coco

Spuds V Chelsea (LC) Tue 8th Jan 20:00 UK

8 minutes ago, enigma said:

Things don't change overnight. Sarri said we're a year off liverpool and city, and we lack a striker so why are our expectations so high? I don't expect much else than top four finish (hopefully) and/or a EL win. Expectations are way too high considering the players we have the style change. 

I don't think asking for a bit of creativity and energy in our performances is having high expectations in all honesty.

We may lack a striker, but I don't think bringing in a new one will solve the rest of the issues we have. We don't give our strikers chances to score goals. What has happened to the fast possession football that we were playing at the start of the season? Was it just a reaction to a new manager coming in? or has that been coached out of them already and Sarri is now instructing them to play this Italian slow possession type of football? I'm not sure what it is but we look like what a Serie A team would look like trying to play in the Premier League at the moment.

I'm not expecting miracles, but I thought we were going to see exciting football? I haven't been enjoying any of our performances overall for months now. I know we are behind City and Liverpool, but they were showing signs of progress the longer things went on, we're not, we're getting worse.

2 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

I understand what you are saying but looking at your user name, along with mine, i cannot believe that you really mean this.

Remember this team. What a christmas thyis was. I might have been at the whitewall of the shed but it was like looking out across a frozen tundra with pockets of sh!te dispersed here and there  :biggrin:image.png.03ad2b1734d8091addb50260243aba16.png

image.png.03ad2b1734d8091addb50260243aba16.png

I was at that Boxing day game. 

Fun afterwards.

27 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

What about that match makes you think that Spuds made it look easy?

We dominated them - how is that "being owned"?

So hitting the woodwork twice, Christensen not knowing which foot was which and their keeper playing the match of his life don't count, is that it?

I see the usual melt-down from the usual suspects.  Not going to say much more than proud of my team, proud of the travelling fans, totally ashamed of a lot of you in here, as always, it appears. Beaten by a penalty fro an off-side w**ker, and some of you are diving into deep deep despair.

Also, without trying to sound like a broken record, ONE misplaced pass from Willian triggered a storm of abuse in here.  CHO missed the ball competely on the Spuds penalty area - not a post!  But no agenda, mind.

Spoilt brat, arm-chair "fans" with Playstation level knowledge of proper football.  (NOT Soccer) - You decide if that is aimed at you or not.

Yorkley, I agree with a lot of what you say at times, other times I think you just try to be argumentative.

The fact that we didn’t test their keeper for one? How on earth can you claim he had the match of his life? He had little to do other than shots directly at him, that’s ridiculous to make that claim. Bar the Kante shot which was a good save.

We hit the post from Kantes strike which admittedly was a good cross and shot (I think it may have taken a deflection but would need to see it again). As for CHO cross that hit the woodwork it took a MASSIVE deflection which caused it to do that, it wasn’t a wonderful piece of play or great strike.

There’s always going to be emotions and getting beat by spurs 3 times on the bounce is not good enough, nothing to do with being spoilt but we should have a good enough team to not let that happen. I concede there was much more fight in this game than the previous two.

The huge difference being Willian being a seasoned international who has previous and the other being a young player who has bags of potential who was our main bright spark in the game. I’ve said repeatedly that Willian is a good squad player but I don’t feel he’s an automatic starter as I don’t think he’s good enough, what’s wrong with that? 

You’re free to assume peoples knowledge on football all you want, but you have no idea the qualifications/level that anyone on this board has studied or played. I’m not overly fussed if it’s directed at me or not (not sure why you’ve referenced soccer when I’m Scottish so wouldn’t refer to it as that) 

Edited by EdinburghBlue

Honestly it's hard to criticize our football when we got 17 shots and 5 on target. Plus 2 woodworks and kanté with a great shot and christensen missing the goal too. THe pen changed everything. But despite the fact we played better and dominated, we're still impotent upfront, Alonso Jorginho not that great, Barkley underwhelming, but the rest was decent imo. Spuds got away with murder basically. But as I said earlier in my post : no striker no party and probably a more direct football/ counter attack football approach could have won us the match imo. But that would have needed playing someone else instead of jorginho !

18 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Just comfirmed by Sky that VAR was wrong. Kane was offside. 

We should have got something from that game, we dominated it. All possession but no end product. 

Need a striker and more cutting edge. The goals are drying up. 

Huh funny. The match report on their .Com says that VAR intervened to correct a mistake by the ref and got it right.

3 minutes ago, shedpensioner said:

I actually think Spuds did what they needed second half, they knew we weren’t really a threat.

Spurs were desperately hoofing the ball out of defence for most of the second half, they normally don't play like that, and I'm sure Pochettino didn't instruct them to do that.

