coco

Sarri - In or Out?

Sarri - In or Out?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Sarri - In or Out?

• In
    • Out

16 minutes ago, DannyVblue said:

I wonder how many fans share this opinion...

https://www.talkchelsea.net/opinions/maurizio-sarri-an-apology/

I've personally wanted him to stay all season and felt the lack of patience among our fans was ridiculous. I know it's unlikely, but I'm really hoping that what has been written in the press is a a lot of rubbish and Sarri ends up staying for another season.

That article is spinning a pretty one sided narrative. 

"Seemingly unsupported by the board, the only permanent additions he was permitted to make to his team were Kepa and Jorghino". 

I mean it's not like we didn't spend £130m on just those two players is it? Players with skill sets specific to playing Sarri's preferred brand of football. No mention too of Kovacic arriving on loan, a player valued by Real Madrid at €50m. So Sarri had £170m worth of new players at his disposal from the beginning of the season. 

We then allowed Morata to leave in favour of bringing in Higuain on a six month loan. 

Sarri was back no more or no less than any other recent Chelsea manager in their first season. 

We achieved the goal of finishing top four but the quality of football and results (especially away) in the league we were getting at the beginning of the year is as bad as anything we've seen in the Roman years. It was a solid start to the season under the new manager bounce that kept us in touch of the top four... There's not many fans from a top club that would have kept quiet during a run like that with a new manager at the helm. 

11 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

"Seemingly unsupported by the board, the only permanent additions he was permitted to make to his team were Kepa and Jorghino". 

I mean it's not like we didn't spend £130m on just those two players is it? Players with skill sets specific to playing Sarri's preferred brand of football. No mention too of Kovacic arriving on loan, a player valued by Real Madrid at €50m. So Sarri had £170m worth of new players at his disposal from the beginning of the season. 

We then allowed Morata to leave in favour of bringing in Higuain on a six month loan. 

Sarri was back no more or no less than any other recent Chelsea manager in their first season. 

We achieved the goal of finishing top four but the quality of football and results (especially away) in the league we were getting at the beginning of the year is as bad as anything we've seen in the Roman years. It was a solid start to the season under the new manager bounce that kept us in touch of the top four... There's not many fans from a top club that would have kept quiet during a run like that with a new manager at the helm. 

You obviously don't share the opinion of the article - that's fair enough! I do think there are a number of fans though who were "Sarri out" in February that have now warmed to him a bit and would be happy to give him another chance.

You're right that most fans would be calling for the manager's head after the results against Bournemouth, City and Arsenal. It was an embarrassing run and really had me questioning Sarri as he was being so stubborn with his line-up.  It was obvious at the start of the season that this would be a transition year and there would be a lot of bumps along the way, so I kept thinking back to that during our poor run. I was happy to be patient and give him 18 months grace (barring a catastrophic season) but I know it's not that easy, especially if you're a match going fan who is spending their hard-earned to see us play (I was at the Arsenal away match and it was so so painful to watch).

Couldn't disagree with you more regarding being backed in the transfer market though. We were losing a world class keeper in Courtois (even though he's a snake and I'm glad he's gone), so he needed to be replaced. Kovacic (someone who couldn't get into the RM team) was only a loan deal - that's not really backing the manager long-term. And Higuain came in on loan as we were desperate for a striker as we'd let our £60 million striker leave on loan. Another short term thing, not backing the manager long-term at all.

The only signing which the board gifted Sarri was Jorginho. We lost £100 million of talent in Courtois and Morata, and brought in Kepa, Jorginho and 2 short-term fix loans. 

11 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

You obviously don't share the opinion of the article - that's fair enough! I do think there are a number of fans though who were "Sarri out" in February that have now warmed to him a bit and would be happy to give him another chance.

