Sarri - In or Out?

coco
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Sarri - In or Out?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Sarri - In or Out?

• In
    • Out

Somehow we've finished third( which is par for the course given our wagebill) so objectives have been met. We have reached the final of the EL ( again par for the course) so it would be churlish to argue for him to be sacked. So he has to be given another season. Now about the entertainment value of our football, that has to be met next season.

Edited by charierre

Out

We are a very average team with one world class player in it, when he leaves which looks likely in the next few months then I fear we will struggle big time.

Sarri doesn’t play attractive or effective football (this isn’t Seria A) and other teams are improving fast. 

Mew mad ea huge struggle of getting to the Europa final despite playing average teams in the process and needing pens to get over the line.

Might be a nice bloke and all but he hasn’t won a thing in football and it shows badly when it matters at Chelsea.

Out. OSticking with my original view. Seems to be lots of short memories on here. Passing teams to death but no cutting edge, getting hammered 4-0 by Bournemouth (without doubt  the worst defeat of the season in my view). Same subs week after week and the main point he’s only started playing CHO and RLC in the last quarter of the season.

Out of his depth got to go.

14 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

Out

We are a very average team with one world class player in it, when he leaves which looks likely in the next few months then I fear we will struggle big time.

Sarri doesn’t play attractive or effective football (this isn’t Seria A) and other teams are improving fast. 

Mew mad ea huge struggle of getting to the Europa final despite playing average teams in the process and needing pens to get over the line.

Might be a nice bloke and all but he hasn’t won a thing in football and it shows badly when it matters at Chelsea.

As you put it we are a very average team, so how is he supposed to play great football in his first season, at the same time meet the objective of champions league and make loftus-cheek a first team player. Don't you think is best to wait until next year to have a better evaluation of him as a manager. This sort of inpatientence has led to us getting rid of salah, de bruyne etc

in, but that isn't to say he's been perfect.

reasons are:

-he's essentially a coach. his reputation is built on that. so joining so late before the season started, and having to play thurs-sun all season, has denied him of a lot of time to really imprint his methods. despite this, we've acheived the target of going back into the champions league, and we've made two finals.

-the squad is a mix of players suited to different styles, and a lot of the "best" players in the squad are past their very best (or on the turn). so even with a flatter track in terms of coaching time, this isn't the easiest set of players to mould. sarri signed one outfield player to add to this, and a further two on loan. he shouldn't be judged against most other chelsea managers under abramovich in this respect, as he has been afforded far less.

-I think a lot of people have an artificially large expectation of what this squad should be doing because antonio conte is one of the four or five best managers in the world. even those who may no longer like conte may suffer a little from this. sarri is a fine coach, and the football his previous sides in particular attest to this.

-I know there has been a lot of frustration about his reticence, or apparent reluctance to do so earlier, but this is actually the manager who put loftus cheek in. and he put huson-odoi in too, and had the welsh kid in ahead of cahill for a lot of the campaign as well. I'm not pretending there was no argument to do so earlier, or more, but credit where it's due here.

-finally, I know a lot of people point to guardiola's first season (with others assuming the implication is that those who do are suggesting we will canter to the title next season), but I'd like make two slightly related points:

a) recall pochettino and klopp's first seasons with spurs and liverpool. if you can.

b) we've met our minimum target, and yet we're still supposed to sack the manager? how is starting from scratch again going to help us? guardiola must laugh himself to sleep every night thinking about how right he was to reject our advances.

this is no way to run a club: allowing relations with a genuinely great manager (the calibre of which, be in no doubt, we can no longer attract) to sour to the extent we need to sack him; allowing our best player to run his contract down so we need to sell at cut price; sacking said manager too late to give the new one time to actually do any coaching or truly assess his new squad; then sacking the new guy despite his meeting minimum requirement with a hand tied behind his back, so the new guy can arrive to a club with no director of football and a two window transfer ban.

for those keeping count, we've done all of the above and you are proposing we follow that up by doing the new bit in bold. In the long term sarri might not be right for us, but keeping him for now is the pragmatic thing to do.

3 minutes ago, chi blue said:

In god's name go! Getting the impression match going fans like me want him gone, key board fans and sky fans want him to stay! Just my opinion

I think we should give him a chance next season.

2 hours ago, Shug said:

Problem is who do we get instead?

The problem is, who do we get in as the replacement when the replacement gets sacked, and who do we get in as the replacement's replacement? Alan Curbishley? Darren Ferguson? 

3 hours ago, chi blue said:

In god's name go! Getting the impression match going fans like me want him gone, key board fans and sky fans want him to stay! Just my opinion

If the match going fans got their way Jose, Cech, Lampard and Conte would have never darkened our door and Drogba would have been gone within a year.

Just saying.

There was a lot of negativity towards Drogba on this board in his first season. I'd like to see what Sarri can do with more prep time and more of his own players. We sure as heck need to sort out the striker situation.

On 11/05/2019 at 22:43, Sindre said:

One can do both. City and Liverpool have managed to do it and are now miles in front of us despite being far behind just two seasons ago.

Both spent on quality and quantity over several seasons, not just one. From what I saw above, you were suggesting that we do it in the one window. 

Also Man City was on paper still the best team in 2016/17 IMO - it was just that Conte caught the rest of the league flat-footed with the 3-man formation. 

On 11/05/2019 at 22:43, Sindre said:

And unless we do something about it i believe that, that gap will only get larger and larger.

For me it's not so much about getting results next season. We'll be without Hazard so i don't believe we are going to challenge for anything with Sarri at the helm anyways. But what i don't see from our current manager is a vision for where we are in the future. I think we have gone for the wrong kind of players so far under him (Higuain, Jorginho, Kovacic) who are all slow and not suited to this league and i think we have offered extensions to the wrong kind of players (Old Luiz, Alonso) and we have rejected bids for others that could and should have been sold (Willian).

Agree that signing Higuain/Kovacic for an extended period of time would be a mistake.

Jorginho has shown signs of improvement in recent weeks. 

Luiz was presumably given an extension in case the ban was upheld by the CAS. Giving Alonso an extension of that size was a mistake, but who was responsible - Sarri or the board? 

RE Willian, have we really rejected bids for him? I know there were rumours but to my knowledge there was never any concrete evidence that a bid was tabulated. Plus replacing him would have been a pain given the truncated transfer window and lack of proper pre-season given the managerial situation. 

15 hours ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

That’s the other issue

Still I think smart ass answers from people making a point of that in a dig at people on here is a joke. We’re not employed to find these managers people at the club are.

This is the same faulty logic that made Brexit happen. You can't just demand a huge change, ignore it when people point out the vast problems with that change and then just insist its someone elses job to solve them.

27 minutes ago, Kentonio said:

This is the same faulty logic that made Brexit happen. You can't just demand a huge change, ignore it when people point out the vast problems with that change and then just insist its someone elses job to solve them.

How is it? You’re voting for change but it isn’t your job to decide what that change is. You’re not paid to do so and any suggestions you made wouldn’t be listened to anyway. Same as with changing the manager, it’s not a fans job to find an alternative. Also just because someone cant think of an alternative doesn’t mean we should stick with Sarri, just because a fan can’t think of an alternative.

I voted remain anyway.

2 hours ago, DaRick said:

Both spent on quality and quantity over several seasons, not just one. From what I saw above, you were suggesting that we do it in the one window. 

It’s funny though, Liverpool literally threw darts at a board and bought Southampton players until they finally hit on 2 of them - Mane and VVD.  Then they got smart with some other signings.