coco

Man City V Chelsea (PL) Sun 10th Feb 16:00 UK

3 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

We don’t have top recruitment though, do we? Look at the utter dross we’ve spent hundreds of millions on. Drinkwater, Bakayoko etc etc.

I could understand the board being apprehensive to back Sarri the way Pep has. Look at their career comparisons, pep has won everything. Sarri has won nothing.

So why did they hire him then? The funny thing is, Roman wanted Pep years ago, but Pep refused because of the hiring and firing strategy from our board. It hasn't changed has it? And comparing Pep and Sarri is pointless because Sarri started from the literal bottom and worked his way up, whereas Pep managed Barca B side and then went into the main job where he had a handful of elite talents in the side. Sarri has never had the fortune of working with talent like that. He turned Napoli into what they are today, he improved those players. 

Absolutely no back bone in this team

2 world class players one of which will be off, the rest are bang average.

I blame really poor signings all that money wasted.

If we had the money to hand we would still buy average players

Blame the scouts and the board.

Small blame lies with Sarri for not mixing the starting eleven up.

But he can only use the tolls he has

Just now, Nibs said:

Because as soon as I saw that line-up I feared the worst. We are playing THE most dangerous side in Europe, away, but go into the game as if we were playing Huddersfield again. He isn't learning from his mistakes (and those mistakes are mounting up). We go 1-0 down, 2-0 down, CHANGE SOMETHING before we end up getting hammered. But no, he doesn't know how to change a game. We all know Willian will come on for Pedro and RLC for Barkley and we'll stick to Sarri's rigid system as he doesn't know anything else. He is limited and regrettable I think he is out of his depth.

Change what? The players lost it by themselves already, he doesn't have a miracle on the bench this team is suppose to be the one getting the job done. At 1:0 what is he suppose to do, tell Alonso to use his eyes or head a bit during the game? Or just simply sub him off? Same for Barkley? 2 subs at 20 minutes, meaning that the ones he chose to start the game are actually horrible.

You might say that Sarri has his 4-3-3 set forever and that he won't change his formation, but that's hardly the reason why Alonso just abandons his position for no reason...Napoli plays better than us, it turns out Sarri came for more money to a worse team but to a better league.

2 minutes ago, enigma said:

I don't see how he's supposed to change it up though. We tried Emerson he was shocking vs Bournemouth, positionally was sh*t. We have no other genuine game changers on the bench. Who can we bring on that suddenly changes this game? There is nobody. Our recruitment has been shocking for years, but there's a group of players who aren't good enough. 

He may not be able to do much about the players he has, but tactically he can do a lot more. Tighten things up defensively, sort that midfield out, they look lost in their positions and so easy to play through. Persisting with Jorginho, a player who is so isolated defensively is just poor management. Change the formation a bit, get Kante deeper so he can help Jorginho out. The way the midfield is set up now is asking for trouble. Get tight to Jorginho or play one pass through Jorginho and we are screwed. Sarri has done nothing to change this, he's just persisted with seeing Jorginho struggle, Kante too (despite what people say, I think he looks awkward in his current role) Get Alonso out of the team, I'm not saying Emerson is the answer, far from it, he could be sh*t too, but Alonso can't play in a back 4 in this team. If he was playing for a more defensive minded team, maybe, but not one as open as we are. Give Emerson a run in the team, not 1 game and out, an actual run in the team. If he isn't good enough, then we will need to buy a new LB or move Azpilicueta there and try somebody else at RB. Also, instruct them to tackle, there is zero bite in our tackles. It's like we are afraid to do any proper tackling, it's so half hearted, this could be more to do with the players than coaching though.

1 minute ago, Brutos said:

His final season plenty of games were horrible. You can go bad to match day threads and see the same behavior you are seeing now in those threads from fans

you mean he didn't attack with Bakayoko and Drinkwater as midfield options 

he changed the tactics to cover our midfield problems 

Just now, TJB said:

Carragher just said we've turned into Arsenal under Sarri and it's a fair point to make tbh

Arsenal at least scored we don't even do that 

Just now, abramovich said:

Sarri had, once again, a full week, to prepare the team. City played on Wednesday. 

By 24th minute we were already four goals down. 

Either he's an incompetent buffoon who has no idea what he's doing or he's an arrogant moron who stupidly refuses to adapt.

the players have to take some responsibilty too. Honestly beyond one or 2 of this team the rest can do one. I would rather see the youth start

Don't make a single change.  Make the players who got us into this mess carry the burden of the result.  Then make changes next game.  I wouldn't sub a single person off but you better believe Barkley Jorginho and Alonso are not playing in my side next game.