You're right that most fans would be calling for the manager's head after the results against Bournemouth, City and Arsenal. It was an embarrassing run and really had me questioning Sarri as he was being so stubborn with his line-up.  It was obvious at the start of the season that this would be a transition year and there would be a lot of bumps along the way, so I kept thinking back to that during our poor run. I was happy to be patient and give him 18 months grace (barring a catastrophic season) but I know it's not that easy, especially if you're a match going fan who is spending their hard-earned to see us play (I was at the Arsenal away match and it was so so painful to watch).

Couldn't disagree with you more regarding being backed in the transfer market though. We were losing a world class keeper in Courtois (even though he's a snake and I'm glad he's gone), so he needed to be replaced. Kovacic (someone who couldn't get into the RM team) was only a loan deal - that's not really backing the manager long-term. And Higuain came in on loan as we were desperate for a striker as we'd let our £60 million striker leave on loan. Another short term thing, not backing the manager long-term at all.

The only signing which the board gifted Sarri was Jorginho. We lost £100 million of talent in Courtois and Morata, and brought in Kepa, Jorginho and 2 short-term fix loans. 

9 hours ago, Munkworth said:

The media now say we’re trying to convince him to stay. I guess once they miss the latest ‘done deal by Thursday’ bullsh*t they can’t bring themselves to move the goal posts again so the back tracking has begun...

only The Sun, and its absolute bollocks.  Literally the same media said week or 2 back he told us he wanted to go, or offered to stay and was told no.   He is off.  I am 99% sure. 

I heard with my own ears him say "i love napoli but this profession can lead to different paths, but it wont change how i feel about napoli.  Thats why i went abroad first instead of straight to another Italian side out of respect"   I am sure we can all read between those lines, cant we?

Pedulla, whether we like it or not, has close ties to Sarri and he said way back early May that the decision was made.   I think Sarri and Juve have been talking for months myself

6 hours ago, DannyVblue said:

Courtois needed replacing yes but remember we were being linked with the likes of Jack Butland. Instead we broke the world record transfer fee for a goalkeeper. I mean, if breaking world record fees isn’t backing the manager what is?

Kovacic might have been a loan but Sarri clearly wanted him. Look at the amount of minutes and starts he had. His loan signing meant Bakayoko, a £40m investment left on loan, meant Drinkwater a £35m investment was exiled.

Kovacic may have only been a loan but his arrival meant £75m worth of signings from the previous season were demoted to accommodate him. And make no mistake, if Sarri were staying Kovacic would be getting signed permanently.

You say signing Higuain was only short term and not backing the manager long term but come on, who do you think pushed for that signing? By being willing to be so short sighted was backing Sarri.

Juventus sporting director Fabio Paratici is in London to resolve the last couple of stumbling blocks and finalise the release of #Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri. [Calciomercato]

I don't care if he leaves. I have said for a while now that he can't be sacked because he won a trophy and got top 4. However, I think his tactics are very poor at times and I don't think he will ever manage to adapt them to the Premier League. We have put in some atrocious performances under Sarri since the new year, some of our worst I have ever seen, especially the 6-0 loss to City and 4-0 loss to Bournemouth. We managed top 4 because of luck, not because we played well. We got top 4 because we weren't as sh*t as the others, not because our results were impressive. If that was any other season, we wouldn't have got top 4.

I don't believe he is capable of taking us forward as a club so I don't really care that he is on his way out. At the same time, I don't have a clue who I would pick to replace him. Lampard is too inexperienced in my opinion, but you never know, we may get lucky and end up doing a Zidane. Benitez, no. Erik ten Hag, I don't know how good this guy really is, he may have just got lucky with this Ajax team.

I really don't know in all honesty, we have gone through so many managers now that I don't know who the right person is for the club anymore.

If some reports are to believed Chelsea are denying Sarri leaving, prob. bs. but he's still here. Is this another Chelsea f**k up?. Seems Juve want him, he obviously wants to go and we are apparently arguing over a few Quid on his release clause. We will probably drag this on as per usual with a manager who wants out, players who dont know whats going on and no official comments from the suits.  SO f**kING CHELSEA OF LATE.

