Sindre

Christian Pulisic - Official

7 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Let's hope he features against Grimsby.

Sounds like Hudson-Odoi is set to feature, so if we get Pulisic in the lineup, we should get a good look at our future starting wingers.  Reece James on the right linking up with them too, as it sounds like he will play a part in the match Wednesday also.

8 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

Sounds like Hudson-Odoi is set to feature, so if we get Pulisic in the lineup, we should get a good look at our future starting wingers.  Reece James on the right linking up with them too, as it sounds like he will play a part in the match Wednesday also.

Edited by Hornswoggle

On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 12:15, Argo said:

While I didn't expect him to play 0 minutes this week I certainly am not surprised nor disappointed his role has been reduced for now.

He was great against Liverpool but in the PL to say he's been largely anonymous is an understatement. I have high hopes for him long term but for now he needs to be carefully managed, not all 20 year olds will come to a new country and look as good as Robben.

Although that said it should have been him that came on in the last 20 yesterday and not Michy, an already knackered Trent would have been seeing stars facing fresh pace at that point.

He should have come on....at 60 minutes, we were crying for someone with pace who could challenge some tired defenders.  

Having said that, he barely had a break this summer coming almost straight in to pre season, then played a bunch early on.  I applaud the fact that he wanted to get in early, but maybe he's a bit fatigued?  

On 23/09/2019 at 17:15, Argo said:

While I didn't expect him to play 0 minutes this week I certainly am not surprised nor disappointed his role has been reduced for now.

He was great against Liverpool but in the PL to say he's been largely anonymous is an understatement. I have high hopes for him long term but for now he needs to be carefully managed, not all 20 year olds will come to a new country and look as good as Robben.

Although that said it should have been him that came on in the last 20 yesterday and not Michy, an already knackered Trent would have been seeing stars facing fresh pace at that point.

Bang on. It was a little surprising to not bring him on in situations when some pace would've been welcome, but he did have a couple of chances at the start of the season and looked a bit off the pace. With Mount making a big impact early on, and the experience of Willian/Pedro, he does have stiff competition, and that's before CHO comes back. He's in the same age bracket as the other young guys though, so plenty of time to work hard and prove himself. The competition and not walking into the 11 can only do him good, and he seems to have the right attitude, so I'm sure he'll take it all in the right way.

Also it's a fair point from Boston Blue that he's seen a bit more action over the off-season than many of our players, and also cut his pre-season break short, so maybe it's a case of easing him into the PL. No point throwing him in at the deep end while we try to find our feet.

After having to make two substitutions in the first half due to injury, I'm not too disappointed he didn't come on.  He still needs time to adjust and I was more surprised Pedro wasn't brought on instead. 

Just now, Gol15 said:

Starting to wonder how will he look this season! Strange because he is a good player but hasn't shown much yet.

He's never been great against physical full backs that deny him space. He showed against Liverpool what he can do if he has space.

I don't want to be too hard on him because it's a new country and league for him, but at the moment, a few of our kids look better than him. He is clearly a signing for the future rather than a player that is going to fit in and be a key player for us right now, but when I look at many of our other young players, I think of them as the future too. By the time he adapts, which isn't a guarantee, he could find himself behind many players.

He reminds me a bit of Loftus before last season.

Not in style (obviously) but in the sense that he has a lot of talent and the idea of him is great but it's currently not really translating into reality.

Hopefully at some point it comes together for Christian like it did for Ruben.

I feel like Barkley was all over the field and interrupted much of the space that Pulisic likes to occupy.  A perfect example is the low cross in the 41st minute (right before the PK) that Barkley disrupted while Pulisic was sitting pretty back post.

Must you all forget, it was his great 1-2 ball that led to Bats goal in the 1st half....that he himself would have had a crack at if Bats didn't turn and take it with his left foot.

Edited by TrueBlueSeaFC87

I had huge reservations about this signing, but he's managed to disappoint even me. It spoke volumes to me that the Dortmund forums I checked to gauge their reaction was one of amazement. They were stunned we paid so much. And it wasn't even a "real shame he's gone, but great money" it was they paid THAT MUCH?! Kagawa and Miki looked far more impressive in that attacking side than Pulisic and they were incredibly average in our league. 

While he is young, game wise he isn't inexperienced at all, already racked up 120+ appearances. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't see it. Even when quality players are struggling you expect to see moments, even just glimpses, that reassure us and let us know there's a player in there. I've seen nothing from this guy. 

On a brighter note, my word I'm excited about our youngsters. 

Don't think we have had long enough to judge him yet.

Last night he did ok, created an assist might have had another if Barkley had moved for him.

Also was in position to take the shot when Bats stepped in swivelled and scored.

I'm not currently sure he will suit Frank's football, I think he is more of a counter attacking wide man yet think to write him off now is a mistake.

Kid hasn't even been here for 6 months and some fans are already saying he's not good enough. We now live in a age of zero patience and it's getting worst. Why not encourage players positive reinforced...

3 hours ago, Brutos said:

Kid hasn't even been here for 6 months and some fans are already saying he's not good enough. We now live in a age of zero patience and it's getting worst. Why not encourage players positive reinforced...

