Christian Pulisic - Official

Sindre

7 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Why I have my doubts the sport will ever be seen as something of importance in the US.

It may never be the top sport, but don't underestimate what is percolating below the surface. The newest MLS club (Austin) thought that a new 20,000 seat stadium would be right-sized for that city. They sold out season tickets for 3/4 of the stadium in no time; now they have a 21,000 person waiting list for season tickets, and most of those people want > 1 ticket.  The sport doesn't get proper coverage in US mainstream sports outlets, but it enjoys more support than people realize. All that is going to pay off on the pitch eventually, IMO. Indeed, the core of the current team is pretty good, much better than their manager.

1 hour ago, Deino said:

I'm surprised it wasn't bigger considering almost half the US population was anti-Mexican for the past 4 years

Meh I would say that portion of the population is almost universally not soccer fans.  That portion of our population tends to think soccer is some sort of communist plot.  

3 hours ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

The Mexico - USA game last night was PEAK CONCACAF nonsense. Also, you could tell that they were not used to playing with each other, and the quality drop from Chelsea to the USMNT is quite noticeable; I'm sure it is noticeable to Pulisic

The talent level on the US team is a pretty mixed bag.  A couple of starters are going to be playing 2nd division in Europe next year while you have starters who play a pretty good amount of time for teams like Juve, Barca, and Dortmund.  Our starting keeper who was injured in the game is Man City's number 2 keeper.

We're actually fairly strong in the attack except for our starting 9 who is terrible and his pro team just got relegated to 2 Bundesliga.  

Save for Sergio Dest the defense is not very strong.  

52 minutes ago, Valpo said:

Meh I would say that portion of the population is almost universally not soccer fans.  That portion of our population tends to think soccer is some sort of communist plot.  

The talent level on the US team is a pretty mixed bag.  A couple of starters are going to be playing 2nd division in Europe next year while you have starters who play a pretty good amount of time for teams like Juve, Barca, and Dortmund.  Our starting keeper who was injured in the game is Man City's number 2 keeper.

We're actually fairly strong in the attack except for our starting 9 who is terrible and his pro team just got relegated to 2 Bundesliga.  

Save for Sergio Dest the defense is not very strong.  

John Brooks is pretty damn good.

Big game player, wins the pen and converts in a final. Expect Christian to follow this momentum into the next season. If Liverpool are anything to go buy they followed UCL title win with a prem, euro super cup and club world cup title. I could see at the very least our team winning the former two and the latter may be dependant on signing a top class striker.

Either way I think Pulisic if given more game time will step up even more from his first two seasons. If memory serves me right it took Eden three seasons before he started to own the league and CR7 as well.

• 3 weeks later...

It doesn't look good admittedly but, let's not blow it anymore out of proportion than the media or the SJW of social media are. Pulisic whilst 22 is still very young and doesn't really understand that every little thing he does will be heavily scrutinised.

Now I'm not an expert on fishing and I have never heard of that particular fish. I'm sure Christian and his family were unaware it was endangered and didn't mean to disrespect a living being.

Clearly they were stupid and him falling in the water was not him intentionally abusing the fish as some people on twitter have put it. He's a kid and kids make mistakes I mean come on who goes on a boat and brings a football or better yet goes fishing and brings a ball?

I think its fine to condem the actions but, I find it highly unlikely he was the one who caught the fish and everyone involved has a share of the blame. It seems to me it was a video that went wrong and Christian doesn't take him self so seriously so he uploaded the video anyway.

He pulls off a good football trick on the side of a boat and proceeds to falls in, sadly on the fish. He finds it funny so did his family but, obviously they were unaware that they had caught an endangered species (I assume they didn't know) and its not like they would be laughing at the fish's pain. 

If they were going to kill it they would have already brought it on board already. So clearly they just wanted to catch it and make a video which they thought was a good idea ( hindsight they would probably see its poor taste now) and he accidentally falls on the fish and may have caused it some pain but its unintentional and I don't think he should be seen as a 'bad guy'.

