Jump to content

Reece James


PloKoon13
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Early on whenever he was in space, could run on to a good ball and get at a defender the pass was always sh*t, never in front of him and made him have to double back to receive it. He just seemed to give up on it all after 20 minutes. 

Yeah it was pretty laboured in that 1st half, Ziyech didnt offer him any support going forward either tbf.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 28/06/2021 at 08:14, Term_X said:

Yea that Cho contract really f**ked us, Marina disasterclass right there.

Marina is excellent at getting good fees for our players but not so good in the buying and other aspects of her job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/09/2021 at 17:47, ForeverCarefree said:

Last night, it felt like that was a tactical instruction. There was a reluctance from all of our players to put crosses in for large periods. 

When you have Lukaku as st yoy want to pump crosses in. I'll ve surprised if that is tactical instruction

Edited by Bob stark
Link to comment
Share on other sites


15 hours ago, wally said:

Marina is excellent at getting good fees for our players but not so good in the buying and other aspects of her job.

Disagree. Leicester wanted a similar fee as Maguire for Chilwell and Marina got him for £45m. MAnaged to get Kai when all big clubs wanted him. Beat Utd for Saul on a very cheap loan deal. Werner looked like a steal at £45m too. 

I'd say the only 'fails' she has had are when she's been told to buy a specific player. Someone obviously told her to get Kepa and everyone know Bilbao only ever sell players for their release clause. 

I think its a lazy argument that we see quite often about Marina not buying players for good value with the last few windows we have had.

Interested to see what your point about the other aspects of her job are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Disagree. Leicester wanted a similar fee as Maguire for Chilwell and Marina got him for £45m. MAnaged to get Kai when all big clubs wanted him. Beat Utd for Saul on a very cheap loan deal. Werner looked like a steal at £45m too. 

I'd say the only 'fails' she has had are when she's been told to buy a specific player. Someone obviously told her to get Kepa and everyone know Bilbao only ever sell players for their release clause. 

I think its a lazy argument that we see quite often about Marina not buying players for good value with the last few windows we have had.

Interested to see what your point about the other aspects of her job are.

My understanding of her job is that she has complete control of buying, selling and contracts.

Probably the best in the league at selling.

Buying?

Kai is a talent but he still has a long way  to go before he proves he's worth what we paid for him.

Chilwell is struggling to hold down his position as first choice LB. At best the 45 million is no more than he's worth.

Who would pay 50 million for Werner now?

Too early to say anything about Saul.

What about the fees for Drinkwater, Batshuayi and Bakayoko?

Then there's big mistake of not selling CHO for a massive fee for a completely unproven player and then handing him a huge contract for which he did nothing to earn.

 

 

 

 

Edited by wally
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Disagree. Leicester wanted a similar fee as Maguire for Chilwell and Marina got him for £45m. MAnaged to get Kai when all big clubs wanted him. Beat Utd for Saul on a very cheap loan deal. Werner looked like a steal at £45m too. 

I'd say the only 'fails' she has had are when she's been told to buy a specific player. Someone obviously told her to get Kepa and everyone know Bilbao only ever sell players for their release clause. 

I think its a lazy argument that we see quite often about Marina not buying players for good value with the last few windows we have had.

Interested to see what your point about the other aspects of her job are.

It is similar to woordward in United, when transfer goes wrong it is marina/woordward fault. I am pretty sure their main job is mostly on the money side, and picking player is manager + scout + some other department job. 

Take Lukaku for example, Tuchel said he want a no 9 who can play back to goal who is ready to lead us. I am pretty sure Marina won't say we should sign a, b or c.

Whoever in charge with finding player will give the lis to Tuchel. Honestly, in this case the list is pretty straightforward

It is clear who is the target, Tuchel said it was Lukaku, Haaland, Kane maybe even lewa. Now it is on Marina to negotiate fee and wages.

 

Edited by Bob stark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/09/2021 at 17:24, wally said:

My understanding of her job is that she has complete control of buying, selling and contracts.

Probably the best in the league at selling.

Buying?

Kai is a talent but he still has a long way  to go before he proves he's worth what we paid for him.

Chilwell is struggling to hold down his position as first choice LB. At best the 45 million is no more than he's worth.

Who would pay 50 million for Werner now?

Too early to say anything about Saul.

What about the fees for Drinkwater, Batshuayi and Bakayoko?

Then there's big mistake of not selling CHO for a massive fee for a completely unproven player and then handing him a huge contract for which he did nothing to earn.

