coco

Malmo V Chelsea (EL) Thurs 14th Feb 20:00 UK

19 minutes ago, Stas1 said:

I hope you don't take offence, Yorkley, but I just imagined you as secondhand car salesman, who was pointed by a customer to missing brakes, smashed headlights and flat tyres, and at that growled back "what more do you want you spoilt f**k? "

Is this true? lool

4 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Post match today he said we played "his" football.

Good result away from home and Malmo are so poor and out of shape that i'll take us advancing for granted at this point. And for now thats good enough in this competition.

We did for a spell in the second half. We really should have killed it off with a third and not conceded that goal. The narrative would then have been very different and that spell in the 2nd half would have been the main talking point perhaps.

Edited by Dean

4 minutes ago, Dean said:

I think one can make the case that it’s just not clicking yet. We see some glimpses of what it’s meant to he, including tonight, but it’s not there yet, and there’s a fine line between it looking great and woeful. I think I understand what Sarri’s trying to do, and see where he’s coming from when he says we haven’t seen his football yet. That’s one of the reasons I find the negativity exasperating. 

I'm being honest, i'm just no longer seeing it. Througout the beginning of Sarri's reign i was seeing flashes of brilliance. There was a pattern, there was a style. Yes there was vulnerability and mistakes but it was still entertaining to watch. We then got busted by Spuds and Jorginho (and thus Sarri) were exposed. Since then, other than the very occasional glimpse, i just haven't seen the same cavalier embracing of his philosophy. Not only does this style not look like Sarri's Napoli, i don't even think its representative of Sarri's early (Pre Tottenham) Chelsea

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

64% possession yet only 4 shots on target.

We do nothing with the amount of time we get on the ball. 

Also, when was the last time Sarri made a substitution that positively impacted the team?

This is what weve been saying for 4 months now. We brought in a manager who was supposed to bring us attacking football. But weve been starved of goals, and we play dull lifeless football. Possession doesnt mean attacking football. I much preferred what i saw under Conte bar one or two unacceptable defensive displays last year. 

Im probably the 100th person to say it today, but the treatment of CHO has been absolutely shocking. 7 mins. Thats all he gets. Sarri is so stubborn its unreal, and i dont understand why he decided to play him for one or two games only to completely freeze him out as soon as the window shut. If you have no intention of ever using him, let the kid leave and become a star like Sancho.

5 minutes ago, rtwelch said:

We’ve still only lost 7 games this season in all competitions. It’s not all bad  :good2:

bro didn't you get the memo? It's Chelsea - always in crisis mode - well according to the media - btw did everyone have the same commentator? The one that kept spouting that Kante should be playing as a regista or that the tie is not over, despite Chelsea scoring two away goals?

1 hour ago, WhiteWall said:

Obviously i want to win and winning trophies will generally help forget any lucky or uninspiring performances along the way. But in truth, for me, i just want to be entertained and I don't think that's entitlement. Forgetting the hammerings or the scrappy wins, its the impotent football and naive defensive tactics that i am struggling with.

We're caning Sarri, possibly with some justification, although i have posted my thoughts before about professional footballers who have been in the system since they were 8 and now in their mid 20's can't adapt to working in a different 15 yard space than they are used to, but this isn't the Sarriball that everyone was talking about and posting passages of Napoli's play.

That was fast incisive passing, rapid movement off the ball and a close unity within the team from the centre half to the centre forward. This is stale with players retaining possesion and running furiously 10 yards sideways to chop the ball once, twice, three times only to return the ball back to where it satrted. Ultimately pointless and bereft of creativity.

Thsi is not what Nouman was showing us with his tactical youtube clips. This is not Sarriball, and i for one am really disappointed because i was really looking forward to watching that style of football. Fck the results, i just wanted us to play exciting and entertaining football.

I watched Spuds last night and granted Dortmund were too young, inexperienced and ultimately not strong enough. But i enjoyed watching them, the movement, the purposeful passing, the interaction, the intention to create.

I'm not moaning about tonight, this will be forgotten should we go through to the next round. After all most of us have already forgotten how turgid we were to watch throughout the group stage. It's just such a shame, i was really looking forward to this guy ushering in a new style and a new era. I'm not sure if Sarri can do it here now, but what's more worrying from his frank recent interviews it sounds like he's not sure either.

This group of players haven't turned to sh*te overnight or are not capable of learning. What would your reaction be if your told week in week and out that your are mentality weak, while continually listening to your manager telling the world how great the opposition is....I guess that might put a damper on things and really make you want you to play your heart out..............not.  At the moment his stubbornness and his inability to learn about this league, and that you must adapt to be successful is not sinking in, yet he says the players can't grasp 'his' football. Maybe he needs to adapt to the league that these players know, rather than changing things entirely the other way round.  Pedro said it best a couple of days ago pointed out that when teams press them they can't play Sarriball; well if he is saying that, he's only one of 11 so I'm sure the entire team thinks the same way.  The players are looking for guidance and direction when they can't play the myth that is Sarriball, yet they are not getting either, other than the miserable Plan A shoved down their throats.   Maybe it will all come together next season, but we are not seeing the slightest improvement even after 6 months.   

