coco

Sarri - In or Out?

Sarri - In or Out?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Sarri - In or Out?

• In
    • Out

I was thinking about Klopp's achievments in Pool as Messi fired the beautiful freekick in to make it 3-0. He hasn't won anything. And as things are he will not win anything this season either. 

What he has done is he has brought in a system that works, have made excellent aqcuisitions and brought the belief back in the side. That is massive. To win a trophy you need luck as well. Injuries, timing and many other things. They are on a good path even if they come short of a trophy. 

We are certainly not on a path like that. Not even close. We lack of direction, director of football, to be more precise. With that person we can hire and fire managers with less risk. 

If we give Sarri another season we attempt on making something that sticks. Sarri needs to evolve and I hope he does. 

29 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Does look awkward at times, but I feel he has come a long way since start of season. Last night for example, he looked comfortable on the ball and even did a flick here and there.

This guy has no limits, you play him as a left back, centre back, defensive midfielder, attacking midfielder, he’ll still be one of the worlds best. What a player.

Last thing we need is more flicks :laugh2: it's one of the biggest problems this Chelsea team has aswell as set pieces.

41 minutes ago, Nibs said:

All about opinions. Don't get me wrong, that 1-0 was absolutely dire but it was Conte trying to prove a point to our Board that the squad he had could not compete with Man City. We lost and it was dreadful but if he had managed to get the 0-0, it would have been a masterstroke. Not my idea of how you play football and I don't agree with it but do fully understand the reasons.

The 6-0 on the other hand was a total embarrassment and pointed not so much at a coach who knew what he was doing and trying to achieve, but suggested that he didn't have a clue what to do and was out of his depth. Too many results & performances like that (and Bournemouth) and Sarri would have been gone by now. But as long as he's learnt from it we can put it behind us.

Even if we somehow pulled off the nil nil I would have still have been totally deflated because of how we set up, don't get me wrong the 6-0 was all kinds of awful (and had me develop serious doubts about Sarri but since the cup final things have got a lot better which has changed my mind to he deserves the benefit of the doubt) but atleast we tried to compete and miserable failed, that game the year before we basically skipped the trying bit and immediately bent over and accepted City's domination. We didn't have a better squad than City but we had a squad much better than going and playing like that, further emphasized by the fact either side of that game we were the better side against Barcelona twice despite losing.

1 hour ago, Nibs said:

All about opinions. Don't get me wrong, that 1-0 was absolutely dire but it was Conte trying to prove a point to our Board that the squad he had could not compete with Man City. We lost and it was dreadful but if he had managed to get the 0-0, it would have been a masterstroke. Not my idea of how you play football and I don't agree with it but do fully understand the reasons.

The 6-0 on the other hand was a total embarrassment and pointed not so much at a coach who knew what he was doing and trying to achieve, but suggested that he didn't have a clue what to do and was out of his depth. Too many results & performances like that (and Bournemouth) and Sarri would have been gone by now. But as long as he's learnt from it we can put it behind us.

I'm with Argo on this one. The 0-1 against City under Conte was the absolute worst performance I've seen from a Chelsea side in the past 30 years. So much worse than the 0-6 in my opinion. At least in the 0-6 we actually gave it a go and had a few chances to score. We got undone in that match by conceding early due to a couple of poor defensive blunders and a couple of word class strikes from outside of the box.

What made the 0-1 match so bad was when we conceded we made no effort whatsoever to try and get an equaliser. We were trying to hold on to a 0-1 defeat, which is pretty inexcusable. 

1 hour ago, dansubrosa said:

Does look awkward at times, but I feel he has come a long way since start of season. Last night for example, he looked comfortable on the ball and even did a flick here and there.

This guy has no limits, you play him as a left back, centre back, defensive midfielder, attacking midfielder, he’ll still be one of the worlds best. What a player.

Yes he is improving and his 4 league goals are very welcome just wish we had other better options too.

1 hour ago, DannyVblue said:

I'm with Argo on this one. The 0-1 against City under Conte was the absolute worst performance I've seen from a Chelsea side in the past 30 years. So much worse than the 0-6 in my opinion. At least in the 0-6 we actually gave it a go and had a few chances to score. We got undone in that match by conceding early due to a couple of poor defensive blunders and a couple of word class strikes from outside of the box.

What made the 0-1 match so bad was when we conceded we made no effort whatsoever to try and get an equaliser. We were trying to hold on to a 0-1 defeat, which is pretty inexcusable. 

Yeah for the 6-0 we looked in the game at 0-0 and 1-0. Then we just collapsed and gave up when it went to 2-0.  It was embarassing but that is the type of result that happens to teams that play an open brand of football. Every other top 6 side has had a result like that in the past 10 years. I doubt we will experience it next year. 

