coco

Man City V Chelsea (PL) Sun 10th Feb 16:00 UK

But even Conte failed to get the best out of this squad in the last half of that season. They downed tools on Conte as well
I don't think he failed to get the best out of the team for that second season.
From my own perspective, I think probably, there was an agreement between Conte and the board to invest in this squad when he join, but after the board observed how he was able to overachieve in his first season with the average squad he has, the board failed to honor there agreement in the second season which made Conte felt betrayed and sad but he was still able to get the best out of this team by winning the FA Cup. And trust me, if Christensen hadn't made that horrible pass that led to Barcelona's equaliser at the bridge in the champions league and we took that one goal advantage to Camp Nou, we definitely would have gone far even in the champions league or win just like in 2012.
So I don't think Conte failed to get the best out of this team in his second season, what I saw was an ambitious manager who was sad and lost focus because the board failed to support him to take us to the next level after winning the league, and mind you, I will take Conte's second season over this season right now.

who would you change 
for me, our defense needs change first they are clueless once the ball is near them
Trust me, I think we have better players and options in defence than Liverpool, Tottenham and United. The problem I see with this team is, the way Sarri set up the midfield. I think in training, Sarri always focus on training our midfielders to attack and not to defend simply because it worked in Italy.
If Jorginho continue to play the defensive midfielder role, everytime we play away from home, there will always be too much pressure on our midfielders to defend. And when the defence is under too much pressure, it's just a matter of time before the opponent find a way to score.

Is Azpi really good enough or he has been lucky to play under counter attacking managers who have all protected his flaws?
I think Azpilicueta is a very good defender and even world class considering how he can also play CB and LB perfectly. The problem is, since Jose's time, he has played too much games due to not having a good replacement. And we shouldn't forget that he is getting older, so playing too much games with his age has actually affected his game, so I don't expect him to be as consistent as he used to be.

18 minutes ago, Fansince65 said:

History repeated itself the summer after Conte won the title. Again he pleaded with the board for 6 top notch signings to strengthen, bearing in mind we had by now lost Lampard & Terry and what did he get? Morata, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Rudiger, Zappacosta and several other "average" players most of whom are no longer at the club. Need I say more? 

It's actually worse than that. If those players had been brought in to strengthen the squad, so be it... they were young and good depth as we were about to play more games... instead, they were brought in as replacements...

The squad didn't get deeper. The squad didn't get better... the squad got younger... and worse...

Everyone knew we couldn't go through Champions League with a squad as thin as the one we had that won the title, but there was not reinforcements brought in, just younger replacements to rebuild for the future... which in itself would have been fine if Morata and Bakayoko had been the second coming of Aguero and Toure... but they weren't... ironically, Bakayoko is closer than Aguero...

Guardiola on Sarri etc: "People don't understand how difficult it is to do something. In my first season it was tough too. It takes time, it needs owners to really believe in that. I don't have to convince Txiki, he knows me. He knows I'm not good when I win or bad when I lose."

I think Pep hit the nail on the head when he said that it depends how much the owner wants want attacking football. 
If they sack Sarri, it means they have given up. 
Problem is, even if the board invest massively in this team, and we bring in world class players for every position in the team, the success won't last for more than a season because Sarri has only plan A, the team will get found out and bad results will follow, Sarri will eventually be sacked and the new manager might also come with a different plan and the board will need to invest all over again. Signing Sarri has been a big mistake!

46 minutes ago, wallosh said:

From my own perspective, I think probably, there was an agreement between Conte and the board to invest in this squad when he join, but after the board observed how he was able to overachieve in his first season with the average squad he has, the board failed to honor there agreement in the second season which made Conte felt betrayed and sad but he was still able to get the best out of this team by winning the FA Cup. And trust me, if Christensen hadn't made that horrible pass that led to Barcelona's equaliser at the bridge in the champions league and we took that one goal advantage to Camp Nou, we definitely would have gone far even in the champions league or win just like in 2012.
So I don't think Conte failed to get the best out of this team in his second season, what I saw was an ambitious manager who was sad and lost focus because the board failed to support him to take us to the next level after winning the league, and mind you, I will take Conte's second season over this season right now.

Of course the players downed tools on Conte. Let's not be blind to it, just because you are a Conte fan.

