abramovich

Big Pete Retires

Great keeper for us, one of our best ever, and everything I’ve heard about him (like the support he gave to that other player who sustained a similar head injury - I forget the name) indicates that he’s a great person too. I never wanted us to sell him to Arsenal to make way for Tibo, which I think was going against the popular opinion on here at the time.

14 minutes ago, bluedave said:

Great keeper for us, one of our best ever, and everything I’ve heard about him (like the support he gave to that other player who sustained a similar head injury - I forget the name) indicates that he’s a great person too. I never wanted us to sell him to Arsenal to make way for Tibo, which I think was going against the popular opinion on here at the time.

I still think it was the right decision at the time. Emotions aside, Petr wasn't the player he used to be either because of age or the head injury and we needed to assure Courtois he's the new number one keeper or risk losing him. Many thought he was the future of Chelsea.

The difference between how both treated the club couldn't tell more about what kind of men these two are. Cech already a legend and having won everything, spent his last season on the bench and said nothing, and left with the club blessing for Arsenal. Courtois waited till the last moment to f**k us over. That's why Big Pete is a club legend and Tibaut is a twat.

Edited by abramovich

21 minutes ago, abramovich said:

I still think it was the right decision at the time. Emotions aside, Petr wasn't the player he used to be either because of age or the head injury and we needed to assure Courtois he's the new number one keeper or risk losing him. Many thought he was the future of Chelsea.

The difference between how both treated the club couldn't tell more about what kind of men these two are. Cech already a legend and having won everything, spent his last season on the bench and said nothing, and left with the club blessing for Arsenal. Courtois waited till the last moment to f**k us over. That's why Big Pete is a club legend and Tibaut is a twat.

Absolutely agree with this 100%, he was incredibly professional about the whole thing. He is without doubt a Chelsea legend and one of the best keepers the premier league has ever seen.

Put simply, a PL and Chelsea institution. 

His Arsenal years are a footnote next to his long, storied history at this great club.

Before his horrific head injury, he was almost the complete keeper. Peerless shot-stopping, handling and positioning combined with peerlessness in the air, a powerful frame and a powerful kick. Two moments of play I remember during that time are his penalty save off Blackburn's Lucas Neill in (I think) 2004-05 and his long kick which led to Joe Cole's wondergoal against Man U in 2005-06. 

After the injury, he wasn't quite the same keeper - for a long time, he was nervous coming out for crosses and at times had issues communicating with his defenders. Still, his Munich heroics will be remembered forever and while AVB's high-line exposed his one relative weakness (distribution) he was IMO pretty good during his last couple of seasons in the first XI because Benitez/Mou reverted to playing a deeper defensive line which brought his strengths (positioning/shot-stopping) into play. However, even in 2014-15 he came off the bench and made this ridiculous save off Lukaku (I think?) at Stamford Bridge which probably won us at least 2 points.

Clearly a far better person than the twat who replaced him and will be appreciated by PL fans for many years to come and Chelsea fans for ever more. 

Legend. 

A great professional who will be remembered as a Chelsea legend rather than arsenal keeper. I don’t begrudge him for moving to Arsenal.

Best of luck in your future endeavours Petr, maybe you can come back to Chelsea and be a goalkeeper coach!

22 minutes ago, dkw said:

Absolutely agree with this 100%, he was incredibly professional about the whole thing. He is without doubt a Chelsea legend and  the best keeper the premier league has ever seen.

Slight adjustment required.

Legend, bring him home.

Pulled off some of the best saves i have ever seen.

Definitely the best we've ever had between the sticks (in his prime), by some margin.

Only Schmeichel Snr can be mentioned in the same breath when talking about the cream of premier league keepers.

A fantastic keeper.  I wasn't sure when he came in and took over from our "PL Golden Glove" winning keeper, Carlo.  He soon proved that he was an even better keeper and is up there with Bonetti as a true club goalkeeping legend.  Bring him back to coach Kepa.

Says a lot about the guy that he can choose to leave us for a massive rival/enemy club and still be viewed fondly and as an absolute legend.

It was a mistake to let him go to Arsenal imo, but if there are any players who deserve to get to choose their own fate even if it's against the clubs best interests (and get no grief for it) then Petr is certainly one of them.

Would love to see him in a role that allows him to represent our club once more........  I dream, but maybe one day Petr as a head goalie coach staff, Lampard as manager (Zola staying on as #2), Drogba as club ambassador and Terry to replace the grumpy looking older gentleman always near the tunnel (except I expect Terry to hurl more abuse at the opposition and their fans).