I was critically of him defensively last season & I still stand by that, but he has taken massive steps since then and now looks incredibly solid at the back and a threat going forward. I love Azpi and still think he has a lot to offer, I actually think James will have learned a lot last year from watching him defensively. We are extremely lucky to have the depth we do at RB. James is genuinely starting to live up to the hype he was getting last year for me, so far this season he has been incredible & the best in the league in my opinion.

On 06/12/2020 at 03:01, EdinburghBlue said:

I was critically of him defensively last season & I still stand by that, but he has taken massive steps since then and now looks incredibly solid at the back and a threat going forward. I love Azpi and still think he has a lot to offer, I actually think James will have learned a lot last year from watching him defensively. We are extremely lucky to have the depth we do at RB. James is genuinely starting to live up to the hype he was getting last year for me, so far this season he has been incredible & the best in the league in my opinion.

100%

People were quick to jump on him last year for his defensive mistakes, but i said that he's still young and raw and he will improve with time. Now you look at him and he's almost as good defensively as he is attacking! What a player we have on our hands. In my opinion he's the best english RB as he has the attacking talent of TAA whilst being better defensively, and also as good defensively as Wan Bissaka but better attacking. It's as if hes the best of both.

Just have to hope he carries on improving and stays injury free

On 06/12/2020 at 03:01, EdinburghBlue said:

It wasn't irrational, he was making defensive mistakes, but he always will given that he's a player who gets forward. 

For all the praise and worship TAA gets, his defending is f**king woeful. 

But you also can't forget Reece's performances in the big games and against Zaha against Palace, he can definitely defend, it'll just take more experience. 

Our back 5 if you can use that expression is probably the best in the country atm and Reece is integral part of it at the age of 21. Very solid in D and his crosses are just delightful. 

I loved the way he manhandled Bamford. Don't know what Bamford was thinking to be honest. 😁

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

Happy birthday and congratulations for the 50th match played for the club as well. One of my favorite players ever already.

EokL5ZNXcAcTjkH?format=jpg&name=small

One of my favourites in the present squad. What is it about our own academy players that makes us will them on and be hugely successful?

50th match already...:good2:

On 09/12/2020 at 06:11, axman2526 said:

Sad to say from one point of view, but very happy from the other, as to how much of a downgrade Dave is in all departments compared to the player James is now imo.

Not as big a downgrade Emerson is from Chilwell but pretty close.

I think that is a bit harsh. As an attacking full back, yeah, James is miles ahead, but I still think Azpilicueta is a better defender, even though James has gone up many levels in recent months. You'll struggle to find a better 1v1 defender than Azpilicueta.

The team was poor today, but Reece was still a level above the rest.  Up for the battle, and up and down the right flank all night long.  Unlucky not to score, great battle with Richardlison, and the recovery tackle he made in the second half was world class defending.

Beyond that, he looked mad, and I like that determination and steel from a homegrown player.

1 hour ago, PloKoon13 said:

Looking more and more like he might be Super Dan's natural successor. Absolutely delighted that he's living up to his promise, and just as delighted that he's making a mockery of Luca's theory about right backs.

The only thing that's suprised me is it took him a season to reach this level (consistently) and even now I think what we're seeing is just the tip of the iceberg.

On 11/12/2020 at 12:36, Scott Harris said:

I think that is a bit harsh. As an attacking full back, yeah, James is miles ahead, but I still think Azpilicueta is a better defender, even though James has gone up many levels in recent months. You'll struggle to find a better 1v1 defender than Azpilicueta.

With the Everton lineup, I’d replace Kovacic with James and James with Azpi. Kante and James would both be encouraged to attack, but not at the same time. In other words, France with James as Kante’s Pogba.