Because we're just a bunch of plebs!? Our opinion means the square root of pumpkin to these players. It has zero impact to what transpires. People are entitled to their opinion, this is a forum afterall. 

There's a reason Frank prefers Willian over him as of this moment. Pulisic doesnt have the end product in his game for us yet, much like Willian I have to say. However, theres no question that Willian is a much, much better dribbler. Until Pulisic finds the confidence to go at defenders and have the strength and sharpness to beat them like Willian does, there wont be reason for Frank to give him minutes over the Brazilian.

On the other hand, I do think the boy is talented and needs time. One area of his game which I'm a big fan of are his off the ball runs. I thought Barkley and Batshuayi in particular did a poor job of finding him when he made those runs. His overall game intelligence is higher than Willian's, it's just a matter of showcasing his ability and adding end product to his game. 

8 minutes ago, Costa Drug Cartel said:

There's a reason Frank prefers Willian over him as of this moment. Pulisic doesnt have the end product in his game for us yet, much like Willian I have to say. However, theres no question that Willian is a much, much better dribbler. Until Pulisic finds the confidence to go at defenders and have the strength and sharpness to beat them like Willian does, there wont be reason for Frank to give him minutes over the Brazilian.

On the other hand, I do think the boy is talented and needs time. One area of his game which I'm a big fan of are his off the ball runs. I thought Barkley and Batshuayi in particular did a poor job of finding him when he made those runs. His overall game intelligence is higher than Willian's, it's just a matter of showcasing his ability and adding end product to his game. 

I agree that William is s fantastically strong dribbler but there is a downside to that as well. He loves to hold onto the ball and sometimes that's not what's needed. 

Re: end product, that pass Pulisic made to Batshuayi for his second is not the kind of pass you'd see Willian making.

What I've liked about Pulisic is that I've seen him make a few good, quick passes and play intelligently. I think he can link up with players better than Willian can. 

I'm not a Willian basher but I can't help feeling that he disrupts the rhythm of the attacking play when he's on and that a lot of the time the players don't read him.

With Mount and Pulisic and Hudson Odoi, I think you'll get quicker passing and better interplay down the line if they can play together. 

19 minutes ago, GhostOfDembaBa said:

I agree that William is s fantastically strong dribbler but there is a downside to that as well. He loves to hold onto the ball and sometimes that's not what's needed. 

Re: end product, that pass Pulisic made to Batshuayi for his second is not the kind of pass you'd see Willian making.

What I've liked about Pulisic is that I've seen him make a few good, quick passes and play intelligently. I think he can link up with players better than Willian can. 

I'm not a Willian basher but I can't help feeling that he disrupts the rhythm of the attacking play when he's on and that a lot of the time the players don't read him.

With Mount and Pulisic and Hudson Odoi, I think you'll get quicker passing and better interplay down the line if they can play together. 

Agree with you on your criticism of Willian. His bad decision making frustrates me as well. 

With regards to end product, I was more focusing on it in terms of finishing. In other aspects Pulisic has him beat very much so like you said. Even finishing wise I wouldnt be surprised if this is merely a slump for Christian. 

Overall I think Hudson Odoi, Tammy, Pulisic will be our front 3. But as of now I believe Frank is right easing Pulisic in, especially given he haant exactly set the league on fire. 

Edited by Costa Drug Cartel

On 26/09/2019 at 07:05, Scott Harris said:

I don't want to be too hard on him because it's a new country and league for him, but at the moment, a few of our kids look better than him. He is clearly a signing for the future rather than a player that is going to fit in and be a key player for us right now, but when I look at many of our other young players, I think of them as the future too. By the time he adapts, which isn't a guarantee, he could find himself behind many players.

I think that's right. Problem is 60m to be behind the kids...

Way, way to early to conclude but the situation was different when we bought him. Don't think we would have spent 60 million on him right now as i think we have three attackers from the academy that the manager rates higher (CHO, Mount, RLC) but he may very well go on to become a vital player for us still.

1 hour ago, Sindre said:

Way, way to early to conclude but the situation was different when we bought him. Don't think we would have spent 60 million on him right now as i think we have three attackers from the academy that the manager rates higher (CHO, Mount, RLC) but he may very well go on to become a vital player for us still.

Still don’t think Mount is playing in his right position, however as long as keeps up his output (goals/assists) he is fine there. 

I reckon if we had a destroyer (DM) in the squad to play next to Kante (B2B) he would be playing behind the forward as a 10. In the 1st league match vs Utd when he was played there with Kovacic & Jorginho behind him we were ripped 4-0. With Jorginho in the team you can’t play him in a 2, and even in a 3 you can’t afford to play a 10. Will be interesting to see what happens long term, as personally I am not too keen on a Jorginho-Kante-Kovacic midfield if Willian is going to be on the flanks. 

3 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

I think that's right. Problem is 60m to be behind the kids...

Thing is he is still a kid himself... I know he has minutes in Germany but new to country and league should cut him a bit of slack. in all honesty who cares about the money its not from my bank account.