Christian Pulisic - Official

To add a bit more optimism here, we've just secured the largest transfer fee for any US player, who, at 20 years old, was one of the most sought after young talents by European clubs. He's already an experienced pro and a regular international where, if I remember correctly, was one of the best players on show against England in a recent friendly. He can play on either wing, or as a no10, and apparently, is also a great professional and a hard-working lad.

This is after the club invested a world record fee for a young goalkeeper (now 24), where Zidane went on record to that Madrid wanted him (and came close to signing him prior to the buy-out clause being inserted).

And this is whilst the club, despite outcry from various pundits and media outlets to the contrary, have been giving decent amounts of game time (when they have been fit) to Loftus-Cheek (22), Hudson-Odoi (18), and Ampadu (18), to name a few. Not to mention the other top young talents we have out on loan (Mason Mount, for example).

We may not be a perfectly run club, but I'm struggling to see a downside with this. Prior to FFP, we tried, and a lot of times failed with big money signings where players were past their best. We're now seeing evidence of a slightly different approach, and it's being written off before being given a proper chance.

So you're just handpicking the sh*t actions? By the same logic i could say Mourinho mark 1 was sh*t because he signed Del Horno, lost us long unbeaten records against Fulham and Spurs and never won away to Newcastle.
You could peddle any narrative with such small sample size.

Such small sample size, the players i mentioned are a huge chunk of players signed in the last couple of years, and it landed us in the europa, lets recall bakayoko then, lets play drinkwater, lets not sign a striker and use morata next season, will see how long it wil take all of you to moan about it on here,

Honestly I'm very annoyed by this signing. I don't rate this guy at all, what a waste of money, and to top it off we send him back. We have far better in the youth setup, give them a chance for christ sake. This is absolute madness, I doubt he will even play much in the first team.

This money should've been used to buy a ready made striker, f**king joke. 

Honestly I'm very annoyed by this signing. I don't rate this guy at all, what a waste of money, and to top it off we send him back. We have far better in the youth setup, give them a chance for christ sake. This is absolute madness, I doubt he will even play much in the first team.

Get ready mate, you are enemy number one now,

7 minutes ago, Jamjar1986 said:

Such small sample size, the players i mentioned are a huge chunk of players signed in the last couple of years, 

As are Kepa, Rudiger, Kova and Jorginho, infact i would say Giroud's been a hit all things considered, has regressed this season but did well last and helped us to another FA Cup.

I like him as a player but with 18 months left on his contract and the money we’ve paid I think we’ve overpaid by quite a bit. I personally would have preferred Leon Bailey to come in. 

My my biggest fear/reservation for this is that it will somewhat block/disillusion CHO more. I like Pulisic as a player but I feel CHO has a higher ceiling and deserves to be the one to replace Pedro/Willian at RW. But as we all know, when it comes to a youth/cheap player to a hugely expensive signing it’s usually the latter that wins.

in an ideal world a front 3 of Hazard, Pulisic & CHO would be electric, even to have rotate those three between the 2 wings. Wingers do tend to get injured a lot!

To summarise, I think we’ve overpaid, I hope he doesn’t cause CHO to leave, I’m also really excited to see him play for us.

But I thought Morata was going to be a beast so I clearly know hee-haw :biggrin:!

As are Kepa, Rudiger, Kova and Jorginho, infact i would say Giroud's been a hit all things considered, has regressed this season but did well last and helped us to another FA Cup.

I agree 100% , but dont act like all the others were good, cause they werent and gives me just cause to worry about other signings
11 minutes ago, dynamite said:

I’m sorry but you sound like a spoilt brat 

6 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I like him as a player but with 18 months left on his contract and the money we’ve paid I think we’ve overpaid by quite a bit. I personally would have preferred Leon Bailey to come in. 

My my biggest fear/reservation for this is that it will somewhat block/disillusion CHO more. I like Pulisic as a player but I feel CHO has a higher ceiling and deserves to be the one to replace Pedro/Willian at RW. But as we all know, when it comes to a youth/cheap player to a hugely expensive signing it’s usually the latter that wins.

in an ideal world a front 3 of Hazard, Pulisic & CHO would be electric, even to have rotate those three between the 2 wings. Wingers do tend to get injured a lot!

To summarise, I think we’ve overpaid, I hope he doesn’t cause CHO to leave, I’m also really excited to see him play for us.

But I thought Morata was going to be a beast so I clearly know hee-haw :biggrin:!

