Jump to content

Reece James


PloKoon13
 Share

Recommended Posts


9 minutes ago, big blue said:

Im a massive fan of James, and by no means was he the only one tonight, but the amount of times he turned down a forward pass today was ridiculous. Just looked scared of giving the ball away. Not a bad game, but when we have seen how effective CHO can be there, he needs to be a bit more positive in possession.

I only saw the second half yet thought it was pointless having CHO and James on the right they kept passing back and forth and not creating much.

Fortunately after the penalty we were able to hang on for 2-1, not pretty just enough.

TBF credit to Sheffield they kept knocking on the door we were just able to keep them out.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, big blue said:

Im a massive fan of James, and by no means was he the only one tonight, but the amount of times he turned down a forward pass today was ridiculous. Just looked scared of giving the ball away. Not a bad game, but when we have seen how effective CHO can be there, he needs to be a bit more positive in possession.

when he had first come he was able to get to the byline a lot.. for some reason dont see that happening a lot now.. teams are tighter and quicker out to him.. On another note i wonder how he would be like in the middle of the pitch for us in a different formation.. everytime he drifts in.. he looks a natural there.. strength, technique vision, and a good long distance shot on him..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, big blue said:

Im a massive fan of James, and by no means was he the only one tonight, but the amount of times he turned down a forward pass today was ridiculous. Just looked scared of giving the ball away. Not a bad game, but when we have seen how effective CHO can be there, he needs to be a bit more positive in possession.

Out of our backline it was only Azpilicueta who was getting the ball forward. 

Azpilicueta and Kovacic that actually wanted to pick our forwards out from deep. Reece surprises me the most because we've seen some of his passing and crossing, you would think he would have a keen eye and be eager to take the risks. So far I've actually not been that impressed with James at RWB myself. Although we've only seen him there twice now under Tuchel, so I'll give it time until I really judge, but if I had to judge on our last 4 games I would put CHO there, honestly... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


10 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Out of our backline it was only Azpilicueta who was getting the ball forward. 

Azpilicueta and Kovacic that actually wanted to pick our forwards out from deep. Reece surprises me the most because we've seen some of his passing and crossing, you would think he would have a keen eye and be eager to take the risks. So far I've actually not been that impressed with James at RWB myself. Although we've only seen him there twice now under Tuchel, so I'll give it time until I really judge, but if I had to judge on our last 4 games I would put CHO there, honestly... 

Yeah infact he has been playing so far up the pitch that its putting a lot of pressure on Azpi to find him with inch perfect passes.. maybe he needs to mix-it up a little bit . He needs to positionally recognize when the team is under pressure and come closer to the byline even if Tuchel has instructed him to push right upfront as part of the attacking 5. Tuchel cant coach his every move- again i think he will learn more about this position as he plays more and also watches some of the great wing backs of the modern era..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This lad potentially has everything, the trouble is it seems to come to easy to him which makes him look a bit sluggish at times (completely different player but David Luiz is a bit like this) 
His ball control is fantastic and his delivery superb but as some have stated he needs to take more risks with an early pass or cross instead of the safety first backwards ball. Early in the season his early first time crosses were causing havoc though we rarely got anyone on the end of them. 
I could possibly see him moving infield to more a more central midfield roll as he gets older or then again the right of a back 3 he’s that versatile. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dkw said:

Twitter have just said that people using monkeys and bananas etc on tweets doesn't breech their policy and wont be stopped.....I mean f**king hell...

Not surprised, lack of common sense seems to be high on Twitter. I read a few weeks ago that they were being sued because they didn't ban a child pornography account. Their excuse was that the account didn't violate their policies 😐

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Could be under instruction but he's not been putting in any deliveries from the RWB position in the last couple of games. 

With Werner often lurking on the left side you'd think deliveries from the right hand side would be encouraged? 

Yeah I noticed that too, especially in comparison to the more desperate days of the Lampard era when it appeared that James was more or less our only outlet.

Considering James' drives towards the middle against Sheffield United, in addition to Hudson-Odoi's selection in the first two games - maybe Tuchel wants something else from his right wing-back?

Can we recall Victor Moses? The genre-defining Victor Moses? The best right wing-back in the history of the Premier League?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Not surprised, lack of common sense seems to be high on Twitter. I read a few weeks ago that they were being sued because they didn't ban a child pornography account. Their excuse was that the account didn't violate their policies 😐

 

Disgusting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reece has obviously got ability but I think he is a very incomplete footballer.

Some people on here say he's got pace but if so I've never seen him use it. He rarely if ever tries to go beyond the opposition full back and he is often a long way from the guy on the ball when he is playing defence. In comparison CHO is quick and is mostly looking to beat at least one player on his way through.

As a fullback instead of wing back his positional play seems very average to me and I often see goals coming through his space.

He seems very level headed and when he has the ball rarely loses it. He crosses well, can shoot and has brilliant first touch.

