231 members have voted

1. 1. IN or OUT

• IN
    • OUT
    • Shake it all about
    • You do the Hokey Cokey

49 minutes ago, Nibs said:

How details can be distorted!!

You're kind of comparing apples to oranges there. Despite being 11 years his junior, Conte has coached at a high level for a good deal longer than Sarri, so of course he would have experienced failures, but he can also point to very decent successes. And saying Sarri hasn't failed when he has nothing of any real substance on his CV - seems he has had a pretty easy ride up to now!

It is apples and oranges. But I bet a lot of Chelsea fans would love poch. 

Success at a managerial level isn't always about trophies. Especially when you are in a league with a dominant team.

Poch struggles to win trophies because a bigger team stops him. Same with Sarri. 

Conte never had that issue 

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

Obviously Conte has a much bigger standard to uphold and much bigger expectations to fulfill - since you're saying that Conte by not winning the Champions league has failed, while Sarri that never won anything hasn't failed.

More people will look back and remember Conte in 50 years time, specially if Sarri continues to just "not fail" and not winning a single trophy.

We don't know what happens with Sarri. But if he wins the league next year with Chelsea. Then we will remember him more fondly than Conte. 

When you manage a Juventus, the standards are higher than Napoli. But the pressure isn't different. The challenge isn't different. Conte was able to walk the league, but he couldn't motivate his players in the cups. 

3 hours ago, bisright1 said:

Being lauded by many of the best managers in the world, taking an average Napoli to within whiskers of dethroning the most dominant Italian side of all time. Not that hard to work out. 

In answer to the question. Conte. No one wanted Conte anymore. Conte didn't want the job anymore. Sarri can still bring us to be a great side. Turn around isn't the right word because we aren't actually worse than we were last year. 

A manager who has won Jack sh*t, admits can't motivate a team, scared stiff of being involved in transfers, and some how takes over a club who has won more trophies in the last 15 years in the most competitive league in the world, as I said how the hell did he get the job, utter madness and board incompetence.

15 minutes ago, chi blue said:

A manager who has won Jack sh*t, admits can't motivate a team, scared stiff of being involved in transfers, and some how takes over a club who has won more trophies in the last 15 years in the most competitive league in the world, as I said how the hell did he get the job, utter madness and board incompetence.

He's only worked for 3 seasons at a club (Napoli) where he had a chance of winning anything of notoriety, and he came close.

Jose couldn't motivate the players, Conte couldn't, Sarri admits he can't either.

He's not scared of making transfers, we don't employ managers who expect to be involved too much in transfers, if they did Roman wouldn't employ them. So Sarri acts like he's got more important things to worry about than transfers, just what the club would want him to say.

35 minutes ago, chi blue said:

What a ridiculous assessment.

Stop being so blinded by your own viewpoint that you cant see rationally. Not everything is black and white. 

Sarri has disappointed this season, but we aren't in a worse position this year than Conte last. Napoli also arent in a better position with what you may argue, is a much better manager. So obviously you may think he should go, but you can't argue he's an awful second rate manager. 

It is a fact that Napoli out performed every expectation when he was their manager. That's why we hired him. 

And we might have won lots of trophies, but our team is w**k at the moment and miles behind Liverpool and Citeh. 

1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

We don't know what happens with Sarri. But if he wins the league next year with Chelsea. Then we will remember him more fondly than Conte. 

When you manage a Juventus, the standards are higher than Napoli. But the pressure isn't different. The challenge isn't different. Conte was able to walk the league, but he couldn't motivate his players in the cups. 

Conte won the Premier League in his first season, after we were 10th.

Conte took over Juventus 2011, the previous season they finished 7th in Serie A and when Conte came they won the league 3 times in a row.

The if this or if that doesn't matter at all, fact is Sarri didn't win anything yet and he's 60 years old so I won't remember him more fondly than Conte, Benitez won the Europa League let's see who remembers him fondly here? Anyone?

10 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Conte won the Premier League in his first season, after we were 10th.

Conte took over Juventus 2011, the previous season they finished 7th in Serie A and when Conte came they won the league 3 times in a row.

