Christian Pulisic - Official

Sindre

Boy what a tough season... Hard for Chris when Mount and Werner love to occupy the left-hand side of the pitch but when he was on the left he was much more dangerous last season so this is another sign that we have an unbalanced squad - 2 starters that lean towards that left wing + Pulisic that gets to be forcefully played on the right wing while Ziyech the only real RW is sitting on the bench along side CHO.

Maybe he isn't flexible/versatile enough and has to work on some things but we had a few players this season that got switched around, certain things worked last season and one of them was Pulisic as a LW so Tuchel took a risk by not including Tammy and switching the position of Pulisic and using him in a smaller role while Werner is untouchable despite scoring only 6 goals in 35 games.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, goose said:

Whatever Axman, you know best.

That is unusually spiteful of you Goose, sorry you are not having a good day it seems mate.

6 minutes ago, Malcolm9 said:

He's a better player that's why.

Both him and Pulisic are really good players, the point I am trying to make is that everyone offensively we have is either way out of form, as in Werner, Zyiech, Havertz, Pulisic. Or they are so rusty due to lack of minutes they are not good options either, such as Giroud, Abraham, CHO.

There does not seem an outstanding option to say "this guy, this guy is on it and has to be picked". 

Edited by axman2526

30 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

That is unusually spiteful of you Goose, sorry you are not having a good day it seems mate.

Both him and Pulisic are really good players, the point I am trying to make is that everyone offensively we have is either way out of form, as in Werner, Zyiech, Havertz, Pulisic. Or they are so rusty due to lack of minutes they are not good options either, such as Giroud, Abraham, CHO.

There does not seem an outstanding option to say "this guy, this guy is on it and has to be picked". 

Our front 3 should be Werner, Havertz & Ziyech. Play Mount in attacking midfield with Kante and James behind him (4-3-3) Kova and Jorginho need to be dropped.

28 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Pulisic and Havertz are young players who are just like the 99% that have good games and bad games. They are not nearly finished growing as players yet.  We get spoiled by the Haalands and Mbappes of the world who are the exception not the norm.

For the final I would start Pulisic due to how City setup, his prior success against City, and he seems to play better on the big stage. If he is playing poorly he gets yanked at HT for Havertz. 

37 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

This is absolutely the case. . .   No one in the attack other than Mount has really shown consistently game in and out that they should be locked in as a starter.  They all have their moments but they all have a whole lot of "meh" between those moments.

If everyone is being honest, all the attackers have been a disappointment this season. Pulisic, Timo, Havertz, and Ziyech. I don't include Mount, because he's the one that's most consistent and I think Mount is a midfielder, more than an attacker.

There were so much hope for those 4 attackers going into the season, but they were all a big let down. Sure they had some nice moments and showed their talents, but they are far from what everyone expected from them.

I think they all need a big season next year, though I have the feeling Ziyech won't be here next season. He just seems like he doesn't fit the puzzle. 

I'll reserve my end of season judgement until the very last game has concluded. But, I do share the sentiment here that our attackers have underperformed. Various explanations can be given, covid season, managerial change, adapting to a new league the list goes on. 

The hope for Chris this season was that he would build upon last season. While not favoured originally by TT he broke into the team recently and is now one of the more likely players to play so credit to him for that.

Next season I expect him to really settle and start showing some that doubt he can stick it out at Chelsea that he is more than good enough to thrive at this level.

50 minutes ago, Malcolm9 said:

Our front 3 should be Werner, Havertz & Ziyech. Play Mount in attacking midfield with Kante and James behind him (4-3-3) Kova and Jorginho need to be dropped.

I like that midfield. How would you line up our back 4 and would you begin using it on Saturday or next season?

Pulisic is a real talent but he's had a massively disappointing season. He was awful yesterday. He seems to lack physical and mental toughness. I think he played yesterday with a fear of getting injured for the final, which would be the biggest game of his life. But it could well be that his poor performance means he won't be given a starting place.

12 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

If everyone is being honest, all the attackers have been a disappointment this season. Pulisic, Timo, Havertz, and Ziyech. I don't include Mount, because he's the one that's most consistent and I think Mount is a midfielder, more than an attacker.

There were so much hope for those 4 attackers going into the season, but they were all a big let down. Sure they had some nice moments and showed their talents, but they are far from what everyone expected from them.

I think they all need a big season next year, though I have the feeling Ziyech won't be here next season. He just seems like he doesn't fit the puzzle. 

I just look at all our attackers and there is none with a combination of strength, aggression and pace. Thats what we had with Costa and Drogba. 

He’s had a disappointing season in that he hasn’t pushed on from last year what so ever.

There was a few games around the Porto and Real Madrid games where he looked back to his best but he’s been off the pace now for a few games. 