In my humble and probably wrong opinion a team with a back 3 needs one wing back who is an out an out speedy attacker. Some one that provides drive and creativity to make things happen. Moses did that pretty well in his one season in the role and in my opinion CHO can do that only much better than Moses. James can't. On the other side Alonso may not have half the talent that James has and is probably even slower but he does score the goals and is quite good in the air.

Could James play Azpi's role in a back three? I reckon he probably could and might give us more ball playing ability out of the back three.

anyhow that's what I see and I can also see its contrary to what most guys on this forum see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, ozboy said:

Reece has obviously got ability but I think he is a very incomplete footballer.

Some people on here say he's got pace but if so I've never seen him use it. He rarely if ever tries to go beyond the opposition full back and he is often a long way from the guy on the ball when he is playing defence. In comparison CHO is quick and is mostly looking to beat at least one player on his way through.

As a fullback instead of wing back his positional play seems very average to me and I often see goals coming through his space.

He seems very level headed and when he has the ball rarely loses it. He crosses well, can shoot and has brilliant first touch.

In my humble and probably wrong opinion a team with a back 3 needs one wing back who is an out an out speedy attacker. Some one that provides drive and creativity to make things happen. Moses did that pretty well in his one season in the role and in my opinion CHO can do that only much better than Moses. James can't. On the other side Alonso may not have half the talent that James has and is probably even slower but he does score the goals and is quite good in the air.

Could James play Azpi's role in a back three? I reckon he probably could and might give us more ball playing ability out of the back three.

anyhow that's what I see and I can also see its contrary to what most guys on this forum see.

Interesting points above, I also think CHO looks better than James as a wing back, all be it on a few occasions under TT.

I'm not convinced by James defensively, he is not easily pushed off the ball yet he is often found out of position by the opponents down our right. When this happens he often lunges in and concedes a card and free kick in a dangerous position.

He does put in a lot of dangerous looking crosses yet not many come to anything. I think many of these crosses do not contain sufficient pace.

His shooting is very one-footed and that is on his right which means he gets few opportunities when playing on the right. 

Not sure if he could play as one of three CBs, he would need a lot of coaching towards this aim for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

When James plays with Azpi, Azpi s outlet ball is to James tight to the right touchline, with a defender up his arse, the default ball is back to Azpi, this is the one part of his game that lets him down , just awareness and positional play, or just sloppy from Azpi?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


21 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

When James plays with Azpi, Azpi s outlet ball is to James tight to the right touchline, with a defender up his arse, the default ball is back to Azpi, this is the one part of his game that lets him down , just awareness and positional play, or just sloppy from Azpi?

I think that's a bit harsh, he doesn't always knock it back to Azpi... I think the aim in that situation is to then play it square to Kante/Kova/Jorginho who can then surge forward into empty space in the midfield. He only pops it back to Azpi when that ball isn't on.

There's real method to the way we pass the ball around now, probing for an opening and I like that James is mature enough to buy into that philosophy. I'm sure he (and we) would rather see him gunning it down the wing and delivering pinpoint crosses but that clearly isn't TT's gameplan at the moment and in light of recent results I don't think I can complain!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Shweaves said:

I think that's a bit harsh, he doesn't always knock it back to Azpi... I think the aim in that situation is to then play it square to Kante/Kova/Jorginho who can then surge forward into empty space in the midfield. He only pops it back to Azpi when that ball isn't on.

There's real method to the way we pass the ball around now, probing for an opening and I like that James is mature enough to buy into that philosophy. I'm sure he (and we) would rather see him gunning it down the wing and delivering pinpoint crosses but that clearly isn't TT's gameplan at the moment and in light of recent results I don't think I can complain!

I love to complain, cos i always want us to look brilliant all over the pitch, i think my exact observation was mentioned in the match chat, i've noticed its in every game where he gets to tight to the touchline, facing goal, and he has no where to go but backwards....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like he's played himself into favour with Tuchel. 

CHO isn't really getting minutes in that wing back position now and James has put in some pretty solid performances and looks to be continuing to improve the defensive side of his game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone else think his ego has got the better of him? I've been less than impressed with him on a number of occasions this season.

He Looks Complacent when he passes the ball, gets beaten far too easily, and his general attitude at times gives the impression that its all below him.

Needs to get his act together as he was f**king Shocking yesterday

Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 minutes ago, just said:

Fantastic game yesterday. He is such a natural physical athlete. Could not believe it when Tuchel subbed him and Mount our two best players on the night.

Didn't mind Mount going off because Kante gives you a lot of protection, especially late in a game. 

Thought James being subbed off was a strange one just because it meant Dave, who isn't as mobile as he used to be, had to take over at right wing-back. Like you said, James was really good last night. The Porto players struggled with physical he was. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, just said:

Fantastic game yesterday. He is such a natural physical athlete. Could not believe it when Tuchel subbed him and Mount our two best players on the night.

He looked like a seasoned veteran out there. Porto were pressing all game and made things very difficult but he was outstanding and he didn't seem fazed at all. Stood his ground and dealt with whatever came his way. I was well impressed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!