coco

Everton vs Chelsea (PL) Sun 17th Mar 16:30 GMT

8 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

Yes, Hazard, he who leads the league in assists, only plays for himself.  Give me a break.

I was just talking about this game, don't get so sensitive.

Edited by Upb78

12 hours ago, Jackson27 said:

Do We Actually Work On Any Attacking Play In Training, Because None Of It Is Being Shown In Half Of Our Games

Personally I'd like to know what  we do in training when it comes to corner kicks. We've scored a goal-and-a-half so far from corners this season and seemingly have no idea how to defend corners, either. Last night was a good example. Every corner Everton took resulted in a free header. Marking is non-existant in the Sarri world. 

Edited by abramovich

5 minutes ago, abramovich said:

Personally I'd like to know what  we do in training when it comes to corner kicks. We've scored a goal-and-a-half so far from corners this season and seemingly have no idea how to defend corners, either. Last night was a good example. Every corner Everton took resulted in a free header. Marking is non-existant in the Sarri world. 

I wonder what happened to Sarri's famed "Mister 33" dead-ball situation preparation. Supposedly he had one of his Italian sides practice 33 set plays.

Right now, It's looking like "Mister 0" for the 0 minutes spent on dead-ball preparation, both offensively and defensively. 

No mention anywhere in the media or twitter of the homophobic chanting from several hundred Everton fans during yesterdays game.

Come on Ferdinand, Wright, and the rest of you quick fire pundits, where is your voice today ?

See what you want, hear what you want, when you want.

So long ago, count yourself lucky. 

Some big games coming up (on the pitch)...cardiff, west ham and liverpool.

Unfortunately Prague will be the excuse for not playing Loftus and Odoi.

I'm over being outraged or even upset about our league run, the so called turn around is welly truly over after the last 2 games. Just like the manager, the team is just slow to adapt and making the same mistakes over and over again. As usual, first half was good, but never pushed on, everytime we miss a chance, all the heads drop a bit, and each attack after becomes a little weaker. Come second half, we aren't even in the game, the team look spent and keep coming up with unforced errors. We'd think Sarri would have seen it coming after the first half, and urged his team to push on, completely different attitude in the second half. Luiz is just not a good defender week in week out, granted once in a while he puts in a good performance, he can't be trusted as a starter every week. I'm happy to see the back of him at the end of the season, at his age he should be in command of the backline, not like that Luiz 5-6 years ago. Alonso play, we lose, just a stupid and lazy tackles, he has done the same act before this season, it finally caught up with him. If RLC is the fist sub, why is he not starting? Another pointless game by Barkley, his form really dropped off after that good month in November. Higuain is doing his best impression of a South American Morata, f* sake what services does he need to score a goal? He was a year away from goal and still couldn't put a good shot in to past Pickford. My guess is apart from Sarri, very few surprised he'd struggle at a better league. The top 4 run is over, time to focus on the Europa league, hopefully Sarri won't be picking his 'best' team for it, I found our Europa cup team is actually playing better football than the league team.

Sarri won’t do it, but I’d slide Azpi in to CB if we were able to find a better option at RB.
That will be the right thing to do for Azpi, he his not very good when attacking and is now vulnerable defensively, he no longer even have the pace but I think he will be much better as a CB. I still don't get Sarri never tried Moses there before sending him out on loan.

Morris has absolute years of experience of managing our youth team to massive success. Pep & Zidane didn’t have huge experience either but now we’d be w**king ourselves silly if we got them.
I will be really disappointed if we bring Zidane here right now, but I will be very happy with Pep, Simeone, Pochetino or Allegri.

I said earlier in the thread about not understanding why Sarri didn't play the players he played in Kiev.

Having said that I thought Pickford played a blinder and looked on good form after previously looking weak.

Their first goal was weak and the second unfortunate, Alonso was marginally late to the tackle and caught Richarlison's foot who reacts as though struck skewered by a spear.

Arrizablata did well as a shop stopper though couldn't redirect the rebounds to safety.

I don't like seeing RLC using his strength to muscle people off the ball in our penalty area either. Some refs would take a dim view....................