 

 

 

 

Yeah but a player performing isn't down to Marina though? At the point of buying them Kai was the best youngster in world football, Chilwell was a massive upgrade as he showed last season and has English tax and Werner was banging in 30+ goals a seaon. All worth what we paid for them at the time. £4.5m loan fee for Sual is absolute pennies too.

Drinkwater and Bakayoko are the from the anomaly window. As someone above mentioned, they will have been chosen by a scout, i seem to remember a lot of hype around Bakayoko due to the Monaco run of form at the time. Wouldn't say they're bad deals on Marina's part. 

Batshuayi was another promising young player with teams like Juventus wanting him the year we got him. £30m for a 22 year old striker off the back of a 23 goal season was a good move. I really don't see how you can blame Marina for him not adapting to the prem in the same fashion. 

If anything the club has learned from the mistakes of Bakayoko and Batshuayi and moved away from buying promising youngsters from Ligue 1. If i'm remebering corrently the only player we've signed from that league since is Mendy? That's why i'm so surprised so many fans wanted us to move for Tchoameni or Camavinga.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 17/09/2021 at 17:24, wally said:

My understanding of her job is that she has complete control of buying, selling and contracts.

Given that we smashed our transfer record this summer signing Lukaku for almost £100m and yet still made a profit in the transfer market I'd say Granovskaia is doing excellently. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Given that we smashed our transfer record this summer signing Lukaku for almost £100m and yet still made a profit in the transfer market I'd say Granovskaia is doing excellently. 

I don't think Lukaku is worth close to what we paid for him. In the two games against top six teams this season, he's looked rather ordinary, as he always has been against the top six in this country.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wally said:

I don't think Lukaku is worth close to what we paid for him. In the two games against top six teams this season, he's looked rather ordinary, as he always has been against the top six in this country.

Are you trying to make a point about Lukaku's quality/ability or about Granovskaia's quality/ability in her role? Because you don't seem to be arguing one thing or the other. 

Granovskaia is tasked with negotiating the transfers for incoming and outgoing players. 

She doesn't decide who to buy or sell, she just makes it happen. 

So tasked with signing a new centre forward (if rumour is to be believed) we inquired about signing Haaland and the deal would have been a £200m transfer fee, agent and signing on fees in the region of £50m and wages in excess of £400k a week. Harry Kane was a no go because Spurs. 

So we signed Lukaku. His career record is 263 goals in 524 appearances and he is arguably at his peak right now. Tell me another striker in Europe who we could have signed with that sort of record who wouldn't have cost similar, if not more, than we paid for Lukaku? 

Can you also tell me of another club that has paid £100m for a player and gone on to have a net positive spend in the same transfer window? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Are you trying to make a point about Lukaku's quality/ability or about Granovskaia's quality/ability in her role? Because you don't seem to be arguing one thing or the other. 

Granovskaia is tasked with negotiating the transfers for incoming and outgoing players. 

She doesn't decide who to buy or sell, she just makes it happen. 

So tasked with signing a new centre forward (if rumour is to be believed) we inquired about signing Haaland and the deal would have been a £200m transfer fee, agent and signing on fees in the region of £50m and wages in excess of £400k a week. Harry Kane was a no go because Spurs. 

So we signed Lukaku. His career record is 263 goals in 524 appearances and he is arguably at his peak right now. Tell me another striker in Europe who we could have signed with that sort of record who wouldn't have cost similar, if not more, than we paid for Lukaku? 

Can you also tell me of another club that has paid £100m for a player and gone on to have a net positive spend in the same transfer window? 

I am critical of Marina agreeing to pay 100 million for a flat track bully who'll have little resale value at the end of his contract. I think it's another awful, Kepa, level panic buy deal. 

Imo, we should have waited until we could buy a better value for money striker and in the meantime find a way of getting more out of our players who have far greater technical ability than this big lump.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, wally said:

 

Imo, we should have waited until we could buy a better value for money striker and in the meantime find a way of getting more out of our players who have far greater technical ability than this big lump.

May I know who? 

Edited by Bob stark
Link to comment
Share on other sites


This is the Reece James thread btw.

 

But since you asked me: I'm super happy Lukaku plays for us. Seems like a 100% Chelsea player and fits like a(n expensive) glove. He got the quality and the heart to bring our squad near to perfection. And a flat track bully is all we actually needed - yet we got way more than that.

Edited by weetee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, wally said:

I am critical of Marina agreeing to pay 100 million for a flat track bully who'll have little resale value at the end of his contract.

Why do you care what his resale value is? We've bought him to score goals, not with one eye on selling him down the line, he's been bought in to fix a problem of scoring goals. 

31 minutes ago, wally said:

 I think it's another awful, Kepa, level panic buy deal. 

