coco

Sarri - In or Out?

Sarri - In or Out?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Sarri - In or Out?

• In
    • Out

13 hours ago, Gentian said:

What a beautiful sunny day in London today and when i checked the score arsenal lost, man utd lost 4-0 haha amazing for us. 

Some of us looked at Solskjaer at the beginning and how well he was doing, some thought perhaps if we changed Sarri we could get similar results with a Solskjaer type manager. Grass always looks greener in the other side until it aint. If we get top 4 i would be delighted with Sarri as he has being the only manager in the Roman era  willing to play the kids, he has no potent striker, had no pre-season, changing the style of football to more attacking which is not easy in the first season. If we can add a decent striker and either ziyech of ajax or nicolas pepe providing that we are allowed to sign players we would be a very decent team next year as Cho and loftus cheek would be a year older and more experienced too. 

Just sitting on the karzi wiping the sleep out of my eyes. Thanks for letting me know that both Arsenal and Man U lost.

What a nice start to a the day.

55 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

What stature? 

We have the smallest stadium. The fewest international starters in our team. 

There is no reason we should automatically come top 4 when you have a settled team in Tottenham, united who spend more than anyone, plus city and Liverpool who are set up top to bottom perfectly. 

If we get 75+ points and come top 4 then that's a good season. Anyone who thinks it's Sarri who has prevented this rabble doing any better, is very misguided. 

Stature as in being one of the most successful teams in England over the past two decades. Stadium size means nothing.

This isn’t a Sarri specific problem but given our investment, previous success etc. we shouldn’t be in a position where we celebrate a top four finish.

We should be finishing at the top and we should be competing for the title.

Poor management and decisions from the club from top to bottom over the last few years has taken us backwards.

Sarri getting top four, I don’t think, should be what decides he stays or not.

I don’t think the squad looks healthy, I think there’s a lot of rebuilding to be done. Do I think Sarri is the right person to oversee the rebuilding? No. 

1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

We have the smallest stadium

West Ham and Man City were more or less given their stadiums Spurs, Liverpool and Man United extended there's Arsenal moved in down the road. We've had problems with the Bridge since the 70's due to finances, ground ownership, geography, councils, British Rail, the locals so having the smallest stadium is not that surprising considering none of these other clubs have had these problems to contend with.

21 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Stature as in being one of the most successful teams in England over the past two decades. Stadium size means nothing.

This isn’t a Sarri specific problem but given our investment, previous success etc. we shouldn’t be in a position where we celebrate a top four finish.

Poor management and decisions from the club from top to bottom over the last few years has taken us backwards.

I don’t think the squad looks healthy, I think there’s a lot of rebuilding to be done. Do I think Sarri is the right person to oversee the rebuilding? No. 

Agree with a lot if this, however I think sacking sarri even if we finish 4 and/or win the EL, will put us on dangerous ground. 

I appreciate we've sacked managers for a lot less, but in those situations, we generally had an excellent team. 

The squad seem fairly happy with him, he hasn't been too controversial, and if he meets targets set out for him at the start of the season, what grounds would the club have to sack him? 

The fan base is pretty split, but fans opinion has never impacted Roman's decisions before.

Also what manager would be keen to come here, knowing that top 4 wouldn't even guarantee them to keep their job, they will have a transfer ban either this or next summer, and Hazard is looking like leaving. 

How many of these young players would get a chance with a new manager, with this sort of pressure for immediate success? 

If sarri misses out on champions league football, then he hasn't hit his targets and coupled with some awful results and fan unrest, I think a sacking would be understandable. 

I'm very much on the fence, some of the perfomances, team selections, and an inability to tactically beat opposing managers really concerns me with sarri. However I understand it is a work in progress, there have been some promising displays throughout the season, and I would be interested to see whether things could improve with some better players, and a full preseason. 

19 minutes ago, big blue said:

Agree with a lot if this, however I think sacking sarri even if we finish 4 and/or win the EL, will put us on dangerous ground. 

I appreciate we've sacked managers for a lot less, but in those situations, we generally had an excellent team. 

The squad seem fairly happy with him, he hasn't been too controversial, and if he meets targets set out for him at the start of the season, what grounds would the club have to sack him? 

The fan base is pretty split, but fans opinion has never impacted Roman's decisions before.

