coco

Sarri - In or Out?

Sarri - In or Out?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Sarri - In or Out?

• In
    • Out

1 minute ago, bisright1 said:

The statement that started this is that a manager who came 2nd in seria A with a points total that normally wins a league is worse than a manager who has won the league cup. So it's quite relevant. 

Did I say that? It's not relevant to me. 

The statement that started this is that a manager who came 2nd in seria A with a points total that normally wins a league is worse than a manager who has won the league cup. So it's quite relevant. 

Did I say that? It's not relevant to me. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Is that because Birmingham won the league cup in 2011?, what's that to do with the summer of 2019?

It's relevant because you're making a big thing out of the trophy thing. If it's as simple as appointing managers with a trophy laden track record then the likes of Big Eck and O Neil himself would be under consideration.

Edited by Argo

1 minute ago, Argo said:

It's relevant because you're making a big thing out of the trophy thing. If it's as simple as appointing managers with a trophy laden track record then the likes of Big Eck and O Neil himself would be under consideration.

I'm not talking about appointing any manager, IMO winning a trophy is a bigger achievement than finishing second on 90 points. Just because a manager has won a trophy doesn't actually mean I like them as a manager.

Sarri fans dont have to get defensive, I'm not even criticising the bloke, I'm just debating that finishing second on 90points wont be remembered for long at all.

Pretty simple this argument, finishing 1st means your the only winner, finishing 2nd means nothing at all, 

Or put it this way ask any player who looks back on their career what they would rather have, a 2nd place league finish? Or a cup winners medal?

Madness. 
A team winning the league cup doesn't even live long in the memories of a club's own fans! Let alone anyone else.
Haha, Liverpool fans will take winning the league cup and finishing fourth on the table than winning nothing this season. I will take that aswell.

6 minutes ago, wallosh said:
1 hour ago, bisright1 said:
Madness. 
A team winning the league cup doesn't even live long in the memories of a club's own fans! Let alone anyone else.

Haha, Liverpool fans will take winning the league cup and finishing fourth on the table than winning nothing this season. I will take that aswell.

No they wouldn't. If they did then they are mad.

No Newcastle fan would trade the memories of gunning with man united in the 90s for a league cup win.

I would happily not even enter the league cup. It's a pointless competition that I only like in the early rounds because we get to see some of our youth. 

29 minutes ago, luckywerthers said:

having 90 points and finishing second should surely only be remembered as a major disappointment

For me, this is the first year 90 points won't win the league. You can only beat what is in front of you and so whilst it would be a disappointment, it's not the same as failing or bottling it. You can't determine how well another club does in a league.

So yeah, disappointment, but it's not the same as finishing 4th and not competing. 

43 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

No they wouldn't. If they did then they are mad.

No Newcastle fan would trade the memories of gunning with man united in the 90s for a league cup win.

I would happily not even enter the league cup. It's a pointless competition that I only like in the early rounds because we get to see some of our youth. 

Thank god you're not in a position to make those kind of decisions.Only an idiot would would think a competition that gave the opportunity to win a trophy was pointless.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ray_Cfc said:

Thank god you're not in a position to make those kind of decisions.Only an idiot would would think a competition that gave the opportunity to win a trophy was pointless.

I don't know how anybody can say the league cup is a pointless competition, it was the competition that kick started our success in the Abramovich era. Ask every one of those players that won it how they felt about it, and they would tell you that it was one of the most crucial moments in their careers. If we lost that day against Liverpool, it's possible that those players would always have been nearly men.

Edited by Scott Harris

What I don’t understand is that Sarri is meant to be good at building attacking teams. The last 6 months, we have looked nothing like an attacking team. We’re struggling to create chances and score goals. In fact, today we looked scared to shoot. 

20 minutes ago, JM7 said:

What I don’t understand is that Sarri is meant to be good at building attacking teams. The last 6 months, we have looked nothing like an attacking team. We’re struggling to create chances and score goals. In fact, today we looked scared to shoot. 