I just think as Chelsea fans we have to stick by our players, no one is perfect and we all make mistakes. I don't agree with anything that falls under the category of harming animals for sport. I think catching a fish only to send it back again is dumb and mean. I also think Christian is a good kid, who I hope will learn from this.

He's from a generation where everything they do must be documented and uploaded. I'm 26 so I can still remember a time when social media wasn't the be all and end all.

Hopefully Christian will learn that when he has down time, that's exactly what he should be doing laying low and not trying to be in the public's eye because either it's good publicity or its bad publicity when you're constantly in the spotlight. 

Posted (edited)

I disagree. I feel old saying that but imho being 22 is no excuse (nor should be the fact that he's a player at "our" club). Did I do mistakes while being young? Certainly, still do at times of course. But usually you get the feedback you deserve for that and learn by them - excusing most of the stuff you did because you're a spoilt brad ( 😉 ) isn't helping. I'd argue that pro-footballers are briefed about and heavily coached in respect to media/public appearance.

In general, treating animals in a respectful manner should be learned as a kid, I'd say around the age of 4-6yo. If he'd been 15yo in that video I'd still have a hard time liking him. Social media is no excuse for me - he's a grown up.

But anyway, nothing I would draw out anymore. Just a personal obeservation - since he appeared quite sympathetic once I saw him playing for Dortmund.

Edited by weetee

17 minutes ago, weetee said:

I disagree. I feel old saying that but imho being 22 is no excuse (nor should be the fact that he's a player at "our" club). Did I do mistakes while being young? Certainly, still do at times of course. But usually you get the feedback you deserve for that and learn by them - excusing most of the stuff you did because you're a spoilt brad ( 😉 ) isn't helping. I'd argue that pro-footballers are briefed about and heavily coached in respect to media/public appearance.

In general, treating animals in a respectful manner should be learned as a kid, I'd say around the age of 4-6yo. If he'd been 15yo in that video I'd still have a hard time liking him. Social media is no excuse for me - he's a grown up.

But anyway, nothing I would draw out anymore. Just a personal obeservation - since he appeared quite sympathetic once I saw him playing for Dortmund.

Quite simply, the act of fishing is disrespectful towards wild animals, i.e. fish. Once the fish is caught (and therefore tortured), how does it matter if someone falls on it? Why is that any more disrespectful?!

Personally I have no problem either with fishing or with him falling on a fish, just pointing out the sheer lack of perspective here. If this fish is endangered, the problem is the act of fishing and catching it in the first place, even if it was going to be released. Not the act of falling on it.

Quite hilarious that people are making a big story out of this.

I hope that they let that fish go, I mean if it's really an endangered species. You can catch it, take a picture and let it go!

Pulisic being 22 years old means that he isn't a kid anymore, he's by all means an adult so let's stop this nonsense about how he's just a kid... Being silly there and getting wet doesn't really matter IMO but if the fish is endangered then it shouldn't be killed. I know he can pay the fine but I hope he didn't kill an endangered species just because he doesn't care or because he really wanted to have a meal out of it.

This grouper is not endangered, it’s threatened — a designation which doesn’t prevent sport fishing and which applies to many large game fish around Florida (where I suspect this was taken). Nothing to see here, just an environmentalist group spotting an opportunity to get some clicks using a celeb. 

I did happen to encounter this critter while diving in the Bahamas two years ago. Massive fish. 

I don't understand what is the point of that video. Juggling ball on the boat is interesting but on top of a fish?????

Maybe if pulisic is standing on top of a blue whale but he was sitting on a boat juggling ball on top of a fish. It make 0 sense. 

We really live in tik tok era. It is all about content. 

1 hour ago, goose said:

Personally think he comes out of the video looking like a bit of a prick. Why the f**k You’d post that on social media I’ll never know.

I agree. What kind of muppet would even think to take a football on a fishing trip in the first place ... 🙂

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

You're all massively overreacting. Seriously, what is he doing wrong here? living life? Stop acting like you're all so morally righteous.

