Sarri - In or Out?

Sarri - In or Out?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Sarri - In or Out?

• In
    • Out

Posted (edited)
On 04/05/2019 at 12:08, chi blue said:

Yes quite right every top 6 side has a result like the 6-0 every 10 years, with a heavy defeat and poor performance problem is this manager and his inept tactics happed at Bournemouth, Wolves, Spurs and Arsenal all in the space of 3 months, and if we stick with him be prepared for some more next season, out of his depth simple as. 

Inept tactics? I'm sorry but what I saw were defensive errors and player-related issues. He earned enough credit with the solid streak at the beginning of the season to fully commit to his system. It didn't work out and then we became more circumspect. All expected give the caliber and style of players we have and the way Sarri wants the team to play.

On 04/05/2019 at 12:16, chi blue said:

Coco with the greatest respect mate, the only end I see us playing is pissing about with the ball around our penalty area. It's hardly Ajax this season. There second half performance at Juve and first half performance at sh*te Hart lane were best two halfs I've seen all season. Can we honestly see Sarri turning us into that, appreciate we don't have the players but I  just can't trust him, hope I'm wrong, I've said before seems decent guy, but to many mistakes.

We've had periods of brilliant football this season. I've seen enough from what he's done with this group (considering the lack of creativity and goals in the squad) to be hopeful. And yet we still had performances like the final against City where we not only made it a close game but we completely outperformed them for a good percentage of the match.

On 04/05/2019 at 16:53, chi blue said:

The most pleasing thing for me in the game was how RLC seemed to drive us on, very promising

Another thing that will seemingly never earn Sarri any credit. RLC this season is a different beast to what came before. Sarri demanded more awareness and defensive nous. I now see a well-rounded midfielder and not a 'moments' player. 

Edited by venom2011

8 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

I want to see high intensity attacking football. Lots of one touch passing, running off the ball, quick attacks and counter attacks. Out of possession i want us hunting in packs desperate to get the ball back. I want us to have some general attacking intent from set pieces. I want an even spread of work across the group and a togetherness amongst them. I want to see progression in our development where a clear philosphy and a distinctive style is building. I want to see young players growing into the side, getting a fair crack of the whip.  and us therefore playing the players that are most in form , rather than cronyism.

Bring all that and i don't care who is the manager, Sarri, Frank or anybody else.

So did the majority of fans at the beginning of the season. But always try to temper your expectations with the reality of the players you have at your disposal. And for Christ's sake don't tear everything apart at the first sign of trouble.

I want to see the club build a solid structure. Hire a DoF that matches Sarri's and the club's agreed philosophy, Remove unnecessary obstacles for youth player progression, Sell deadwood/backup players, End the short-termism and give whichever manager a reasonable term with adequate backing - this will in time filter down to the currently hostile fan base, identify current cracks in the squad, target new players suited to the philosophy and lastly have greater transparency with regards to the targets for the season ahead.

3 hours ago, comtrend said:

I kinda want to see Sarri gone, because I want to see us drop the deep laying playmaker role and Jorginho. I rather change Kantes position and have him help out more with recovering the ball and defending. Add a couple of midfielder with goals in them next to him. I also don't want Higuain and Kovacic back for next season, wich has a good chance to happen with Sarri in charge.

Our defence being affected by Kante playing higher up the field is a huge myth IMO. