Christian Pulisic - Official

Sindre

On 24/05/2021 at 14:50, haviet1 said:

If everyone is being honest, all the attackers have been a disappointment this season. Pulisic, Timo, Havertz, and Ziyech. I don't include Mount, because he's the one that's most consistent and I think Mount is a midfielder, more than an attacker.

There were so much hope for those 4 attackers going into the season, but they were all a big let down. Sure they had some nice moments and showed their talents, but they are far from what everyone expected from them.

I think they all need a big season next year, though I have the feeling Ziyech won't be here next season. He just seems like he doesn't fit the puzzle. 

I would go as far to question what is actually done in training, if anything, in pattern of play and finishing in the final third. Our attacking midfielders and forward players have been abysmal this season in front of goal compared to the chances created. In fact you can see that we can develop play to about 20 - 22 yards out and immediately all idea and creativity drains away from the players regardless who they are. Every initial thought is a negative, safety first move so that when we do find ourselves in the position where we have to be forceful and relentlessly attack, the players just don't have the tools to do so.

My feeling is Havetz will start on Saturday and Pullisic will be the impact sub. He just hasn't been good since that Madrid game, not helped by playing on the right in some of the games. Havetz, although hasn't been much either lately,  better at finding space and moving into the channels. Against a team who will press high, could find space to exploit.

Going to be a lot of pressure from American public for him to leave. America doesn't want its best soccer player being a sub. Personally, this system does not fit him at all. Chelsea will sign a striker, pushing Werner out wide - no way Tuchel benches his boy. So, it will be a new striker, Mount, and Werner up front. Writing is on the wall. Time to get out.

Posted (edited)

He didn't start any of the big games down the home stretch. He literally has the weight of the US on his shoulders. Americans don't want a their best player to be labeled a super sub. Just being honest. Unless things change drastically, Pulisic will go where he can be the man and not have to wonder week to week where he stands. Tuchel played him out of position most of the year - he is a LEFT winger. Tuchel had him exclusively on the right, and today up top??Why stay as a sub who is played out of his best position constantly when you can go elsewhere, play your best position, and start?

Edited by USATim

37 minutes ago, USATim said:

He didn't start any of the big games down the home stretch. He literally has the weight of the US on his shoulders. Americans don't want a their best player to be labeled a super sub. Just being honest. Unless things change drastically, Pulisic will go where he can be the man and not have to wonder week to week where he stands. Tuchel played him out of position most of the year - he is a LEFT winger. Tuchel had him exclusively on the right, and today up top??Why stay as a sub who is played out of his best position constantly when you can go elsewhere, play your best position, and start?

I get your point about him playing on the Left.

Yet for me he needs to play in a more offensive team, TT  with our current squad has played quite defensive and that means Pulisic is too closely marked. This for me was why he was more successful last season. 

47 minutes ago, USATim said:

And then when you get dropped again or get injured, you have to find another club that will play you. and so on and so on.

3 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

I get your point about him playing on the Left.

Yet for me he needs to play in a more offensive team, TT  with our current squad has played quite defensive and that means Pulisic is too closely marked. This for me was why he was more successful last season. 

Agreed. And I don't see Tuchel switching up a formula that just won the CL final. You guys know Chelsea is going to sign a striker. That happens, and Tuchel sticks with this scheme, then you got Mount, Werner, Havertz and Pulisic playing wide. And, right now, Pulisic is number four of those four. Sorry, just think, for his career and needing to take advantage of being the best player in US history, which he is RIGHT NOW, he needs to be starting on a regular basis. Again, strictly speaking as an American, he is a much more attractive icon here as a starter. And I understand, and respect, that you guys dont give a crap about that, but those thoughts will play a factor in what Pulisic does.

Just now, coco said:

And then when you get dropped again or get injured, you have to find another club that will play you. and so on and so on.

Or, you go somewhere where your talents are respected and you are viewed at more than a "super sub."

1 minute ago, USATim said:

Or, you go somewhere where your talents are respected and you are viewed at more than a "super sub."

He's in the best team in the World, of course he won't be leaving, thankfully he has his head screwed on and wouldn't make such a daft move. not without giving it his all first.

3 minutes ago, USATim said:

You don't get a free starting spot because you're the best player in the national team. He is respected at the club but this is the reality of playing for a club that challenges for honours. You need to take your opportunity and perform when given the chance, If you don't do that and have no desire to improve then you end up at Tottenham or Bolton being a big fish in a small pond swimming in circles.

4 minutes ago, coco said:

He's in the best team in the World, of course he won't be leaving, thankfully he has his head screwed on and wouldn't make such a daft move. not without giving it his all first.