Also what manager would be keen to come here, knowing that top 4 wouldn't even guarantee them to keep their job, they will have a transfer ban either this or next summer, and Hazard is looking like leaving. 

How many of these young players would get a chance with a new manager, with this sort of pressure for immediate success? 

If sarri misses out on champions league football, then he hasn't hit his targets and coupled with some awful results and fan unrest, I think a sacking would be understandable. 

I'm very much on the fence, some of the perfomances, team selections, and an inability to tactically beat opposing managers really concerns me with sarri. However I understand it is a work in progress, there have been some promising displays throughout the season, and I would be interested to see whether things could improve with some better players, and a full preseason. 

I agree with this. The issue some of our fans have is they think with a different manager we would be challenging for the title. They don't seem to realise we would be replacing Sarri with a manager with even less pedigree than Sarri and we would almost certainly be going backwards.

We have no automatic right to be top 4 with the team we have. But Im hopeful a second season Sarri will see some.improvements and some of our dead wood making way. We still won't come in the top 2 without a few key signings, but the football will be better. 

55 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

But who do you think is the right person to rebuild though? Mourinho was not. Conte the same. Now we want Sarri out when we dont even have DOF in place, new stadium cancelled, owner nowhere to be seen lately. Like Gary Neville said, we need to get rid of the weeds first if our team is to thrive again because if we get rid off Sarri same problems will occur again. 

48 minutes ago, big blue said:

It’s just a personal belief that Sarri isn’t suited to the job we need done.

We’re either going to need to move on some expensive flops and entrust youth to fill the gaps. Seeing how Sarri has marginalised CHO, RLC, Ampadu, Christensen for most of the season I don’t think he’s best place for a youthful team. 

Otherwise, we’re going to persist with what we’ve got because I can’t see us spending big to try and get back to being title contenders and Sarri’s shown it’s Sarri-ball or bust and on the evidence I’ve seen this season it’s not going to flourish into much more than we’re seeing right now.

21 minutes ago, Gentian said:

But who do you think is the right person to rebuild though? Mourinho was not. Conte the same. Now we want Sarri out when we dont even have DOF in place, new stadium cancelled, owner nowhere to be seen lately. Like Gary Neville said, we need to get rid of the weeds first if our team is to thrive again because if we get rid off Sarri same problems will occur again. 

I’m of the opinion that Roman is actively looking to sell the club.

That’s why he put the brakes on the stadium build because the selling price of the club suddenly goes up another £1b because the new owners will be lumbered with the new build when they might have other ambitions.

That’s why we’ve not hired a new DoF because when a new management comes in they’re going to want to make their own appointments for whatever vision they have for the club.

That’s why Sarri was appointed on a short term contract.

Roman’s only looking short term right now because he doesn’t want to be involved long term anymore and I wouldn’t rule out a sale going through as early as this summer.

16 hours ago, evissy said:

So Sarri Out-people a question: what if we make top 4 and win EL? Or even one or the other? 

I'm definitely Sarri out, don't rate him what so ever, when ever a question is asked in a big game he fails miserably whether it's tactics, team selection or motivational. I'm at bridge tonight and not sure of this one either, having said that if he was to win Europa and or finish top four then I will be the first to say he deserves another season, but at present I just don't feel it's achievable with him in charge, win tonight and Utd away then it's game on but really even though united are sh*te and have a clown in charge do we honestly think we will go there and win? Hope I'm wrong and Sarri achieves what we all want, he seems a decent guy, at least with Sarri we don't have the antics of Conte and Jose, but then again we won things with them

16 hours ago, evissy said:

So Sarri Out-people a question: what if we make top 4 and win EL? Or even one or the other? 

I'm definitely Sarri out, don't rate him what so ever, when ever a question is asked in a big game he fails miserably whether it's tactics, team selection or motivational. I'm at bridge tonight and not sure of this one either, having said that if he was to win Europa and or finish top four then I will be the first to say he deserves another season, but at present I just don't feel it's achievable with him in charge, win tonight and Utd away then it's game on but really even though united are sh*te and have a clown in charge do we honestly think we will go there and win? Hope I'm wrong and Sarri achieves what we all want, he seems a decent guy, at least with Sarri we don't have the antics of Conte and Jose, but then again we won things with them

1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

I agree with this. The issue some of our fans have is they think with a different manager we would be challenging for the title. They don't seem to realise we would be replacing Sarri with a manager with even less pedigree than Sarri and we would almost certainly be going backwards.

