coco

Chelsea get Top FOUR

2 minutes ago, Bonzodog29 said:

OK but maybe you should have a more negative outlook on things... its all well and good being sunshine, rainbows and unicorns all the time, but what about when things arent going so well... 

FFS

Not really negative...….just playing out the scenario if we get into the CL.

3 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

Not really negative...….just playing out the scenario if we get into the CL.

If we get in via the Europa League, then we are in pot one and we should be good enough to get out the group from that position. 

If we aren't, then we go into the Europa League. So it's either champions League nights back at the bridge or Europa League from the start. I would much prefer CL. Even with hazard going we are strong enough to come top 2....

....especially if sarri stays. 

1 minute ago, coco said:

Firstly it's worth probably £50m+ in extra revenue for the club if we make the CL, added to the Hazard money, we will have a nice booty for new players when the ban is over.

And if the ban is delayed and were able to buy players this summer, then reaching the CL means we can attract better players in theory.

OK, the money is obvious......but attracting better players?  If we are in for a player that is also wanted by Liverpool, City, or Spurs, where would that player prefer to go?  Those players may want to play in the CL, but they'll also want to be surrounded by good players, and play for a great manager.  When Hazard leaves, what players left are good enough to attract other players?  What player will want to play for Sarri over MoPo, Klopp, or Pep?  All three of those teams have better players to play with.  

We are not what we have been in previous years...…..

6 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

OK, the money is obvious......but attracting better players?  If we are in for a player that is also wanted by Liverpool, City, or Spurs, where would that player prefer to go?  Those players may want to play in the CL, but they'll also want to be surrounded by good players, and play for a great manager.  When Hazard leaves, what players left are good enough to attract other players?  What player will want to play for Sarri over MoPo, Klopp, or Pep?  All three of those teams have better players to play with.  

But those teams above us wouldn't necessarily be looking for the same players we are. Which of the top 3 need a new striker ? None of them, so if we go for a top class striker, we don't have to worry about the top 3, and arse and manu wont be able to offer CL football hopefully, suddenly we look like a better club to join for an aspiring player.

2 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

Jesus wept, and you arent being negative eh... In all honesty even when Liverpool were sh*te they could attract names based on their "istory" City since the money arrived have had a similar appeal to us for a number of years old whats his face the brazilian flop being a prime example when his agent sent him to city rather than us... 

We are still one of the biggest clubs out there and winning the EL will turn players heads remember in all these comps there can only be 1 or 2 winning teams in every country, 

And despite your reservations (and mine at times) Sarri is still a respected manager for what he did prior to coming to us so he does still have appeal to players particularly in Italy 

I always think aim as high as you can, of course we could be badly burned in the CL if the transfer ban comes into effect yet there is also the possibility that the remnant of the side plus younger players step up.

To not try is defeatist for me.

We have a great reputation, we have a great squad and we pay well. We should be competeing in the highest level end of. We need to aim high all the time. Prem is very tough so everyone needs a great system and a side squad. Our squad needs to be wider and we need some stability to our management. DOF I think we need to hire ASAP. We need a clear direction so will be able to make right choices in our managerial merrygoround and dealing players. 

36 minutes ago, coco said:

But those teams above us wouldn't necessarily be looking for the same players we are. Which of the top 3 need a new striker ? None of them, so if we go for a top class striker, we don't have to worry about the top 3, and arse and manu wont be able to offer CL football hopefully, suddenly we look like a better club to join for an aspiring player.

So we'll be competing for players with Everton, Leicester, Wolves, Watford?  Utd are like Liverpool in that the history and tradition are an attraction.  

Striker is not our only position of need, and for any credible striker, you will compete with every top club in Europe for him, and you will pay huge money.  And, realistically, the last credible striker we recruited was Drogba. I don't Costa since he wanted to leave practically since they day he got here.  

39 minutes ago, Bonzodog29 said:

Jesus wept, and you arent being negative eh... In all honesty even when Liverpool were sh*te they could attract names based on their "istory" City since the money arrived have had a similar appeal to us for a number of years old whats his face the brazilian flop being a prime example when his agent sent him to city rather than us... 

We are still one of the biggest clubs out there and winning the EL will turn players heads remember in all these comps there can only be 1 or 2 winning teams in every country, 

And despite your reservations (and mine at times) Sarri is still a respected manager for what he did prior to coming to us so he does still have appeal to players particularly in Italy 

I'm sorry, but what player will want to play for a manager whose own supporters chant "T-You don't know what you're doing" and "F**k Sarriball"?  He's more known now for his lineup inflexibility and questionable substitutions that for what he did at Napoli.

34 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

I always think aim as high as you can, of course we could be badly burned in the CL if the transfer ban comes into effect yet there is also the possibility that the remnant of the side plus younger players step up.

To not try is defeatist for me.

We should try, I agree.  But expectations should be tempered.  We haven't exactly seized the opportunity to finish in the Top 4.  No, Arsenal and Utd haven't either.  I get that.  But we have played following their mis-steps, and we still couldn't grab the opportunity.

13 minutes ago, evissy said:

We have a great reputation, we have a great squad and we pay well. We should be competeing in the highest level end of. We need to aim high all the time. Prem is very tough so everyone needs a great system and a side squad. Our squad needs to be wider and we need some stability to our management. DOF I think we need to hire ASAP. We need a clear direction so will be able to make right choices in our managerial merrygoround and dealing players. 

Would have to contest that. IF we lose Hazard, our squad will be the weakest it's been for as long as I can remember. Even with Hazard, everyone knows we are so reliant on him due to the lack of quality throughout the team / squad.

