Sarri In or Out?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. IN or OUT

• IN
    • OUT
    • Shake it all about
    • You do the Hokey Cokey

3 hours ago, big blue said:

I dont think it's a case of playing the kids just for the sake of it. The players people are generally pining for are CHO, RLC, and to a lesser extent Christiansen, James, and Abraham. 

Now are those 5 any worse than Pedro, Willian, Barkley, Kovacic, Luiz, Higuian, Giroud, Azpilicueta( in this current system).

In a lot of those cases I think the younger players are at least on par, and in a few of the cases, I think that they could easily surpass the senior players, given some experience. 

I also think younger 'hungry' players are more likely to do the hard stuff like pressing from the front, which Sarri wants

I just read where Giroud has basically said that he has been told by Sarri that he will only play in Europa League games.  That the plan is for Higuaín to play league games.

Why would Sarri say this?  I can see where Sarri wants to set the expectation, but doesn't the manager want to create an atmosphere of competition, where there are two or more players vying for the starting role?  Doesn't that force the players to be sharp in training, and make sure they are doing what he wants in matches?

25 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

I just read where Giroud has basically said that he has been told by Sarri that he will only play in Europa League games.  That the plan is for Higuaín to play league games.

Why would Sarri say this?  I can see where Sarri wants to set the expectation, but doesn't the manager want to create an atmosphere of competition, where there are two or more players vying for the starting role?  Doesn't that force the players to be sharp in training, and make sure they are doing what he wants in matches?

Giroud also said something along the lines of "the manager is not giving me a fair chance".  Wonder how that will go over with Sarri...

1 hour ago, Skinnedy said:

Does it feel like we've changed to a more attacking football philosophy? It feels like a more possession based philosophy, but the results a scarily similar on the offensive side.

Goals
17/18 - 62
18/19 - 63 (projected)

18/19 - 72 (projected)

Goals Against
17/18 - 38
18/19 - 42 (projected)

The whole thing is insane to me. I like the idea of having the ball more. I like the idea of fluid movement. I hated Conte's 8-1-1 that he played based on available personnel.

But WHY, WHY Sarri insists on playing the same players who have no future in this league while trying to implement a system makes zero sense. The biggest offenders being Willian and Pedro. What's the goal here? Get them playing the way you want (assuming you can) and they're a year older (they're already the two oldest wings in the league) and on perpetual one year contracts. 

I think there is a huge personnel problem when it comes to trying to play this system, so how do you solve that? By continuing to play the same old players, literally old, who don't play the style you're hoping to implement. And did I mention that they're old? They're already on the decline, so let's have them implement a new style.... 

"You can only focus on trying to improve 14 players" --- improve them for what? Retirement?

It's maddening...

What those statistics tell me is that no matter what coach we have or what type of football we are playing, the players are still performing at the same level. The variable is the coach, the players are the constant. I agree that I would like to see more of CHO, but sacking Conte did not change a thing and sacking Sarri will not change it either. We need new players to become competitive again, and I prefer to back the coach we now have rather than keeping changing the coach because it changes nothing.

37 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

I am hoping Giroud was quoted out of context or misunderstood. Certainly seems risky for Sarri to alienate one of only 2 striker options that we have, especially if we get the transfer ban and Higuain cannot come back next season. In that situation I imagine the club would want to keep Giroud around for another year or we would really be short on options.

3 hours ago, RMH said:

What those statistics tell me is that no matter what coach we have or what type of football we are playing, the players are still performing at the same level. The variable is the coach, the players are the constant. I agree that I would like to see more of CHO, but sacking Conte did not change a thing and sacking Sarri will not change it either. We need new players to become competitive again, and I prefer to back the coach we now have rather than keeping changing the coach because it changes nothing.

The players don't have to be the constant. That is down to the coach. There are options both in terms of players, formation and tactical changes. 

I don't disagree with the concept of backing the manager. It is long overdue at our club. But I worry we would be backing the weakest manager we have had for a considerable period of time. 

Edited by just

9 hours ago, forbzy said:

I am hoping Giroud was quoted out of context or misunderstood. Certainly seems risky for Sarri to alienate one of only 2 striker options that we have, especially if we get the transfer ban and Higuain cannot come back next season. In that situation I imagine the club would want to keep Giroud around for another year or we would really be short on options.

Why would we want to keep Giroud who can’t score goals in the league when when have Tammy & Batshuayi out on loan?

6 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Media reporting some of our season ticket holders are so fed up with sarriball they are trying to sell off their seats for the remaining home games.

Yes, know a few season ticket holders who have had enough, loads of tickets left for Burnley and Brighton home games, this may tip the club into action regarding manager, 1,000's of empty seats in one of the smallest London grounds will not look good, got a feeling season tickets will be up for grabs at end of season.

14 hours ago, venom2011 said:

Well we've created more chances than most, created more big chances than most, taken more shots inside the area than most, more through balls than anyone and hit the woodwork the most. I don't know what more you need to see than that. If the league was calculated on statistical index we'd probably be second. What we are sorely missing are the players to make all of these stats mean something. Against Everton Jorginho played a delightful chip to put Higuain clean through.....it came to nothing and Jorginho will still be blamed for having no assists.

Stats! Who the f**k gives a flying f**k about stats? Do you work for Opta? How about I watch with my own eyes and make a judgement on what I see? And by using my own eyes I can see that we are in fact sh*t in attack, worse than all our rivals for top 4.

