coco

Spuds V Chelsea (LC) Tue 8th Jan 20:00 UK

13 hours ago, Oli said:

So we have had countless wrong offside decisions in recent weeks that have cost us big pointsin the title race. There is no Var to correct it.

And today we play in a competition where there is VAR, the linesmen gives offside and what do you know, now VAR comes into play. And to top it off he actually was offside. How many times can they continuously screw us over. Had Morata scored against saints and got a penalty against Everton, we would be 6 points off the top.

How can a VAR system be so flawed that they dont even have clear or multiple camera angles. So much so that we had to bring out a laptop after the game to show Kane was offside. 

When sh*t continously goes against you its called being bent. Var or no Var, we're still having it up the arse.

7 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I have seen 3 big decisions where VAR was used in our games.......and each time they got it wrong. 

Two against Norwich last season in the F.A cup. The ref said Willian dived and he booked Willian, VAR proved that he was actually fouled and that it should have been a penalty to us. But VAR didn't over turn the refs decision, they used that bullsh*t "clear and obvious" line to bail the ref out. Well it was clear and obvious, Willian was fouled and the ref got it wrong.

The second in that match was against Morata. He was fouled near the end of the game and was booked, and again, VAR didn't overturn the decision.

Now in this game, they use a sh*tty camera angle which makes it look like Kane's upper half of his body is onside. This angle above, which is the angle that should have been used to judge if somebody is offside or not, clearly shows that the upper half of Kane's body is offside when the ball is played.

This is why I am not as enthusiastic about it being bought in as some other people are. It's a system that can and already has been wrongly used. I still don't think we will get big calls in our favour once it's bought in permanently. As long as they use angles like they used today to judge if somebody is offside or not, or if they use the "it wasn't clear and obvious" excuse, then VAR will never work.

Its on purpose........of course it is. This way they can still influence games where need be....... a Billion Pounds empire cant even get the angles right? All went as planned.

2 hours ago, coco said:

Thinking about it, with modern computing power it's possible to take the image that VAR had below, and render a new image level with the line. Sky do it all the time in the studio, they freeze the play and move the camera around the pitch.

skysports-kane-offside-tottenham_4541143.jpg

That is my issue with this view, is that it is not 'level with play'. Saying that though, even with this angle you can see that Kane's torso is offside !. And yes I agree why can't they provide a level view, oh wait a minute, Sarri showed one to the press.

Yes the VAR decision looks a bit of a joke, but are we just clutching at straws and looking a bit bitter, in truth if the club had  gone into the season with proper centre forwards and not a mentally flakey striker who will never learn, or a striker who struggles for fitness and was surplus to requirements at Arsenal then the possession we had last night and in other games may have lead to a goal threat or even goals!! For the life of me how anyone at the club last summer thought Morata and Giroud were the answer to see us through the season is beyond me, any of us on here could of told them that. 

Looking forward to the second leg, gotta feeling the bridge will be rocking!!! 

So pleased with how we played and at times totally bossed Sp*rs. Thought we were by far the better team and on the large kept their 4 danger men pretty quiet. Really think Hazard & Hudson-Odoi could take teams apart once they get to play together a bit more and learn each others games. IF we had started with Giroud in place of Willian and played Hazard where he is more effective it could have been a different result but still happy with the position at "half-time".

Don't want to criticize anyone last night as it was a decent performance but thought the three players who looked off the pace and where moves often broke down were Barkley, Alonso & Willian and Pedro was not great when he came on - would have put Giroud on earlier instead. 

It's not even being bitter or sore losers, that VAR decision is inaccurate, Kane's shoulder is offside, you can score with your shoulder and torso so how is it ruled onside? He's definitely not level with Azpi's foot. 

In summary:

