coco

Everton vs Chelsea (PL) Sun 17th Mar 16:30 GMT

1 minute ago, STATS said:

Azpi needs to get called out too. He is not suited in the style we are looking to play at all. In a pragmatic line up, he is fine but he just does not offer enough offensively. Slow for a FB and a vital part of the team that needs to be addressed. Look how Pep sorted that position when he went to City and how much they improved.

He isn’t particularly well suited but he’s the only one of our back four that can actually defend. None of the team fit the system, because the system Doesn’t work

1 minute ago, EdinburghBlue said:

He isn’t particularly well suited but he’s the only one of our back four that can actually defend. None of the team fit the system, because the system Doesn’t work

But he is a lot more vulnerable in defence now too which is a concern. Annoying that none of our FB provide the ability to cross too. Azpi had it when he played at RWB and was always setting up Morata. I look at TAA at Liverpool and the balls he puts in the box are top class. I would like to see us give Reece James a chance in the squad next season, however unlikely it is.

1 hour ago, coco said:

Yes we missed chances, Higuain the biggest miss, but we have no luck. Eden hits post, ball goes safe.  Kepa saves but it falls nicely for Richarlison to score.  Kepa saves penalty, ball drops nicely for Sigurdson to tap in.

However, it was a shockingly poor penalty and Kepa still could only push it straight back out in front of him.

51 minutes ago, Dean said:

Regardless of who’s in charge, an expectation reset would be no bad thing 

The problem is, we keep lowering our expectations. First it was top 4 and a cup run, then it was top 4 only, and now people are looking at a top 10 finish.

What has happened to the ambition at this club? No way should a club like us be considering a top 10 finish only next season.

19 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Anyone else feeling like they've watched this match about 10 times already this season? 

Hard to believe we were talking about finishing ahead of Spurs a week ago.

Hah I was thinking when the posts started coming in laughing at Spurs that we needed to best Wolves and win our game in hand to be able to really enjoy the laugh.

We ain't laughing anymore.

27 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Sarri won’t do it, but I’d slide Azpi in to CB if we were able to find a better option at RB.

17 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

However, it was a shockingly poor penalty and Kepa still could only push it straight back out in front of him.

I thought Kepa was pretty good, unlucky that the ball bounced straight to Everton players on both goals.  I imagine if there was more consistent defending in front of him, we would have no qualms with him at all.

The interesting opinions of us supporters is so many players aren’t good enough, you sack the manager and you still have the players. Possibly no new players for a year. How many times can we keep changing managers, learning a new way of playing etc. Our club needs stability with some leadership above, neither is happening at the moment 

43 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Lampard, Morris, Terry... I want someone who will play our kids. I honesty don’t care about winning the league anymore. We cannot beat city. We cannot match their spending which is what it’ll take. We need to try and create our own superstars (which we should he more than capable of with the most successful youth side in the country). We have enough quality in our youth teams that we could have our own version of the class of ‘92 in my opinion. We just need someone in charge who’s going to give them a regular chance instead of having them on a conveyor belt of loans which culminate in the chelsea death sentence of a vitesse loan.

They (Lamps, Morris etc) have no experience. You are talking as if it is so easy to just start playing the young players and everything will be OK. Most of the fans can’t be patient with a new manager for 1 year. 

Just now, ekimozturk said:

They (Lamps, Morris etc) have no experience. You are talking as if it is so easy to just start playing the young players and everything will be OK. Most of the fans can’t be patient with a new manager for 1 year. 

Morris has absolute years of experience of managing our youth team to massive success. Pep & Zidane didn’t have huge experience either but now we’d be w**king ourselves silly if we got them.

Einstein said

” if you keep doing the same thing and expect different results you are an idiot”

guy was no fool

we play in the same old way and expect different results and yes sarri is an idiot for expecting different results

43 minutes ago, shedpensioner said:

We had/have a football philosophy, soaking up pressure & hitting teams on the counter, we’re really good at it as well, we didn’t need to change we needed to build on what we have.

Sarri is insisting on a formula he doesn’t have the players for, I keep saying this if we wanted to change the style it needed evolution not revolution.

If he can’t see the problems with the team that everyone else can, he’s not the man for the job.

spot on 

54 minutes ago, shedpensioner said:

We had/have a football philosophy, soaking up pressure & hitting teams on the counter, we’re really good at it as well, we didn’t need to change we needed to build on what we have.

