Sign in to follow this  
Old Shaggy

Who's to blame?

Who is at fault for the current state of affairs? Is it a combination of people? Or is someone solely responsible?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who's to blame?

• Roman Abramovich
    • The Board
    • Sarri
    • The players
    • Other (Please specify)

For me it's a collective,

The board for picking Sari, Sari for not recognising the players he needed or league strength in be able to break his style, not starting talented younger players and the players for probably not executing their game instructions adequately.

What might just get RA to move on is the feeling he is fighting against a stacked deck, if he buys the players like Pep did he will be accused of buying the title and if doesn't and sticks to FPP we will probably slip to mid-table. 

With hindsight I kind of think with Conte and Sarri we were buying two perfectionists in football systems that we expected could mold teams to be contenders for the title with little player investment.  If so we are seeing a failed strategy.

13 minutes ago, Valerie said:

The twerp goes on and on. And on. I don't even read it any more. That makes him a lucky man in view of the despicably sexist, misogynistic remark you picked out for BQ, Moi and me!

It’s Brakeit, will be banned again soon. 

Players. Time for a clear out, people like Willian and Alonso need to move on, and I've reached a point where selling Hazard wouldn't seem like the end of the world either.

10 minutes ago, Kentonio said:

Players. Time for a clear out, people like Willian and Alonso need to move on, and I've reached a point where selling Hazard wouldn't seem like the end of the world either.

I agree but Sarri shouldn’t be the one to oversee it.
He’s had the opportunity to replace for example Willian with Hudson Odoi and give Emerson a run in the team on Alonso’s expense, but he’s failed to do both.
Not to mention that he’s done nothing at all about the Jorginho-problem and Kante being in the wrong spot.

The squad is lacking, and certain players needs to be moved on but let’s not pretend Sarri is getting the best out of the squad we do have.

1 minute ago, Sindre said:

I agree but Sarri shouldn’t be the one to oversee it.
He’s had the opportunity to replace for example Willian with Hudson Odoi and give Emerson a run in the team on Alonso’s expense, but he’s failed to do both.
Not to mention that he’s done nothing at all about the Jorginho-problem and Kante being in the wrong spot.

The squad is lacking, and certain players needs to be moved on but let’s not pretend Sarri is getting the best out of the squad we do have.

I don't understand why we haven't seen Emerson get more minutes, but CHO is an 18 year old kid. If it wasn't for Bayern coming knocking, I seriously doubt everyone would be insisting he's a bang on starter.

As for Jorginho, he isn't a problem for me at all. He's a great player who is there to set up moves for the team. If the team aren't making the right runs and getting into the right positions, then he can't do sh*t. That's on the team, not him.

Re Kante, I'm tired of this insistence that he's in the wrong spot. He's having an excellent season as he learns that new role, and this idea that the only place he can play is as the furthest back CM is baffling. We're trying to transition into attacking football, yet we should immediately change back to being defensive?

4 hours ago, dustbin719 said:

Everyone is responsible for the mess we're in, but no one is willing to step up and shoulder the blame. 

If you were Roman, what organizational changes would you make to fix the situation?

giphy.gif

Jose Mourinho: "My work has been betrayed."

Antonio Conte: "This is the level of this group." 

Maurizio Sarri: "This group cannot be motivated."

See a pattern? Come on. Sarri has flaws and he's stubborn but these players choose when to show up. Then the board protects them.

Of course it's a collective issue but the problem stems from having no direction that for me sits at the feet of Marina and by proxy Roman who is authorising her decisions.

Great article by Miguel Delaney that has been posted elsewhere talking about how City set Pep up for success. They recruited everything he needed before he was even available. We've done nothing like that for Sarri. If we want to play pass and press football then plenty needs to be adjusted. 

15 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Is that particularly unusual though?

You wouldn’t necessarily expect to have dialogue with owner, that’s what the likes of Maria G are for.

Seems a bit weird to me. I'd expect at least a hello from my employer at some point.