I think Werner and Mount will start the final so it will be interesting to see who gets the final attacking spot. I’d probably prefer to see Pulisic start as he has the speed to hurt City and I think he’s been marginally better than both Havertz and Ziyech over the course of the season.

Having said that I don’t think he could have any complaints should he find himself starting on the bench after his last few performances. 

46 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

I like that midfield. How would you line up our back 4 and would you begin using it on Saturday or next season?

Chilwell, Rudiger, Silva, Azpi.

Christensen could play instead of Silva if required but I don't think he would be ready. I would play this team on Saturday as I believe we would be far more efficient in attack.

Hopefully Mendy is back to!.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Malcolm9 said:

Chilwell, Rudiger, Silva, Azpi.

Christensen could play instead of Silva if required but I don't think he would be ready. I would play this team on Saturday as I believe we would be far more efficient in attack.

Hopefully Mendy is back to!.

Not sure I trust Rudiger in a back 4. Would offer us more goal threat I am sure.

If Mendy and Kante are not back we will get nothing but a thrashing.

Edited by axman2526

Just now, axman2526 said:

Not sure I trust Rudiger in a back 4. Would offerors more goal threat I am sure.

If Mendy and Kante are not back we will get nothing but a thrashing.

Under Frank I would have had my doubts, but he's been solid under TT. I just think having that extra attacker will benefit us far more.

These guys have all played in a back four, they are good enough to adapt.

44 minutes ago, comtrend said:

I just look at all our attackers and there is none with a combination of strength, aggression and pace. Thats what we had with Costa and Drogba. 

Drogba spent his first two seasons laying on the floor when ever he got tapped.

Then toughened up when JT told him to stop rolling about... 

More like Captain useless since Real away.

Throw in Timo "offside widow", "the incredible Sulk" Hakim, "the mighty Bhor" Kai and "the forgetabless" Oliver, Tammy and Callum and we have our own marvel group.

Posted (edited)
On 24/05/2021 at 06:50, haviet1 said:

Agreed.

And, IMO, I think it comes down to two reasons:

1) Tuchel has favored 3-4-3 with only 3 true attacking players on the pitch. It solidified the defense, but at the cost of the attack. (Honestly, I think it was a tactically wise decision for this season.)

2) There is no Striker that the other attackers can say is the *man* — that dude will finish half chances. Without the elite finisher, the other creative guys try to do to much (Puli and Timo’s main problem, IMO). I think that has killed their confidence and form, and makes them streaky. That and they are young and not fully-formed players.  

I like Timo (his workrate is world-class and he creates for others). I like Puli when he’s at left-wing and can go directly at guys and cut onto his right foot — he’s really really good at that.

But we need a Haaland or a Kane. Then we play 4 attacking players with Puli or Werner on the left, and I think we see a completely different attack.

The chances have been created. We just need a go-to finisher. 

Edited by PetrCechYourself

Posted (edited)
On 25/05/2021 at 14:02, Jangz said:

Really you thought pulisic had a good game?

Seems fair to mention that he had an assist against Aston Villa.   Didn't mean much but I think another reason we've stopped winning is because the defense hasn't locked down the opposition like it used to.  

I didn't get to see this game and it wasn't even mentioned on here so I didn't realize until I came across an old FB post about the goal that Pulisic had that assist.  

Edited by Valpo

On 26/05/2021 at 04:38, PetrCechYourself said:

Agreed.

And, IMO, I think it comes down to two reasons:

1) Tuchel has favored 3-4-3 with only 3 true attacking players on the pitch. It solidified the defense, but at the cost of the attack. (Honestly, I think it was a tactically wise decision for this season.)

2) There is no Striker that the other attackers can say is the *man* — that dude will finish half chances. Without the elite finisher, the other creative guys try to do to much (Puli and Timo’s main problem, IMO). I think that has killed their confidence and form, and makes them streaky. That and they are young and not fully-formed players.  

I like Timo (his workrate is world-class and he creates for others). I like Puli when he’s at left-wing and can go directly at guys and cut onto his right foot — he’s really really good at that.

But we need a Haaland or a Kane. Then we play 4 attacking players with Puli or Werner on the left, and I think we see a completely different attack.

The chances have been created. We just need a go-to finisher. 

100% agree. People need to realise that we ultimately play with only three attacking players. In the last game that was Pulisic, Mount and Werner. None of these are strikers, and they are expected to carry the whole attacking threat of the team. Mount himself is a midfielder albeit playing more advanced. If they had a focal point up front, they could concentrate on creating and chipping in with goals when spaces arise. the only way i see it improving is if we dropped to a back 4 or only playing one holding mid. when kante plays at least he bombs forward, and gives us more strength in attak. Since he's been gone, we've really struggled.