231 members have voted

1. 1. IN or OUT

• IN
    • OUT
    • Shake it all about
    • You do the Hokey Cokey

1 minute ago, theone said:

why doesn't anyone else take the blame? it can't be the coach every time 

It really shouldn't be the coach every time but IMO today, this season it really is the coach/manager!

If he doesn't win the Europa League Roman won't give him more time.

50 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

It really shouldn't be the coach every time but IMO today, this season it really is the coach/manager!

Certainly there are plenty of areas where we could point the finger at Sarri. For example the limited time afforded to CHO. However the overall malaise we are seeing around the club is not all down to Sarri, and issues will not be fixed just be getting rid of him. We still don't have a Director of Football. So we can expect the same set of business people to select our next coach if Sarri is fired. These are the same people who refused to try and mend the relationship with Conte, and then selected Sarri. Why are they not held accountable when things go wrong?

2 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

just I've been trying to find words to capture how I feel about the situation and you've already done it:

If we look at our criteria:

- Wins trophies

- Plays attractive football 

- Promotes Youth. 

He ticks none of those boxes. I'm sick of us sacking managers, but if we wanted a horse to back he left last year.

Just for sh*ts and giggles, let's assume Conte had stayed.  Do we think that CHO, RLC, and Ampadu are playing more or less than they have this season?

Let's assume, for arguments sake, that the team is the same as the one we have currently.  I know we could get into the what ifs regarding a few players who likely would have left had Conte stayed.

6 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

Let's assume, for arguments sake, that the team is the same as the one we have currently.  I know we could get into the what ifs regarding a few players who likely would have left had Conte stayed.

Luiz had already been frozen out, Willian would have been... Cahill might be playing more, but I think Christensen is back in the team.

would have been nice for Conte to get the 125M Net Spend afforded to Sarri in this window. Might not be in this mess at all.

If he had stayed with the 5-3-2, I doubt CHO gets more time, In that system, neither Pedro or Willian started. but Ampadu and RLC likely would have.

5-2-3 CHO definitely gets more time. And he went back and forth with the 5-3-2, 5-2-3 depending on opposition and schedule.

Yes... they would have gotten more time under Conte.

Ampadu #4 at worst among 3 center backs
CHO - #3 at worst at Wing
RLC - the player that Conte was hoping he was getting in Bakayoko. Could play in either the system

Jorginho would have to be hidden in a 3, the same way Cesc was...

2 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

just I've been trying to find words to capture how I feel about the situation and you've already done it:

If we look at our criteria:

- Wins trophies

- Plays attractive football 

- Promotes Youth. 

He ticks none of those boxes. I'm sick of us sacking managers, but if we wanted a horse to back he left last year.

Not sure Conte is a promoter of youth, but I do think that if he felt a youth player gave him a better chance to win, he'd play him.  And I think that is a major complaint we have about Sarri.

2 hours ago, Gol15 said:

it takes time to implement a style, a coach should get at least 2-3 seasons where he can work his style.

I doubt the next manager will fix everything, he'll  probably one good season and then when things get bad it's back to square one 

Conte told them what was needed and then the board gave him Baka and Drinkwater. it's a recurring pattern. its time to look for the root of the problem 

18 hours ago, Barry Bridges said:

How would the fans handle finishing mid table to integrate the youth?

Probably a lot better than the seasons we finished mid table without trying to integrate youth.

In the modern era we've finished mid table once.

2 hours ago, Boston Blue said:

There are only four stats I care about:

1) Wins

2) Goals Scored

3) Goals Conceded

4) League Position

The rest of them make for a fun discussion, but do they really, truly matter?

Sometimes they absolutely do.

XG and territorial play are two that particularly intrege me, take United last season for example, repeatedly beating their XG rate at both ends but it doesn't last, just by looking at that I knew they would eventually cave and have a rut and they did.

On the opposite end of the spectrum Peps first season at City they were underperforming the XG by some distance due to sh*t finishing and Claudio Bravo, it was pretty clear that wouldn't last forever and they would turn into a pretty formidable side, as what's turned out.

So yeah all the other "fancy stats" are pretty irrelevant in the context of the match just gone, but it can give pretty big clues on the direction the team are heading in the medium/long term.

Edited by Argo

1 hour ago, Skinnedy said:

Luiz had already been frozen out, Willian would have been... Cahill might be playing more, but I think Christensen is back in the team.

would have been nice for Conte to get the 125M Net Spend afforded to Sarri in this window. Might not be in this mess at all.

If he had stayed with the 5-3-2, I doubt CHO gets more time, In that system, neither Pedro or Willian started. but Ampadu and RLC likely would have.

5-2-3 CHO definitely gets more time. And he went back and forth with the 5-3-2, 5-2-3 depending on opposition and schedule.

Yes... they would have gotten more time under Conte.

Ampadu #4 at worst among 3 center backs
CHO - #3 at worst at Wing
RLC - the player that Conte was hoping he was getting in Bakayoko. Could play in either the system

Jorginho would have to be hidden in a 3, the same way Cesc was...

That is all depending on us not signing any player last summer, but if conte had stayed, I'm sure we would've brought in players that likely wouldve pushed those down the pecking order. 

I dont think RLC wouldve been near the team under conte, conte only ever used him as a wide player, so I'm not convinced he wouldve played him as much as sarri. 

We missed the boat with conte after we won the league, I understand we cant get all his targets, but there were still quality players on the market. The likes of Cancelo, Telles, Fabinho, Mahrez, Aubamayang, would all have been available for around the money we spent on Morata, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Barkley, Zappacosta, Giroud, and Emerson.