13 hours ago, Slojo said:

I think it's mostly the board though, when we brought in AVB we did something similar, we didn't even bring in any of the players to suit his style of football. 

We literally had to play a high line with players like John Terry and Alex for crying out loud, then who did we have in midfield? A 34 year old Lampard along with John Obi Mikel, Raul Meireles and Ramires who was our only player with legs in it, and we had no pace on the wings whatsoever, we had to play Daniel Sturridge out wide because we had Soloman Kalou and a 33 year old Malouda as our only options on the wings. The board are more stupid and naive with these decisions, how on earth did we go into the season with Pedro and Willian over 30 and Hazard with two years left on his contract, likely to leave. 

Even Hazard for all his greatness isn't suited to the way Sarri wants to play, so what was the point of bringing Sarri in? It's like the board do no research at all on the managers that they employ. What was Sarri supposed to do with that frontline? You've brought in Jorginho, well done! Who else? We've brought you here to play fast-paced football with high pressure and intensity and btw here are two ageing wingers... It's like some sort of sick joke, but of course it's mostly Sarri's fault according to so many people. 

I actually think the board have done quite well since Sarri came in. They're bought him Jorginho and beat City to his signature, signed an aging striker at the managers wish and spent £72m on a goalkeeper to suit his style. That's 3 starting 11 players being changed from the get go. We can't really expect an entire new starting 11 in one or two windows. See how they act in summer and then judge them imo.

6 hours ago, JM7 said:

Jose Mourinho: "My work has been betrayed."

Antonio Conte: "This is the level of this group." 

Maurizio Sarri: "This group cannot be motivated."

See a pattern? Come on. Sarri has flaws and he's stubborn but these players choose when to show up. Then the board protects them.

You could go back even further and find more managers with these sentiments, I'm certain Scolari and AVB felt the same even if many people didn't like their appointments to begin with, however, that's often in hindsight, they were both the real deal before they came to this club. 

The only one I would argue in the last 10 years who wasn't really let down and wasn't an interim was Ancelotti. 

The board for me. Not spending enough, bad signings, never known a club to ruin a summer transfer window after winning the league but our board did it twice. Then because of that everything feels flat ( Look at Conte body language) the fans feel it too and going into a new season it just feels negative especially last season under Conte.

Recent performances have been bad and because Utd have caught us up from 11 points behind it feels and looks worse. However i think we are where we should be, maybe not 6th but only a point from 4th isn't the end of the world. Before the season that was our aim to get back into the top four, and we are right in the mix to do so. Utd still have to play Arsenal. Still in all the cups and a league cup final still too look forward too, its not all doom and gloom.

And i forgot to add, we need a director of football. Still not sure why we haven't replaced Emenalo?.

Edited by jack_super_class

I voted other as the blame is shared by everyone at Chelsea: from Roman down to the players. Roman has created the atmosphere that is prevalent now. There is nothing wrong with high standards but we had the backbone in the squad that could withstand the turnover of the coach year after year because John, Frank, and Didier wouldn't allow the squad to drop their production on the field. The current players can't be freaking arsed to fight for the club is absolutely disgraceful and their weak mentality is absolutely obvious and has been for a few years now. Even with Terry in the squad it was obvious that it was happening. The boards lack of direction and inability to allow young players into the squad unless we spend millions of pounds on them is ridiculous. I know this can be put on the manager, but it seems to be a club issue as manager after manager refuses to play talented youngsters. And Sarri's inability to see or change clear issues within the squad is so frustrating. I get that we want to play a certain way, but when Alonso continuously makes these mental mistakes, shows a lack of caring or hustle BENCH HIM. Stop playing the players that don't show fight and desire. 

Just my 2 cents

The board , the board and only the board. The players and Manager share their problems but the main issue is the Board.

