44 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

I was in the Shed to see Canoville come on as a sub for his home debut. He was subjected to horrific booing and racial abuse. It was an utter disgrace and I was ashamed and shocked at what the kid had to put up with.

It was the condemnation by Bates, John Neal and Pat Nevin that eventually saw the abuse stop during the 83-84 season. I was there when he scored a hattrick at home to Swansea a few months into that season, and the fans gave him a fantastic ovation. I've never heard any of our players get racially abused by our own fans since.

I was at that game against Luton and I don't remember him getting booed well certainly not like against Palace and the away game at Blackburn. I can't recall major booing of him after that but I do remember Pat Nevin's intervention. He played in the 5-0 against Derby and Brighton and Fulham away and I don't recall any booing at all.

1 hour ago, bluehaze said:

I was at that game against Luton and I don't remember him getting booed well certainly not like against Palace and the away game at Blackburn. I can't recall major booing of him after that but I do remember Pat Nevin's intervention. He played in the 5-0 against Derby and Brighton and Fulham away and I don't recall any booing at all

Edited by Ewell CFC
3 hours ago, bluehaze said:

I was at that game against Luton and I don't remember him getting booed well certainly not like against Palace and the away game at Blackburn. I can't recall major booing of him after that but I do remember Pat Nevin's intervention. He played in the 5-0 against Derby and Brighton and Fulham away and I don't recall any booing at all.

Backbiter mentioning Canoville came on as a sub, very much ties in with Mellor talking about what the people next to him did "when Canoville came onto the pitch." 

Anyway, tho we did have a large number of racist fans, they were, as I said before, more political than the base "paki bashing" rent a thugs other teams had. 

The worst for racist abuae in London were West Ham and Millwall. Up north, the likes of Leeds, Everton and Liverpool were all far worse than us, with abuse and bananas bring thrown onto the pitch. Could be wrong, but i don't recall Arsenal, Spurs or Man Utd having much of a problem with their fans.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11785966/tammy-abraham-kick-it-out-call-racist-abuse-of-chelsea-forward-disgusting

Maybe I'm being ignorant here, but it looks like they only look for stuff like this when it's our team, because racism and Chelsea is a narrative now. There aren't even any sources just one former striker who said "why is Tammy getting racist abuse", so on Twitter? I'm sure if you go on Twitter you can find racist abuse against anybody from any team. 

To me it seems like the media are making a mountain out of a molehill, a few stupid trolls are not the fanbase. 

I just did a search for Rashford + N word and can find a tweet from a United fan abusing him racially, I bet it happens every game but yet they are pulling this up now. They are trying to unsettle Abraham and Chelsea cause we are not like to have the nightmare season the media are preparing for.

Twitter is a cesspool, there are troll accounts with footballers as avatars that say edgy stuff for likes and RT's, always anonymous. It isn't just exclusively Chelsea either... 

The thing is Tammy will now see that as the headline and he'll actually think a lot of Chelsea fans hate him for the colour of his skin, when it's not the case at all, he missed, so what? It's a learning curve. This is just media instigating as usual, I know that might seem that I'm being ignorant but I seriously doubt Tammy would've known about this if Sky and everybody else weren't making headlines because some idiot behind a fake avatar said something. 

If there were actual racist chants at the game I could understand, but this is scraping the barrel. 

18 minutes ago, Drogba11CFC said:

I suspect that a lot of the tweets abusing Tammy could well be coming from overseas.

12 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Twitter is a cesspool, there are troll accounts with footballers as avatars that say edgy stuff for likes and RT's, always anonymous. It isn't just exclusively Chelsea either... 

I was just thinking about this and do try and avoid anything Chelsea related on there, other than the people I follow. That site is an absolute sh*t-fest for football! People claiming to be Chelsea (and whoever other team) that really are not, just to stir up as much trouble as possible.

The bad thing about it too is that the media fully buy into it (when they probably really know what is going) and make stories out of it. Once, the media used to come to sites like this and take quotes from (generally) proper level-headed supporters. Now it's all about taking tweets directly from randoms or from people that have no idea about the club and will be supporting Arsenal next year!

Last week, I saw one say how Chelsea fans are turning against Frank because the #FrankOut tag was trending. Madness!