We have no automatic right to be top 4 with the team we have. But Im hopeful a second season Sarri will see some.improvements and some of our dead wood making way. We still won't come in the top 2 without a few key signings, but the football will be better. 

Heard Eddie Howes name been mentioned as a possible replacement for Sarri.

If Sarri meets the objectives for this season or not,I think Howe would be a fantastic appointment and certainly not a step backwards.

16 hours ago, Gentian said:

What a beautiful sunny day in London today and when i checked the score arsenal lost, man utd lost 4-0 haha amazing for us. 

Some of us looked at Solskjaer at the beginning and how well he was doing, some thought perhaps if we changed Sarri we could get similar results with a Solskjaer type manager. Grass always looks greener in the other side until it aint. If we get top 4 i would be delighted with Sarri as he has being the only manager in the Roman era  willing to play the kids, he has no potent striker, had no pre-season, changing the style of football to more attacking which is not easy in the first season. If we can add a decent striker and either ziyech of ajax or nicolas pepe providing that we are allowed to sign players we would be a very decent team next year as Cho and loftus cheek would be a year older and more experienced too. 

Agree re Solskjaer. This highlights the danger of letting the heart guide your choice of manager. If Sarri is “out of his depth”,  as the detractors like to say, what words do you use to describe Solskjaer? You can @ me all you want about Sarri’s lack of silverware (those scudettos he was supposed to win with Empoli and Napoli), but Solskjaer is literally nobody.

3 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

This is what Yorkley would rage against: entitlement.

3 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Stature as in being one of the most successful teams in England over the past two decades. 

And this is what I call scouserish.

You may be right on a lot of things you wrote about the club, ForeverCarefree, but those two statements make me shudder.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ray_Cfc said:

Heard Eddie Howes name been mentioned as a possible replacement for Sarri.

If Sarri meets the objectives for this season or not,I think Howe would be a fantastic appointment and certainly not a step backwards.

I think Eddie Howe would be a brave and exciting appointment.

But he's won nothing, he's never managed in Europe, let alone latter stages of a cup competition and the backlash against him would start very quickly. In terms of pedigree, it would be a step back from Sarri. 

Edited by bisright1

5 minutes ago, Valerie said:

This is what Yorkley would rage against: entitlement.

And this is what I call scouserish.

You may be right on a lot of things you wrote about the club, ForeverCarefree, but those two statements make me shudder.

Well Yorkley got himself banned for throwing childish paddies when people had a different opinion from him so care little for what that what man thought.

What exactly is “scoucerish” about saying we’ve one of if not the most successful team in England in the last two decades? Continued success brings you stature, how is this irrefutable?

Our level of financial investment over the last two decades means we should be a top club. Otherwise it’s poor management and poor investment.

I don’t think we’re entitled to be near the top because we’re Chelsea football club but purely from an objective standpoint of the resources we’ had available to us in comparison to the teams around us.

If a team spending £150m a year is finishing below sides spending a fraction of that, that’s failure.

24 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

I think Eddie Howe would be a brave and exciting appointment.

But he's won nothing, he's never managed in Europe, let alone latter stages of a cup competition and the backlash against him would start very quickly. In terms of pedigree, it would be a step back from Sarri. 

Sarri had won nothing either before he came.The only "Pedigree" he had to go on was his style of play.

Howe worked his way up from the lower leagues,he's an intelligent guy ,likes to play attacking possession based football and would work well with the younger players like CHO because his man management skills are exceptional.On top of that he's English and knows the league inside out

Unfortunately though you are right about the potential backlash against Howe if things did go wrong,that's why it's probably best he stays away from such a comically run club.

3 hours ago, Gentian said:

But who do you think is the right person to rebuild though?

Rebuild ? No manager has or will be given the power or time to accomplish any rebuilding of the squad.

The average length of stay for a chelsea manager in the last 20 years has to be something like 1.5 years at most.

Because we won a lot of major trophies in this time people assume the fast managerial turnover was a success, but with hindsight other factors were not taken into account, namely the fact that we had the best team in Europe and probably the World in 2005, over the next 8-9 years the core of that team diminished but were still good enough to win loads of silverware along the way, despite the high managerial turnover, not because of it. Now they have long gone and the replacements are largely not in the same league as those legends.

