coco

Sarri - In or Out?

Sarri - In or Out?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Sarri - In or Out?

• In
    • Out

3 hours ago, forbzy said:

But surely Sarri takes some responsibility when we have so much possession and only manage 9 shots on target? Its all very well having a lot of possession but most of the time we do very little with it. Perhaps we don't have the right players for Sarriball, but we are unlikely to improve the options much in the summer (especially with the ban). I haven't seen much evidence that he has made significant progress with the players that we do have. 

Edit - Sorry for the accidental double post

3 hours ago, bisright1 said:

I think it's a lack of leadership in our defence. That second goal was diabolical. Burnley literally player the same style of free kick we do and no one picked up Barnes. The whole point of their routine was to give it to Barnes in that area. Sarri would have known that because we do that exact free kick. But Luiz, Azpi, Christensen, Kepa, clearly no one shouted in that back line. Or Jorginho didn't pick anyone up

Now we're on to shots on target? Sarri can't finish for the lads. I'd bet we've come away with 3 points with less than that as well. He's clearly made progress when we're now worried about shots on target not possession, shots or goals. 

Their 2nd goal was also not planned. He was having a shot on that and it happened to miss at one of his teammates. 

2 hours ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

Their 2nd goal was also not planned. He was having a shot on that and it happened to miss at one of his teammates. 

The set up of the free kick, is one where your striker stands in an offside position, you hit it to the back post and it's headed across in his direction. 

We do.it, it's quite common. Watch it again and you can see the aim of that free kick is to get the ball to the back post and headed across. 

It was shoddy defending to leave him free. 

So a point at home to Burnley is going to help us achieve our goals?

Only thing I can think is Sarri believes that. I know Jorginho gets no end of stick on here but at least on the very rare odd occasion he has a decent pass in him. WTF is the idea of bringing on Kovacic rather than Barkley? Kova the clown, who cannot pass, score or be any sort of attacking presence. Him AND Jorginho in the same midfield? Are we defending a lead against Frankfurt or something!? 

Then to compound it all Giroud on for Higuain. WTF again. Burnley at not interested in attacking, take off Jorginho or Christensen and go two up top. So what if Burnley counter and we lose, now a point is as useless as a defeat. We had to win and we blew it and Sarri did NOTHING to help us!

Yeah Sarri has cost us 3 points last night imo. Higuain looked good all game, I wouldn’t be surprised if he managed another goal or assist if Giroud was there too.

Last night was the sort of game you’d take a defender off and play two strikers. Sarri didn’t want to take any risks and it cost us.

Having said that I’d still give Sarri another season to see what he can do with better players, hopefully.

11 hours ago, just said:

Just an observation. Do you think that when Sarri goes in the megastore for his weekly shop that a member of staff could, just for once, steer him away from the baggy tracksuit section and towards the formal / casual menswear department? Just for a change. My missus is complaining that Sarri is crushing her life long held stereotype of Italians as being a trend-setting, stylish, cultured race of people with his dishevelled, homeless look.

Me personally, I greatly admire his dress sense and also his choice of central midfielders.

He always looks like he's just stepped outside of a weatherspoon for a fag....

So Sarri Out-people a question: what if we make top 4 and win EL? Or even one or the other? 
Non of that will convince me of Sarri being the right manager for us. It will only buy him more time or an improve contract till we sack him after the group stage matches of the champions league.

I agree with this. The issue some of our fans have is they think with a different manager we would be challenging for the title. They don't seem to realise we would be replacing Sarri with a manager with even less pedigree than Sarri and we would almost certainly be going backwards.
We have no automatic right to be top 4 with the team we have. But Im hopeful a second season Sarri will see some.improvements and some of our dead wood making way. We still won't come in the top 2 without a few key signings, but the football will be better. 
Haha, you reminded me of Jose's last season with us when we were losing games for fun and Jose kept on saying the squad needs big investment in order to compete. Yeah, we didn't make top four that season. Am certain you made the same above statements that time. You believed we will end up replacing Jose with a manager with lesser pedigree. And we still won't make top 4 with that squad!
Yeah, that was what eventually happened! We brought in a manager with a lesser pedigree to Jose, HE DIDN'T ASK FOR THE BOARD'S MAJOR BACKING IN THE TRANSFER WINDOW THEN, rather, he worked with Jose's average squad for that season, brought Moses from the loan wilderness, gave Aina a chance, signed an average wing back in Alonso, and he worked with the BOARD'S SIGNING Kante at the time and the rest is history.