I think it would be fair to say that us fans who watch this league week in week out know that with any new style of football, the first time around you are likely to be successful, however 2nd time around you will be found out; there is no place to hide in this league and you will get punished if you continue to play exactly the way you did the first time around and I think we have been witnessing it in recent weeks.  I guess he's left with at least 3 options - (i)Sarri continues with Plan A and the bad results continue - (ii)Sarri continues working on Plan A together with a Plan B and stops being so rigid and stubborn while adapting to the league (although he has continually said there is no Plan B until Plan A is perfected)- (iii) For Sarri it all goes up in smoke and he walks the plank.  I think Sundays game will decide his fate especially if we get hammered.

Good result. Away from home in a European cup tie after a 6-0 battering, always had the potential to be a big banana skin fixture regardless of the opposition.

Positives: 

Players on the whole showed fight and desire. Malmo played physical and aggressive. We managed to match them. 

Both goals were well worked attacking moves from open play. 

Good spell after the second goal meant we should've had 1-2 more. Barkley had a really good chance to make it 3-1. Giroud had a decent chance as well off the Willian freekick. 

Giroud scores! Finally! Thought his hold up play was pretty decent and brought others into the game well. A real shame about his finishing because I think he does well as a focal point for our attack. He's basically a French Emile Heskey?

Not sure if it was Malmo's lack of talent on their right wing, or if Emerson had a solid game. Can't remember much happening down our left flank which is a near miracle nowadays.

Negatives:

Very, very soft goal to concede. Luiz with the initial terrible pass to let them in. Christensen with a ridiculously lackadaisical "tackle". Kovacic loses his mark. Luiz never looked to be "busting a gut" to get back until it was too late. All three at fault for me and again, extremely simple defensive mistakes lead to another goal. (Kovacic let King run past him for the first Bournemouth goal as well. Not a good trend)

Malmo pressed us hard at times and we only juuuuuuust managed to play out of it. Imagine what would happen against better teams

Still looking very susceptible to the counter attack. If we lose the ball in midfield, it almost feels like a 50/50 chance we'll concede.

We still look labored in possession. Players still seem to be picking the wrong pass, or dribble, which then causes us to lose momentum and start playing sideways. It just seems we don't have that mental quickness to play one-touch, pass and go football in tight spaces. We do better when we have space to counter attack into. When we don't have alot of space and time, mistakes start to happen. 

All in all, a good result, especially given the situation. We had opportunities to put the tie to bed, but we ended up letting them back in it at the end. An encouraging response after Man City, and hope to build on it for Man U!

KTBFFH!!

Have to admit I'm turning into the sort of supporter I used to despise. To be fair I was up at 4.00am yesterday so was knackered, but I nodded off at half-time and missed the second half. Wasn't a lot to get excited about is my excuse but a win is a win.

Not quite sure why Ampadu was nowhere to be seen - has he picked up an injury? PLEASE can we have some fresh faces for the Man Utd game on Monday.

Thinking about the game last night I'm still wrapping my head around the starting line up and substitutions. 

It felt like Sarri was trying to rotate and rest players but players who have played a lot of football were still picked such as Jorginho, Dave, Luiz and Willian. 

Then the substitutes were bringing on more players that feature heavily. 

I don't know, it all felt a bit strange to me and the Hudson-Odoi sub 6 minutes from time just felt like an empty gesture. 

He rested Rudiger, Alonso, Higuaín and Hazard until the 80th, also Kante until the 74th.

Jorginho ended his game early.

The CHO omission is an interesting one, Sarri must see something ....  perhaps lack of pressing, no running into space or something else.

It appeared Willian and Pedro gave us more energy up front which offset Giroud's limited movement. 

Defending is a different ball game in the center circle, Luiz thinks he can roam forward and turn into a midfielder, loses the ball with 8 chelsea players in front of him.
I think that was the problem Conte had with him. He is highly talented but not positionally disciplined. Funny enough, Guendouzi is strictly following his footsteps.

3 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Thinking about the game last night I'm still wrapping my head around the starting line up and substitutions. 

It felt like Sarri was trying to rotate and rest players but players who have played a lot of football were still picked such as Jorginho, Dave, Luiz and Willian. 

Then the substitutes were bringing on more players that feature heavily. 

I don't know, it all felt a bit strange to me and the Hudson-Odoi sub 6 minutes from time just felt like an empty gesture. 

In his pre match interview he complained of a game every three days in the coming weeks. With this in mind he quite rightly made a few changes without damaging cohesion. With the game won though I can't get see why he didn't become more pragmatic, if he felt he needed to change Jorginho for Kante allow the former to just sit in front of the defence protecting what we have whilst not using massive amounts of energy. The Hazard substitution was weird with CHO sat on the bench, a fully refreshed Hazard is undoubtedly our best chance of a result against United, CHO even in his very brief cameo went passed two defenders with ease in the closing stages...a final thirty minutes could have done wonders for his confidence. As for the third sub I'd have possibly taken off Azpi and given Zappacosta run for the final ten mins. If another goal had come our way, great but above all don't concede. As it is we now will need to put a strongish side out next Thurs with the cup final looming in the background. Squad management is touted as a failing of Sarri at Napoli perhaps we are seeing a repeat?

On 15/02/2019 at 17:45, robdog said:

UEFA is coming at both Malmo & Chelsea for their fans actions during the match

kinda of a bs reasoning if you ask me

Wow what a wonderful birthday present for me. The day before Brexit too. What a wonderful 48 hours. 

8 hours ago, Munkworth said:

Wow what a wonderful birthday present for me. The day before Brexit too. What a wonderful 48 hours. 

You must be used to the world revolving around you, Munkie :wink:

You're in the food business, may I suggest you develop celery-flavoured marshmellows to throw onto the pitch ? Harmless, yet very Chels.