• We played well, and were by far the better team. Complete role reversal from when we met in the league. Spurs looked uncomfortable for the majority of the game and were hoofing it out of play under pressure- good sign.
  • Never the les we look toothless without a centre forward. How we can expect to score when we often have nobody in the box is beyond me. This needs sorting out immediately.
  • VAR was a farce. It should never have been allowed to come into play, as play had already been stopped by the lino. Even with VAR it is a wafer thin decision, and one you feel we have been very unlucky on. All in all, last night wasn't a great advert for VAR; the general waiting around whilst the powers that be scratch their heads and generally look a bit clueless was embarrassing, and something I really hope doesn't become a regular feature in the sport. It won't be better for it in my opinion. Goal line technology is one thing, VAR as demonstrated last night, is quite another.
  • Hudson-Odoi once again looked the part. Him and Hazard either side of a lethal striker and I think we might really have something there. We should try and keep him at all costs.
  • Kante looks to be settling into his more advances role well. His contribution should in no way be underestimated, just because he is a few yards further up the pitch.
  • Kepa- a moment to forget. He has been immense this season, but Kane played for that and Kepa took the bait. Yes Kane left a leg in and dived like a salmon for effect, but that was always going to be a penalty, and we would have demanded one had the same happened at the other end. I was actually expecting a red card once the decision had been made.
  • Alonso, Barkley and Jorginho were the standout poor performers in an overall very impressive team performance. I am not jumping on the bandwagon, but I think the time has come that Emerson should get a run of games in the first team. I thought Barkley was awful in midfield, and to be honest should be bottom of the pecking order for those midfield slots. I don't really know what his role is supposed to be in that midfield, but surely he isn't fulfilling it.
  • Overall though, despite defeat, it was a very encouraging performance. Game on at the Bridge; it has the potential to be a classic night, and I have a feeling the crowd are going to be up for this one.

36 minutes ago, Nibs said:

So pleased with how we played and at times totally bossed Sp*rs. Thought we were by far the better team and on the large kept their 4 danger men pretty quiet. Really think Hazard & Hudson-Odoi could take teams apart once they get to play together a bit more and learn each others games. IF we had started with Giroud in place of Willian and played Hazard where he is more effective it could have been a different result but still happy with the position at "half-time".

Don't want to criticize anyone last night as it was a decent performance but thought the three players who looked off the pace and where moves often broke down were Barkley, Alonso & Willian and Pedro was not great when he came on - would have put Giroud on earlier instead. 

I thought the substitutions whilst the correct personnel were in the wrong order. Giroud for Willian and move Hazard left would have been my first. Kovacic for Barkley followed by Pedro for CHO as he tired. As it was we lost momentum when CHO was moved left. Not sure either why Zappacosta was deemed right for the bench whilst Emerson not.

32 minutes ago, mclovin83 said:

In summary:

• We played well, and were by far the better team. Complete role reversal from when we met in the league. Spurs looked uncomfortable for the majority of the game and were hoofing it out of play under pressure- good sign.
  • Never the les we look toothless without a centre forward. How we can expect to score when we often have nobody in the box is beyond me. This needs sorting out immediately.
  • VAR was a farce. It should never have been allowed to come into play, as play had already been stopped by the lino. Even with VAR it is a wafer thin decision, and one you feel we have been very unlucky on. All in all, last night wasn't a great advert for VAR; the general waiting around whilst the powers that be scratch their heads and generally look a bit clueless was embarrassing, and something I really hope doesn't become a regular feature in the sport. It won't be better for it in my opinion. Goal line technology is one thing, VAR as demonstrated last night, is quite another.
  • Hudson-Odoi once again looked the part. Him and Hazard either side of a lethal striker and I think we might really have something there. We should try and keep him at all costs.
  • Kante looks to be settling into his more advances role well. His contribution should in no way be underestimated, just because he is a few yards further up the pitch.
  • Kepa- a moment to forget. He has been immense this season, but Kane played for that and Kepa took the bait. Yes Kane left a leg in and dived like a salmon for effect, but that was always going to be a penalty, and we would have demanded one had the same happened at the other end. I was actually expecting a red card once the decision had been made.
  • Alonso, Barkley and Jorginho were the standout poor performers in an overall very impressive team performance. I am not jumping on the bandwagon, but I think the time has come that Emerson should get a run of games in the first team. I thought Barkley was awful in midfield, and to be honest should be bottom of the pecking order for those midfield slots. I don't really know what his role is supposed to be in that midfield, but surely he isn't fulfilling it.
  • Overall though, despite defeat, it was a very encouraging performance. Game on at the Bridge; it has the potential to be a classic night, and I have a feeling the crowd are going to be up for this one.

Picking up on the point about VAR. You can certainly argue either way about whether or not Kane was offside. Certainly after looking at the different angles available I think he was offside (at least marginally). But either way I thought VAR was only supposed to overturn decisions if there was reasonable doubt and I'm not sure there was enough here to make that call. Then of course you have the point that the linesman's flag inevitably interfered with play. I know players are told to play to the whistle but the flag is part of that process too surely? I think VAR could have been used if there was doubt over whether it was a penalty but not the consequences of an offside call in a case like this where play has effectively stopped in the meantime.

