16 minutes ago, driller97 said:

Exactly, not only just that but the defenders liverpool have with VVD, Robertson and Allison... Its no wonder he doesn't even need to be able to defend that well and can just attack but if he makes any mistakes its no doubt covered by someone else.

If Reece makes even the smallest mistake, there's better chance of hell freezing over than having Rudiger, Zouma or Christensen fixing the error!

i agree with a lot of what you are saying on RJ. I actually think Reece has a better cross on him and will be better defender given his physique.. i have infact never seen him lose a ball apart from the first game after restart.. I think where TAA scores above Reece is his pace and a better positioning atm. I also remember when TAA started there were big question marks over his positioning too, i think overtime this part of the game does develop . He will also learn more about the players in the league and start to read plays better..

Reece has played majority of the season with Willian.. who hardly ever runs behind and always wants the ball on his feet. Which also means usually a DM or CB picks him up rather than the FB who passes the player and continues to stay wide.  It would have been interesting to see if Pedro had played more; who more than anything likes to attack space...  if you give Reece space he will kill teams with his delivery.. 

Lastly talking about the match on saturday.. the first goal was not on Reece he was high up trying to press the fb .. Auba was completely the problem for the 3 CBs.. and the tactics we were using. to think we had 2 CBs on halfway line and one inside the opponent half smacked of arrogance and that one is on the coaching staff and lamps.

4 minutes ago, Jangz said:

i agree with a lot of what you are saying on RJ. I actually think Reece has a better cross on him and will be better defender given his physique.. i have infact never seen him lose a ball apart from the first game after restart.. I think where TAA scores above Reece is his pace and a better positioning atm. I also remember when TAA started there were big question marks over his positioning too, i think overtime this part of the game does develop . He will also learn more about the players in the league and start to read plays better..

Reece has played majority of the season with Willian.. who hardly ever runs behind and always wants the ball on his feet. Which also means usually a DM or CB picks him up rather than the FB who passes the player and continues to stay wide.  It would have been interesting to see if Pedro had played more; who more than anything likes to attack space...  if you give Reece space he will kill teams with his delivery.. 

Lastly talking about the match on saturday.. the first goal was not on Reece he was high up trying to press the fb .. Auba was completely the problem for the 3 CBs.. and the tactics we were using. to think we had 2 CBs on halfway line and one inside the opponent half smacked of arrogance and that one is on the coaching staff and lamps.

For sure, there were some games I saw where it was CHO who was on the RW instead of Willian and RJ immediately looked much better attacking as well. Some of the balls he was crossing in were fantastic, and many of them could have definitely lead to a goal if we had a better forward at the time.

Thats why next season looks even more exciting, someone like Ziyech and RJ on the right hand side together is a recipe for success. Throw in Werner as our forward and Havertz driving in with his aerial presence and its pure excitement.

But all in all, its still a pointless endeavor until we improve our CB's because none of them are upto it

4 minutes ago, driller97 said:

But all in all, its still a pointless endeavor until we improve our CB's because none of them are upto it

I dont think we can replace 4 in a window.. but i am struggling for a single one that is affordable and solves this problem for us.. i think world football at the moment doesnt have too many of these, cant think of many apart from - VVD, Koulabaly, (Varane, Skriniar ?).. before you start looking at the last of the Mohicans in Ramos, Banoucci.. etc No wonger HM cost 80 mil pound and still turns like a truck.

13 minutes ago, Jangz said:

I dont think we can replace 4 in a window.. but i am struggling for a single one that is affordable and solves this problem for us.. i think world football at the moment doesnt have too many of these, cant think of many apart from - VVD, Koulabaly, (Varane, Skriniar ?).. before you start looking at the last of the Mohicans in Ramos, Banoucci.. etc No wonger HM cost 80 mil pound and still turns like a truck.

Sadly, I have to agree as well as there just aren't much top CB options. Out of the ones that are somewhat available I think maybe Koulibaly, Skriniar and Giminez are the best shouts, but they're all very expensive.

Someone like VVD is obviously not moving anywhere anytime soon and I dont think Varane/Ramos will be either. We may not be able to replace everyone, but I think selling 2 of Christensen/Rudiger/Zouma and bringing in 1 of those top CB's along with bringing in a cheaper option and Tagliafico in LB and I think we can survive the next year or 2 for sure.