Feels like a lot of virtue signaling to me honestly.  A normal person living their lives contributes to a lot of different species being endangered . . . But that isn't as visible to us so it's easier to condemn something that is visible even if it didn't appear to cause the fish any harm.

The world slaughters and consumes millions of innocent pigs, chickens and cattle a year but everyone is worried about a fish that survived all this?  

Yes I realize that the species is threatened but from what I can tell they were catching and releasing with this fish.  Now if they killed the fish than I would want to know who there knew the fish was threatened and decided to do this anyway.  Not likely Christian or his family they are from Pennsylvania which is a long ways away from where-ever they are.  In that case talk to the people who they probably paid to take them out on the boat.

Edited by Valpo

Posted (edited)
On 05/07/2021 at 10:26, Gol15 said:

I hope that they let that fish go, I mean if it's really an endangered species. You can catch it, take a picture and let it go!

Pulisic being 22 years old means that he isn't a kid anymore, he's by all means an adult so let's stop this nonsense about how he's just a kid... Being silly there and getting wet doesn't really matter IMO but if the fish is endangered then it shouldn't be killed. I know he can pay the fine but I hope he didn't kill an endangered species just because he doesn't care or because he really wanted to have a meal out of it.

I doubt Pulisic or his family knew the threatened status of the fish.  They live a long ways away from where this is at and they likely paid some people to take them out on a boat to go fishing.

I also would venture to say that the fish was probably caught and released too as that is a popular thing to do with large fish like this.  Partially because it's hard to bring them in, partially because they might not make for good eating and even if they do there is too much there too eat, and partially because they probably don't have a big enough boat to bring them in.   Honestly when he climbs back on the boat look the boat and you tell me if you think that's a big enough boat to haul that giant fish back to port in.  

This strikes me as much ado about nothing.  Some group saw a well known soccer player doing something with this fish and decided to convince the internet that it was disrespectful towards the fish or something like that.  Let me just mention that fish probably don't have any understanding of the concept of what respect is.  They are just trying to survive like every other wild animal.  If the animal survived why is this even controversial?  Unless you are morally opposed to all fishing, hunting and eating of meat it makes zero sense.  

Edited by Valpo

I think the most important thing to take from this is, we as Chelsea fans know the character the boy. If it was some random video on the internet I guess it could ruffle some feathers. but he has always come across as a grounded respectful person, so we just have to stick by him and assume there was absolutely no malice. 

The boy is on vacation, enjoying his time with family and friends on a fishing trip. Yes, people sometimes do some goofy sh*t while having a good time.

As far as I know, this kid never broke the law, bring strippers back to his room, getting drunk at bars and got into brawls, late for training, nor sneaked out of his hotel room during team travel. 

I swear, this age of social media is making more people idiotic and over sensitive to everything. Before you know it, you will be cancelled for eating a piece of steak and drinking a glass of whiskey.

9 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

The boy is on vacation, enjoying his time with family and friends on a fishing trip. Yes, people sometimes do some goofy sh*t while having a good time.

As far as I know, this kid never broke the law, bring strippers back to his room, getting drunk at bars and got into brawls, late for training, nor sneaked out of his hotel room during team travel. 

I swear, this age of social media is making more people idiotic and over sensitive to everything. Before you know it, you will be cancelled for eating a piece of steak and drinking a glass of whiskey.

Everything you say is spot on. It was immature but f**k it I’m in my 60’s and still do stupid stuff.

Ironically it’s the social media bit that gets me. Why did he ever think that it was a good idea to post that.

22 minutes ago, goose said:

Everything you say is spot on. It was immature but f**k it I’m in my 60’s and still do stupid stuff.

Ironically it’s the social media bit that gets me. Why did he ever think that it was a good idea to post that.

I generally think it's because he doesn't take himself seriously. Oh hey guys here's a video of me pulling of a random football trick....but oh wait look I feel into the water and wiped out.

I think he thought people would find it funny since that's what he and his family saw it as. Harmless fun, I'm sure the fish was fine also