2 hours ago, Kev56 said:

If some reports are to believed Chelsea are denying Sarri leaving, prob. bs. but he's still here. Is this another Chelsea f**k up?. Seems Juve want him, he obviously wants to go and we are apparently arguing over a few Quid on his release clause. We will probably drag this on as per usual with a manager who wants out, players who dont know whats going on and no official comments from the suits.  SO f**kING CHELSEA OF LATE.

It seems more likely we are delaying because we want to announce the new manager at roughly the same time.

6 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't care if he leaves. I have said for a while now that he can't be sacked because he won a trophy and got top 4. However, I think his tactics are very poor at times and I don't think he will ever manage to adapt them to the Premier League. We have put in some atrocious performances under Sarri since the new year, some of our worst I have ever seen, especially the 6-0 loss to City and 4-0 loss to Bournemouth. We managed top 4 because of luck, not because we played well. We got top 4 because we weren't as sh*t as the others, not because our results were impressive. If that was any other season, we wouldn't have got top 4.

I don't believe he is capable of taking us forward as a club so I don't really care that he is on his way out. At the same time, I don't have a clue who I would pick to replace him. Lampard is too inexperienced in my opinion, but you never know, we may get lucky and end up doing a Zidane. Benitez, no. Erik ten Hag, I don't know how good this guy really is, he may have just got lucky with this Ajax team.

I really don't know in all honesty, we have gone through so many managers now that I don't know who the right person is for the club anymore.

We got top 4 because we lost only 2 of our last 12 games. We also got top 4 because we got something like 52 points out of a possibly 60 against the bottom 10 sides. We only lost to Leicester at home all season. 

Since the league cup final we've been really strong. I don't see how people cannot see that. My theory is that our fans are not unhappy with how Chelsea are playing, but unhappy with the game they are watching itself, that because it's more one sided it isn't as interesting to watch. We like seeing our team defend, and we don't see that as much anymore. 

My hope is that the work he's done this year will mean we continue to improve next year if we get a manager in who wants to play possession based football. If we plump for a manager who wants to revert to the counter attacking style that I don't think works anymore in the PL, then we will go backwards fast. But maybe that's what our fans want - a team that isn't so dominant with the ball which does need to defend. 

6 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Yes, I mean, losing 3 - 0 at home to Bournemouth in January 2018 with Conte on the bench was not embarrasing. I'm not saying that this year's losses have not been dire performances (and I was at the City match), but here we go again with the overstatements because it is Sarri.

3 hours ago, Kev56 said:

we are apparently arguing over a few Quid on his release clause. 

f**king good... we had to pay Napoli to get him we should be arguing "over a few quid" if Juve want him... he is our manager and under contract, f**k letting him go for cheap. 

3 hours ago, Kev56 said:

Paid £5m to get him here, and will probably need to pay a few millions to release our next manager from his contract. Can’t knock the club for asking for every penny, if Juve want him they need to pay what we are asking.

7 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

This is spot on. Can't see why people don't see this or refuse to see this. In my opinion it is very short sighted and a waste of time to keep a manager on just because he won the farmers league and got top 4, when we were expected to win the former and were very fortunate to achieve the latter. Will just ultimately hold the club back unless we get rid sooner rather than later - we'd just be delaying the inevitable keeping him on. 

7 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

If that was any other season, we wouldn't have got top 4.

That is a lazy myth.

In the last five seasons 72 points was enough for the top 4 in three of those seasons.

0.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

23 minutes ago, coco said:

That is a lazy myth.

In the last five seasons 72 points was enough for the top 4 in three of those seasons.

In fact, since the PL went down to 20 teams and 38 games, 72 points has been good enough for 4th in 19 seasons out of 24 ...  🙂

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Most of the time this points totals enough.

Edited by Argo

14 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Courtois needed replacing yes but remember we were being linked with the likes of Jack Butland. Instead we broke the world record transfer fee for a goalkeeper. I mean, if breaking world record fees isn’t backing the manager what is?