That 1-0 we never looked in the game. We never wanted to be in the game. Even more depressing as we had the ability to be in the game but didnt try. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Yeah for the 6-0 we looked in the game at 0-0 and 1-0. Then we just collapsed and gave up when it went to 2-0.  It was embarassing but that is the type of result that happens to teams that play an open brand of football. Every other top 6 side has had a result like that in the past 10 years. I doubt we will experience it next year. 

That 1-0 we never looked in the game. We never wanted to be in the game. Even more depressing as we had the ability to be in the game but didnt try. 

I had the feeling the players were annoyed with what Sarri was asking them to do that day, they were spraying the ball around and it looked great until one got intercepted and City just run off and scored. It then continued several times more. Got the feeling the players said afterwards we can't play openly against someone like City, they will tear us to shreds......... 

Edited by Strider6003

Just now, Strider6003 said:

I had the feeling the players were annoyed with what Sarri was asking them to do that day, they were spraying the ball around and it looked great until one got intercepted and City just run off and scored. It then continued several times more. Got the feeling the players said afterwards we can't play openly against someone like City, they will tear us to shreads......... 

Maybe, was an odd one. I'm looking forward to out next city game if Sarri is around next year. So far it's been a loss a win and a draw under Sarri. 

It's one of them things where you can't help but be fickle... 

Like I said earlier that even if we don't finish top 4, I want Sarri to stay, but if we manage to crash out and not win the Europa League, that just leaves a bitter taste in your mouth doesn't it. It's like taking candy away from a baby, so close and it makes you even more upset and angry at the gaffer. 

I do back him regardless, I want him here next season, but I apologise in advance if I have a meltdown should things not go our way, I'll probably avoid the forum for a while. 

My stance on Sarri:

•  Transfer ban - then look to keep him
  •  No transfer ban - and we reach top 4 or EL win, keep providing he is happy yet if he wants out let him go for compensation by his new club.
  •  No transfer ban and money to invest - what are his targets to improve the squad and do the board respect his choices. If not go separate ways.

40 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Like I said earlier that even if we don't finish top 4, I want Sarri to stay, but if we manage to crash out and not win the Europa League, that just leaves a bitter taste in your mouth doesn't it. It's like taking candy away from a baby, so close and it makes you even more upset and angry at the gaffer. 

I do back him regardless, I want him here next season, but I apologise in advance if I have a meltdown should things not go our way, I'll probably avoid the forum for a while. 

Pretty much where I am 

6 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Pretty much where I am 

It doesn't help when you see performances like that against Burnley, how can you inspire hope when you see that f**king gash? 

Ughhh, we were so good in the City and Spurs game aswell, and we went back to square one, I just want us to play with more sense of urgency, it's like the team doesn't know what they're doing half the time "Just pass it around outside the box until they get bored" 

1 hour ago, Slojo said:

If Roman & the board don't think he's the long term (next 3 years) guy, then I don't see how they can bring him back.  If he's not the guy, they aren't likely to buy the payers to play his system, and that means it's more square-pegs-in-round-holes football.  Even if the ban is upheld and he has to use youth & returning loan players, there's no guarantee they'll be able to play the kind of football he's trying to implement.  And since he has shown little willingness to adapt to the players he has at his disposal, it could be another frustrating season.

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

My stance on Sarri:

•  Transfer ban - then look to keep him
  •  No transfer ban - and we reach top 4 or EL win, keep providing he is happy yet if he wants out let him go for compensation by his new club.
  •  No transfer ban and money to invest - what are his targets to improve the squad and do the board respect his choices. If not go separate ways.

My priority list is like this:
- Wanting to sign Higuain and Kovacic for next season: Sacked in the morning song and good riddance
- Top 4: keep him!
- Europa League title: keep him!
- Below top 4 and no Europa League title: Arrivederci

46 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

My priority list is like this:
- Wanting to sign Higuain and Kovacic for next season: Sacked in the morning song and good riddance
- Top 4: keep him!
- Europa League title: keep him!
- Below top 4 and no Europa League title: Arrivederci

Exactly that. 

Who in their right mind would keep higuain and kovacic!

Champions league is a priority since we are so close, either by winning uefa cup or top 4. 

If we cant achieve that at this stage of the season and the position we are in, i dont know how Sarri will be able to motivate the team next season minus Hazard. 

How about four league wins in as many months while losing 7-1 on aggregate to two mid table teams in a week? How about approaching the game at The Ethiad like we were San Marino?
Conte did an incredible job in the title winning season, however the excuses for the second season are almost as comical as the one's made for Torres.
Haha, I will take that over playing an attacking game against City as if City is Bolton and eventually losing 6:0.