We clearly need to identify the next Terry,Lampard,Cech,Drogba,Cole..... before considering getting in a new manager.

12 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

If we make the top four it’ll be as much due to the failures of teams around us as any sort of achievement on our part.

Finishing in the top four, for a club of our stature should be a bare minimum not something to be celebrated but poor management has got us to a point where it’s become an aspiration rather than an expectation.

Should we finish top four I don’t think it’s reason enough on it’s own to continue with Sarri.

We have made a massive change to the approach of style in football this term. Massive. Many of our players are not suited to this football and I think that is partly what shows in the table and our performances. 

However Sarri doesn't play to win. Sarri plays so he can see his ideas on the pitch materialize. We are a club that won't wait for things to turn around. We are also the fans who won't wait another second to throw a manager under the bus. We are used to it. 

Sarri for me has brought us a new system that needs honing but also a new way of thinking. The latter part won't go down with anyone if we don't win things. 

I don't see us changing the manager and Sarri will be given another season. Which is fair. 

17 minutes ago, evissy said:

However Sarri doesn't play to win. Sarri plays so he can see his ideas on the pitch materialize

Then what the hell is is he doing at the club..

why would he not want to win.

Just to watch a game and say, that was a good idea. We lost but what a good idea I had.!!!

:1012:

30 minutes ago, Ray_Cfc said:

Sarri had won nothing either before he came.The only "Pedigree" he had to go on was his style of play.

Howe worked his way up from the lower leagues,he's an intelligent guy ,likes to play attacking possession based football and would work well with the younger players like CHO because his man management skills are exceptional.On top of that he's English and knows the league inside out

Unfortunately though you are right about the potential backlash against Howe if things did go wrong,that's why it's probably best he stays away from such a comically run club.

I'm not arguing that Sarri is better - although for me he absolutely is a better tactician, deeper understanding of the game and unlike Howe has experienced serious pressure (and come through it)

My point is merely if we got rid of Sarri, we'd have to drop into a pedigree below a manager who has experience of champions League football, coming close to winning major trophies. Howe is that manager. So is Javi Gracia. So is Nuno, so is Lampard. We won't be attracting Allegri at all. 

We won't get a manager who is a serial winner and we would end up gambling on a manager who hasnt managed in the top tier before - all whilst telling them if they don't make an instant impact they will be out. I don't think most Sarri out fans realise how dangerous this is for our club. 

At least with Sarri we'd be showing we give managers a chance. We'd show the players that they don't dictate who manages them (although there's few signs anyone actually dislikes Sarri like they did with Conte). 

5 minutes ago, M.M.B said:

Then what the hell is is he doing at the club..

why would he not want to win.

Just to watch a game and say, that was a good idea. We lost but what a good idea I had.!!!

:1012:

He is a bit of an idealist as is Wenger. In some extent so is Pep. Pep also has a massive hunger to win. 

Sarri wants to win don't get me wrong but he doesn't want to win like Jose (with any means necessary) he wants to win playing his style of football. He has said it many times. 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Well Yorkley got himself banned for throwing childish paddies when people had a different opinion from him so care little for what that what man thought.

What exactly is “scoucerish” about saying we’ve one of if not the most successful team in England in the last two decades? Continued success brings you stature, how is this irrefutable?

Our level of financial investment over the last two decades means we should be a top club. Otherwise it’s poor management and poor investment.

I don’t think we’re entitled to be near the top because we’re Chelsea football club but purely from an objective standpoint of the resources we’ had available to us in comparison to the teams around us.

If a team spending £150m a year is finishing below sides spending a fraction of that, that’s failure.

You claimed "stature" for Chelsea because we won a lot of silverware in the past 20 years. As Liverpool supporters are claiming a special status as well for their past glories, I'd say you were quite similar. Although the memory of winning prizes is sweet, it's not continued success as you call it, not any more. I don't have any numbers ready, but at the top of my head, of the teams above us, only Spurs haven't spent big (and when they did spend their Bale money, that didn't exactly win them glory). The other top 5 or 6 clubs are hardly stingy. All that money being spent on our squad is what's keeping us from sliding into mid-table, and not a reason per se why we 'should' be considered a top club, being title contenders season after season.

Football is a cyclical, and we're starting to struggle to hold on to the top 4 (or 5 or 6 even), and it may get even harder. I'm proud of our accomplishments, and I would still be proud of Chelsea without them. I couldn't care less about stature.