Jimmy Floyd on MOTD was sayin as Higuaín wasn't getting the service, so he was coming in-field meaning when we did get forward at times no-one was in the box.

At times like this I think we made a mistake with the Italians they made us wait for Sarri and also Higuaín meaning we have had less time for training etc. I think we should be very careful before dealing with them in the future.

10 hours ago, youlots said:

Good post & especially as concerns the owner's ambitions. I think the appointment of Sarri showed us that Roman still hankers for attractive possession based football & in that sense, Sarri's appointment, given our squad deficiencies over the last few years, was always likely to be problematic in much the same way (but possibly less starkly) that AVB's appointment was going to be problematic: both appointments were I feel were overly ambitious given the respective squads & the results of each did/have not really surprised. I wasn't keen on Sarri's appointment for much the same reasons that I wasn't keen on AVB's appointment. I suppose it's still possible that we could sneak into the top 4 this year but I don't really hold any hopes for that after the last 2 games & I became resigned to Hazard's departure several months ago & Zidane's re-appointment has really settled that issue. None of us can accurately 2nd guess what Roman makes of all this at present as regards next year but perhaps the transfer ban may finally force his hand to settle for the youth approach which many have been hankering for over the last five years or so. Given that we've been remarkable successful for the last 15 years, the chance for this new approach would be an exciting ride for all of us. And I know that we'd all love to see us go all the way in the EL this year but in terms of the future, the sad irony should we win it might be that Roman would be less willing to go the youth route next year because we've made the CL for next year. Either way, I think the Sarri experiment is over. As for who we get - I'd like to see Lamps & Jody given a go for next year but there are other possibilities as well.

Thanks for the reply. Re owner ambitions, yeah I was actually surprised he didn't sell as part of the fallout from the various geopolitical tensions with Russia (sanctions etc) and the fact he didn’t and the sarri appointment gives me pause and makes me think maybe he’s more committed than I thought. As for the new approach you advocate, I have some sympathy for it and admiration for those willing to try this. But it’s a massive leap of faith and I fear we may be thinking with our hearts.  Lamps doesn’t have the experience yet and as for Morris - the success at youth level is just not enough. It’s quite literally a different ball game. We could be talking relegation struggles. If we did go that route, however, the team and coach would have my full support and I’d love to be proven wrong. I still think it’s too early to give up on Sarri though. The way I see it is  he’s very different to AVB - different calibre altogether, and while I can’t prove it, i was very sceptical on AVB from day one. Back to Sarri - i it’s a new job, new league. That’s never an easy situation. I know I’ve been in situations before when I’m in a new job (not quite the same level of course!) and it just takes longer than I think for things to click . Just when it looks like a lost cause, suddenly everything falls into place and when it does  it’s hard to put your finger on how/why/what happened. To sack Sarri now, we need to be sure. We can’t be yet. Pep struggled in his first season, let’s not forget, and I had my doubts  about him if I’m honest . I would say that if we adjust for the value and quality of squads, us finishing in 6th this season would be roughly equivalent to Pep’s third in his first season at Man City.

No birthday present for me then lol.What on earth was said in the half time team talk ? Might as well of boarded the coach and not come out in the second half.Oh well all the eggs in the Europa basket then,UP THE CHELS !

Ye looks like the EL now. Sorry the result didnt go for you on your birthday but that was always going to be a hard one.

Bring on Cardiff.

I'm not convinced by Sarri as stated earlier.

Yet after playing midweek in Eastern Europe this was always going to be tricky, they used to say this about Spurs a few seasons ago a as reason why they lost after Thursday games.

We saw Everton could raise their game against rivals Liverpool and it looks like they did against us in the second half.

When we were 1-0 down I was pleased to see RLC come on and then disappointed to see Jorginho was still on the pitch. I think he is a luxury when you need a goal.

36 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

I'm not convinced by Sarri as stated earlier.

Yet after playing midweek in Eastern Europe this was always going to be tricky, they used to say this about Spurs a few seasons ago a as reason why they lost after Thursday games.

We saw Everton could raise their game against rivals Liverpool and it looks like they did against us in the second half.

