Semper Fi

Gonzalo Higuain

If the transfer ban is lifted while our appeal is heard and we can sign players this summer, I will be appalled if we try to make Higuain's signing permanent. In fact Sarri should be shown the door if he even suggests it, based on what we have seen this half of the season.

6 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Yet everyone still tries to use us not signing Piatek as a negative or want us to sign Icardi. 

I'm not actually saying we shouldn't sign players from Serie A, just that the English leagues and Italian leagues are very different. If we are signing anybody from Italy, then they need to be suited to Premier League football. Higuain isn't, Jorginho possibly isn't either.

I'm unsure on Piatek, but I think Icardi would actually be pretty decent in England. 

Yup I’ve seen enough.

Hopefully he goes back to Italy in the summer, his age is going against him and to be honest he hasn’t got enough time to get to the standard we need him to be at. If he was 5 years younger, I’d say give him time.

It’s absolutely crucial we get the striker situation right this year, especially with Hazard looking likely to leave.

46 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Yup I’ve seen enough.

Hopefully he goes back to Italy in the summer, his age is going against him and to be honest he hasn’t got enough time to get to the standard we need him to be at. If he was 5 years younger, I’d say give him time.

It’s absolutely crucial we get the striker situation right this year, especially with Hazard looking likely to leave.

Agreed. A lot will depend on the status of the transfer ban. If it is still in place then we will have to the make the most out of existing options like Bats, Tammy, and Giroud.

44 minutes ago, Blackened said:

A great goal from Pipa. Still needs more direct service. 

He was having a pretty decent game for a change, Sarri completely misread the situation once again. The last 20 minutes of the game were completely appalling.

Yup I’ve seen enough.

I think that Gonzalo is a great player, he is coming from a bad year due to a number of issues mainly his transfer to a mediocre Milan team and bad training. With a good pre season conditioning he has all it takes to be a good striker. He's 31 not 40, van have 3 good years in him without a problem. But he's not a leader be needs support and good assist, which he's not receiving currently. I can't see how you will get a better player at the conditions you would be able to get Gonzalo. Personally I hope he comes back to juve and plays with Ronaldo.

17 minutes ago, B&Wlegends said:

I think that Gonzalo is a great player, he is coming from a bad year due to a number of issues mainly his transfer to a mediocre Milan team and bad training. With a good pre season conditioning he has all it takes to be a good striker. He's 31 not 40, van have 3 good years in him without a problem. But he's not a leader be needs support and good assist, which he's not receiving currently. I can't see how you will get a better player at the conditions you would be able to get Gonzalo. Personally I hope he comes back to juve and plays with Ronaldo.

Yeah please Juve are welcome to him.

33 minutes ago, B&Wlegends said:

To be fair he'd probably do well in a league with poor opposition and walking paced football like Juventus have.

2 hours ago, B&Wlegends said:

He's finished at the top level, it's been obvious for over a year that the guy is struggling at this level now. You say he is 31, not 40.....but so what? Many times over the years we have seen players struggle when they hit their 30's, and it's mainly because they haven't looked after themselves physically. Just look at Rooney, it's possible he would still be at United right now if he had looked after himself a bit better. Torres was finished before he hit his 30's because of injuries, Shevchenko was finished when he turned 30 and moved to a different league, even the very best players to play the game have struggled in their early 30's, like Ronaldinho.

Higuain is incredibly slow, turns like a tank, and shy's away from being physical in the box, he has all of the ingredients you need to be a flop in this league.

3 minutes ago, EmeraldBlue said:

Was excellent yesterday, terrific goal and almost had another. Not sure if he faded in the 2nd half as I don't recall very many balls being played into him after we lost our way.

there lies the problem of CHO being injured - CHO sends more crosses into the box than either Willian or Pedro

Wonder has he turned a corner that goal was very reminiscent of his Madrid and Napoli days good link up play and deadly finish.

Probably to late in the season now anyway.

3 minutes ago, robdog said:

there lies the problem of CHO being injured - CHO sends more crosses into the box than either Willian or Pedro

Giroud on for Pedro, dave on the right of the attack, emerson pushes up on the left, kova drops in with the back 2. Then we get plenty of crosses.

He still have 3 good years in him? Not really, this is the EPL not Serie A.

Yeah, if he had that performance every game, then I’m more than happy to have him lead the line next season.

It will be interesting to see how he does for rest of the season, if he has a strong finish then i’d be tempted to keep him.

More of the same against United please.

He still have 3 good years in him? Not really, this is the EPL not Serie A.
No doubt pace is faster in EPL, on the other end defending is way worse and an in form higuain could do well IMO. the comparison with Rooney doesn't stand apart from a certain tendency to get fatter, but higuain never had any serious injury, doesn't drink and is incredibly gifted from a technical point of view so I don't see why he shouldn't age well. Last year he had a very good season, this year he has been heavily influenced by the transfer to Milan but I think had he started with sarri from July he would have had a much better season and you would have been easily third.
We'll see what happens next year

33 minutes ago, B&Wlegends said:

No doubt pace is faster in EPL, on the other end defending is way worse and an in form higuain could do well IMO. the comparison with Rooney doesn't stand apart from a certain tendency to get fatter, but higuain never had any serious injury, doesn't drink and is incredibly gifted from a technical point of view so I don't see why he shouldn't age well. Last year he had a very good season, this year he has been heavily influenced by the transfer to Milan but I think had he started with sarri from July he would have had a much better season and you would have been easily third.
We'll see what happens next year

I have been impressed by his movement and agree if we had come earlier he might have made a difference, even if we got him early in January yet unfortunately it did not work that way. We got him at the last possible moment when all the fixtures came thick and fast with little time for good preparation. This meant no time to get acclimatised with the other players.

13 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Yeah, if he had that performance every game, then I’m more than happy to have him lead the line next season.

It will be interesting to see how he does for rest of the season, if he has a strong finish then i’d be tempted to keep him.

More of the same against United please.

God no! We have seen this movie several times over the years; with Shevchenko, Torres, the list goes on. You keep seeing flashes of the ability they had in their prime but it is a false dawn.

You would hope we are smart enough to walk away in the summer.