14 minutes ago, evissy said:

This is the first step.  But 17 months since Emenalo left, and still no replacement...………...

United should win their next 2 games, very easy games left. 

As for us we have two top 10 sides left to play, no pushovers. Realistically we should be beating them anyway but... IF you look at our record against the top 10 this season should we? Just two PL games Chelsea and it's in the bag, don't let yourselves down. 

16 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

This is the first step.  But 17 months since Emenalo left, and still no replacement...………...

Think the lady upstairs assumes she knows everything about that position.

27 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

I'm sorry, but what player will want to play for a manager whose own supporters chant "T-You don't know what you're doing" and "F**k Sarriball"?  He's more known now for his lineup inflexibility and questionable substitutions that for what he did at Napoli.

Lol. This is so wide of the mark. 

Players want to play at the top level and win things. Chelsea are still that club. Especially if we win the Europa League. 

Madrid fans hate their players and manager more than any other club has that ever stopped anyone joining. Though I agree with you, our fans should stop singing f**k Sarri ball. It isn't helping anyone and makes us look pathetic. 

Also, players would be hesitant joining Liverpool over us because they don't know if they would start. They'd be hesitant joining Tottenham because we'd pay 50% more. Obviously they'd all go to citeh before us, but they are a better club from top to bottom. Even if they were on the bench they'd go to city. 

1 hour ago, Boston Blue said:

So we'll be competing for players with Everton, Leicester, Wolves, Watford?  Utd are like Liverpool in that the history and tradition are an attraction.  

Striker is not our only position of need, and for any credible striker, you will compete with every top club in Europe for him, and you will pay huge money.  And, realistically, the last credible striker we recruited was Drogba. I don't Costa since he wanted to leave practically since they day he got here.  

I cant believe i have to keep coming back to this thread to argue that it's better that we qualify for the Champions League, we don't need a poll, but i'll render a guess 99% of our fans want CL football next season, were totally pissed off with sunday/monday league games, it's like being in a different league to everyone else.

E2a: I understand you're living in the States so maybe i should cut you a break as you probably don't understand how much we hate not playing on a saturday over here.

I think looking to attract established names is somewhat overrated, signing players who have the hunger, potential and the correct mindset to succeed is far more important. This is where we have been failing so greatly, majority of foreign players who have done incredibly well in the Premier League have not really come in as established stars but have developed within a team. The likes of Henry, Drogba, Suarez etc. at the time of signing for each club none of them were the finished article and therefore the DOF position is far more important than any established player we may be able to sign.

There does seem to be this fear around how we are going to replace Hazard but I think the loss of Hazard needs to be spread across the front 3, if we can get an upgrade in the strikers position (Not hard to upgrade on our current top 2) and we have Pulisic coming in and with Hudson-Odoi we potentially have a more potent front 3 than one which is completely reliant on Hazard.

40 minutes ago, Slojo said:

United should win their next 2 games, very easy games left. 

As for us we have two top 10 sides left to play, no pushovers. Realistically we should be beating them anyway but... IF you look at our record against the top 10 this season should we? Just two PL games Chelsea and it's in the bag, don't let yourselves down. 

Forget utd, they have to gain 6 pts AND an 8 goal difference. We just need to put Watford to bed by the same scoreline that Arsenal beat Brighton by (if), and then match the score in their away to Burnley in our game away to Leciester. We better make sure we have some good comms between the bench and players in the last game, we may need to know the score at Burnley so we can adjust our tactics through the game at Leicester.

Way I see it is the club needs 3 points from the next 2 games to make top 4, that's based upon the gooners not beating Burnley & Man U winning both of their games. 

4th) CFC (W,L) & 5th) Man U on 71 (W,W) points we beat them by GD. 6th ) Arse on 70 pts (W, D)

All that is needed is 1 easy peasy home win against a team placed lower in the league- is that too much to ask Mr Sarri ?

1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

Lol. This is so wide of the mark. 

Players want to play at the top level and win things. Chelsea are still that club. Especially if we win the Europa League. 

Madrid fans hate their players and manager more than any other club has that ever stopped anyone joining. Though I agree with you, our fans should stop singing f**k Sarri ball. It isn't helping anyone and makes us look pathetic. 

Also, players would be hesitant joining Liverpool over us because they don't know if they would start. They'd be hesitant joining Tottenham because we'd pay 50% more. Obviously they'd all go to citeh before us, but they are a better club from top to bottom. Even if they were on the bench they'd go to city. 

The whole "sarriball" term is odd and I don't know where it's come from. Sarri has never even named the style. They called it "Sarrismo" in Italy as far as I'm aware, but not "Sarriball" so dunno where that name came from. 

I guess all of us want CL football next season but how do we think we would do in that competition? It's been years since we've been competitive there. Assuming we are going to develop a fresh new team I reckon we are a few years away from being contenders. Love to be proved wrong of course.

Posted (edited)

Looking at the table, Watford and Leicester got pretty much nothing to play for. I don't think they can get Europa League football. They will be going into the games against us with little to play for apart from pride. We on the other hand will have securing top four to play for. I want to see some fight and effort from the players to get that.

Players always talk about CL meaning so much, so they should show it. After all, they are getting paid handsomely to put the effort in. Two games left, they need to show some grit and determination. Making top four will all be in vain though if we receive the transfer ban. We will have no chance of winning it or progressing anyway without a clear out in the summer. 

Edited by enigma

2 hours ago, Boston Blue said:

Look things fans don't like... players often do.  If you were a player would you rather have to play a different role every game based on who you're playing, or just go out and play your game.  It's one of the things that long term will help Sarri at Chelsea, as his guys learn their roles more and more, they will think quicker.