Sign in to follow this  
Old Shaggy

Emma Hayes

6 hours ago, Kentonio said:

Have you guys actually watched any women's football recently? I hadn't for years (and it was terrible back then), but then I saw the Champion's League semi between Lyon and City live last year, and frankly I was extremely surprised by how much better it is now than it used to be. It's not PL level yet, but I'd have put it at around Championship level. Crowds were huge, even the local men's ultras had turned up to lend their support, and there was a great vibe with a crowd full of kids wearing their favourite players shirts and screaming their heads off. It made me change my mind about women's football very quickly.

Have you actually watched Championship football recently? women's football is nowhere near Championship level. The very best women's teams would struggle against men's non-league teams. The strength and pace of the womens game is one of the major reasons why it can't reach the same level as the mens game.

Edited by Scott Harris

Reading some of the posts here, women will never reach a managerial position in the Premier League, because they haven't the experience on that level. Well, that's quite some circular reasoning! Makes you wonder how some men ever got there and even manage to stay there :wink:

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

Have you actually watched Championship football recently? women's football is nowhere near Championship level. The very best women's teams would struggle against men's non-league teams. The strength and pace of the womens game is one of the major reasons why it can't reach the same level as the mens game.

That only suggests something about the level of the players, not of the managers.

27 minutes ago, Valerie said:

Makes you wonder how some men ever got there and even manage to stay there :wink:

That’s how the like of Hughes, Pulis, Allerdyce etc. keep getting employed, they’re the only ones with experience :wink:

19 hours ago, bluedave said:

That is so untrue...

Nope plenty of studies prove What i said. 

20 hours ago, Kentonio said:

Have you guys actually watched any women's football recently? I hadn't for years (and it was terrible back then), but then I saw the Champion's League semi between Lyon and City live last year, and frankly I was extremely surprised by how much better it is now than it used to be. It's not PL level yet, but I'd have put it at around Championship level. Crowds were huge, even the local men's ultras had turned up to lend their support, and there was a great vibe with a crowd full of kids wearing their favourite players shirts and screaming their heads off. It made me change my mind about women's football very quickly.

I haven't watched a lot of the top level women football but i've had my share of experience with the female football on mid to lower domestic levels. 

I remember in my country when i was playing football in the youth ranks and there was this big push to make football more attractive to girls so they decided to allow all girl teams to join boy leagues.

They quickly stepped off that idea though when those girl teams were getting obliterated by the boys teams.

Up until pubertity an all boys team and an all girls team can be competitive with eachother however the moment  puberty hits there's just no comparison anymore.

The boys develop their physical abilities much quicker then girls do. They simply become much stronger and faster then girls.

Men have a substantial advantage when it comes to developing physical attributes: taller, stronger, faster. You can be as tactically smart and as technically skilled as you want if you're opponent is considerably stronger and faster then you then you're simply not gonna have a good time. 

That translates to men being able to play the game at a higher intensity and a higher level then  women can. That's my biggest problem with female football. The intensity isn't there. 

12 hours ago, Valerie said:

Reading some of the posts here, women will never reach a managerial position in the Premier League, because they haven't the experience on that level. Well, that's quite some circular reasoning! Makes you wonder how some men ever got there and even manage to stay there :wink:

I already said what i believe a women should do to reach a managerial position in the PL.

"If a female wants to coach a top male team she should become a manager, assistant or coach at a male lower league club and work her way up. "

It's not circular reasoning. It's simple and logical reasoning. Work your way up to the ladder from lower league to PL top flight football. 

Top female football isn't equal to top male football. The gap is substantial. 

Top female football is more comparable to lower league male football. So Emma Hayes only experience has been in the top female league therefore her experience is rated as a lower league male manager's experience.

12 hours ago, Valerie said:

That only suggests something about the level of the players, not of the managers.

Are you really suggesting that there isn't a correlation between the level of players a manager manages, plays against and the level a manager has proven him or her to be at ?

11 hours ago, Munkworth said:

That’s how the like of Hughes, Pulis, Allerdyce etc. keep getting employed, they’re the only ones with experience :wink:

You do realize Pulis and Allerdyce had to work their way up lower league teams before they ended up in the PL right ? 

Adn Mark  Hughes had a succesfull career as a football player prior to his managerial career.

He used those conncetions to get into A PL job. 

Edited by Hazard10

40 minutes ago, Hazard10 said:

I haven't watched a lot of the top level women football 

Top female football isn't equal to top male football. The gap is substantial. 

Top female football is more comparable to lower league male football. 

Hmm.... 

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Hmm.... 

I haven't watched a lot of the top level women football ( compared to the amount of male football i've watched in my life.)

I have watched female football but like i said the intensity is lacking. I just don't find female football as enjoyable to watch so i'm not watching it every week.

Edited by Hazard10

3 hours ago, Hazard10 said:

You do realize Pulis and Allerdyce had to work their way up lower league teams before they ended up in the PL right ? 

Adn Mark  Hughes had a succesfull career as a football player prior to his managerial career.

He used those conncetions to get into A PL job. 

Yes are they’re still all sh*t managers who keep getting jobs despite being sh*t, which was my whole point. 

1 hour ago, Ewell CFC said:

Think she might be a trifle daunted leading a team out to 42,000 fans as opposed to the 1000 odd we get at Kingstonian.

Woman may not have balls, but many have courage.

I don't think there will be a woman coaching a men's team at the elite level of football for a long time.

I think the simple fact is, a lot of men deep down would begrudgingly take orders from a female coach in football.

I mean it's still taking forever for a an ethnic minority male to coach at the top level and succeed, let alone a woman.

Edited by enigma

6 minutes ago, enigma said:

I mean it's still taking forever for a an ethnic minority male to coach at the top level and succeed, let alone a woman.