6 hours ago, Mod Stark said:

I was just thinking about this and do try and avoid anything Chelsea related on there, other than the people I follow. That site is an absolute sh*t-fest for football! People claiming to be Chelsea (and whoever other team) that really are not, just to stir up as much trouble as possible.

The bad thing about it too is that the media fully buy into it (when they probably really know what is going) and make stories out of it. Once, the media used to come to sites like this and take quotes from (generally) proper level-headed supporters. Now it's all about taking tweets directly from randoms or from people that have no idea about the club and will be supporting Arsenal next year!

Last week, I saw one say how Chelsea fans are turning against Frank because the #FrankOut tag was trending. Madness!

So far all I've seen is one tweet, and somebody already mentioned it here, it was some random troll account with a footballer avatar with v13 or something at the end of his name, so clearly gets banned a lot. And he used a racial slur against Tammy Abraham, that seems to be the tweet that's surfacing around. Why even pay that so much attention? Tammy wouldn't have been none the wiser of some random loser on the internet trying to get attention, but now he's going to think there are actually a lot of our fans that hate him because he's black and that he's missed a penalty. 

I really can't buy into this media hysteria, if it were chants that would be something else entirely, but this is just one idiot (or maybe several) that have said some racist comments, we don't know who they are, what they are or if they're even Chelsea supporters. Now we've got headlnes everywhere, KickItOut taking action and Macus Rashford giving Tammy support, which is nice yes, but I really think it would be better in this case to just not give this person attention. 

That's not to say ignore racism, but I hope people can agree with me on this case that we just ignore trolls like this, it's really counter productive. 

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but at least two of the people being quoted from twitter calling Abraham racist terms are in fact black themselves. How does this work now? Or shall we still punish anyone white who supports Chelsea. Getting ridiculous the amount of crap being slapped on our club and our fans.

16 hours ago, Beancounter said:

There are racists in society, so it's hardly a surprise that some go to football. The club are doing their best but they can't eradicate it totally, society has to do that.

Society has as much chance of eradicating racism as they have with eradicating all the other bad things people think, say and do.  All we can do is have rules and laws put into place and punish those who break them.  

The media are a bunch of turgid c**ts they just love to stir up sh*t, especially race sh*t. Because they know it's gonna get everyone up in a tizzy, because it's such a touchy subject. Why would you take quotes from internet trolls for one, that's embarrassing that they would even take that seriously.

Pogba got similar abuse that Tammy got, looks like he actually got a lot more. 

Looking at the accounts seems to definitely be foreign accounts doing it. 

My concern is that the media backlash against Chelsea because of 3-4 attention seeking trolls actually has magnified the issue, rather than solve anything. Now every time a black player does anything, there will be tonnes of troll comments because that's what society is like now. 

Nothing you can do to fix it unfortunately and I'd rather they were just ignored and deleted. 

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Social media platforms like Twitter need to be held accountable for these kind of things, thats pretty much the only thing that can be done. They need to be overseeing posts to stop racist stuff getting broadcast. 

Not even that difficult or controversial to implement. 

Account created under 1 month ago or less than a certain number of tweets, using hate speech (identifiable easily by the words) then just place a block on the tweet and potentially ban the account.

It's easy because all anyone does after a match now is search Abraham + N word, or Pogba + N word and see what comes up. 

If it turned out Gary from Crawley who had been posting about Chelsea for 10 years had posted Tammy is an n word, then its different and trickier to stop...but that isnt what is happening. 

Social Media seems to be the biggest culprit in breeding hate, anger, bullying & racism, it offers people a platform to unveil the worst within them & I am unsure as to why that is the case, maybe the thought of being invisible behind a digital presence. I dont think its just new troll accounts but even genuine people who seem to use the platform to vent any personal frustrations. I had completely given up expressing any views using any of the main Social Media platforms and I got a slight taste last week to what I may be missing out on when putting forward a view on City's disallowed goal. The comments included myself not understanding Football due to my ethnic background or the Country I am from (The Country being England).

It's highly unlikely some of those people would say the same things had it been a normal conversation within a office environment for example, so I dont get why they believe they have the license to say such things on an online platform.