Sarri is such a diplomatic guy and even him, it’s ckearly getting on his tits, and he made valid points, a) it’s offside b) even if it wasn’t the linesman flags and the defenders stop playing...awful decision especially in light of 3 good goals disallowed in very recent times 

1 hour ago, mclovin83 said:

In summary:

Always a pleasure to read your takes these days. 

I thought we played very well last night. At this level though the margins are so small and we definitely haven't been getting the rub of the green this season. I met a mate of mine after the match last night for a quick beer (Spurs fan) and he thought a fair reflection of the game would have been a 2-0 victory to us, he wasn't happy with how they played at all and said we were by far the better team. I'd have to agree with him. We hit the post twice and they scored due to a farcical VAR decision. It's been a while since we went away to one of the top 6 and really controlled the game, it was one way traffic and forced the Spuds to keep hoofing the ball long under pressure. For all of our control we just lacked that killer instinct/bit of magic in the final third. Callum Hudson-Odoi looked very good again and was our most threatening player alongside Hazard. Hopefully he gets a run in the team now. Barkley worked very hard but seems to be lacking that spark in the final 3rd which I think we need from that position. I think RLC is the man that can provide it - I'm really looking forward to seeing how RLC, CHO and Hazard work together in tandem. I have a feeling that those 3 playing at the same time will transform our attack. Such a shame Ruben is struggling with an injury. Also mentions to Chrsitensen, Rudiger and Kante who I thought were all excellent.

Although we lost, I think that this performance would have given our players a lot of confidence for the 2nd leg. It's only half time and I'm confident that we're going to turn them over at the bridge!

I fully expect Spurs to try and kill the tie off early in the second leg. So we may even have to weather an early storm. It is vital that we defend well but if we can actually take a few of the goalscoring opportunities that come our way we will be in with a decent chance I think.

1 hour ago, mclovin83 said:

In summary:

Spot on in many respects. 

Lots of positives to take from the game.

The simple fact is we create chances but can’t execute them.

Despite the ever-evolving tactical developments within the game the plain truth is a team needs an effective striker if it is going to be successful. It appears that in some quarters this is an unfashionable assessment.

The sooner this is sorted the better.

Our goal has to be a top 4 finish and I think we will achieve this.

Expectations for next season will be greater.

That's 3 wins in a row for them against us anyone worried that we were their bogey team it could be the start of a role reversal. God I hope not but I am a little concerned especially after that decision last night.

The two big things with Var from when it came in was for clear and obvious mistakes and to disallow a goal if proven to be offside. The situation last night wasn’t clear and obvious mistake.  Now in Var games to keep it fair the ref shouldn’t blow straight away at offside as that will change a possible penalty or goal in the future.

19 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Jorginho - i still do not see what he does, you can slap any title you want on him. All he does is pass the ball 5 yards. He is awful at anything longer than that or any forward passing.

I'm sorry i am trying to resist replying to this but it's being said too often, your being quoted due to luck of draw, straw breaks camel's back.

Jorginho is a big, big reason we have gone from a side rubbish at being pressed to one that can play out the back easily even against the top teams, when a player is being pressed. Not only is Jorginho almost always in the pass combinations that lead to us playing out and retaining possession comfortably he is almost always in a position to receive a pass which in a lot of ways is our key defensive tactic as otherwise the other player would end up trapped and lose the ball leaving us exposed to a possible counter. 

There seems to be a notion that we are expecting Jorginho to be this creative genius in the final third, that's not what he was signed to do, he was signed to give us control in the middle of the park and keep things ticking over and he does his job fine.

4 hours ago, chi blue said:

Yes the VAR decision looks a bit of a joke, but are we just clutching at straws and looking a bit bitter, in truth if the club had  gone into the season with proper centre forwards and not a mentally flakey striker who will never learn, or a striker who struggles for fitness and was surplus to requirements at Arsenal then the possession we had last night and in other games may have lead to a goal threat or even goals!! For the life of me how anyone at the club last summer thought Morata and Giroud were the answer to see us through the season is beyond me, any of us on here could of told them that. 

Looking forward to the second leg, gotta feeling the bridge will be rocking!!! 

I said the same months ago.....how the board thought that Sarii could suddenly transform our strikers is baffling to me. We saw plenty to know they would not deliver, we had to be ruthless, yeah we spent 60M on Mora, tough sh*t, sell while you can. We didnt even sell Willy when a good offer was on the table nevermind selling Mora. Yes the Bridge will def deliver, lets hope the players kill them.