6 minutes ago, Snedger said:

Do you honestly believe that there is even a remote chance that someone will a) Give him the 300million plus to spend in order to get a squad both suited and talented enough to play his style and b) allow him to sign the players he wants and not the ones ‘they’ want?

I’m not saying he should be sacked, just wondering what the chances are of the incredible amount of FFP smashing spending needed being sanctioned?

I think we’re in a lose lose. We can’t or won’t spend to make it work and if we sack him for someone who can make us difficult to beat, we end up being boring to watch and ultimately still not nearly as good as City it Liverpool, or even dare I say it, Utd and Spurs.

So how do we ever challenge for the title or CL again then? We may as well not talk of top four again because if the club don't have the ambition to back the manager to challenge, we as fans may as well forget about it too. Everything comes from the powers above at the club, so if Roman isn't passionate or hungry enough to invest or want to challenge, we may as well stay conceded to our place as a club challenging for a top 6 place. If we are truly ambitious then I want to see it from the board. It means paying loads of money on world class talent. 

1 minute ago, Nibs said:

Because as soon as I saw that line-up I feared the worst. We are playing THE most dangerous side in Europe, away, but go into the game as if we were playing Huddersfield again. He isn't learning from his mistakes (and those mistakes are mounting up). We go 1-0 down, 2-0 down, CHANGE SOMETHING before we end up getting hammered. But no, he doesn't know how to change a game. We all know Willian will come on for Pedro and RLC for Barkley and we'll stick to Sarri's rigid system as he doesn't know anything else. He is limited and regrettable I think he is out of his depth.

Bang on.. He's had a full week to prepare for this game, we have had brain farts in defence but the whole debacle began with a free kick given away by Jorginho, a player who is a luxury in a match like this. His 'football' just doesn't work in hard away games, teams have sussed his tactics out. The saddest part is in two weeks time we will set up exactly the same and expect a different result. 

1 minute ago, Scott Harris said:

He may not be able to do much about the players he has, but tactically he can do a lot more. Tighten things up defensively, sort that midfield out, they look lost in their positions and so easy to play through. Persisting with Jorginho, a player who is so isolated defensively is just poor management. Change the formation a bit, get Kante deeper so he can help Jorginho out. The way the midfield is set up now is asking for trouble. Get tight to Jorginho or play one pass through Jorginho and we are screwed. Sarri has done nothing to change this, he's just persisted with seeing Jorginho struggle, Kante too (despite what people say, I think he looks awkward in his current role) Get Alonso out of the team, I'm not saying Emerson is the answer, far from it, he could be sh*t too, but Alonso can't play in a back 4 in this team. If he was playing for a more defensive minded team, maybe, but not one as open as we are. Give Emerson a run in the team, not 1 game and out, an actual run in the team. If he isn't good enough, then we will need to buy a new LB or move Azpilicueta there and try somebody else at RB. Also, instruct them to tackle, there is zero bite in our tackles. It's like we are afraid to do any proper tackling, it's so half hearted, this could be more to do with the players than coaching though.

I agree we don't have a plan at all while other teams attack our weakness we rely on our passing 

1 minute ago, forbzy said:

the players have to take some responsibilty too. Honestly beyond one or 2 of this team the rest can do one. I would rather see the youth start

The youth would fare no better because the guy setting them up is the same.

Sarri simply isn’t a very good tactician 

3 minutes ago, Andy2461 said:

RLC in place of Barkley for a start

kante back in his natural position 

CHO when fit

He won’t play kante where Jorginho plays he is key to his system.

I didn’t say how would you play a system because me and you have no clue about football systems in reality.

So CHO - how many games has he changed when starting, how many has Pedro changed?

RLC for Barkley, no problem I accept that...beyond that his options are limited this is our strongest team, it is what it is.

If they can’t play his system which we have seen is phenomenal at Napoli, it’s world class, we should but by bit  get him the players that suit it.

This is what you do you get a style of football at a club, not a bunch of players and keep swapping managers who can ram a round peg into a square hole 

1 minute ago, Ernie_blue said:

Alonso's attitude for that first goal was awful, should be dropped for a while just for that.

He's tall so he will keep his place, Giroud could possibly be a better defender.

The gameplan for Sarri second half should be get 5 players sent off and forfeit the game at 3-0. Sarri don't have a plan B. Here is a dramatic one. Will help us not fall behind Arsenal on GD too.