When they knew that it was Sarri they wanted, they should have just bought him out than waste time and miss out on our off season. Our board signs players for big money but they are not big players. The likes of Drinkwater, Michy, Zappacosta - they are simply not Chelsea quality and to sign them for huge sums of money is silly. Also, unlike United who have the likes of Matrial, Rashord and Lukaku who can be used by any manager as they are in general great attacking players, our additions like Jorginho and Alonso seem to be shoe horned only for certain formations. For me, even if we outspend City to buy the entire Napoli team that was under Sarri - I dont see his system succeeding here due to his predictability and rigid nature. Also, currently we dont have the necessary players who can make us a better team under Sarri or any other manager. It is just the state of the squad. So who is responsible for players and the manager ? The board ! (While Roman may be responsible for the board - people in that level usually dont oversee the board that closely unless this was their only job. )

The fans. And yes that includes me if I’m brutally honest with myself.  Ok it’s not THE problem, but if the problem is multi-faceted, it is one of the facets. The fans and their attitude are an integral component of a football club, and their atttactiveness and goodwill is of utmost importance to current and prospective players and owners. The negativity of many fans these days is toxic. It doesn’t help anyone or anything. It’s also self-fulfilling and contributes to the poor results and the instability. Many of us are guilty of the same spinelessness we accuse the players and board of, the same petulant short-termism that’s all too rife in the game and the world these days. Calling for a manager to be sacked without giving him at least one effin season. Saying things like “we deserve x” or “x isn’t good enough for Chelsea”. What does that mean? Calling Sarri a “fraud” when this is clearly a guy with a great mind and immense heart, who risked everything and worked incredibly hard to get where he is today. I wouldn’t achieve what he has in 10 lifetimes. 

No. The question should be whether x (sarri, let’s say) is good enough for ME. I can speak for myself. I wouldn’t include myself among the moaners. But I used to be a much better fan, went to loads more games (though in my defence geography and affordability make it almost impossible) and was a lot more vocal when I did go. I can’t say I deserve any better. Instead I should be grateful and feel lucky to support still one of the best football teams in the country. Because that luck may run out.

I’ve gone for a mixture of Board and players. When you have a club that players can down tools when they feel like it.  Talk behind the managers back to people above and these people facilitate this unusual relationship. No manager In the near future is going to have a prayer at our club.

This year and last it was a combination of a lot of different factors.

2015 however, or at least the severity of it, was on the manager.

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 06:59, Munkworth said:

I blame Kenyon. 

Dammit, beat me to it.... :P

On 12/02/2019 at 17:03, brownindian said:

The board , the board and only the board. The players and Manager share their problems but the main issue is the Board.

When they knew that it was Sarri they wanted, they should have just bought him out than waste time and miss out on our off season. Our board signs players for big money but they are not big players. The likes of Drinkwater, Michy, Zappacosta - they are simply not Chelsea quality and to sign them for huge sums of money is silly. Also, unlike United who have the likes of Matrial, Rashord and Lukaku who can be used by any manager as they are in general great attacking players, our additions like Jorginho and Alonso seem to be shoe horned only for certain formations. For me, even if we outspend City to buy the entire Napoli team that was under Sarri - I dont see his system succeeding here due to his predictability and rigid nature. Also, currently we dont have the necessary players who can make us a better team under Sarri or any other manager. It is just the state of the squad. So who is responsible for players and the manager ? The board ! (While Roman may be responsible for the board - people in that level usually dont oversee the board that closely unless this was their only job. )

I think it’s too easy to pin everything on the board. They were appointed by Roman, report to Roman, and presumably carry out his wishes otherwise they’d be down the road.

Ive no idea how hands on he is, but would wager that he has final say on tranfers in and out. It’s also likely he has his own paid football consultants, not on the payroll at Chelsea that advise him.

I think we are at the point now where we are at risk of all of the work being undone. Roman Abramovich helped turn us into a serious force in Europe, but it's become clear in the last few years that we are going to fade away if the club carries on like this.

We have severely weakened the club, from coach's, to players, to board members, it's all gone down hill in recent years. The club needs to get it's act together. What do we want to be? a team challenging the top clubs in Europe or another Arsenal? The club has no clear direction or identity anymore, I have no idea what the club even see's as progression anymore.