3 hours ago, forbzy said:

Picking up on the point about VAR. You can certainly argue either way about whether or not Kane was offside. Certainly after looking at the different angles available I think he was offside (at least marginally). But either way I thought VAR was only supposed to overturn decisions if there was reasonable doubt and I'm not sure there was enough here to make that call. Then of course you have the point that the linesman's flag inevitably interfered with play. I know players are told to play to the whistle but the flag is part of that process too surely? I think VAR could have been used if there was doubt over whether it was a penalty but not the consequences of an offside call in a case like this where play has effectively stopped in the meantime.

Its spurs....one of THE darlings of the fa and media....nothing new and it will keep on happening.

3 hours ago, WalterWhiteCFC said:

Sarri is such a diplomatic guy and even him, it’s ckearly getting on his tits, and he made valid points, a) it’s offside b) even if it wasn’t the linesman flags and the defenders stop playing...awful decision especially in light of 3 good goals disallowed in very recent times 

Good on him......we need a manager that fights for us.

2 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

As an incredibly petty individual I now consider myself an entrenched opponent of VAR and will be rooting for it to be scrapped at all levels. 

Its working just fine in other Leagues.....but of course they will manage to f**k it over in Eng.......last nights farce was no coincidence. Its has happened several times already when its us.

20 minutes ago, atomis said:

I said the same months ago.....how the board thought that Sarii could suddenly transform our strikers is baffling to me. We saw plenty to know they would not deliver, we had to be ruthless, yeah we spent 60M on Mora, tough sh*t, sell while you can. We didnt even sell Willy when a good offer was on the table nevermind selling Mora. Yes the Bridge will def deliver, lets hope the players kill them.

Very few times is a big sale made before a new manager comes in to access, unless the hand is forced ala Courtois. Had last summer been Sarri's second summer that bid may have been accepted, but stripping the squad of a big figure (which for all Willians faults he has been in the last half a decade) with a new manager coming is lunacy.

As for Morata, given the financial commitment and the fact he's shown us for the first two months last season how good he is on form it was worth giving him a chance to see if Sarri could get the best out of him, it hasn't worked so it looks like we are replacing him but giving him that shot was the right decision.

2 minutes ago, Argo said:

Very few times is a big sale made before a new manager comes in to access, unless the hand is forced ala Courtois. Had last summer been Sarri's second summer that bid may have been accepted, but stripping the squad of a big figure (which for all Willians faults he has been in the last half a decade) with a new manager coming is lunacy.

As for Morata, given the financial commitment and the fact he's shown us for the first two months last season how good he is on form it was worth giving him a chance to see if Sarri could get the best out of him, it hasn't worked so it looks like we are replacing him but giving him that shot was the right decision.

Willy is 30, perfect time to sell and buy freasher younger winger. The Mora I can sorta get what you mean but this business is a ruthless one and we didnt act. Again we saw enough of him to know he will most likely not fit for this League. Both his and Willy's stock gone way own since and that means less cash to reinvest. In any case not having any strikers to speak of will likely punish us in the top 4 battle and more pressure put on Sarii.   

1 hour ago, Argo said:

I'm sorry i am trying to resist replying to this but it's being said too often, your being quoted due to luck of draw, straw breaks camel's back.

Jorginho is a big, big reason we have gone from a side rubbish at being pressed to one that can play out the back easily even against the top teams, when a player is being pressed. Not only is Jorginho almost always in the pass combinations that lead to us playing out and retaining possession comfortably he is almost always in a position to receive a pass which in a lot of ways is our key defensive tactic as otherwise the other player would end up trapped and lose the ball leaving us exposed to a possible counter. 

There seems to be a notion that we are expecting Jorginho to be this creative genius in the final third, that's not what he was signed to do, he was signed to give us control in the middle of the park and keep things ticking over and he does his job fine.

He’s the new Mikel in every sense!

Everyone is quick to slate him but when he took the ball of Kane’s foot when he was making a dangerous run in the box last night there was radio silence. I don’t think he’s there to put in big crunching tackles, more to use his positioning to block off the oppositions passing lanes. People just get a chip on their shoulders here and lose all objectivity it seems. 

My only gripe with him is, for me, sometimes there’s an obvious forward pass on for him in to the midfield but instead of making it he rolls it to a defender and then points at where he should had passed it in the first place.

As for the old ‘the lino stopped running so the players though he was offside’ line; I thought players were suppose to play to the whistle. It’s a simple concept but it works. 

2 hours ago, bluehaze said:

That's 3 wins in a row for them against us anyone worried that we were their bogey team it could be the start of a role reversal. God I hope not but I am a little concerned especially after that decision last night.

not enough years left in my life for them to turn it around.