The if this or if that doesn't matter at all, fact is Sarri didn't win anything yet and he's 60 years old so I won't remember him more fondly than Conte, Benitez won the Europa League let's see who remembers him fondly here? Anyone?

Benitez is a twat though. 

28 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Sarri has disappointed this season, but we aren't in a worse position this year than Conte last. Napoli also arent in a better position with what you may argue, is a much better manager. So obviously you may think he should go, but you can't argue he's an awful second rate manager. 

If we finish Top 4 and / or win the Europa than I will agree but as we did still win the FA Cup last season, if we finish outside the top 4 and don't win a trophy then it will have been a bad season.

I wouldn't call Sarri an awful second rate manager but you argued earlier that Sarri has never failed and yet a good manager would not lead a team into three consecutive away fixtures and come away with three defeats with zero goals scored and 12 conceded. THAT is what a lot of people will remember the Sarri era for, unless he can still turn things around from here.  

I feel we've been in decline for 2/3 seasons.  We started well under Sarri, Conte over-achieved but in both cases teams worked us out and frustrated, to counteract it we have no plan B this season, we have lack of killer striker or don't play to striker's strengths, we have over reliance on Hazard, poor finishing, lack of confidence, leaky defence, one of our best players out of position and we've not invested in key top quality players for couple of years now, lack of belief in youngsters and no sign of Roman....   So at the moment I'm really not sure if Sarri is the answer but I do hope he's somehow able to turn it around.

18 minutes ago, coco said:

If Pep came to England a year earlier Conte wouldn't of won the premier league imo, he timed it perfectly.

I don't know why so many try to always undermine Conte, these *if* theories are weak, as if Conte planned the whole thing in years in advance...

5 hours ago, coco said:

He's only worked for 3 seasons at a club (Napoli) where he had a chance of winning anything of notoriety, and he came close.

Jose couldn't motivate the players, Conte couldn't, Sarri admits he can't either.

He's not scared of making transfers, we don't employ managers who expect to be involved too much in transfers, if they did Roman wouldn't employ them. So Sarri acts like he's got more important things to worry about than transfers, just what the club would want him to say.

Yes Sarri certainly has more important things to worry about, like playing the right players in the right positions and the right tactics and getting the right results and maybe some decent football as well, sadly he fails in every department, the bloke is an utter fraud.

Another telling sign of this disastrous appointment are ticket sales recently, thousands of tickets left for our home games against Burnley, Brighton, and Slavia Prague, West Ham at home took two weeks to sell out, our away games at Everton and Cardiff were slow to sell out, and when looking last night Liverpool away was still on sale, the match going public are voting with their feet, now I will be in Cardiff on Sunday, but don't expect anything apart from the usual dull football, same old team and same old substitutions, but hey it's Chelsea so I will be supporting as ever. UTC

1 hour ago, chi blue said:

Yes Sarri certainly has more important things to worry about, like playing the right players in the right positions and the right tactics and getting the right results and maybe some decent football as well, sadly he fails in every department, the bloke is an utter fraud.

Another telling sign of this disastrous appointment are ticket sales recently, thousands of tickets left for our home games against Burnley, Brighton, and Slavia Prague, West Ham at home took two weeks to sell out, our away games at Everton and Cardiff were slow to sell out, and when looking last night Liverpool away was still on sale, the match going public are voting with their feet, now I will be in Cardiff on Sunday, but don't expect anything apart from the usual dull football, same old team and same old substitutions, but hey it's Chelsea so I will be supporting as ever. UTC

Think it wasn't difficult to buy tickets at this stage in the league last year either 

Also Sarri plays everyone in their right positions. What are you getting at? 

1 hour ago, chi blue said:

It's just not reasonable to call him an "utter fraud". He's far from being beyond reproach, and we don't have to like him. But this is a guy who gave up a stable career to follow his passion, he took a risk, then dedicated everything to it, putting in a huge amount of work to get from managing lowly teams in lower leagues to managing a Napoli that punched massively above its weight. Do you know what it means to achieve that? What part of that was fraudulent in your view? It's not easy going to a foreign country, foreign league, having no pre-season, managing a team of players like ours. Things may yet not work out for him at Chelsea. He may not be the right man for the job. But cut him some slack. He's forgotten more about football and tactics than all of us on here combined will ever know. 