Yes, let's keep persisting with thrashings under the guise of this rubbish known as "Sarriball".
Maybe we'll lose 8-0 in our next away game. However, at least we can boast about being an attacking team.

Of course the players downed tools on Conte. Let's not be blind to it, just because you are a Conte fan.

Or like Conte, maybe the players were also disappointed with the board for not strengthening the team especially in January when it appears we needed one or two quality players to make the team better?

Well, apart from Courtois who always want to go back to Madrid and Costa who was distracted by the offer from China, I still remember the players being 110% committed when it matters most in the Champions league against Barcelona and the Fa cup final against Man United.

That's a big difference from what we are having this season. With Sarri still here and Jorginho certain to start in the Carabao cup final, am not very confident of us winning the cup. But despite all the challenges in Conte's second season, even though I know its difficult to beat Jose in the final of any tournament, I trusted in Conte to come up with a plan that will win us the Fa cup and he didn't disappoint when he ditched his favourite 3-4-3 formation for the defensive 3-5-2 which frustrated Jose's team and won us the cup.

So that's a big difference from what we are having right now, isn't it?

18 hours ago, El_Phenomeno said:

Sorry but this what everyone wanted. I distinctly remember most fukers on here wanting to see possession and attacking football and would be quite happy to lose trying. You got what you wanted so fck off.

Sarri is not a winner, he played good football with Napoli but they didnt win anything. Conte on the otherhand was a serial winner..4 leagues..3 Italien and then PL on the trot. At the same time

Conte was not stupid..he knew he couldnt play attacking football with these sh!t players..so he adapted and pulled a miracle winning the league and fa cup. If he was backed in the tfr market im sure he would have made the style slightly more expansive. 

Any manager who has ever won anything is able to adapt..has different strategies for different games..changes tactics. Sarri hasnt changed once..in fact ive never seen a coach this stubborn. Hence, why hel never win anything. 

Sarri has repeatedly criticised the players in public in the last month. The only other coach whose done that is Morinho..but as a player youd rather take that criticism from one of the most successful managerd ever. Not a former banker smoker whose never won anything. 

Sarri has had the worst start then all managers in last 16 years..including scolari and AVB. 

He is playing the greatest defensive midfielder weve ever seen out of position. Its because of Kante Leicester, Chelsea and France won the fcking league and world cup. What do you do? Start playing him right wing ahahahaha.

But its ok everyone wanted lovely attacking football. 

He is out of his depth on so many levels..tactics, ability to change a game, player selection, motivating, handling press..endless list. 

Chelsea have never looked this spineless..he has singlehandedly taken away the identity of Chelsea FC. 

Give him time? For what ..hes never won anything. Klopp and Guardiola at least won so they were working towards something and always demonstrated competencies in key skills that Sarri has failed miserably in already.

Mate, grow up.

Popping up like the cat that got the cream to try and  score points against other Chelsea fans after an awful defeat, on the basis that you are some sort of wise owl and knew better all along. Aren't you just so clever !!!

For a start, if you are sad enough to use this situation to score points, and in turn refer to other form members as "f**kers" and tell them to "f**k off" then how about you actually dig up the posts in question and debate them like an adult, as opposed to putting words in peoples mouths and seemingly declaring yourself victorious.

As for the content of your 'rant', I can't even be bothered to debate with you because you have shown what you are looking to get out of this from your opening line, and you will no doubt repeat yourself and all your regurgitated points until the cows come home.

One thing is for sure though, if you are even half as clever as you clearly think you are, then I reckon their is a role for you within the club. Potentially Director of football, who knows. I think you may be wasted in that role though; they may actually need to create a new role to accommodate your vast & superior footballing knowledge I think. Have you ever considered going into Management yourself?

1 minute ago, wallosh said:

Or like Conte, maybe the players were also disappointed with the board for not strengthening the team especially in January when it appears we needed one or two quality players to make the team better?
Well, apart from Courtois who always want to go back to Madrid and Costa who was distracted by the offer from China, I still remember the players being 110% committed when it matters most in the Champions league against Barcelona and the Fa cup final against Man United.
That's a big difference from what we are having this season. With Sarri still here and Jorginho certain to start in the Carabao cup final, am not very confident of us winning the cup. But despite all the challenges in Conte's second season, even though I know its difficult to be Jose in the final of any tournament, I trusted in Conte to come up with a plan that will win us the Fa cup and he didn't disappoint when he ditched his favourite 3-4-3 formation for the defensive 3-5-2 which frustrated Jose's team and won us the cup.
So that's a big difference from what we are having right now, isn't it?

