Roman Abramovich

Old Shaggy

On 23/02/2021 at 18:19, OnePeterOsgood said:

Totally agree, mate. Some terrible signings but also some terrible sales - de Bruyne, Salah, Lukaku, Rice, Ake etc. I understand the argument about the benefit of hindsight, but surely a proper ‘football man’ should have been able to spot the potential in at least some of these cases?

I blame the salah and definitely the KDB on Jose. I fully believe Roman wanted to keep harmony and the fans on side by giving Jose control on players and thus not causing another internal war. Big mistake that was looking back.

2 hours ago, Munkworth said:

I get the feeling Roman has had enough of the British Media, great to see them being called to account while also helping out with his charitable donations :laugh2:

I don’t need your measly money, send it to charity!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not really.  I think he viewed it more as the best move for Chelsea, and he was ignorant perhaps of the importance to the fans of staying in the current competitions.  I give him this grace because unlike the vast majority of other owners associated with this move Roman has sought to use his wealth to improve the club while the others used the clubs to try and improve their wealth.  Will Roman hope to make money end of the day from his investment at Chelsea? Probably, but he has invested to make that so rather than leverage/exploit the fans.

He may have just felt this is what Chelsea fans would want.....their team in a super league if one were to exist (reports seem to indicate CFC/MCFC were told to get on board or be left behind...who knows what to trust in reporting these days)... more than a push to make more money.

Maybe Im being to generous, but I feel Roman's previous actions (from investing in the club to how he has given to charities and other things important to supporters etc) have given him the benefit of the doubt from my end.

He's a businessman and owns the club. He wants to see profit made. At the end of the day, if we don't make top four it's a massive hit to the club. We are already in a lot of debt. 

Edited by enigma

5 hours ago, enigma said:

He's a businessman and owns the club. He wants to see profit made. At the end of the day, if we don't make top four it's a massive hit to the club. We are already in a lot of debt. 

Who is owed the debt ? Answer, the person who created the debt.

https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/04784127-fordstam-limited#:~:text=Fordstam Limited is an active,submitted on 22nd May 2020.

Hasn't changed for me. But then I have never regarded him as this saviour figure who came along and saved our club from extinction. That was Ken Bates IMO.

I'm sure Abramovich has probably formed some emotional attachment to the club over the years but as enigma rightly points out above, he is a business man first and foremost. Chelsea are an investment like any other and need to make money.

I have also never believed that our board has the autonomy to sign off on any major decisions, including transfers, sackings and signing up to the ESL without Roman rubber-stamping them. The old saying of "the buck stops here" should be changed in our case to "the Bruce Buck stops at Roman's door".

It was a difficult decision to make, if we jumped off the train and the SL went ahead, we could see the other 11 clubs + whichever one that replaces us in the SL overtake us after everything he built.

Imagine in a couple years time, Spurs and Arsenal would be raiding our best players like we're Southampton. He is rich but not City/PSG level where he could compete financially no matter what.

1 hour ago, coco said:

I agree that Roman and the board haven't helped themselves. The buying of average players and not capitalising on winning the league. We won the league and then went backwards every time after Jose's first stint. But from Roman's pov, he probably wanted to secure finances for Chelsea without reliance on making top four as the money would always be there. 

Edited by enigma

Like i said in the other thread, the guy is already worth 15 BILLIONS. Why the need to go and throw everything you did for the club over the past 15 years for 300 millions? For a guy that loves football as much as him he should have known that it was bad idea, maybe wanted revenge from the UK gouverment ? My opinion of him didnt really change because i never thought he was a good person in the first place. Couldnt care less about the money he gives to charity, thats money washing 101.

I`m guessing Roman was "advised" by the likes of Bruce Buck on this, it looks like he has instigated the club taking part in this f**king moronic money grab. What will be interesting now is just how Roman reacts to it, is he genuinely disappointed by the way this looks on him and the club, because if he is I expect to see heads rolling pretty sharpish.

1 minute ago, dkw said:

I`m guessing Roman was "advised" by the likes of Bruce Buck on this, it looks like he has instigated the club taking part in this f**king moronic money grab. What will be interesting now is just how Roman reacts to it, is he genuinely disappointed by the way this looks on him and the club, because if he is I expect to see heads rolling pretty sharpish.

That as well.

We look like flippin idiots and very likely have killed any chance we have for a successful season as I believe it will be near impossible for the players and manager to recover from this in time.

https://www.thechelseachronicle.com/club-news/chelsea-supporters-demand-two-club-executives-be-held-accountable-for-super-league-farce/

12 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

He needs to personally apologize for this. No one believes it happened without his rubber stamp.

He spoke directly about the reasons for Frank's sacking, he needs to speak directly to the fans and admit he made a serious mistake. Not a board member, Roman himself.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any public statement or apology from Roman if I was you.