231 members have voted

1. 1. IN or OUT

• IN
    • OUT
    • Shake it all about
    • You do the Hokey Cokey

4 minutes ago, Sindre said:

No.
I think you should give them a chance if you have the opportunity to do so but winning should always be the main objective of this football club.

And let's not pretend Sarri has done well with the youngsters. We might be about to lose the biggest talent we have had in decades to Bayern because he's barely featured this season. Ampadu is another one that deserves a chance at this point but he isn't getting chances either.

And as we have seen in the Roman era, the managers are under so much pressure that the youth cannot be given an opportunity. You want this hire and fire structure, yet go on to complain about lack of chances for CHO and Ampadu.

The previous years of spend spend spend are no longer sustainable at Chelsea, therefore our academy has to be used. The hire and fire of managers is not the right direction to utilise the academy.

And I have not pretended that Sarri has used the youngsters, but even though he is under the same pressure to win, more so from some fans and media, I believe he has used the youngsters more than most of our previous managers.

Of course he needs to be put out of his misery. How many more foreign managers are going to let us down!?

if we are going to invest time in a manager get  Lampard in. Put someone experienced around him and let’s build a legacy. A Chelsea legacy!

33 minutes ago, Osgood is Good said:

Serious question. What do people prefer ?

1. Continue with the merry go round of managers and not integrating the youth because the "new manager" is under pressure to win things immediately ?

2. Give a manager 2 - 3 years and let them build a team (with some of the youth that is good enough) without the pressure of winning ?.

2. but there always pressure to win, honeymoon periods last about 10 games, the media, the fans, the players and eventually the club, will turn on any manager when results aren't good. It's the culture we have built, we have so much along the way, but was it inspite of the hiring/firing culture, or because of it? 

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

We do love a reaction. 

Feb 2018: Conte and his Sufferball out! Nothing could be more embarrassing than losing 1-0 away with 30 percent possession.

Feb 2019: Oh wait...

Maybe there's a third way? Can anyone of the tactical authorities on here please explain what the fantastic fast attractive and direct attacking type of football system we used under Mourinho the first time round was called? I liked it. We conceded very few goals because our defence was rock solid and yet we flew at teams with shock and awe with our exciting wingers. And our midfielders linked the two ends perfectly by being tough yet creative.

The brief Vialli period was also wonderful. Certainly not quite the same calibre of players as under Jose MkI (a lot less expensive though) but we were an absolute joy to watch and we still won a lot of games. We were always up for it too.

So keep him whilst looking for someone who is prepared to set up as we did in the times above and sign some decent players for them. A lot of this is about the players and ours aren't good enough. But trying to make run of the mill players achieve the most demanding and inflexible type of football ever dreamt up by a bank manager is pissing in the wind.

I want him to stay...but we've had some thoroughly unacceptable losses. He seems bereft of ideas and lays the blame solely on the players failing to meet his system, rather than altering his own tactics to suit the players. I loathe changing managers regularly...but seriously...6-0. That's not Chelsea.

22 minutes ago, Cam said:

I want him to stay...but we've had some thoroughly unacceptable losses. He seems bereft of ideas and lays the blame solely on the players failing to meet his system, rather than altering his own tactics to suit the players. I loathe changing managers regularly...but seriously...6-0. That's not Chelsea.

Nope Caragher is rarely right but we are now wenger's arsenal. His last arsenal.

4 hours ago, Brutos said:

This situation fits perfectly into the current political climate with Brexit. People want out of Europe but can't explain or have a plan of what out looks like. Chelsea fans want to change manager again but can't explain or have a plan of what it looks like.

You really have a habit of posting some utter f**king tripe don't you 

Sarri will not tweak his system UNTIL he feels his group of players has learned it fully. 

I don't think he'll be given a chance to fully implement his system, but it is obvious we have way too much player power at the club. I am hoping for a squad over haul that Sarri oversees. Unfortunately, even if we have an overhaul, its going to be board driven. 

Taking a step back, looking at our squad, man for man, against our competitors.

I'd say Man City, Liverpool definitely have stronger squads

Man Utd are a little stronger than us but have a great deal more depth

Tottenham are probably a little stronger than us now

Arsenal we probably edge it

Everyone else (Everton, etc), we are stronger than

That would realistically put us around 5th (3rd in a good year, 6th in a not great year)

Losing 6-0 isn't acceptable, but on the whole, we are not far off our realistic level.

Edited by Qaz

37 minutes ago, Qaz said:

That would realistically put us around 5th (3rd in a good year, 6th in a not great year)

Losing 6-0 isn't acceptable, but on the whole, we are not far off our realistic level.

Agree with this. Think where we are now is fair, battle with Arsenal for 5th. 

Too many players either not good enough: Alonso, Luiz, jorginho, barkely, Kovacic, Willian, Pedro, Giroud.

Or not trusted by sarri to be good enough and therefore no use: emerson, Christensen, CHO, RLC, Ampadu, Cahill

51 minutes ago, Qaz said:

I agree with that. United will take 4th now that they have a manager who isn't dividing the team. But they have their limitations too, especially in defense. The club has 2 choices now:

1. Keep Sarri. Accept 5th or 6th this season with perhaps an outside chance of a cup. Then back him this summer in the market so the squad can get the required overhaul.

2. Get rid of Sarri. Start again and probably go back to counter attacking football as that is all our squad seems capable of. Then we go through the same rubbish in a year or 2. We will still need to overhaul the squad and we will probably be stuck with a bunch of players that the next manager doesn't want. 