I would say that defeat under Conte is the worst I've ever felt as a fan, worse than anything under Sarri, Scolari, AVB, the early 90's and even in 15/16. I'm talking the isolated circumstance obviously the whole season wasn't worse than 15/16.
I can accept defensive football, I can accept losing outright to a better team but I can't accept what happened that day, we went to keep the scoreline down and nothing else, even the sh*ttest teams go there with some sort of plan to try and nick something.
Yeah. We went there and tried to nick something this season, and the next day, the embarrassing scoreline was the headlines of all newspapers all over the world. Thanks very much for enjoying that.

Maybe, was an odd one. I'm looking forward to out next city game if Sarri is around next year. So far it's been a loss a win and a draw under Sarri. 
Actually am looking forward to our next game against City, specifically at the Etihad, I want to see if Sarri will still play the same attacking game just to satisfy you and Argo, I will like to see what the scoreline will be.

You don't need to avoid the forum. After the match against Liverpool, if someone told me we wont lose our next two games away to United and Frankfurt, I will doubt it. Drawing those two games have given me the confidence that we will finish the season in the top 4 position and we certainly will play in the Europa league final. If those two happen, then this season has been a good season for us, qualifying for the champions league and playing in two cup finals. I think that guarantees Sarri keeps his job.
But watch out, if you think we were bad in Conte's second season when we competed in the champions league and won the Fa cup but finished 5th, I dread to see how bad we will be next season under Sarri!

On 01/05/2019 at 09:22, drjonesy1994 said:

The refusal to give Conte any kind of credit on this forum is absolutely staggering.

Conte pissed me off during last season, but no denying he was a winning manager and that unexpected title win under him and messing up the pep/Jose media roadshow, and the feeling at Wembley after beating the mancs again will live long in the memory, comparing Conte to Sarri is like comparing a Ferrari with a 1970 fiat 500

18 hours ago, bisright1 said:

Brilliant. Absolute Classic!!!

42 minutes ago, wallosh said:
21 hours ago, Argo said:
I would say that defeat under Conte is the worst I've ever felt as a fan, worse than anything under Sarri, Scolari, AVB, the early 90's and even in 15/16. I'm talking the isolated circumstance obviously the whole season wasn't worse than 15/16.
I can accept defensive football, I can accept losing outright to a better team but I can't accept what happened that day, we went to keep the scoreline down and nothing else, even the sh*ttest teams go there with some sort of plan to try and nick something.

Yeah. We went there and tried to nick something this season, and the next day, the embarrassing scoreline was the headlines of all newspapers all over the world. Thanks very much for enjoying that.

I never said I enjoyed it, but it's the lesser evil compared to going there and setting up like San Marino and defending a narrow defeat from the offset.

I may have just been able to just about get over it it if we attacked and tried to equalise after Bernardo's goal but if anything we got even more defensive which is totally inexcusable (yes I would have rather got battered from that point on trying to get something than submitting like a small time Sunday league team accepting our fate), the tactics that day was worse than anything I've ever seen from a Chelsea manager and my friends Dad (who witnessed Ian Portfield's spell on all its 'glory') said exactly the same.

I never said I enjoyed it, but it's the lesser evil compared to going there and setting up like San Marino and defending a narrow defeat from the offset.
I may have just been able to just about get over it it if we attacked and tried to equalise after Bernardo's goal but if anything we got even more defensive which is totally inexcusable (yes I would have rather got battered from that point on trying to get something than submitting like a small time Sunday league team accepting our fate), the tactics that day was worse than anything I've ever seen from a Chelsea manager and my friends Dad (who witnessed Ian Portfield's spell on all its 'glory') said exactly the same.
Most City fans already forgot they narrowly beat us 1:0 last season, but 10 years to this time, they will never forget 6:0 same way United fans never forget beating Arsenal 8:2.
Not even Rotherham will lose 6:0 to City.

19 minutes ago, wallosh said:

Most City fans already forgot they narrowly beat us 1:0 last season, but 10 years to this time, they will never forget 6:0 same way United fans never forget beating Arsenal 8:2.
Not even Rotherham will lose 6:0 to City.

who cares about what they remember, what matters is that we have made the transition from a team that sits deep without the ball, to a team trying to play high up the pitch with the ball. something we all wanted by and large, but some people have short memories.

19 hours ago, bisright1 said:

Yes quite right every top 6 side has a result like the 6-0 every 10 years, with a heavy defeat and poor performance problem is this manager and his inept tactics happed at Bournemouth, Wolves, Spurs and Arsenal all in the space of 3 months, and if we stick with him be prepared for some more next season, out of his depth simple as.