He’s young, he’ll get better. As some have said, he probably shouldn’t play every match. But against a team like WBA he should be able to step in. Idk what the resolution to our defense is, but the we are incredibly weak defensively. Personally, If I was starting James I would put Azpi on the left for more stability at the back. And allow the back line to operate as a make shift back 3 if he goes forward. 

he’s been caught out of position too many times and it’s frustrating absolutely. Hopefully with Silva’s leadership those kind of errors will smooth themselves out as he matures and gets better. I wish we had Terry with him at RB

15 hours ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

He’s young, he’ll get better. As some have said, he probably shouldn’t play every match. But against a team like WBA he should be able to step in. Idk what the resolution to our defense is, but the we are incredibly weak defensively. Personally, If I was starting James I would put Azpi on the left for more stability at the back. And allow the back line to operate as a make shift back 3 if he goes forward. 

he’s been caught out of position too many times and it’s frustrating absolutely. Hopefully with Silva’s leadership those kind of errors will smooth themselves out as he matures and gets better. I wish we had Terry with him at RB

I think I agree with this. He's young and somewhat naiive, and I suspect Lampard is also encouraging him to get forward as much as possible to deliver crosses into the box, which he is excellent at. If we could combine Azpi's defensive stability with James's attacking talent then we'd have the perfect full-back. Until then, we have to make the best out of what we have and pick the best player for each circumstance.

2 hours ago, bluedave said:

I think I agree with this. He's young and somewhat naiive, and I suspect Lampard is also encouraging him to get forward as much as possible to deliver crosses into the box, which he is excellent at. If we could combine Azpi's defensive stability with James's attacking talent then we'd have the perfect full-back. Until then, we have to make the best out of what we have and pick the best player for each circumstance.

He's another player whose best qualities will be realised if we have a proper DM in the team, who can drop in and cover when he is upfield. Such an important role in Lampard's style of play, but we don't yet have anyone who does it properly.

Edited by Sexyfootball

Great going forward, but defensively he needs some work, it's mostly his positioning and man marking that lets him down, I think that can be rectified with experience and proper management. 

People can blame him for the first goal but that was all Alonso f**king up, wingbacks get forward, that's what happens. What you don't do, is give the oppositions key attacker a ball on a plate while our defenders are still running back into position. Which is exactly what Alonso did and left us on our arse, I don't think Reece can be blamed for that, he should be getting forward. 

14 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Great going forward, but defensively he needs some work, it's mostly his positioning and man marking that lets him down, I think that can be rectified with experience and proper management. 

People can blame him for the first goal but that was all Alonso f**king up, wingbacks get forward, that's what happens. What you don't do, is give the oppositions key attacker a ball on a plate while our defenders are still running back into position. Which is exactly what Alonso did and left us on our arse, I don't think Reece can be blamed for that, he should be getting forward. 

Reece' defending for the 1-0 was poor not because he was initially out of position. That is to be expected. What was poor is how much space he gave the attacker after recovering his position. A better goalkeeper might have got a hand on the shot but no way should the striker have gotten away such a clean open shot in the first place. 

Of course this doesn't mean Alonso didn't make a colossal mistake, I am just saying Reece wasn't without fault either. 

Someone must have told him to cross like a madman. He's never been like that. What the heck was that, that was worse performance than Bosingwa? Reece needs to stick to his game - make runs, shoot the ball, play 1-2 and cross only at the right moment. Not from any goddamn position. What we saw yesterday, that was not his game. 

I like Reece a lot and can’t see any reason as to why Lampard would bench him, even if he makes a couple of mistakes. An offensive full back will always have a problem defensively, mainly because they are playing catch up as soon as the opponent have the ball. Look at Liverpool, they play three midfield players with defensive characteristics in order to cover for their bombarding full backs.

Trent Alexander Arnold is absolutely irreplaceable for that team, as is Robertson. They do suspect defensive things all the time, especially TAA, but their attacking output makes up for it. We should hold Chelsea to the same standard; attack to win, and Reece is one of our finest attacking players.

