Christian Pulisic - Official

Sindre

8 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

I get your point about him playing on the Left.

Yet for me he needs to play in a more offensive team, TT  with our current squad has played quite defensive and that means Pulisic is too closely marked. This for me was why he was more successful last season. 

I don't think it is about being in more offensive or defensive system. That really won't change anything. If you want puli to play well, it is easy play him on the left and play him as lw more than a 10. 

Posted (edited)

First American to appear in and win a Champions League Final. Records in football are broken all the time but the ones that are cemented in history are records like these. He will go down in Champions League and United States Football history and for that he should be extremely proud.

Edited by AlexTommo

I came across this comment somewhere else:

My god I had to mute the game when Pulisic came on. They must have told the team to only talk about the AMERICAN, and how he is AMERICAN, and how is the first AMERICAN male to play in the Champions League final, and how great it is it because he is AMERICAN.

If only he had converted his chance then it might have really pxxxxd off this blogger.

On 29/05/2021 at 18:55, USATim said:

Agreed. But Americans don't feel that Havertz or Werner is better. But they ARE German. And Pulisic isn't.  And believe me, if Pulisic has a choice of being a fulltime starter at a Tottenham, or seeing 20 minutes of mop up duty at the end of a game where he is played as the lone striker going against four defenders because Chelsea is trying to run out the clock like today, or is playing on the right side as a team has packed all 10 guys in the box like we saw against Aston Villa, Pulisic would probably want to start. If he plays the first half today with how wide open MC back line was, he would have had a field day.

Hold on though. . . I'm an American and he's probably best off staying at Chelsea.  

First of all we don't know how things are going to play out in terms of a long season.  So he should stay and fight for a spot.  

Secondly and more importantly Tuchel rotates his players a lot.  Only Mount, Kante, and Mendy were considered undroppable in big games.  Down the stretch of the EPL season Pulisic got a lot more time on the pitch than Havertz.

7 hours ago, Valpo said:

Hold on though. . . I'm an American and he's probably best off staying at Chelsea.  

First of all we don't know how things are going to play out in terms of a long season.  So he should stay and fight for a spot.  

Secondly and more importantly Tuchel rotates his players a lot.  Only Mount, Kante, and Mendy were considered undroppable in big games.  Down the stretch of the EPL season Pulisic got a lot more time on the pitch than Havertz.

Biggest games, he rode the bench. Sorry, doesn't cut it.

22 hours ago, Valpo said:

i think if can sort his injuries we will be unplayable.. with his direct running people will have to go tight to him leaving spaces behind.. and then if you coupled that with Werner's ability to run behind defences it will be absolute mayhem..

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, USATim said:

Biggest games, he rode the bench. Sorry, doesn't cut it.

Champion's league semi-final 1st leg he started.  Got the crucial away goal.  Not a big enough game for you?

Games at the end of the EPL season that were crucial to getting in the top 4 to qualify for the Champion's league isn't big enough for you?

Sure he's rotated in and out of the lineup, but that's been going on all year with a lot of different players, not just Pulisic.  

And while Pulisic was really actually healthy (Which wasn't really til maybe April of this year, before that he kept feeling pain in his Hamstring and would pull himself out.) there is a whole host of players who didn't get nearly the minutes he did.  Ziyech, Abraham. . . Honestly Havertz didn't even get the minutes he did.

And that's not to mention with another team such as Spurs he wouldn't be in these games in the first place.  Not as a sub and not as a starter.  

Edited by Valpo

This talk about Christian being able to make a significant impact in how the USA views "Soccer", lol you make me laugh Tim.

For a long, long time the US has produced brilliant Womens teams and players, and the majority of the US still dont give 2 sh*ts about "Soccer".

Tim Howard, top goalkeeper for Everton, United and the national team, players like Clint Dempsey and Claudio Reyna, did the majority of the US care? Nope still did not give 2 sh*ts about "Soccer".

Do small pockets care about Christian? Sure, like his home town. Do the majority of the US care he just won the CL, that he scored against the most famous team in the world in a semi final? I would venture most of them dont even know what the CL is as they, and you have guessed it by now, dont give 2 sh*ts about "Soccer".

The US is, and always has been, a country so internally focused on their own sports, NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, Collage sports, pro wrestling etc there is simply no room for "Soccer" to make a dent. Had it been invented in the US maybe that would be different but imo it will never change.

19 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

This talk about Christian being able to make a significant impact in how the USA views "Soccer", lol you make me laugh Tim.

For a long, long time the US has produced brilliant Womens teams and players, and the majority of the US still dont give 2 sh*ts about "Soccer".

Tim Howard, top goalkeeper for Everton, United and the national team, players like Clint Dempsey and Claudio Reyna, did the majority of the US care? Nope still did not give 2 sh*ts about "Soccer".

Do small pockets care about Christian? Sure, like his home town. Do the majority of the US care he just won the CL, that he scored against the most famous team in the world in a semi final? I would venture most of them dont even know what the CL is as they, and you have guessed it by now, dont give 2 sh*ts about "Soccer".

The US is, and always has been, a country so internally focused on their own sports, NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, Collage sports, pro wrestling etc there is simply no room for "Soccer" to make a dent. Had it been invented in the US maybe that would be different but imo it will never change.

It can change but the change is not going to be as fast as people expect it to be.  And it's going to be in part driven by immigrants and their families.

But I started following soccer in the late 90's and I can tell you that it was much much more of a niche market than it is today.  The MLS for example is a much bigger deal now than it was when it started. . . it's profitable.  Honestly when it started I thought it would go bankrupt.  You had to search really really hard to find the MLS games back when it started.  Now you can get EPL games and Bundesliga games broadcast on American TV.  

So the change has happened. . . it has grown.  But yes your average American still isn't really aware of it until maybe the World Cup.  