Most people probably will disagree but I thought we played very well in the second half. Jorginho wasn’t bad at all. We barely gave them any space, passed the ball well and constantly pressed. Remember we lost to this Spurs side 3-1 a few weeks ago. Kante was my MOTM. We need a Costa but I guess everyone knows that.

Just thought that after tonight’s decision V A R games will have to carry on now on close offside calls. Will have to wait until someone shoots or gets tackled then go back to the original offence in case the linesman flag was right or wrong. 

Imagine next leg if we get flagged offside and the ref blows and the game stops and it’s shown that the decision is wrong!

Caught the 2nd half, we were far the better side but wasted a few opportunities.  My understanding is re the offside rule is that if a part of the body which is legally capable of scoring a goal is in an offside position, then the player is offside regardless that its not his feet; if I'm correct in how this works Kane was clearly offside as his head and body was ahead of Dave's heel.....and as for the penalty Kane made an absolute meal of that, who tumbles to the ground, with their heels together body straight in the perfect 'diving' position....he is an absolute 'diver'.  CHO was very good, shame we had no striker to work with him; Giroud came on far too late.   Still it's only half time and the next game will be a barn burner and expect a Chelsea win.  Still hate how we have succumbed to Spurs over the last few years when we used to own them home and away...

So we have had countless wrong offside decisions in recent weeks that have cost us big pointsin the title race. There is no Var to correct it.

And today we play in a competition where there is VAR, the linesmen gives offside and what do you know, now VAR comes into play. And to top it off he actually was offside. How many times can they continuously screw us over. Had Morata scored against saints and got a penalty against Everton, we would be 6 points off the top.

How can a VAR system be so flawed that they dont even have clear or multiple camera angles. So much so that we had to bring out a laptop after the game to show Kane was offside. 

38 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

What about that match makes you think that Spuds made it look easy?

We dominated them - how is that "being owned"?

So hitting the woodwork twice, Christensen not knowing which foot was which and their keeper playing the match of his life don't count, is that it?

I see the usual melt-down from the usual suspects.  Not going to say much more than proud of my team, proud of the travelling fans, totally ashamed of a lot of you in here, as always, it appears. Beaten by a penalty fro an off-side w**ker, and some of you are diving into deep deep despair.

Also, without trying to sound like a broken record, ONE misplaced pass from Willian triggered a storm of abuse in here.  CHO missed the ball competely on the Spuds penalty area - not a post!  But no agenda, mind.

Spoilt brat, arm-chair "fans" with Playstation level knowledge of proper football.  (NOT Soccer) - You decide if that is aimed at you or not.

Creepy-Condescending-Wonka.jpg

I have deliberately not posted, but wtf is wrong with some of you, we owned Spurs in their (Temporary backyard), cracking performance, we missed a presence up top this evening, even it would of been Morata, no names are mentioned by me, but if you reply, then so be it, some people obviously have the football knowledge of Fifa PS games, and some are purposely argumentative, and won't accept critique, come on we are Chelsea!!!

We need to win at home but we can't even score a goal against them, the best shot of the game was from Kante and Harry Winks can hold the midfield for Spuds even with a yellow card for most of the game and the guy is 21 years old, that's how average most of the team is.

I just need to repeat that it's no coincidence that Spuds have been beating us so often in the past year, our squad is right now maybe the worst compared to the last decade.

12 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

We need to win at home but we can't even score a goal against them, the best shot of the game was from Kante and Harry Winks can hold the midfield for Spuds even with a yellow card for most of the game and the guy is 21 years old, that's how average most of the team is.

I just need to repeat that it's no coincidence that Spuds have been beating us so often in the past year, our squad is right now maybe the worst compared to the last decade.

Did you watch the second half mate, we dominated the possession, i think kane had one good shot all game, tell me how Winks was so influential, seeing as Spurs hardly had the ball!

19 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Did you watch the second half mate, we dominated the possession, i think kane had one good shot all game, tell me how Winks was so influential, seeing as Spurs hardly had the ball!

That's my frustration, they can put a youngster like that and it still wouldn't matter cause we can't score, but people have said that on paper we got the best midfield...

I thought we did ok with what we had available, would like to see Hazard Giroud and CHO up front, and we really need to get rid of willian and hate to say it Alonso. We are crying out for a CF but who that would be and what ridiculous price we would have to pay, who knows.

Obviously not happy with the result but I think I’m a lot happier than most on here with the performance.

Overall I think we played well and think we were a lot more positive going forward than we have been. No CF is a major problem but Id rather play Morata, Giroud or Abraham up front than Hazard as false 9.

Big positive for me tonight was CHO who showed tonight that he can mix it with the big boys, before I have only seen flashes and wasn’t sure if he was a starter. I think that he might be one of the reasons that we look more positive going forward as he is a lot more direct and likes to get defenders on there heels. Really hope Sarri starts him most matches from now on in.