Gender equality and minority under-representation are different entities.

1 hour ago, Munkworth said:

Yes are they’re still all sh*t managers who keep getting jobs despite being sh*t, which was my whole point. 

Not so sure they are sh*t managers it’s just that those employing them know what they are getting. In other words from them it’s very much the tried and tested albeit with less resources and less expectation.For me RA has been looking for something different going back as far as AVB I can’t but help feel that had he not been so reckless then for him things may have panned out far better 

I am quite excited about the prospect of having a management team who are comfortable with the club, comfortable with their players but above all comfortable with themselves.

If rumours are right re Cech and indeed Lampard and Morris then here we would have a team off the field who will be in a far better place with the owner and indeed the supporters.A team that knows the structure from academy to first team and a team that knows how to win.

1 hour ago, enigma said:

I don't think there will be a woman coaching a men's team at the elite level of football for a long time.

I think the simple fact is, a lot of men deep down would begrudgingly take orders from a female coach in football.

You may be right but she has deserved a shot at coaching one of the male teams and if that isn’t to be at first team level then maybe taking charge of one of the upper age groups in the academy would be fair reward at this time and may well speed up  the day when a woman is able to manage at the elite level

2 hours ago, enigma said:

If they're good enough, they'd be at the top succeeding. There's nearly no racial bias when it comes to hiring managers in English leagues, i guarantee it. 

2 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

If they're good enough, they'd be at the top succeeding. There's nearly no racial bias when it comes to hiring managers in English leagues, i guarantee it. 

How on earth can you guarantee that?  I wish you are right (although even nearly no bias is unacceptable), but I fear there is still a lot of hidden (and open) racism out there, not just in footbal btw. Anecdote: I read a story somewhere that a black big shot CEO was stopped by a new doorman from entering his own office building and directed to a side entrance for deliveries. 

I'm not completely convinced when given a choice between equally suitable candidates of different colour, white members of a selection committee will appoint a non-white, finding a reason why the white guy (and it's always a guy) is juuuuuust the better candidate.

On the gender issue the same happens: many go into a cramp thinking up reasons why a woman can't manage a male top team, pretending these are rational and objective explanations. My comfort is that the so-called reasonable objections were used against women becoming doctors, pilots, architects, etcetera etcetera... Look how that worked out :biggrin:

3 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

There's bias everywhere. 

There's bias against Sarri because he doesn't dress nice and because he's fat. If he looked like Conte or Jose, I imagine there might be less stick from the fans, or Roman might have more faith in him. 

There's bias against English managers by the top 6. We like the idea of a continental man who has new ideas. Rather than an English manager who has proven themselves. Why was Arteta so close to getting the Arsenal job, but Eddie Howe didn't get a look in? 

I would be shocked if all of the dinosaurs who run league 1 and league 2 clubs aren't racist. A few of them will not hire a black manager, I have no doubt. Whilst a few will unconciously value a white applicant higher - without realising they are doing it. One form of bias that is proven to exist is that many white men will hire a white man on potential, but only hire a black person or a woman on achievement. 

1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

There's bias everywhere. 

There's bias against Sarri because he doesn't dress nice and because he's fat. If he looked like Conte or Jose, I imagine there might be less stick from the fans, or Roman might have more faith in him. 

There's bias against English managers by the top 6. We like the idea of a continental man who has new ideas. Rather than an English manager who has proven themselves. Why was Arteta so close to getting the Arsenal job, but Eddie Howe didn't get a look in? 

I would be shocked if all of the dinosaurs who run league 1 and league 2 clubs aren't racist. A few of them will not hire a black manager, I have no doubt. Whilst a few will unconciously value a white applicant higher - without realising they are doing it. One form of bias that is proven to exist is that many white men will hire a white man on potential, but only hire a black person or a woman on achievement. 

Spot on. Not sure about the anti-English bias, though. Has this been researched, if not in football perhaps in a broader sense, like recruitment for British companies? Supposedly more sexy to hire a foreigner?

I think women in football are overall just a victim of stupidity from men in society in general, people just want us to ‘know our place’ and just be ‘feminine’ and not compete with men or stand out because that’s ‘masculine’. People think this is still 50 years ago where women just stayed at home and look after kids while men worked. Going by that I’m ‘feminine’ as in when I get home I care for my 2 kids etc, but as I coach football for youth I’m being competitive and also standing out so this is seen as ‘masculine’ It’s just human qualities for both and should be normalised. 

I can agree women’s players aren’t at a great level, but that’s down to physicality mostly. Some male players wouldn’t look out of place there, like our very own Torres and Morata aren’t the embodiment of masculine! But it’s different for managers. If you’ve seen Emma Hayes interviews she has as much knowledge as the game as a man. Tactically I think no problem she could be a Premier League manager, but outside factors is stopping her. Can you imagine the amount of media attention it’d get if she became our manager, just because she doesn’t have a penis?! 

4 hours ago, Valerie said:

On the gender issue the same happens: many go into a cramp thinking up reasons why a woman can't manage a male top team, pretending these are rational and objective explanations. My comfort is that the so-called reasonable objections were used against women becoming doctors, pilots, architects, etcetera etcetera... Look how that worked out :biggrin:

That will never work…. it's not called a Cockpit for nothing

Edited by fishCFC

She's nowhere near qualified for a Championship job, never mind Chelsea.

Let her cut her teeth and make her way up naturally.

A woman manager of a PL side is bound to happen some day, but it shouldn't be forced.

BBC Diversity and Inclusion Dept have finally taken on a White Man, the first in 10 years...  how diverse and inclusive.

Being the BBC, I'm sure he's encouraged to rush home and breast-feed his kids.