13 minutes ago, wallosh said:

Haha, you reminded me of Jose's last season with us when we were losing games for fun and Jose kept on saying the squad needs big investment in order to compete. Yeah, we didn't make top four that season. Am certain you made the same above statements that time. You believed we will end up replacing Jose with a manager with lesser pedigree. And we still won't make top 4 with that squad!
Yeah, that was what eventually happened! We brought in a manager with a lesser pedigree to Jose, HE DIDN'T ASK FOR THE BOARD'S MAJOR BACKING IN THE TRANSFER WINDOW THEN, rather, he worked with Jose's average squad for that season, brought Moses from the loan wilderness, gave Aina a chance, signed an average wing back in Alonso, and he worked with the BOARD'S SIGNING Kante at the time and the rest is history.

I wanted Jose gone quite quickly actually. I think it's a failure that we didn't win the league 3 or even 4 years in a row and Jose is responsible for that. Our team at the time was the best in the country. I also wanted Conte gone in Feb last year. It was obvious the moment he didnt sign a contract extension something was off, he was falling out with players the moment we won the league.  

Sarri, I just think give him 2 years and see what happens. YOU were the one who suggested we bring in Nuno, Howe or Holland. ALL of those managers will need 2 years minimum before we can judge if they are successful. If we brought them in and none of them have competed in the same pressure that any manager we have hired since AVB has had. 100% I would back the manager for the first 12 months. 100% there would be a lot of people saying they are playing boring football / we arent competing / if we don't make top 4 they need to get fired after 6 months. 

Sarri hasn't even had 1 year yet, so I am waiting to see how our team actually performs next season before I start calling for his head. 

My biggest concern with Sarri is that he rarely out smarts managers with tactics. The only time I have really seen him do it is against City early in the season, and I'm starting to think it was a fluke at this point. 

You see coaches adjust their tactics to get a result against us, but Sarri never actually seems to respond to that, he just sticks to his original set up with the same like for like substitutions. Burnley in the second half last night was the perfect example of this. Sean Dyche decided to go ultra defensive in that second half, but we just stuck to the original plan, right until the full time whistle was blown. Sarri didn't adjust our tactics one bit to force the result last night and it's something he has been doing all season. You could see early on in the second half that we weren't going to score unless Sarri changed something, but he didn't do it, he never does. 

2 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Yeah Sarri has cost us 3 points last night imo. Higuain looked good all game, I wouldn’t be surprised if he managed another goal or assist if Giroud was there too.

Last night was the sort of game you’d take a defender off and play two strikers. Sarri didn’t want to take any risks and it cost us.

Having said that I’d still give Sarri another season to see what he can do with better players, hopefully.

Such a good post up until that point - then you went and blew it!!!

2 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Such a good post up until that point - then you went and blew it!!!

Agree re Solskjaer. This highlights the danger of letting the heart guide your choice of manager. If Sarri is “out of his depth”,  as the detractors like to say, what words do you use to describe Solskjaer? You can @ me all you want about Sarri’s lack of silverware (those scudettos he was supposed to win with Empoli and Napoli), but Solskjaer is literally nobody.
Solksjaer over Sarri for me any day. He knows more about tactics than Sarri.

I'm not arguing that Sarri is better - although for me he absolutely is a better tactician, deeper understanding of the game and unlike Howe has experienced serious pressure (and come through it)
My point is merely if we got rid of Sarri, we'd have to drop into a pedigree below a manager who has experience of champions League football, coming close to winning major trophies. Howe is that manager. So is Javi Gracia. So is Nuno, so is Lampard. We won't be attracting Allegri at all. 
We won't get a manager who is a serial winner and we would end up gambling on a manager who hasnt managed in the top tier before - all whilst telling them if they don't make an instant impact they will be out. I don't think most Sarri out fans realise how dangerous this is for our club. 
At least with Sarri we'd be showing we give managers a chance. We'd show the players that they don't dictate who manages them (although there's few signs anyone actually dislikes Sarri like they did with Conte). 

I will keep on emphasizing this to you. All the players love Conte, except the two players who thought they are bigger than the team and who feels they can dictate for the manger: Luiz and Costa.

You have no idea how incredibly bad that United team will perform if they have Sarri as there manager! Let's see if we can get the better of them this weekend.

He is a bit of an idealist as is Wenger. In some extent so is Pep. Pep also has a massive hunger to win. 
Sarri wants to win don't get me wrong but he doesn't want to win like Jose (with any means necessary) he wants to win playing his style of football. He has said it many times. 

