excuse my french mods. I guess my buttons were pressed. 

A couple of issues I have are : First, any reinforcement this January? Are we already done transfer for this season and onto the next? It's a little strange to announce this one after 2 days into the new window, looks like business all done, particularly in terms of singing an attacker. Second, god forbid what if he gets a long term injury with Dortmund? We basically have our star signing on loan for another 6 months, if he's not playing everyone would be concerned we just signed a flop. If he is playing, let's pray he's not getting kicked every weekend. I honestly believed for that much money paid, we'd have him right now:mad:

4 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

A couple of issues I have are : First, any reinforcement this January? Are we already done transfer for this season and onto the next? It's a little strange to announce this one after 2 days into the new window, looks like business all done, particularly in terms of singing an attacker. Second, god forbid what if he gets a long term injury with Dortmund? We basically have our star signing on loan for another 6 months, if he's not playing everyone would be concerned we just signed a flop. If he is playing, let's pray he's not getting kicked every weekend. I honestly believed for that much money paid, we'd have him right now:mad:

For that much money, you wouldnt have got him unless we signed a contract allowing him to stay. In summer there could have been a bidding war and raised his price even further. 

People should be happy that the board targeted their man and got him this early. We got who we wanted. How in ANY REALM OF REALITY does this show we are done in the market this window? Am i going crazy or something? Lol

2 days in and were the only club who is moving in on the targets yet the board is bashed constantly for no reason. 

1 hour ago, Semper Fi said:

I am disgusted by some of you on here. This kid is 20 and with such a vast amount of experience. He will be the Future for hs. Mark my words. 

The ones already writing him off, can go do one in the outhouse. 

Excuse my french mods. I guess my buttons were pressed. 

The problem here is the likes of you and others not letting people have an opinion. Get over yourselves for f**k sake, we all have different opinions on things and we should be allowed to express them without people jumping down our throats. If you don't like it then what the hell are you doing on a forum in the first place?

I don't think he is that great, sorry, but that is just how I feel. A lot of people thought Bakayoko and Morata were going to be the next superstars, but look at them now. One is trying to revive his career on loan and the other is turning out to be a massive flop. 

I didn't see the likes of you complaining when people were moaning at the signing of Barkley. Is there a rule for the types of signings we can and can't critcise or something?

If he is good then great, we are all happy, but at this moment, I don't rate him very highly. What I have seen is a player that is very skillful, but lacks end product (a bit like Willian) and has now been dropped to the bench for another youngster. If he was as good as people are saying he is, then he would never have been dropped. It's like Morata, if he was as good as people were saying he was, then he would have been a regular at Juventus and Real Madrid.

If we weren't desperate for goals right now, maybe I would be a bit more excited about the prospects of this guy, but at this moment, In a time where we are desperate for goals, I was hoping we would bring in somebody that can actually score those goals. Pulisic may be good enough in 2 or 3 years time (he may even be terrible) but it doesn't do much for us right now.

Edited by Scott Harris

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

The problem here is the likes of you and others not letting people have an opinion. Get over yourselves for f**k sake, we all have different opinions on things and we should be allowed to express them without people jumping down our throats. If you don't like it then what the hell are you doing on a forum in the first place?

I don't think he is that great, sorry, but that is just how I feel. A lot of people thought Bakayoko and Morata were going to be the next superstars, but look at them now. One is trying to revive his career on loan and the other is turning out to be a massive flop. 

I didn't see the likes of you complaining when people were moaning at the signing of Barkley. Is there a rule for the types of signings we can and can't critcise or something?

If he is good then great, we are all happy, but at this moment, I don't rate him very highly. What I have seen is a player that is very skillful, but lacks end product (a bit like Willian) and has now been dropped to the bench for another youngster. If he was as good as people are saying he is, then he would never have been dropped. It's like Morata, if he was as good as people were saying he was, then he would have been a regular at Juventus and Real Madrid.

If we weren't desperate for goals right now, maybe I would be a bit more excited about the prospects of this guy, but at this moment, In a time where we are desperate for goals, I was hoping we would bring in somebody that can actually score those goals. Pulisic may be good enough in 2 or 3 years time (he may even be terrible) but it doesn't do much for us right now.

Obviously Pulisic isnt brought here for goals, he isnt joining us till next season so the point youre making is moot. Let the board worry about signing a goalscorer, Pulisic isnt getting in the way of us signing on a striker who can hit a barn door. I havent been active in the forum every month to keep track of the marry go round of our player bashing. Call it a coincidence if you want that I am now active on the forum to read these comments. 

If he isnt brought here to score goals, what is he brought here to do? Yes a striker would help, but we are desperate for our attacking mids to be able to produce, if he isnt going to help us score goals I really question how you can be excited avout this signing.

Also, why is everyone so quick to point out how he will help our «marked value»? Are we as fans getting a share of the profits? You know what would really help marked value? A player that bangs in goals