1 hour ago, driller97 said:

Sadly, I have to agree as well as there just aren't much top CB options. Out of the ones that are somewhat available I think maybe Koulibaly, Skriniar and Giminez are the best shouts, but they're all very expensive.

Someone like VVD is obviously not moving anywhere anytime soon and I dont think Varane/Ramos will be either. We may not be able to replace everyone, but I think selling 2 of Christensen/Rudiger/Zouma and bringing in 1 of those top CB's along with bringing in a cheaper option and Tagliafico in LB and I think we can survive the next year or 2 for sure.

Yeah in fact I would prefer Tagliafico too over Chilwell.. we already have enough English /homegrown ..on CBs knowing the problem is one thing but finding the solution completely another...

22 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

I don't want us moving for Skriniar, had one good season a couple of years ago and has lived off that. Isn't a massive improvement on what we have. 

Giminez or Koulibaly it is then

1 hour ago, driller97 said:

Giminez or Koulibaly it is then

Giminez looks good but he's played in a Simeone system almost all his career, can he hold a high line and press with less help from midfield? 

Koulibaly is also 30 by the time the league starts, is he worth the investment? 

Sadly, things look bleak for centre halves at the moment.

7 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Giminez looks good but he's played in a Simeone system almost all his career, can he hold a high line and press with less help from midfield? 

Koulibaly is also 30 by the time the league starts, is he worth the investment? 

Sadly, things look bleak for centre halves at the moment.

Yeah that was my doubt with Koulibaly as well, don't really feel comfortable paying that much for someone who's only going to decline from here as he's a very physical defender.

Giminez I've been hearing good things about, and I think he's probably the best choice atm. I used to think Skriniar, but I heard he's kind of fallen off a bit so this may be a better choice now.

You're absolutely right though, top quality CB's are a rare find these days

Edited by driller97
On 03/08/2020 at 10:06, Jangz said:

his delivery is excellent.. but i agree he can be more aggressive in attacking space..  hopefully with Ziyech looking to come inside more often than not.. that creates more space for him... with Willian everything is very static since WIllian likes the ball played to his feet.. i havent seen enough of Ziyech hopefully he also like to run behind and work more off the ball... i also agree on his positioning.. he needs to work on that specially in a back 4.. 

having said that most of us are ignoring his technique.. boy his ability to pass and cross his surreal... he very rarely gets caught in possession.. he doesnt look out of place in the center either... his potential for me is huge..  if we was playing for a wolves/Leicester or an everton people would have been talking of 40 mil plus fee... 

His crossing is excellent but he doesn't deliver it as often as he should and he lacks variation I feel. Most of the time he goes for a lofty inswinger to the far post.

That's why I said his delivery needs work. 

2 minutes ago, Deino said:

His crossing is excellent but he doesn't deliver it as often as he should and he lacks variation I feel. Most of the time he goes for a lofty inswinger to the far post.

That's why I said his delivery needs work. 

On that I think he also needs to learn when to put the early cross in, he does seem to want to get further down the line before crossing, admittedly that could be due to a lack of option in the box 

8 minutes ago, Bonzodog29 said:

On that I think he also needs to learn when to put the early cross in, he does seem to want to get further down the line before crossing, admittedly that could be due to a lack of option in the box 

I think it is. You can often see him look up immediately after he gets a touch in the final 1/3 looking for the early cross. If he can get on the same wavelength as Tammy and Werner that early cross to the near post is going to be deadly next season. 

Edited by TheChelseaBlues

I didn't watch the full game, but in the opening 30 minutes I thought James was excellent on the ball. He's not the quickest but he's really good at playing it out from the back I think, very comfortable on the ball. 

• 4 weeks later...

2 hours ago, Munkworth said:

Reece has withdrawn from the U21s with an unspecified injury. Seems to have a lot of injury problems. 

It's a minor injury that is more normal than not for a 20 year old. Players are far more injury-prone in their early career, especially post-season/pre-season. There are so many young players whose careers are destroyed by overuse in their early career.

I suspect it's also a precaution on his part as England U-21s would rightly get absolutely blasted were he to aggravate it to anything serious. We don't need him to become another Wilshire.

Edited by SydneyChelsea
  • 2 weeks later...

He scored such an amazing goal, I knew he had it in him after watching him last season trying that shot out.

Great goal, probably won us the match as he scored it at the best moment and the opposition lost all momentum after that strike.

Eh5zGWSXYAcGRjF?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Gol15