If you can't set up your team to win ugly at times, you will never be a top manager!

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, wallosh said:
18 minutes ago, Stim said:
emoji52.png

You have no idea how incredibly bad that United team will perform if they have Sarri as there manager! Let's see if we can get the better of them this weekend.

And we will never have an idea so its not really a good thing to use to back up a statement. We can just look at their managerial records.

Half the members of this forum are better managers than Sarri cus their team changes will have us comfortable in top 4 without having to actually prove it.

Edited by Stim

We can forget the dream of the youngsters coming in if we got Allegri. Odoi may be okay because of the games he's got already but James, Ampadu, Mount? Forget it. Sarri is playing Odoi and Loftus more than Mourinho, Conte would have done and more than any pragmatic win now manager will.
Do you think Sarri is playing Odoi and RLC because he thinks they deserve to be in our starting lineup? I like to know your opinion.

28 minutes ago, wallosh said:
On 22/04/2019 at 11:29, Dean said:
Agree re Solskjaer. This highlights the danger of letting the heart guide your choice of manager. If Sarri is “out of his depth”,  as the detractors like to say, what words do you use to describe Solskjaer? You can @ me all you want about Sarri’s lack of silverware (those scudettos he was supposed to win with Empoli and Napoli), but Solskjaer is literally nobody.

you are entitled to your opinion, sir, though not sure how one backs that view up. i would also caution that i once thought Vialli was destined to become a great manager 🙂

5 minutes ago, wallosh said:
21 hours ago, Argo said:
We can forget the dream of the youngsters coming in if we got Allegri. Odoi may be okay because of the games he's got already but James, Ampadu, Mount? Forget it. Sarri is playing Odoi and Loftus more than Mourinho, Conte would have done and more than any pragmatic win now manager will.

Do you think Sarri is playing Odoi and RLC because he thinks they deserve to be in our starting lineup? I like to know your opinion.

Yes. It’s very simple, they get their first start against Brighton and we get a comfortable win, so they’ve been in the line up ever since then.

If Sarri was going to cower to fan pressure then Hudson Odoi would be a regular by Christmas. Easily.

37 minutes ago, wallosh said:
On 22/04/2019 at 11:29, Dean said:

qnisie0go4a11.gif

59 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

My biggest concern with Sarri is that he rarely out smarts managers with tactics. The only time I have really seen him do it is against City early in the season, and I'm starting to think it was a fluke at this point. 

You see coaches adjust their tactics to get a result against us, but Sarri never actually seems to respond to that, he just sticks to his original set up with the same like for like substitutions. Burnley in the second half last night was the perfect example of this. Sean Dyche decided to go ultra defensive in that second half, but we just stuck to the original plan, right until the full time whistle was blown. Sarri didn't adjust our tactics one bit to force the result last night and it's something he has been doing all season. You could see early on in the second half that we weren't going to score unless Sarri changed something, but he didn't do it, he never does. 

Sarri is stubborn but I think this is partly due to the players we have also. 

So a point at home to Burnley is going to help us achieve our goals?
Only thing I can think is Sarri believes that. I know Jorginho gets no end of stick on here but at least on the very rare odd occasion he has a decent pass in him. WTF is the idea of bringing on Kovacic rather than Barkley? Kova the clown, who cannot pass, score or be any sort of attacking presence. Him AND Jorginho in the same midfield? Are we defending a lead against Frankfurt or something!? 
Then to compound it all Giroud on for Higuain. WTF again. Burnley at not interested in attacking, take off Jorginho or Christensen and go two up top. So what if Burnley counter and we lose, now a point is as useless as a defeat. We had to win and we blew it and Sarri did NOTHING to help us!
I don't think he has a record of playing 2 strikers together.

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

He simply doesn't know how. I'm sure he's realized by now that his job is on the line, so at this point it's not even about him being stubborn like it was earlier in the season, he just has no idea how to adjust, he probably would, if he could. That's the kindest thing I can say about the man, I'm sure he's suffering but his naivety, incompetence and inability to adapt are causing this club some serious damage. 

1 hour ago, Remodez said:

Sarri is stubborn but I think this is partly due to the players we have also. 

Owner, board, manager, players.  All of them to blame for recent actions and inactions and performances.

But I think we all agree that our collective squad of players is better than our recent performances and league position. 

Where would we be if someone else other than Sarri had been appointed?  What if a different manager kept Kante in the defensive midfield role?  What if we had appointed someone more flexible tactically that was able to help us be more solid and close out matches.  I think Sarri has cost us more points this season than he's earned us.