On 28/03/2019 at 07:43, chi blue said:

Personally Conte pissed me off with his sulking and acting like a teenage girl behaviour, but no one could question his managerial ability for winning things,

That's what makes it worse.

He knew he was leaving, why didn't he focus on leaving us in as strong a position as possible? He showed in the cup run and to an extent against Barcelona that he could still get performances out of the team but in the league his careless attitude not only cost us a CL place but allowed the team who got it at our expense to use their CL money to stengthen to the point they became title contenders.

On 26/03/2019 at 13:45, bisright1 said:

I think some fans forget how bad we were last year performance wise. At least I feel we are a work in progress now rather than a shell of a club playing with their backs to the wall. 

It happens all the time, when we hit a bad run all of a sudden the last bad run wasn't as bad, if we have a new manager next season who does badly people will be champaigning this season, especially if we go back to backs to the wall football.

Even 15/16 gets a favorable comparison at times when we have a poor run.

Edited by Argo

4 hours ago, Argo said:

It happens all the time, when we hit a bad run all of a sudden the last bad run wasn't as bad, if we have a new manager next season who does badly people will be champaigning this season, especially if we go back to backs to the wall football.

Even 15/16 gets a favorable comparison at times when we have a poor run.

Every Chelsea fan knows the clubs best seasons, silverware dictates this in the history books. But when it comes to which seasons were the worst, you get very different answers.

The Benitez season goes down in history as a successful season............ but plenty of fans would put it down the bottom of the list.

The disastrous AVB season, what a joke we were that season........... Goes down as the clubs highest point in our history.

83/84, we were not even in the top league, but it's one of my fav seasons. I waited 17 years to see Chelsea lift a trophy.

So so toxic for everyone involved to have a manager that a lot of fans dont like or want him out, pressure will only continue to build especially if he doesn't start giving some of the younger players more game time particularly CHO and Christensen. 

Really dont understand his logic of persisting with underperforming sometimes average at best players, maybe this is just his level a very average at best manager.

8 hours ago, Argo said:

That's what makes it worse.

He knew he was leaving, why didn't he focus on leaving us in as strong a position as possible? He showed in the cup run and to an extent against Barcelona that he could still get performances out of the team but in the league his careless attitude not only cost us a CL place but allowed the team who got it at our expense to use their CL money to stengthen to the point they became title contenders.

I think the relationship broke after the City game(after the first leg against Barca), he and the players were never on the same page after that.

As for sulking Jose showed his frustration by getting angry at the players, Conte was just not shy about calling out the Board who are more to blame than anyone IMO

if u keep missing CL 2 out of three seasons after changing the managers, the problem runs deeper than you think 

2 hours ago, theone said:

I think the relationship broke after the City game(after the first leg against Barca), he and the players were never on the same page after that.

As for sulking Jose showed his frustration by getting angry at the players, Conte was just not shy about calling out the Board who are more to blame than anyone IMO

if u keep missing CL 2 out of three seasons after changing the managers, the problem runs deeper than you think 

Yet in both seasons we lost to several teams we would normally expect to defeat.

3 hours ago, theone said:

Conte being not shy about calling out the board showed that he wanted the club to wake up, it was a risky thing to do and it cost him his job but to openly fight with the board and to make the club look bad at more than one occasion showed that he really is a winner and that he couldn't change his way.

Sarri is the total opposite, he will never say any bad word about the board, but then again he isn't a winner yet, maybe if we win Europa league we will see more.

2 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Conte being not shy about calling out the board showed that he wanted the club to wake up, it was a risky thing to do and it cost him his job but to openly fight with the board and to make the club look bad at more than one occasion showed that he really is a winner and that he couldn't change his way.

He could have done that and still got on with his job to the best of his ability. I'm sure Pochettino didn't plan to go through the season with no signings and another season at Wembley yet he didn't act like a schoolchild over it.

If he walked away after getting the absolute best of out of what he had then fair enough, but he let it get to the point he basically threw our league campaign to make a point.