Are you an American? Because you don't understand the mindset over here at all. No way in hell he acquiesces to a sub role. Way too much at stake to be visual to America on a consistent basis. And, if your ass is on the bench watching Werner pull w**ker after w**ker but being a Tuchel favorite, it is time to go. There are other great clubs that run a different scheme, where Pulisic can actually play his best position,  and florish.

5 minutes ago, Luca Vialli said:

You don't get a free starting spot because you're the best player in the national team. He is respected at the club but this is the reality of playing for a club that challenges for honours. You need to take your opportunity and perform when given the chance, If you don't do that and have no desire to improve then you end up at Tottenham or Bolton being a big fish in a small pond swimming in circles.

Agreed. But Americans don't feel that Havertz or Werner is better. But they ARE German. And Pulisic isn't.  And believe me, if Pulisic has a choice of being a fulltime starter at a Tottenham, or seeing 20 minutes of mop up duty at the end of a game where he is played as the lone striker going against four defenders because Chelsea is trying to run out the clock like today, or is playing on the right side as a team has packed all 10 guys in the box like we saw against Aston Villa, Pulisic would probably want to start. If he plays the first half today with how wide open MC back line was, he would have had a field day.

Pulisic started 4 of the last 5 EPL games

Pulisic started 1 of the last 5 CL games, and played significant minutes in the other 4.

This concept of Pulisic being a "super sub" needs to go away.

As an American, sure I love to see him start in the CL Final but his form has been off this season and he had yet to "force" TT to start him every game. 

I am confident that next season, he will find his boots again and become an undisputed starer.

Chelsea will push for EPL title next season, as well as defending their CL trophy and Pulisic have the chance to make himself a key contributor. Like, I said, Pulisic is not going anywhere. Pulisic will do what's best for Pulisic, not what the American public think or want.

19 minutes ago, USATim said:

Agreed. But Americans don't feel that Havertz or Werner is better. But they ARE German. And Pulisic isn't.  And believe me, if Pulisic has a choice of being a fulltime starter at a Tottenham, or seeing 20 minutes of mop up duty at the end of a game where he is played as the lone striker going against four defenders because Chelsea is trying to run out the clock like today, or is playing on the right side as a team has packed all 10 guys in the box like we saw against Aston Villa, Pulisic would probably want to start. If he plays the first half today with how wide open MC back line was, he would have had a field day.

He came on and offered very little and fluffed the big chance. 

When he gets minutes he doesn't impress. 

Simple as 

5 minutes ago, USATim said:

You lost me at Tottenham.

No, but seriously, I understand where you're coming from, as it works quite similar here in Brazil with our superstars like Neymar or prospects like Vinícius Jr or Reinier. They (the media, fans, former players) just won't stop bombarding the player with all that crap about carrying the nation on their shoulders even if the situation is ideal for them to thrive. Neymar leaving Barcelona to be the alpha on Paris is a sign of that. Had he stayed there he'd probably have won the CL another time. 

I hope Pulisic is smarter than that and stays, improves his game and fight for his place. 

Whoever thinks TT is selecting Werner on the sole reason of his nationality isn't watching the games or thinking tactically at all. Both players had major f*ck ups this season, Puli's been a shadow of himself, running into walls, not being efficient on the counter (just like tonight), so it's not really a case of favourites here. Had he scored that opportunity tonight we'd be all praising him for killing the game, yet once again he failed to do so (just like Werner). 

35 minutes ago, USATim said:

Lol, the last American to play for Tottenham won feck all.

4 hours ago, USATim said:

Are you an American? Because you don't understand the mindset over here at all. No way in hell he acquiesces to a sub role. Way too much at stake to be visual to America on a consistent basis. And, if your ass is on the bench watching Werner pull w**ker after w**ker but being a Tuchel favorite, it is time to go. There are other great clubs that run a different scheme, where Pulisic can actually play his best position,  and florish.

I'm an American and Pulisic is my favorite player on the planet. I'd rather have him on Chelsea playing in whatever role he's being asked to play than starting on some trash fire team struggling to stay over the line. Honestly, seeing him get injured so much recently, I'm not unhappy having him come on as an impact player because it allows him go 100% for shorter time frames. "America" doesn't give a sh*t about soccer right now, but Pulisic can change that and he can do that by being a key part of this team which he has been. When you're scoring against Real Madrid and dropping dimes, that's spectacular whether or not you're starting.

4 hours ago, USATim said:

I am an American and I know Pulisic has the fighting spirit to battle for a spot. If I recall he was benched by Sancho before he left Dortmund for Chelsea and obviously knew he wasn't guaranteed a starting spot because we still had Hazard when we signed him. Pulisic isn't a coward and won't back down from a fight. He will compete for his spot and be a better player for it. The media are the main problem for him , he is be still young and should be allowe to grow at his own pace