Cute little stories, but if you are so blind that you can't see that the players downed tools with Conte, then there is no point discussing any further. Anyways toxic Conte is not here anymore, again no point discussing what if's and maybe's. 

1 hour ago, wallosh said:

Trust me, I think we have better players and options in defence than Liverpool, Tottenham and United. The problem I see with this team is, the way Sarri set up the midfield. I think in training, Sarri always focus on training our midfielders to attack and not to defend simply because it worked in Italy.
If Jorginho continue to play the defensive midfielder role, everytime we play away from home, there will always be too much pressure on our midfielders to defend. And when the defence is under too much pressure, it's just a matter of time before the opponent find a way to score.

I think you are wrong in here. If anything, Sarri's post-match comments have mostly pointed out that they are not defending correctly, not pressing well enough as a team, and that that defensive aspect needs more work in training. So I sincerely think that they train the defensive aspect of the game, how to recover the ball fast after they lose it, it just happens that the team/players have not either grasped how to do it or don't have the energy required to do high pressing as City does in most matches, for example. The central point of Sarri's football, and for that matter also Guardiola's style, is that if you keep the ball you won't need to defend, and if you lose the ball the whole team has to press immediately to recover the ball as soon as possible. Look at how many players City, or Barcelona before, press the opponent player that has the ball, 2-3, and they get to their man as soon as they lose the ball. That is what is not working for us at the moment (among many other things like the amount of touches our attacking players have on the ball rather than one touch football to break quickly into their box). But I understand from Sarri's interviews that this defensive aspect is being trained, just the players can't understand it or do no carry it out correctly. And it is obvious from our matches that many times we don't press correctly and with high intensity.

Most embarrassing performances I have ever witnessed as a chelsea fan have both come in the past 2 weeks... An utter and complete shambles. Carragher was right in saying that we have become what Arsenal have been for the past few years in which they have been getting battered by big teams. 

At least under Conte and Jose, we played really awful negative football at times. Maybe the stats were really one sided.. But the scoreline would rarely ever go over 2-0. Losing to 4-0 to Bournemouth and 6-0 to City is beyond embarrassing. I know Sarri is easy to blame, and of course he does share in the blame. But until the board completely changes the way the clubs run, im afraid in the long term nothing is going to change for us. Changing managers who have a short burst of doing well, then they fail inevitably due to poor transfers and our loan system and then they get sacked and we repeat the process again and again... 

To think that this might not even be the worst point of the season is frightening. 

I think you are wrong in here. If anything, Sarri's post-match comments have mostly pointed out that they are not defending correctly, not pressing well enough as a team, and that that defensive aspect needs more work in training. So I sincerely think that they train the defensive aspect of the game, how to recover the ball fast after they lose it, it just happens that the team/players have not either grasped how to do it or don't have the energy required to do high pressing as City does in most matches, for example. The central point of Sarri's football, and for that matter also Guardiola's style, is that if you keep the ball you won't need to defend, and if you lose the ball the whole team has to press immediately to recover the ball as soon as possible. Look at how many players City, or Barcelona before, press the opponent player that has the ball, 2-3, and they get to their man as soon as they lose the ball. That is what is not working for us at the moment (among many other things like the amount of touches our attacking players have on the ball rather than one touch football to break quickly into their box). But I understand from Sarri's interviews that this defensive aspect is being trained, just the players can't understand it or do no carry it out correctly. And it is obvious from our matches that many times we don't press correctly and with high intensity.
Plus Pep uses a natural defensive midfielder in Fernadinho to shield his defence while Sarri's devotion to Jorginho will never work in the EPL

9 hours ago, wallosh said:

Less games in Conte's first season as we weren't in Europe, plus Diego was a beast.

Is documented that players started to find the training a bit hard and also looked like he was falling out with certain individuals - David Luiz, Willian (and Diego before them)  as well as not being happy with the backing he was getting from the club.