Take your stats and shove em where the sun don't shine, because in football there are only two stats that matter at the end of the game......

58 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Maurizio Sarri remains under pressure at Chelsea and sources still believe he will be sacked, most likely in the summer (Telegraph)

If thats the case we might as well pack it in for the season now, no way is this manager capable of winning the europa league, neither getting us in the top four and brace yourselves for a couple of uncomfortable and embarassing afternoons in April when we go to Liverpool and United!! and PS the football is sh*te.

Put everyone out there misery now please

Well said sir. And the next coach will pick the same players they're complaining about now because they are they best available to achieve the objectives. These fans want him sacked for not (yet) getting into the champions League AND for not playing the youth which makes no sense.

15 hours ago, RMH said:

Well Sarri did change how the team plays and got 2 out of 3 of his most favorite players that he once had in Napoli. 

A spinoff from what you said can be simply to observe how Napoli even without Sarri is still doing the same, second behind Juventus in Serie A, which would make Sarri the total irrelevant factor so why not sack him anyway since he is totally dependent on the players...

Stats! Who the f**k gives a flying f**k about stats? Do you work for Opta? How about I watch with my own eyes and make a judgement on what I see? And by using my own eyes I can see that we are in fact sh*t in attack, worse than all our rivals for top 4.
Take your stats and shove em where the sun don't shine, because in football there are only two stats that matter at the end of the game......

Oh ignorance is bliss. 'Who cares about stats?' Most managers and millions of football fans around the world. The problem with listening to people speak about what they see with their eyes is that most people are f*cking stupid. So if you're debating a point it's more often than not better to use 'facts'.

'If you play chess with a pigeon no matter how well you play, it's just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like it won anyway'

3 hours ago, JM7 said:

Maurizio Sarri remains under pressure at Chelsea and sources still believe he will be sacked, most likely in the summer (Telegraph)

No problem, sacking him now and some fans would always have a right to say how he didn't get the chance he deserved to win at least the Europe League, so sacking him in the summer when he fails to win even that competition will be the final argument against him. 

After the summer he might as well go to China, there he can do what he's doing now, e.g. not playing to the strenghts of his players but implementing a tactic where everyone else needs to adapt to him, perfect for China.

Well Sarri did change how the team plays and got 2 out of 3 of his most favorite players that he once had in Napoli. 
A spinoff from what you said can be simply to observe how Napoli even without Sarri is still doing the same, second behind Juventus in Serie A, which would make Sarri the total irrelevant factor so why not sack him anyway since he is totally dependent on the players...

One of those players are here for legitimate reasons. The other is here because our main striker wanted to leave in January.

Did people say the same after Jose left the first time? 'See, Chelsea are still playing well, Jose was irrelevant.'

2 minutes ago, venom2011 said:

Oh ignorance is bliss. 'Who cares about stats?' Most managers and millions of football fans around the world. The problem with listening to people speak about what they see with their eyes is that most people are f*cking stupid. So if you're debating a point it's more often than not better to use 'facts'.

'If you play chess with a pigeon no matter how well you play, it's just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like it won anyway'

Firstly, I hope you're not calling me stupid!

Secondly, you are correct "Facts" are all that matter. Stats are not facts! And the only "FACT" that matters is the points total at the end of the season. Debate all you want about chances created and possible assists. But until they are converted into "Goals Scored" they mean diddly squat!

5 minutes ago, venom2011 said:

One of those players are here for legitimate reasons. The other is here because our main striker wanted to leave in January.

Did people say the same after Jose left the first time? 'See, Chelsea are still playing well, Jose was irrelevant.'

Sarri was saying how he doesn't care about the transfer market, how he's a coach that makes players better. He made our players worse though, and now someone said that it doesn't matter if Sarri is the manager if the players are the same...it goes against the narrative that Sarri is a good coach, no surprise though.

Well the players are first of all not 100% the same and second if Sarri can't do anything he should be sacked, no point of keeping him if he needs more of his Napoli players here, like I said his own Napoli is doing the same without him, but at least with Ancelotti they are doing better in Europe compared to when Sarri was in Napoli.

11 minutes ago, Old Shaggy said:

Secondly, you are correct "Facts" are all that matter. Stats are not facts! And the only "FACT" that matters is the points total at the end of the season. Debate all you want about chances created and possible assists. But until they are converted into "Goals Scored" they mean diddly squat!

There are some stats that are worthwhile but too many supporters get brainwashed by meaningless stats these days.

"Ooh, we made 5,000 passes compared to our opponents 107 and we had 85% possession and our players ran 30 miles more". 

"Yeah but we lost 2-0".

"But, but THOSE STATS...................................!"

37 minutes ago, Old Shaggy said:

Stats are facts I thought, but 95% off them bore the arse off me.

12 hours ago, just said:

I don't disagree with the concept of backing the manager. It is long overdue at our club. But I worry we would be backing the weakest manager we have had for a considerable period of time. 

just I've been trying to find words to capture how I feel about the situation and you've already done it:

If we look at our criteria:

- Wins trophies

- Plays attractive football 

- Promotes Youth. 

He ticks none of those boxes. I'm sick of us sacking managers, but if we wanted a horse to back he left last year.

3 hours ago, JM7 said:

why doesn't anyone else take the blame? it can't be the coach every time