So you are unhappy with the 4 goals he has scored in 5 appearances so far? 

31 minutes ago, wally said:

Imo, we should have waited until we could buy a better value for money striker

Which striker would you envision would be a better striker and better value in a years time? 

After having our top scorer in the league last season be Jorginho scoring 7 penalties you would have been happy to go into the new season with no changes to our striking options? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Why do you care what his resale value is? We've bought him to score goals, not with one eye on selling him down the line, he's been bought in to fix a problem of scoring goals. 

So you are unhappy with the 4 goals he has scored in 5 appearances so far? 

Which striker would you envision would be a better striker and better value in a years time? 

After having our top scorer in the league last season be Jorginho scoring 7 penalties you would have been happy to go into the new season with no changes to our striking options? 

Resale value should be taken into account when you splash out a massive amount on a player.

Yes, his goal tally so far has been up to par, but not his performances against the two top 6 teams he's faced. That's the point his critics have always held against him and nothing seems to have changed.

Name one club who has won the EPL with a flat track bully as their main striker? They get found out in far too many of the big games and that's why you don't see the likes of City or Liverpool going in for these  type of technically deficient battering ram strikers.I've never been a fan of this type of striker and I never will.

As for a better option? Well, that's the job of our scouts to go and find one. Personally, I would have kept Tammy (he didn't get a fair crack under TT) and fiddled through with what we have until we found the right striker.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, wally said:

Name one club who has won the EPL with a flat track bully as their main striker?

I don't know what you mean by flat track bully? Do you mean someone who is just a goal scorer and little else? 

So someone like Ruud van Nistlerooy? Diego Costa? 

10 minutes ago, wally said:

As for a better option? Well, that's the job of our scouts to go and find one. 

Our scouts identified Lukaku. 

You name someone else. 

11 minutes ago, wally said:

his performances against the two top 6 teams he's faced. That's the point his critics have always held against him and nothing seems to have changed.

You're criticising Lukaku for his performances in a game we played 45 minutes with 10 men away from home and another game where we won 3-0? 

13 minutes ago, wally said:

Personally, I would have kept Tammy (he didn't get a fair crack under TT) .

You would rather has persisted with a striker our manager doesn't rate rather than buying one he does because of his resell value? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, wally said:

Resale value should be taken into account when you splash out a massive amount on a player.

Yes, his goal tally so far has been up to par, but not his performances against the two top 6 teams he's faced. That's the point his critics have always held against him and nothing seems to have changed.

Name one club who has won the EPL with a flat track bully as their main striker? They get found out in far too many of the big games and that's why you don't see the likes of City or Liverpool going in for these  type of technically deficient battering ram strikers.I've never been a fan of this type of striker and I never will.

As for a better option? Well, that's the job of our scouts to go and find one. Personally, I would have kept Tammy (he didn't get a fair crack under TT) and fiddled through with what we have until we found the right striker.

 

Against Liverpool we were down to 10 men for a half, against Tottenham he should have had two assists and he brutalized Arsenal, who you've conveniently left out, despite being only one point behind Tottenham last season and having spent the most money in the PL. 

Also as others have said, our biggest problem last season was scoring goals against the "lesser" clubs. You're never going to win the Premier League if you can't score against them regularly. And so far he was vitally important in these kinds of games.

So to conclude: He did pretty well against the better clubs we faced, and very well against the "lesser" clubs we played. At least wait until he has a dip in form before you start complaining.

Edited by True Blue23
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Exactly. We need him foremost to win us games like the one against Zenit - games we will face pretty often - and not those matches where we have tons of space already when playing against another top-club.

Also the fact we start scoring from corners and set-pieces again without him being directly involved tells me that maybe he's helping us there as well since his presence in the oppo-box alone keeps defenders on their toes (his actually). Think it's been already three goals that way so far?

Now to link this back on topic to Reece James..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, turnyitb said:

Played pretty well tonight in a makeshift back 3 and it changed his angle of cross nicely for the goal. 
Would like to see him there with Silva next to him 

I never got the narrative we will waste him in that position, the majority of Azpi's best attacking contributions down the years have come from that role and as you said the crossing angles are actually better.

If we're still playing back 3 this time next year we should really consider resigning Livramento and moving James to RCB full time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/09/2021 at 13:53, wally said:

I am critical of Marina agreeing to pay 100 million for a flat track bully who'll have little resale value at the end of his contract. I think it's another awful, Kepa, level panic buy deal. 

Imo, we should have waited until we could buy a better value for money striker and in the meantime find a way of getting more out of our players who have far greater technical ability than this big lump.

tumblr_lpw091SkeN1qj9s1io1_400.gifv

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!