coco

Chelsea v Newcastle (PL) Sat 12th Jan 17:30 UK

1 minute ago, BenCFC19 said:

The false 9 nonsense is another thing but not playing Callum after his last two performances is just unforgivable imo

Come on. A good game against f**king Nottingham and a decent game against a Spurs side who didn't even press us when we had possession doesn't mean he's going to tear Newcastle apart. Benitez will set up Newcastle well defensively, so don't think Callum would be much use especially on the counter when he doesn't have the defensive fortitude yet. 

1 minute ago, SimonH said:

No Morata? Still injured or on the move? In hoping for the latter.

Newcastle will probably sit deep. Morata is not best guy inside the bus. Probably better in a train. Best in a plane to somewhere else... 

3 minutes ago, enigma said:

Come on. A good game against f**king Nottingham and a decent game against a Spurs side who didn't even press us when we had possession doesn't mean he's going to tear Newcastle apart. Benitez will set up Newcastle well defensively, so don't think Callum would be much use especially on the counter when he doesn't have the defensive fortitude yet. 

as opposed to Willian??

Hudson-Odoi still not starting? Come on Sarri... This is very Mourinho eske, playing out of form players week in week out, we may aswell just start playing some youngsters if our "best" players aren't performing up to standard. 

1 minute ago, enigma said:

You don't learn if you don't play, and I'd be much more confident in him unlocking the door than Willian who offers very, very little. And in regards to 'defensive fortitude', we have to have enough belief in our young players to be able to handle Christian Atsu on the counter. Didn't do anything wrong against far better players at Wembley

1 minute ago, DidierDidier said:

as opposed to Willian??

Newcastle will look to hit us on the break with pace. Alonso hasn't got the pace, so he needs that support from Willian. I see no problem if H-Odoi gets mins later in the game. Right now this is arguably our strongest team. 

Newcastle are cr*p. Yet we start with that boring line up. 

Well I will watch the recording later. Wanted to see more of why CHO is so hyped. Oh well Sarri has his favorites just like any manager.

Least Kova is back.

2 minutes ago, BenCFC19 said:

You don't learn if you don't play, and I'd be much more confident in him unlocking the door than Willian who offers very, very little. And in regards to 'defensive fortitude', we have to have enough belief in our young players to be able to handle Christian Atsu on the counter. Didn't do anything wrong against far better players at Wembley

Spurs never pressed us. I think Pochettino's tactics were exactly that too. Poch isn't an idiot, he'll save the pressing for SB. 

3 minutes ago, enigma said:

Newcastle will look to hit us on the break with pace. Alonso hasn't got the pace, so he needs that support from Willian. I see no problem if H-Odoi gets mins later in the game. Right now this is arguably our strongest team. 

We should probably get a half-decent leftback  then instead of worrying about defensive support for him versus a poor side at home.

Edited by Sindre

2 minutes ago, enigma said:

Newcastle will do what they did last time, sit back, that means we'll have most of the possession, from what I've seen of Willian lately he's doing nothing in tight areas, it's dribble a bit, pass the ball back. CHO will at least try to attack, yeah of course he doesn't have the striker there to cross the ball into but he'll at least try and win the game by other means. 

The last few games I've seen of Willian it looks like he doesn't even want to be here anymore, he's been appalling. 

2 minutes ago, enigma said:

We can almost predict his subs; Giroud, then Barkley, toss up between Emerson & someone else.

Problem with that lack of thinking which I agree is his line of thinking is; when teams sit deep Hazard will start coming deep, so We have no presence in the box. We also tend to start passing it in front of the defence, as the front 3 don’t make off the ball runs. In that respect it is a perfect game for CHO.

9 minutes ago, enigma said:

9 minutes ago, enigma said:

Newcastle has no threatening pace other than Yedlin who doesn't offer much else. Their midfield is diabolical and they're playing youth players since they haven't got any depth.  This is the least risky game for Alonso. 

Edited by MANoWAR

1 minute ago, Slojo said:

Newcastle will do what they did last time, sit back, that means we'll have most of the possession, from what I've seen of Willian lately he's doing nothing in tight areas, it's dribble a bit, pass the ball back. CHO will at least try to attack, yeah of course he doesn't have the striker there to cross the ball into but he'll at least try and win the game by other means. 

The last few games I've seen of Willian it looks like he doesn't even want to be here anymore, he's been appalling. 

When Hudson-Odoi has space he's great, but the issue is when a team sits deep, I'm not sure he's going to be the difference. For that reason, Sarri has obviously gone for Willian for his defensive contribution which will most likely be needed if/when Newcastle counter us. Newcastle are going with the 5-4-1 formation, so defensive. 

6 minutes ago, enigma said:

I mean you could make the argument, you’d be wrong but could still make the argument.

We look much better with a focal point up front rather than a false 9 for a start. Also to claim Willian & Pedro are in better form that CHO is ridiculous because they’re obviously not. 

1 minute ago, ducavis said:

We can almost predict his subs; Giroud, then Barkley, toss up between Emerson & someone else.

Problem with that lack of thinking which I agree is his line of thinking is; when teams sit deep Hazard will start coming deep, so We have no presence in the box. We also tend to start passing it in front of the defence, as the front 3 don’t make off the ball runs. In that respect it is a perfect game for CHO.

Well we don't have a proper striker at the moment, so that's a big issue. We also lack that creative spark from midfield. There's no doubt we lack goals up top, but having no striker will do that. We create the chances, we just need to take them and be clinical. It's our lack of being clinical which costs us, that and also poor officiating. Hopefully we get some fortune today, which we've lacked in the previous couple league games. 

Shame Hudson Odoi's on the bench, but he's a good option to bring on, as is Giroud. 

Should have the quality to break this lot down, we're long overdue a comfortable win and I fancy/hope this to be one of the nights where the front 3 have their shooting boots on. Looking forward to this one!

19 minutes ago, enigma said:

bring on CHO after 75 minutes vs tired barcode legs - I am sure that is a good recipe for all 3 points there

21 minutes ago, enigma said:

Yeah, we shouldn't risk a youthful talent known for being good at take ons when we have Willian who has been tearing teams to shreds lately. 

Not looking forward to 9 0 mins of passing it round a box with 10 men it it, need an early goal here.

I think CHO should start over willi based on recent performances but I just wonder if that would be seen as appeasing him and encourage others to not sign hoping for playing time, he should deffo get a good 15-20 mins run at these lot though 

Sarri has just said Pedro comes in because we’re trying to solve a problem so we’re trying Pedro instead of CHO? If I’ve picked that up correctly, is he implying CHO is the problem?

The lack of a recognised striker is the problem, the midfield not providing dangerous balls forward is the problem, Willians lack of end product is the problem. CHO is definitely not the problem. 

I hope this works because all Pedro & Willian want to do is come inside and it’s so easy for teams defending deep to keep us out.