People moaning about RJ being defensively weak then will happily say TAA is the best RB in the league. If we get competent CB's and an actual DM, then RJ can concentrate on attacking like a normal modern fullback. 

As for the w**k fest over Lamptey, he's playing as a wing back in a back 5, complete different roles. Stick him in a flat back 4 and you'd all still be moaning. 

Edited by RIP Mourinho
1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

People moaning about RJ being defensively weak then will happily say TAA is the best RB in the league. If we get competent CB's and an actual DM, then RJ can concentrate on attacking like a normal modern fullback. 

As for the w**k fest over Lamptey, he's playing as a wing back in a back 5, complete different roles. Stick him in a flat back 4 and you'd all still be moaning. 

Grass is greener. Had it been in reverse (James doing our performances for BHA while Tariq did his performances for us) the same lot will be moaning about Lamptey being caught up the pitch while Rashford danced through and scored while James was firing in 30 yard bangers for another club.

The way he is playing and probably instructed to play means there will always be space behind him when we don't score from his crosses. He played an absolute peach to Tammy on Saturday which should have been a goal. Like TAA he is not superman and can't immediately be in the defensive line after making a cross. His team mates need to cover for him as mentioned above. I think he is given leeway because he is 20 years old. No more no less. 

19 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Interesting ... the Whoscored season to date Rankings across Europe's top 5 leagues ...

image.png.fb2493bfde660a5bca8925bdf0f2958a.png

According to Whoscored, best performances overall so far are from James and Mount.

2 hours ago, Deino said:

I just wish James had Lamptey's attitude in attack, so self assured and always looking to beat his man. James likes to pass backwards whenever he's under pressure

It’s the Chelsea way. Get the full back up the pitch, as soon as you get 2/3 look to pass back to your CB so he can pass it to his mate and he can move it on the other full back. Repeat until everyone falls asleep and roll ball in to empty net. Sarri-ball I believe it was called!

2 hours ago, Deino said:

I just wish James had Lamptey's attitude in attack, so self assured and always looking to beat his man. James likes to pass backwards whenever he's under pressure

Lamptey plays as a wing back for brighton. 

I think maybe 95% of fans who say lamptey is "better" than james in any way don't realise this. 

Edited by bisright1
22 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

It’s the Chelsea way. Get the full back up the pitch, as soon as you get 2/3 look to pass back to your CB so he can pass it to his mate and he can move it on the other full back. Repeat until everyone falls asleep and roll ball in to empty net. Sarri-ball I believe it was called!

To be fair James is direct but his style is to cut inside and shot it from outside the box, he puts in crosses without trying to beat his man and he's good at it. Lamptey acts like winger, James is a pure RB.

2 hours ago, Deino said:

And i bet Brighton fans wish Lamptey had RJ's end product and physicality. 

14 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

And i bet Brighton fans wish Lamptey had RJ's end product and physicality. 

14 hours ago, bisright1 said:

Lamptey plays as a wing back for brighton. 

I think maybe 95% of fans who say lamptey is "better" than james in any way don't realise this. 

14 hours ago, Gol15 said:

To be fair James is direct but his style is to cut inside and shot it from outside the box, he puts in crosses without trying to beat his man and he's good at it. Lamptey acts like winger, James is a pure RB.

Fair enough. It's one facet of James' play that can propel him further in his career.

Why venture forward if he ends up passing back and leaving space in behind? It wastes an attacking opportunity that we could have had. Put a cross into the danger area, then run back, that's all I'm asking for if he goes forward.

5 minutes ago, Deino said:

Fair enough. It's one facet of James' play that can propel him further in his career.

Why venture forward if he ends up passing back and leaving space in behind? It wastes an attacking opportunity that we could have had. Put a cross into the danger area, then run back, that's all I'm asking for if he goes forward.

I anticipate that is a direction from SFL. He used to love banging in crosses.