Sarri is insisting on a formula he doesn’t have the players for, I keep saying this if we wanted to change the style it needed evolution not revolution.

If he can’t see the problems with the team that everyone else can, he’s not the man for the job.

If you read an earlier post I said that’s my preferred way of play for Chelsea, and if we are totally accurate that’s Mourinho philosophy not Chelsea’s per say,  however the owner has a new vision apparently of attacking football but now that he has f**ked off maybe that will not be the case, a director of football not some bird that has literally no football experience pre Chelsea would be helpful as well 

Edited by WalterWhiteCFC

I'm not even that bothered, because I expected it, it has hardly even phased me at this point.

First time as a Chelsea fan that's happened to me... And I remember the days under AVB. 

52 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Morris has absolute years of experience of managing our youth team to massive success. Pep & Zidane didn’t have huge experience either but now we’d be w**king ourselves silly if we got them.

You are contadicting yourself. Pep and Zidane were given amazing squads. Do you really believe that if we gave Lamps/Morris this squad (with the transfer ban coming in) that they can be successful? I’d be happy with Pep but he wouldn’t come near us. 

16 minutes ago, ekimozturk said:

You are contadicting yourself. Pep and Zidane were given amazing squads. Do you really believe that if we gave Lamps/Morris this squad (with the transfer ban coming in) that they can be successful? I’d be happy with Pep but he wouldn’t come near us. 

Were they though? Barca weren’t as dominant a side before Pep took over & Madrid went on the win three CL trophies on the spin - unheard of. They had good squads but they weren’t the top sides they’d turned them in to. It’s a different level as well. Our expectation isn’t to walk the league or win the CL. It’s to bloody qualify for the thing. My point is, it doesn’t what experience you have as Pep & Zidane are perfect examples of. Zidane particularly wasn’t anything special with the youth/reserve team. Morris cakewalked it. Could they be successful in integrated the youth? 100% I have absolutely no doubt about it.

I just hope from this result that Sarri learns to never start Alonso in the league ever again...

This game is a perfect example of how being clinical in front of goal is crucial.

Hazard scores one and Higuain the other and this match would never have turned out like this.

Squad needs to learn from this and so does Sarri, even though I doubt Sarri will change the first team much after this.

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

The problem is, we keep lowering our expectations. First it was top 4 and a cup run, then it was top 4 only, and now people are looking at a top 10 finish.

What has happened to the ambition at this club? No way should a club like us be considering a top 10 finish only next season.

But what do you mean by “a club like us”? Before Abramovich came along we hadn’t won the league for nearly 50 years. We’ve had enormous success since he came but eras come and go. Ok, he’s still there and based on the current value of the club and other factors, yes we should certainly be in the top 6, and not being in the top 4 is disapponting for sure. As for the ambition of the club, unfortunately that’s just not in your or my hands, but the owner’s. And you yourself raise valid questions about this elsewhere (I think in one of the sarri threads). I have serious doubts about the owner’s current commitment to the club, and whether his motives for buying in the first place (and let’s face it we have no idea what the whole thing was about) still hold. And if they don’t - what then? The optimistic scenario is he sells to a similarly wealthy, or if less wealthy -  a more committed owner with more competent management team etc. Great, and there are many reasons to believe in that scenario. But there are no guarantees. Things COULD get a lot worse, we could end up in worse hands and neither we nor any other club has any entitlement to be in the top 4, the top 10, or even the top flight. My point is that if we use the success of the Abramovich era as a benchmark, when in fact it’s an anomaly in the context of the club’s history, we’re bound to be disappointed. In some respects, Chelsea now reminds me somewhat of the mid-late 90s Chelsea: erratic, beat anyone on our day but lose to sh*t teams, win the odd lesser cup competition, etc. But the expectations have naturally shifted massively (let’s face it we all got a bit spoilt) so it’s become less enjoyable. A resetting of expectations to a point where we can be surprised positively again might not be a bad thing . And yes this is a very long-winded reply, so sorry about that ?