I know it's easy to look back with hindsight, but all those names were brought up at the time on here. 

Absolute waste of £230m.

8 minutes ago, Argo said:

In the modern era we've finished mid table once.

Depends how you define modern era.  Depends what you consider mid table.

Considering the amount we spend on wages and the squad compared to 80% the league, I classify anything other than top 4 as mid table for us and a few other BPL clubs.  You'll get a similar reaction finishing 6th as you would 10th.  

1 hour ago, Barry Bridges said:

Depends how you define modern era.  Depends what you consider mid table.

Considering the amount we spend on wages and the squad compared to 80% the league, I classify anything other than top 4 as mid table for us and a few other BPL clubs.  You'll get a similar reaction finishing 6th as you would 10th.  

Lol okay. 

6th means we are worst of the best.

10th means we are something else entirely. Wise up

54 minutes ago, Skinnedy said:

Right.. The exercise stipulated Conte with the current squad. 

Well that makes a pointless hypothetical question even more pointless, since Conte wouldn't have worked with this squad. Willian and Luiz wouldve gone, jorginho and higuain, wouldn't have come, and we would bought different players in the last 2 windows. 

Hardly the best barometer to judge whether youth players players wouldve played more if conte stayed. 

8 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Lol okay. 

6th means we are worst of the best.

10th means we are something else entirely. Wise up

when you're paying top 3 wages and splashing massive fees then finishing 6th or 10th are both failures and disappointments.

To me it's irrelevant if it is 5 or 9 people that do better than me when I've completely failed my objective.  Maybe it means something to you.

3 hours ago, big blue said:

Well that makes a pointless hypothetical question even more pointless, since Conte wouldn't have worked with this squad. Willian and Luiz wouldve gone, jorginho and higuain, wouldn't have come, and we would bought different players in the last 2 windows. 

Hardly the best barometer to judge whether youth players players wouldve played more if conte stayed. 

Either way, it is all hypothetical.  I was just posing a question for discussion.  I don't think it's pointless to wonder whether our promising young youth players would have gotten more playing time with Conte in charge.

Conte wouldn't even play loftus cheek in his natural position. Trying him as a striker ffs. Sarri has given youth more mins in 2/3 of a season than Mourinho or Conte did, and actually plays loftus-cheek in his natural position rather than as striker or defensive mid. 

Sarri cannot make our players score. In what way will a new coach help us score goals with the current players? We aren't clinical enough. That isn't the coach's fault. 

25 minutes ago, enigma said:

Sarri cannot make our players score. In what way will a new coach help us score goals with the current players? We aren't clinical enough. That isn't the coach's fault. 

One of the reasons we aren't clinical enough is that we don't create enough chances, and the reason we don't create enough chances is that the opposition teams can read us like a book and just watch as we f**k about with sh*t tippy tappy bollox in our own half and that is down to the coach and his mythical Sarri ball tactics. Everytime I go on this thread I see 40% of people are still saying he should stay, I presume they either don't go to games and spend their hard earned money on watching this dross or are on the wind up.

Edited by chi blue

32 minutes ago, enigma said:

Conte wouldn't even play loftus cheek in his natural position. Trying him as a striker ffs. Sarri has given youth more mins in 2/3 of a season than Mourinho or Conte did, and actually plays loftus-cheek in his natural position rather than as striker or defensive mid. 

Before he got injured he could have played as a striker this season IMO, back when he was in form and scoring goals. Keep in mind that he is now 1 year older as well. Though I do think RLC is fine in his current position.

8 hours ago, big blue said:

Well that makes a pointless hypothetical question even more pointless

Congratulations. You just perfectly described sports talk, message boards and water coolers world-wide... Kind of fun, isn't it? 

5 hours ago, Skinnedy said:

Congratulations. You just perfectly described sports talk, message boards and water coolers world-wide... Kind of fun, isn't it? 

Its nearly as fun as your strict hypothetical rules, and top drawer sarcasm. 

9 hours ago, chi blue said:

One of the reasons we aren't clinical enough is that we don't create enough chances, and the reason we don't create enough chances is that the opposition teams can read us like a book and just watch as we f**k about with sh*t tippy tappy bollox in our own half and that is down to the coach and his mythical Sarri ball tactics. Everytime I go on this thread I see 40% of people are still saying he should stay, I presume they either don't go to games and spend their hard earned money on watching this dross or are on the wind up.

Sarri ball is a media term, it's not his. He just plays possession football. Our players aren't good enough for the system 

I think he should stay because there's a higher chance we do better next year with him, than with whatever idiot joins us under this transfer ban and this set of players. Our squad is good enough to compete for 4th and no higher. which it's doing. That isn't Sarris fault we have a sh*t squad. 

10 hours ago, enigma said:

5 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Sarri ball is a media term, it's not his. He just plays possession football. Our players aren't good enough for the system 

I think he should stay because there's a higher chance we do better next year with him, than with whatever idiot joins us under this transfer ban and this set of players. Our squad is good enough to compete for 4th and no higher. which it's doing. That isn't Sarris fault we have a sh*t squad. 

I'll agree that the current squad isn't as strong as what we have been used to in previous seasons. BUT Sarri still has to shoulder a fair proportion of the blame. By being so stubborn and continually picking players out of form and not trying other options. And what happened to the claims that Sarri doesn't need a huge transfer budget - he prefers to work with the players he is given and improve them? Clearly a myth.

49 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

You’re basing this on what? What so far has made you think he’s going to turn it around & we’ll be great to watch & winning games? 

Taking into account that we’re losing our best player this summer who has been our only consistent threat.