Either option is going to be pricey. But I would like to see the manager backed this time, rather than the players. I don't know if Sarri will turn around but a lot of the current squad need to be moved on regardless of the manager. 

I don't know if he should be sacked or not, but if he continues being stubborn with his one "style", he will earn his sacking sooner or later. It's all well and good to be stubborn if your style yields results, but for someone who has won nothing in his managerial career, it's a bit arrogant to not at least explore different ideas. If we were losing games 4-2 or something of the sort, it would be understandable. Losing 6-0 to City and worse, 4-0 to Bournemouth and struggling to score goals when playing a supposedly "exciting style" is totally unacceptable

Could anyone name me one top club where fans would be happy losing 4-0 to Bournemouth or 6-0 to City? People here tend to get overly dramatic one of two ways: either the manager is sh*t, kick him out immediately, or the players/owner/the board/Marina are total morons who are to blame for everything that's wrong with the world. The truth is usually never that simple.

I think it's a combination of the owner not being able to compete for the best talent out there due to FFP restrictions and other clubs spending big on one hand and Sarri's tactical limitations and his inexperience when it comes to pressure at a top club in a very competetive league, which he's never had before, on the other.

Well, I have had about 12 hours to get past the utter crap that showed up to play City today.

This pretty easy actually. Yes, the players have their own issues, but right now Sarri admits he cannot motivate and he clearly is not a genius at the touchline as plays 2016-17 PL player of the year Kante completely out of position and sticks with Jorginho who just gets killed in midfield. He stuck with the false nine way too long as well. He should return to banking or sacking groceries or something. He is in way over his head in the PL. Some have suggested the Bournemouth defeat was bad, it was. But I see this one as worse as there is no excuse for the players not to be motivated and up for this one. Clearly they were not.

This summer will bring significant changes in the core of our team from the past 5-7 years. I believe Hazard, Willian, Luiz and Alonso may all exit. It will be a rebuild. And it is needed.

Sarri has lost the locker room and everything else. Might as well send him on. Any hope of top four will require an injection of enthusiasm and style of play from somewhere else. Though not wanting Conte back, but the 3-4-3 with Moses and Alonso on the wings look pretty damn exhilarating going forward at the moment. We have played three PL away games in 2019. Three losses by a combined score of 12-0!

Beginning with 11th of November 0-0 draw with Everton, we are 7-2-6 in our past 15 PL matches and outscored 21-18. won 23 out of 45 points. That is like about an 8th or 9th place club.

Come on you Chelsea!!

Considering that we have tried pretty much everything there is to try when it comes to managers except trusting the manager, I presume we need to give Sarri another year. For once, give the manager what he wants and see how it goes. If he's still not able to make it with "his" bunch of players, then it's justified to cut him loose.

For now, let's accept the 5th or 6th position. If we somehow make it back into the top 4, it will be a miracle.

Am usually among the last to clamour for a change in manager, but i'm now unsure about Sarri.

I'm willing to back him if he tries to change something up - particularly in the midfield which has been atrocious all season, in large part because whichever 2 of Jorginho/Kovacic/Barkley are on the field appear to contribute next to nothing offensively nor defensively. His refusal to try Kante in Jorginho's slot and put the latter on the bench is particularly disappointing in my view.

I can sympathise that we've had no striking option until the last week or so, which is not his fault, and that the squad appears in serious need of overhaul. If Hazard stays (which I still think he will), he together with Kante, Kepa and our current starting back four are of sufficient quality to retain (yes I still have faith in our back line despite the last 2 away games, although Alonso may need to go).

With Pulisic coming in, and CHO and RLC promoted to more regular minutes, our most urgent need is a striker and a top playmaking midfielder. If Hazard goes we'll also need a top replacement for him.

The likes of Willian, Pedro, Giroud, Barkley and Jorginho (and Kovacic if we retain him) are decent bench options but none are good enough to start in my view. It may make more sense to offload a few and bring in some younger options with higher potential.

Whether Sarri is the manager to oversee this rebuild or not is of less importance in my opinion, but with his more attacking style of play we really cannot get away with the lack of quality that a Conte or Mourinho could have perhaps patched over.

Of course let's not forget that we spent an inordinate length of time wrangling and penny pinching over the Conte exit.

Even if they wanted to who's to say that this board could even afford to sack Sarri.

Matt Law tweeted that had Conte stayed, he wanted to get rid of at least half of the squad and basically gave the board an ultimatum. Him or the players. 

Another stat - only Kante and Hazard are first choice for their national teams. That says it all about the quality of the squad  

3rd manager in a row that is saying the squad isn’t good enough. Surely the board have to at some point listen. 

Out.

I've supported all managers until the end except for AVB and Scolari. Typically, I don't like changing managers but in this case I'm not against it.

Many of our players are also dispensable at the right price. The culture of the whole club needs to change.

Edited by Jezz

Either stick with him or go back to your roots but I doubt a manager with a great CV will come to this mess.

Maybe Mourinho won't mind a third spell but personally, I don't want him back.

23 minutes ago, Ledgerson said:

Either stick with him or go back to your roots but I doubt a manager with a great CV will come to this mess.

Maybe Mourinho won't mind a third spell but personally, I don't want him back.

We are not a spending club anymore. Jose would not come back without the cash.

In for me. Board needs to make a statement, either in private or public, that Sarri is going nowhere.

See how he does for 3 full seasons. Overhaul the squad where needed. Give him the direction that he needs to start integrating youth. Sign a DoF.