I expect the reason we have paid this much now is to basically jump the queue. As for replacing players, it seems we have been after him since last summer and it has nothing to do with either cho or hazards situation. 

1 hour ago, Sexyfootball said:

In my mind,  I now see a front three of Hudson-Odoi, Hazard and Pulisic running teams ragged with pace, trickery and incredible interchanging movement ... the best "false nine" trio in football history :-)

Like to see it :good2:

His signing, if anything should be a blessing for Odoi.

For the start of next season, we have Pedro (32), Willian (31), Hazard (28), Pulisic (20), Odoi (18).

At least one of the older 3 wingers will be gone, maybe 2.

Theres enough room in the squad to fit in Odoi and Pulisic, if Odoi wants to stay and fight for a Chelsea future the time is perfect now given the age profile of the squad.

5 minutes ago, dkw said:

I expect the reason we have paid this much now is to basically jump the queue. As for replacing players, it seems we have been after him since last summer and it has nothing to do with either cho or hazards situation. 

Possibly, I suppose we’ll never know now but had we left it until the summer it may have become a bidding war with us ending up paying double what we’ve paid now. 

When you consider Chelsea are apparently demanding £40m for CHO (who as much as we all rate) has very little top flight football under his belt. An extra £18m for a full international with over 100 appearances isn’t that expensive in the grand scheme of things, especially nowadays.

Another thought I had was that if as someone said the club anticipates us being on the receiving end of a transfer ban, if that will result in us doing a lot of big business this January with similar deals i.e. loaning them back until the end of the season. 

The negativity on here is at an all time low.

Ridiculous posts galore because we have spent money brining in one of the most promising young talents in Europe.

Somehow this must mean we are losing CHO and Hazard (despite being after him for more than 12 months) and are one of the worst clubs in the world at transfers.

What did Robben achieve before he was 20? Did he have the kind of numbers Pulisic had at that age in terms of league and European football? What about Duff and so on who went on to become extremely good players for our club.

The club can’t win with some people.

Edited by Chelsbear
31 minutes ago, dynamite said:

A ready made striker for Sarri's system so your looking at Icardi...you can't just buy these types of players it's not football manager!

6 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

The negativity on here is at an all time low.

Ridiculous posts galore because we have spent money brining in one of the most promising young talents in Europe.

Somehow this must mean we are losing CHO and Hazard (despite being after him for more than 12 months) and are one of the worst clubs in the world at transfers.

What did Robben achieve before he was 20? Did he have the kind of numbers Pulisic had at that age in terms of league and European football? What about Duff and so on who went on to become extremely good players for our club.

The club can’t win with some people.

You're right that they can't win. I agree. Doesn't make this a good signing. It's an awfully big price for someone who hasn't really shown more than potential and loses the ball far too often in Germany where the defending is much weaker than England.

One thing I will say is this will assist us in the American market. From an off field perspective the deal makes sense.

I'd just have preferred to have spent the money on Fekir or another who is a safer bet to make an immediate impact. Which is really what is required to keep Hazard here.

Just now, Spiller86 said:

You're right that they can't win. I agree. Doesn't make this a good signing. It's an awfully big price for someone who hasn't really shown more than potential and loses the ball far too often in Germany where the defending is much weaker than England.

One thing I will say is this will assist us in the American market. From an off field perspective the deal makes sense.

I'd just have preferred to have spent the money on Fekir or another who is a safer bet to make an immediate impact. Which is really what is required to keep Hazard here.

Doesn’t mean it’s not a good signing either because he hasn’t kicked a ball for us yet.

He was a year ago one of the top talents in European football and was mentioned on these boards countless times. He never committed his future to Dortmund so there were issues on that front which saw them out their time and faith into a player who would be there long term in young Sancho. That doesn’t mean Pulisic is a bad footballer it’s club politics.

The fee is high but that’s what happens if you want to beat other teams and get one step ahead. The market now sees players like CHO who haven’t kicked a ball demand more than 25 million bids. It’s just the way it is. We have secured a talented 20 year old for the best years of his career.

I find is rather silly to slate this deal before we even see him play for us. It’s madness 

12 minutes ago, DukesOfHazard said:

A ready made striker for Sarri's system so your looking at Icardi...you can't just buy these types of players it's not football manager!

Why not someone of that quality, its been done before. I just don't rate this player at all, but I honestly hope I'm proved wrong.