Reece James

PloKoon13

I am glad to see James given MOTM, however had Alexander-Arnold had that type of game, the pundits would non stop talking about him having to be in England squad etc. James was a monster today. He scored a goal against Villa and was not that good in actual game and it was all the "how is TAA not in the England squad etc...

9 minutes ago, STATS said:

I am glad to see James given MOTM, however had Alexander-Arnold had that type of game, the pundits would non stop talking about him having to be in England squad etc. James was a monster today. He scored a goal against Villa and was not that good in actual game and it was all the "how is TAA not in the England squad etc...

Agreed, his performance didn't even get a mention on Man City TV after the game or during it. All Gary Neville does is "oooooohhhh" every 5 seconds.

James played really well today. I have to say though, he did leave me frustrated at times. For all of his nice crossing, he often makes the wrong decision with more simpler passes. At least 3 times players ahead of him were running into space, but rather than play them through with a little slide rule pass, he instead checked back or played it square to Kante, by which time the space was gone.

He has it in his locker, and I think it is a case of needing to be more decisive. Overall a good game, but room for improvement.

9 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

James played really well today. I have to say though, he did leave me frustrated at times. For all of his nice crossing, he often makes the wrong decision with more simpler passes. At least 3 times players ahead of him were running into space, but rather than play them through with a little slide rule pass, he instead checked back or played it square to Kante, by which time the space was gone.

He has it in his locker, and I think it is a case of needing to be more decisive. Overall a good game, but room for improvement.

His delivery is ridiculously good. Absolutely nothing to criticise about his performance today.

13 minutes ago, DannyVblue said:

His delivery is ridiculously good. Absolutely nothing to criticise about his performance today.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Simply because 1 part of his game was brilliant, doesn't negate the need to improve on other things where it would be beneficial to the team. I didn't criticize his crossing delivery into the box. In fact, I specifically said, "for all of his nice crossing, he often makes the wrong decision with more simpler passes".

31 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

That's a ridiculous thing to say. Simply because 1 part of his game was brilliant, doesn't negate the need to improve on other things where it would be beneficial to the team. I didn't criticize his crossing delivery into the box. In fact, I specifically said, "for all of his nice crossing, he often makes the wrong decision with more simpler passes".

For someone celebrating Werners flawed yet match winning performance you seem to be incredibly harsh on someone who was by far our MOTM today and had the right flank on absolute lock down. 

10 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

For someone celebrating Werners flawed yet match winning performance you seem to be incredibly harsh on someone who was by far our MOTM today and had the right flank on absolute lock down. 

Didn't find anything harsh there... He played extremely well BUT could have been more decisive with the simple final pass. Pretty straightforward. And no one is forgetting all of Werner's faults while praising him - excellent work rate, keeps the opposition defence on its toes, presses and runs into space beautifully BUT poor finishing, dribbling and offside too often.

Neither of these are "incredibly harsh", just statements of fact in addition to well deserved praise. Perhaps you need to read what was written again.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

I celebrated yet another match winning contribution from Timo. I also commented on how frustrating he is, and how bad his touch and control are. Was that harsh? I would call it balanced.

I celebrated how good Reece was yesterday (quote: Reece played really well). I also commented how good his delivery was. I simply pointed out that his decision making needs to improve. He had a number of opportunities to play the ball forward into space for runners, but instead took the easy, sideways or backwards option. This bad decision making didn't cost us points yesterday, but in other games it could.  Call it harsh if you want. I would call it balanced.

Edited by nonotnowjim

Posted (edited)

James took on several players (Mendy, Zinchencko, Ake) and nobody could stop him. Great crosses and runs but little support at times so he was ahead of the curve.

This is huge because when City puts 2 players on Chilwell, Mount or even Pulisic that might be on the left side and we switch the flank it's over for them because James can outrun and outmuscle anyone.

Edited by Gol15

3 hours ago, nonotnowjim said:

I celebrated yet another match winning contribution from Timo. I also commented on how frustrating he is, and how bad his touch and control are. Was that harsh? I would call it balanced.

I celebrated how good Reece was yesterday (quote: Reece played really well). I also commented how good his delivery was. I simply pointed out that his decision making needs to improve. He had a number of opportunities to play the ball forward into space for runners, but instead took the easy, sideways or backwards option. This bad decision making didn't cost us points yesterday, but in other games it could.  Call it harsh if you want. I would call it balanced.

In other games James has been guilty of playing sideways and going back but in yesterday's game James was our most progressive player, he drove the ball forward at every opportunity. 

The only times he went back or sideways was when either the options were limited or when play needed to be switched in my view he was the biggest factor we managed to turn the game around.

4 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

In other games James has been guilty of playing sideways and going back but in yesterday's game James was our most progressive player, he drove the ball forward at every opportunity. 

The only times he went back or sideways was when either the options were limited or when play needed to be switched in my view he was the biggest factor we managed to turn the game around.

I think some of it will also be down to tactics.. somewhere i think TT wanted him to play considered till 0-0 post the break he asked him to push up 10-15 yards and he destroyed mendy... 

Horrible mistake to fluff a pass and then backed off.

He stopped Vardy. That's about it 

Has potential to be good but needs to start winning trophies

2 minutes ago, Deino said:

Horrible mistake to fluff a pass and then backed off.

He stopped Vardy. That's about it 

Has potential to be good but needs to start winning trophies

Hardly fluffed a pass, it was intercepted with the help of an arm .

”he stopped Vardy. That’s about it” well plenty have failed in that over the years. 

he’s 21 years old I think he has a few more years to win trophies, he done all he was asked today , it’s teams that win or lose trophies. 

Just now, dkw said:

Ridiculous decision to play him at centre back, completely wasted his talent. 

Agree but more a waste he played Dave at RWB.

if he was worried about Dave against Vardy then drop Dave and even play Zouma rcb or as he did James with a more offensive rwb.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, dkw said:

Ridiculous decision to play him at centre back, completely wasted his talent. 

I agree, loads of people on Twitter think he should play RCB and i just dont get it the logic. Like you say it wastes his talent. How he played VS city is his talent, strength, speed, passing/crossing.

Forgot to add though today his corners were bloody terrible, everything over hit.

Edited by jack_super_class

Reece lost us the game today. For a professional footballer to casually loft a pass to the Leicester player like he did for the goal is inexcusable. Say whatever we like about offside goals, ineffectual forward play, wrong selections - but the fact is that it was down to Reece that they scored when they did. The man needs to sharpen the f**k up, and stop making braindead decisions.

35 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

Reece lost us the game today. For a professional footballer to casually loft a pass to the Leicester player like he did for the goal is inexcusable. Say whatever we like about offside goals, ineffectual forward play, wrong selections - but the fact is that it was down to Reece that they scored when they did. The man needs to sharpen the f**k up, and stop making braindead decisions.

This is the first time he played that position and in all fairness it was a great shot from distance.