Christian Pulisic - Official

Sindre

I think that if Pulisic gains some muscle mass and avoids injuries that he can become pretty much unplayable on the left wing.

He's only 22 years old, much room for improvement and it's good that he might not be happy with his role as a sub player meaning it's good that he wants to be a starter so just keep working.

If we change to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 he is a clear starter on the left wing, simply a better winger than Timo that's for sure.

Posted (edited)

Wow, Mexico drew a penalty which was saved by the number 2 keeper who was on due to injury too the number 1 keeper.

Really entertaining match.

Edit: USA wins 3 to 2.

Edited by Valpo

He had a pretty quiet game but took the team on his shoulders when it mattered. Won the pen in the second half of extra time and took it with confidence. Game winner. And he somehow managed to stay on the pitch for 130 minutes at altitude. 

Legendary win against a Mexico side that would trouble many top teams. 

2 hours ago, Valpo said:

Wow, Mexico drew a penalty which was saved by the number 2 keeper who was on due to injury too the number 1 keeper.

Really entertaining match.

Edit: USA wins 3 to 2.

Saw the highlights.. looked like quite an ill-tempered match.. But clearly it meant a lot to the USMNT .. Mexico had a good squad too. 

On 05/06/2021 at 00:18, axman2526 said:

As guddy put it, try not to EVER look at that crappy Daily Rag again... they just write nonsense all the time :0)

They are also as reliable and as factual as my clone story.

The Daily Fail is running today the clone story as "An inside source at Chelsea..."

5 hours ago, jbdiver said:

He had a pretty quiet game but took the team on his shoulders when it mattered. Won the pen in the second half of extra time and took it with confidence. Game winner. And he somehow managed to stay on the pitch for 130 minutes at altitude. 

Legendary win against a Mexico side that would trouble many top teams. 

He had some really good passes that were not finished.

Also his corners were spot on.  3 different corners lead to a shot on goal. One hit the woodwork and was finished by Reyna, and 2 led to really good saves by Mexico's keeper.

It was a solid game before the penalty, but you are right that it wasn't a standout performance til then.

3 hours ago, Jangz said:

Saw the highlights.. looked like quite an ill-tempered match.. But clearly it meant a lot to the USMNT .. Mexico had a good squad too. 

Mexico/USA matches are always a ill tempered although this one was more than most.  

It is the biggest rivalry in the region because when looking at CONCACAF competitions, almost every single one is won by either Mexico or USA.

It does not help that the US is always in effect playing away matches in this rivalry.  Due to the number of immigrants from Mexico we have andthe lack of interest in soccer in much of the rest of the population even matches in the most northerly parts of the US usually have more fans for Mexico showing up than US fans.

1 hour ago, Valpo said:

He had some really good passes that were not finished.

Also his corners were spot on.  3 different corners lead to a shot on goal. One hit the woodwork and was finished by Reyna, and 2 led to really good saves by Mexico's keeper.

It was a solid game before the penalty, but you are right that it wasn't a standout performance til then.

He wasn’t good in the 1st half.  He was pretty good in the 2nd.

1 hour ago, Valpo said:

Mexico/USA matches are always a ill tempered although this one was more than most.  

It is the biggest rivalry in the region because when looking at CONCACAF competitions, almost every single one is won by either Mexico or USA.

It does not help that the US is always in effect playing away matches in this rivalry.  Due to the number of immigrants from Mexico we have andthe lack of interest in soccer in much of the rest of the population even matches in the most northerly parts of the US usually have more fans for Mexico showing up than US fans.

Why I have my doubts the sport will ever be seen as something of importance in the US.

27 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Why I have my doubts the sport will ever be seen as something of importance in the US.

Thing is that immigrants down generations start identifying more with their new country rather than the old.

I don't know what the ceiling is, but I do know we are way better off than 30 years ago.

Go look up the teams that the 1990 world cup squad played for.  Most played for semi pro teams in the US that no longer exist, a few were still college players and a few played in some European 2nd divisions.

In the 30 years since we have gone from that to a profitable MLS and a squad of players that is mostly European based with a few playing on the biggest clubs in Europe.  

Like I said I don't know what the ceiling is for the sport here but 30 years ago all of this was unthinkable. 

Looked like an typical dive, I hope he gets better because he's falling so much and in the PL he wouldn't get away with it, at least he doesn't need to play the Euros...

41 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Looked like an typical dive, I hope he gets better because he's falling so much and in the PL he wouldn't get away with it, at least he doesn't need to play the Euros...

It was originally not called but was reviewed and called after VAR review.  It was the right call.

20 minutes ago, Valpo said:

It was originally not called but was reviewed and called after VAR review.  It was the right call.

To me it's a dive but he took the penalty superbly. Guardado can't say the same!

5 hours ago, Munkworth said:

Dave’s trophy lift > Puli’s trophy lift

Dave probably had more experiences with trophies 😂

I know it's just a Concacaf Nations League trophy, but it's always a good thing for young players to win trophies and titles. Hope this give him a bit more confidence boost and swag. 

Also, he was the Captain for the team in a title match. That's quite an honor. 

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

To me it's a dive but he took the penalty superbly. Guardado can't say the same!

That PK was very well taken. It surprised me quite a bit. 

If Pulisic is like Bale and playing for his country is his highest aim, I would not be surprised to see him move on.

When we have played Werner consistently on the left that deprives Pulisic of his best moments so I think it is 50/50 whether he stays.

Posted (edited)

The Mexico - USA game last night was PEAK CONCACAF nonsense. Also, you could tell that they were not used to playing with each other, and the quality drop from Chelsea to the USMNT is quite noticeable; I'm sure it is noticeable to Pulisic

Edited by chiefBlueCFC

1 hour ago, haviet1 said:

Dave probably had more experiences with trophies 😂

I know it's just a Concacaf Nations League trophy, but it's always a good thing for young players to win trophies and titles. Hope this give him a bit more confidence boost and swag. 

Also, he was the Captain for the team in a title match. That's quite an honor. 

Hopefully there are many more in his future so he can perfect the method :good2:

22 minutes ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

The Mexico - USA game last night was PEAK CONCACAF nonsense. Also, you could tell that they were not used to playing with each other, and the quality drop from Chelsea to the USMNT is quite noticeable; I'm sure it is noticeable to Pulisic

The US has 6 players that play for legit year in year out knockout phase Champions league teams (all of the field players being 22 or younger).  Another 2 players who play for teams that qualified into the group stage out of Germany and France (Brooks and Weah), and 4 more players what will play in Champions league qualifying (and i would guess  2 makes it through to the Group stage).  There is plenty of talent on the team.  I have my doubts about the US coach's ability to get the most out of the talent but that is plenty of talent and way above average for national teams outside Argentina, Brazil, and top European teams.  CONCACAF games are always ugly because teams play it that way, conditions are often really tough, and the refs are terrible.     

One of the reasons I don't think Chelsea will willingly part with Pulisic, is the US is primed to make an impact at the next WC and Pulisic will be the star player.  US players that preform on the WC stage become legit famous in the US.  CP will be valuable to any club not only for his on the field performance he can bring but probably even more financially valuable for what he brings off the field as well once that happens.   

8 hours ago, Valpo said:

I'm surprised it wasn't bigger considering almost half the US population was anti-Mexican for the past 4 years