Kovacic might have been a loan but Sarri clearly wanted him. Look at the amount of minutes and starts he had. His loan signing meant Bakayoko, a £40m investment left on loan, meant Drinkwater a £35m investment was exiled.

Kovacic may have only been a loan but his arrival meant £75m worth of signings from the previous season were demoted to accommodate him. And make no mistake, if Sarri were staying Kovacic would be getting signed permanently.

You say signing Higuain was only short term and not backing the manager long term but come on, who do you think pushed for that signing? By being willing to be so short sighted was backing Sarri.

Sarri obviously preferred Kovacic to Bakayoko and Drinkwater - who wouldn't. With Ruben injured at the start of last season Kovacic was always going to get a lot of minutes. If Sarri had the whole world to choose from do I think he'd have gone for Kovacic? Maybe, maybe not. My view is that he was the easiest player to get at the time as there was no need for a transfer fee and Real Madrid wanted to sweeten us up as part of the Courtois deal. I wouldn't say that it was the board really backing Sarri with transfers. 

Sarri was definitely backed with Kepa , you're right. But I think we'd have gone for Kepa whether Sarri was there or not as we needed to replace Courtois. Kepa joined not long after Sarri, so I'd hazard a guess that he was already identified as a target before Sarri joined.

Either way, he hit his target last year even though some of the performances through the season were rubbish.

If/when he leaves, hopefully we get Lamps in because I think he's the only one that would be able to re-unite our fan base!

54 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Paid £5m to get him here, and will probably need to pay a few millions to release our next manager from his contract. Can’t knock the club for asking for every penny, if Juve want him they need to pay what we are asking.

What i trying to say is, supposing Juve play hard ball and refuse to pay the alleged 5-10m and it drags on and on and possibly falls through. We end up with what? Going into pre season again without a manager, or maybe one that doesn't give a sh*t, as we've had before. Meanwhile we may have a manager lined up who might think sod all this f**king about and move on.

Then again its probably all speculation and every thing will turn out fine, like it always does at Chelsea.

29 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

In fact, since the PL went down to 20 teams and 38 games, 72 points has been good enough for 4th in 19 seasons out of 24 ...  🙂

74.1%

1 hour ago, buzzcfc said:

This is spot on. Can't see why people don't see this or refuse to see this. In my opinion it is very short sighted and a waste of time to keep a manager on just because he won the farmers league and got top 4, when we were expected to win the former and were very fortunate to achieve the latter. Will just ultimately hold the club back unless we get rid sooner rather than later - we'd just be delaying the inevitable keeping him on. 

Who expected to win the league ? Lock them up quick !

44 minutes ago, Kev56 said:

What i trying to say is, supposing Juve play hard ball and refuse to pay the alleged 5-10m and it drags on and on and possibly falls through. We end up with what? Going into pre season again without a manager, or maybe one that doesn't give a sh*t, as we've had before. Meanwhile we may have a manager lined up who might think sod all this f**king about and move on.

Then again its probably all speculation and every thing will turn out fine, like it always does at Chelsea.

I agree.

I'm just hoping we can get a move on with whatever is happening.

To me getting in a manager before pre-season would be more beneficial to the club than haggling over a few million and having a messy start similar to last season.

52 minutes ago, 2211 said:

I agree.

I'm just hoping we can get a move on with whatever is happening.

To me getting in a manager before pre-season would be more beneficial to the club than haggling over a few million and having a messy start similar to last season.

Exactly, not like we've not wasted 100m before.

1 hour ago, coco said:

Who expected to win the league ? Lock them up quick !

Nobody mate? Don't see the relevance to my comment though?

19 minutes ago, Kev56 said:

Exactly, not like we've not wasted 100m before.

We’ve? 

Seems to me the club have learnt that two can okay at the same game. 

If if you think that the club aren’t working on all eventualities then sorry you are naive. Far too often the club have had to dance to others tunes because it’s what we wanted so had to play vast money this time as they say Chelsea holds the whip hand.