This is something I am struggling with too. I thought we looked more threatening under Conte last season.

42 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't know how anybody can say the league cup is a pointless competition, it was the competition that kick started our success in the Abramovich era. Ask every one of those players that won it how they felt about it, and they would tell you that it was one of the most crucial moments in their careers. If we lost that day against Liverpool, it's possible that those players would always have been nearly men.

I was being a bit over the top. But my point is that I think you'd be a moron to prefer coming 4th or 5th with a league cup win to coming second with 90+ points.

On 26/04/2019 at 11:05, wallosh said:
On 24/04/2019 at 16:19, Desailly123 said:
Solskjaer has nowhere near the CV of Sarri don't be so deluded.  

I still can't think of something Sarri has achieved in his career as a manager, winning the Carabao cup final would have change my opinion about him a little bit though.

Sarri has done the equivalent of what Klopp has done at Liverpool, except Sarri had less time and less money to spend.

33 minutes ago, JM7 said:

There's some really strange issues I notice that I can't understand. One is players receiving the ball and playing backwards when there is space to turn. Willian and kovacic are very bad at this. That isn't how we should be set up and seems to be laziness. RLC, Kante, CHO, Hazard don't play that way. But they are surrounded by players who don't attack. I can only assume that this is an individual problem with the players struggling to adapt to the style and not a tactical decision. 

Regardless, positives from today is we looked better after half time! A draw is the result the team wanted and we got it (although I didn't want a draw) and next season we won't have kovacic anymore. 

On 26/04/2019 at 19:15, wallosh said:
On 26/04/2019 at 13:59, bisright1 said:
90+ points in serie A with Napoli is an achievement. 
It's a country mile better than winning the league cup and managing a Norwegian team. 

In the next decade, no body will remember that.

Absolute rubbish! Napoli fans will remember it as their best ever season. People will remember this title race for more than a decade, as we remember Newcastle Vs United, regardless of who wins. 

4 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

I was being a bit over the top. But my point is that I think you'd be a moron to prefer coming 4th or 5th with a league cup win to coming second with 90+ points.

4th and a trophy has more reward than second no matter the points total. Winners are never happy with second no matter what they may say to the outside world.

6 minutes ago, Desailly123 said:

Absolute rubbish! Napoli fans will remember it as their best ever season. People will remember this title race for more than a decade, as we remember Newcastle Vs United, regardless of who wins. 

I'd say the double in 1986/87 was Napoli's greatest achievement when Serie A was a league full of teams that were rated personally.

Just now, charierre said:

4th and a trophy has more reward than second no matter the points total. Winners are never happy with second no matter what they may say to the outside world.

funny that you posted this. On the US Broadcast, Arlo White was praising Don Maurizio's record at Napoli & how he kept Napoli finishing in 2nd. Graeme La Saux then interjected that means Sarri is just a loser

2 minutes ago, charierre said:

I'm not a player. I'm a fan. I'd rather watch us compete in the league for 38 games, for a major trophy, than see us win the league cup. Same as I'd rather see us in the champions League final than win the league cup. It's about the competition. Winning is great, but the league cup really is a competition you play your B team in until the semis

The league cup is a bonus. No one remembers it. 

2 minutes ago, robdog said:

funny that you posted this. On the US Broadcast, Arlo White was praising Don Maurizio's record at Napoli & how he kept Napoli finishing in 2nd. Graeme La Saux then interjected that means Sarri is just a loser

Which is only technically correct. Because it actually means Napoli won a lot. They just didn't win as much as Juventus that season. 

I'm not a player. I'm a fan. I'd rather watch us compete in the league for 38 games, for a major trophy, than see us win the league cup. Same as I'd rather see us in the champions League final than win the league cup. It's about the competition. Winning is great, but the league cup really is a competition you play your B team in until the semis

The league cup is a bonus. No one remembers it. 

Winners of the league cup will be remembered more than being 2nd best in any comp.