Pulisic is going to help but he's not going to make rabid soccer fans of the American public overnight or even in his career.  This stuff takes time.  

Posted (edited)

In other news it sounds as if Pulisic is getting right into national team duty almost immediately.  Nation's league kicks off against Honduras tomorrow.

Berhalter said that Pulisic "probably" will start.

I have no idea why he wouldn't start the best player on the pitch for either side.  I mean I guess he probably hasn't had much time to train with the national team after the Champion's league win but that might change things if the US had anyone else at his position close to his caliber.  

Edited by Valpo

1 hour ago, Valpo said:

It can change but the change is not going to be as fast as people expect it to be.  And it's going to be in part driven by immigrants and their families.

But I started following soccer in the late 90's and I can tell you that it was much much more of a niche market than it is today.  The MLS for example is a much bigger deal now than it was when it started. . . it's profitable.  Honestly when it started I thought it would go bankrupt.  You had to search really really hard to find the MLS games back when it started.  Now you can get EPL games and Bundesliga games broadcast on American TV.  

So the change has happened. . . it has grown.  But yes your average American still isn't really aware of it until maybe the World Cup.  

Pulisic is going to help but he's not going to make rabid soccer fans of the American public overnight or even in his career.  This stuff takes time.  

Good reply and good to hear. Thank you.

3 hours ago, axman2526 said:

I think it will change, it has to. And the 2 reasons why it will change IMO, are these:

1 - Internet

2 - Social media

As you see more and more people turning away from NHL and MLB, you see more (especially the younger adults) are turning to soccer. Like Valpo said, change takes time. But at least soccer is trending in the right direction in the US; and readily available access to soccer contents and their stars are the key driver/enabler of this change.

34 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

I think it will change, it has to. And the 2 reasons why it will change IMO, are these:

1 - Internet

2 - Social media

As you see more and more people turning away from NHL and MLB, you see more (especially the younger adults) are turning to soccer. Like Valpo said, change takes time. But at least soccer is trending in the right direction in the US; and readily available access to soccer contents and their stars are the key driver/enabler of this change.

We just need more cheerleaders, half time shows and dozens of food adverts for MLS games. It'll draw even more people from the US.

The trick to getting anything popular is the right marketing. 

59 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

1 - Internet

2 - Social media

When I started following Chelsea I was shocked at how easy it was to catch EPL matches over here. 

I don't know if Champion's league games (besides the final) are as easy to see because I'm always working during those games and I listen on my phone.  

Most annoying one is the FA cup.  I don't get that on TV here, not even the final.  

But that kind of coverage was unthinkable in the '90's.  So it's growing.   But no you arn't going to wake up one day and have Champion's league or EPL discussions with your co-workers the way the NFL is discussed.  (And for the record I'm a big American football fan too.  Iowa Hawkeyes and Indianapolis Colts)

Seems clear that Tuchel rates CP high enough that he won't ask the team to unload him.  Thus, any move would probably have to be initiated by Pulisic and I don' see him asking for a move.    

The way he played and celebrated after the game, doesn't looks like a playerwant to move on. He has a chance to defend the CL next season, play the super club and world club cup ( whatever it's called these days), and he wants to leave just to start a few more games? Sure, he could go to Spurs and be a starter, only to play Thursday night football somewhere in Belgium, or he could be on the main stage. If he's doing enough, he'd start more games. He hasn't been good after the Madrid game, absolutely the right call to start him off the bench, and the likes of Ziyech didn't even make onto the field.

I don’t think he’s even thought about going somewhere else, let’s not forget that we were the only club who had belief and faith in him when nobody else wanted him. I genuinely believe that if we didn’t sign him, he’d still be at Dortmund now.

I think he’s here for a long time. Even if he only gives us half a season of his best form, still a bloody good player to have in the squad.

5 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

The way he played and celebrated after the game, doesn't looks like a playerwant to move on. He has a chance to defend the CL next season, play the super club and world club cup ( whatever it's called these days), and he wants to leave just to start a few more games? Sure, he could go to Spurs and be a starter, only to play Thursday night football somewhere in Belgium, or he could be on the main stage. If he's doing enough, he'd start more games. He hasn't been good after the Madrid game, absolutely the right call to start him off the bench, and the likes of Ziyech didn't even make onto the field.

Ehh I'm not saying he's moving on or anything but I don't think you can read into that too much.  Giroud was celebrating like crazy too and I've heard that he's already inked a deal to play in Italy.

Abraham was also pretty happy and he seems to be #1 on our list of guys to sell.

I think everyone was just excited that they could say they were part of a Champion's league winning squad.  Even Kepa was excited and he's in the tough position of having been relegated to 2nd choice keeper.  

The only way Pulisic leaves is 1. For profit. 2. To play under a manager and in a team he personally feels will provide him with better development (very hard to find a better option that his current one). 3. Because we deem him surplus. Currently the only one I see even being relevant is number 2 if Pulisic feels he would get more game time somewhere else. 

Again where could this possibly be? You can't honestly tell me he gets into that front 3 at Liverpool. I don't think he's the kind of player Pep needs atm could be wrong (every team should want a Pulisic).

He won't leave the prem anytime soon it's his dream to be here and win the title. He's closer now to his dream than ever before, he's been with us for 2 seasons and contested 4 cup finals and won 1. The most significant one in world club football. 

Any media coverage that claims the contrary to this is mere speculation. Until anyone hears from a reliable source (trusted journalist or Christian himself) I wouldn't pay any attention to rumours linking him with a move away.

If anything in the next year or two expect to hear talk over an extension if he continues to turn up in big games. Also I'm not convinced he missed his chance in the finals from my reply I saw Ederson get a hand to it and it perhaps should have been a corner.