When we were 1-0 down I was pleased to see RLC come on and then disappointed to see Jorginho was still on the pitch. I think he is a luxury when you need a goal.

Come on now, how much longer are we going to use that excuse? We didn't have a midweek fixture prior to losing to City, for example, yet a full week of preparation didn't stop us from getting embarrassed 0-6. And Sarri used the bench players actively at the EL group stages, too. Away at Kiev half the team was rested and the game looked like practice due to the caliber of the opponent. 

It's not the busy schedule or the other teams raising their games, or even lack of quality in our own squad. It's the manager who is out of his depth and doesn't have what it takes to succeed in a very competitive league. Once you accept that as a fact, everything else starts to make sense: poor preparation, players confused as to what they're supposed to do, lack of goalscoring opportunities and as a result, lack of goals, total collapse defensively with non-existant marking that happens whenever we face a half decent opposition and struggling in attack whenever the opponent is well organized and doesn't just allow us time and space on the ball.

A few poor performances in a season you can use as an exception or a case of a bad luck. We've been struggling for months now with no signs of improvement. It's a pattern.

13 minutes ago, abramovich said:

Come on now, how much longer are we going to use that excuse? We didn't have a midweek fixture prior to losing to City, for example, yet a full week of preparation didn't stop us from getting embarrassed 0-6. And Sarri used the bench players actively at the EL group stages, too. Away at Kiev half the team was rested and the game looked like practice due to the caliber of the opponent. 

It's not the busy schedule or the other teams raising their games, or even lack of quality in our own squad. It's the manager who is out of his depth and doesn't have what it takes to succeed in a very competitive league. Once you accept that as a fact, everything else starts to make sense: poor preparation, players confused as to what they're supposed to do, lack of goalscoring opportunities and as a result, lack of goals, total collapse defensively with non-existant marking that happens whenever we face a half decent opposition and struggling in attack whenever the opponent is well organized and doesn't just allow us time and space on the ball.

A few poor performances in a season you can use as an exception or a case of a bad luck. We've been struggling for months now with no signs of improvement. It's a pattern.

I didn't just use that as an excuse, I knocked his first sub too as it wasn't ambitious enough. 

His tactics just might work yet not with the squad he has inherited and through either stubbornness or lack of adventure he is not making good decisions.

2 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

I didn't just use that as an excuse, I knocked his first sub too as it wasn't ambitious enough. 

His tactics just might work yet not with the squad he has inherited and through either stubbornness or lack of adventure he is not making good decisions.

I think he is struggling to get his tactics working effectively with the current squad. Problem is that is unlikely to change much for a while if we have the transfer ban. That being said we have played some better football when he has started players like RLC and CHO as we saw on Thursday. Question there is whether it was more down to the opposition or the lineup? I would like to see how Thursday's starting team did in a Premier League match.

5 minutes ago, forbzy said:

I think he is struggling to get his tactics working effectively with the current squad. Problem is that is unlikely to change much for a while if we have the transfer ban. That being said we have played some better football when he has started players like RLC and CHO as we saw on Thursday. Question there is whether it was more down to the opposition or the lineup? I would like to see how Thursday's starting team did in a Premier League match.

So did I, with that winning group we had momentum, Sunday's line up was disappointing.

Still not sure how we lost to such a bad team...dominated for long periods but gifted them two sloppy goals while not making the most of attack after attack...but this was another sign of the lack of ruthlessness, that steel missing from this Chelsea side. We don't deserve to play in the Champions League 

23 hours ago, Dean said:

Regardless of who’s in charge, an expectation reset would be no bad thing 

Having the third highest wage bill in the league, within the top ten in the world. Where would you set the expectations?

Personally I'd say 6th and a good cup run are minimum requirements already.

I find the play in the last third disappointing. Higuain was running into spaces and shouting for the ball but we preferred to play back or wide. Higuain went mad at one point. If we sre playing a centre forward then use him or put Giroud on from the start if Higuain isn't up to it.

Sometimes  a long ball, cross into the box or even, god forbid, a shot would be nice to see. 

Some bleeding inventiveness.

Thanks to those involved for the tickets, though.