53 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

My point is merely if we got rid of Sarri, we'd have to drop into a pedigree below a manager who has experience of champions League football, coming close to winning major trophies. Howe is that manager. So is Javi Gracia. So is Nuno, so is Lampard. We won't be attracting Allegri at all. 

If Chelsea football club secures Champions League football for next season and this transfer ban gets suspended for this summer at least.We could easily attract a manager with the pedigree of winning trophies like Max Alligri.The club doesn't automatically lose its appeal just because Sarri got the sack.  

The reason why I think Howe could be a good appointment is the same reason why  Pochettino from Southampton to Tottenham was a good appointment.Plus of course it would be nice to see a young talented English manager get a chance at a big club for once.

More than whether he wins the EL or finishes in the Top 4, the concern I have over Sarri is his lineup inflexibility, his substitutions that have zero effect on a match, his poor man management, and his insistence to play his style no matter the opponent when it would be more prudent to set up differently to win a match.  He doesn't change a tactic during a game that isn't working in an attempt to get something out of a game.  

I don't think adhering to Pep's philosophy of "only working with 14 players" is prudent for us, and I don't see Pep using that philosophy himself this year......he's rotated players in & out for the four competitions they were in.  

I'm concerned about his inability to get the team to focus at the beginning if second halfs.  

I wish he had shown more enthusiasm for CHO's England debut to help build his belief and confidence.

I don't see any players beyond RLC that have improved due to his coaching, and if our ban is upheld and he's forced to use more youth, I worry that we will stagnate or get worse.  Or we keep the deadwood we have without any improvements.   Everyone raves about how ready Reece James is, but I do not have much confidence that Sarri will play a team with Christensen, CHO, RLC, Reece James, and Pulisic.  Maybe he will, maybe he'll surprise us, maybe he will change and adapt to the players he has...…...but he has not shown a real willingness to do that this year.

Having said all this, I want us to stick with a manager, I want us to get back to having the confidence to win, to see out games, to being a desirable place for players to want to come.  

45 minutes ago, Ray_Cfc said:

If Chelsea football club secures Champions League football for next season and this transfer ban gets suspended for this summer at least.We could easily attract a manager with the pedigree of winning trophies like Max Alligri.The club doesn't automatically lose its appeal just because Sarri got the sack.  

The reason why I think Howe could be a good appointment is the same reason why  Pochettino from Southampton to Tottenham was a good appointment.Plus of course it would be nice to see a young talented English manager get a chance at a big club for once.

We can forget the dream of the youngsters coming in if we got Allegri. Odoi may be okay because of the games he's got already but James, Ampadu, Mount? Forget it. Sarri is playing Odoi and Loftus more than Mourinho, Conte would have done and more than any pragmatic win now manager will.

1 hour ago, Valerie said:

You claimed "stature" for Chelsea because we won a lot of silverware in the past 20 years. As Liverpool supporters are claiming a special status as well for their past glories, I'd say you were quite similar. Although the memory of winning prizes is sweet, it's not continued success as you call it, not any more. I don't have any numbers ready, but at the top of my head, of the teams above us, only Spurs haven't spent big (and when they did spend their Bale money, that didn't exactly win them glory). The other top 5 or 6 clubs are hardly stingy. All that money being spent on our squad is what's keeping us from sliding into mid-table, and not a reason per se why we 'should' be considered a top club, being title contenders season after season.

Football is a cyclical, and we're starting to struggle to hold on to the top 4 (or 5 or 6 even), and it may get even harder. I'm proud of our accomplishments, and I would still be proud of Chelsea without them. I couldn't care less about stature.

Whether you care about stature or not isn’t really relevant. 

You keep talking about Liverpool but surely you can see a massive difference between a club that talks about history having not won the title in 30 years compared to one that’s won it 5 times in the last 14 years?

I mean if that’s not continued success what is? Even last season we won a trophy. Without checking we won something like 15 trophies in as many years, what other definition of continued success is there?

I’m not talking about spending this season in isolation I’m talking about since Roman bought the club and elevated the club. In the last 8 years only Manchester City have spent more than us on transfers. Spurs and Arsenal have spent less than half what we have in that same period and yet we find ourselves behind them?

That’s why I think we should be competing and not through some misguided sense of entitlement that you’re accusing me of having.