23 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Were they though? Barca weren’t as dominant a side before Pep took over & Madrid went on the win three CL trophies on the spin - unheard of. They had good squads but they weren’t the top sides they’d turned them in to. It’s a different level as well. Our expectation isn’t to walk the league or win the CL. It’s to bloody qualify for the thing. My point is, it doesn’t what experience you have as Pep & Zidane are perfect examples of. Zidane particularly wasn’t anything special with the youth/reserve team. Morris cakewalked it. Could they be successful in integrated the youth? 100% I have absolutely no doubt about it.

Honestly Barcelona won the CL with freaking Raikaard, and their team has a whole list of managers that went there won a lot but before and after couldn't replicate their success at Barcelona at all, except Pep Guardiola who is the only one that continued winning at least domestic titles, with Bayern and now ManCity.

Real Madrid has had players with much ego and Zidane they respect so he could keep the team in check but just like Pep had the prime time golden Spanish generation in Barcelona, Zidane had an insane depth in his squad where in the first season James and Isco would be on the bench most of the time.

If Frankie Lampard was to come to us I would love it specially if he had the freedom to not worry about the top 4 in his first season due to the transfer ban and where he would create a new dynasty for the future with RLC,Ampadu,Abraham,CHO and others.

18 minutes ago, Dean said:

But what do you mean by “a club like us”? Before Abramovich came along we hadn’t won the league for nearly 50 years. We’ve had enormous success since he came but eras come and go. Ok, he’s still there and based on the current value of the club and other factors, yes we should certainly be in the top 6, and not being in the top 4 is disapponting for sure. As for the ambition of the club, unfortunately that’s just not in your or my hands, but the owner’s. And you yourself raise valid questions about this elsewhere (I think in one of the sarri threads). I have serious doubts about the owner’s current commitment to the club, and whether his motives for buying in the first place (and let’s face it we have no idea what the whole thing was about) still hold. And if they don’t - what then? The optimistic scenario is he sells to a similarly wealthy, or if less wealthy -  a more committed owner with more competent management team etc. Great, and there are many reasons to believe in that scenario. But there are no guarantees. Things COULD get a lot worse, we could end up in worse hands and neither we nor any other club has any entitlement to be in the top 4, the top 10, or even the top flight. My point is that if we use the success of the Abramovich era as a benchmark, when in fact it’s an anomaly in the context of the club’s history, we’re bound to be disappointed. In some respects, Chelsea now reminds me somewhat of the mid-late 90s Chelsea: erratic, beat anyone on our day but lose to sh*t teams, win the odd lesser cup competition, etc. But the expectations have naturally shifted massively (let’s face it we all got a bit spoilt) so it’s become less enjoyable. A resetting of expectations to a point where we can be surprised positively again might not be a bad thing . And yes this is a very long-winded reply, so sorry about that ?

Good post & especially as concerns the owner's ambitions. I think the appointment of Sarri showed us that Roman still hankers for attractive possession based football & in that sense, Sarri's appointment, given our squad deficiencies over the last few years, was always likely to be problematic in much the same way (but possibly less starkly) that AVB's appointment was going to be problematic: both appointments were I feel were overly ambitious given the respective squads & the results of each did/have not really surprised. I wasn't keen on Sarri's appointment for much the same reasons that I wasn't keen on AVB's appointment. I suppose it's still possible that we could sneak into the top 4 this year but I don't really hold any hopes for that after the last 2 games & I became resigned to Hazard's departure several months ago & Zidane's re-appointment has really settled that issue. None of us can accurately 2nd guess what Roman makes of all this at present as regards next year but perhaps the transfer ban may finally force his hand to settle for the youth approach which many have been hankering for over the last five years or so. Given that we've been remarkable successful for the last 15 years, the chance for this new approach would be an exciting ride for all of us. And I know that we'd all love to see us go all the way in the EL this year but in terms of the future, the sad irony should we win it might be that Roman would be less willing to go the youth route next year because we've made the CL for next year. Either way, I think the Sarri experiment is over. As for who we get - I'd like to see Lamps & Jody given a go for next year but there are other possibilities as well.

Absolutely no goals coming from our midfield. I think that's the problem. RLC is our best option in that respect but his body can't hack 2 games a week. 

5 hours ago, Jackson27 said:

Do We Actually Work On Any Attacking Play In Training, Because None Of It Is Being Shown In Half Of Our Games

Yep...our forwards play and train against our own defence...hence they score a lot so Sarri thinks it's working fine...come up against a robust defence and they fail to score every time.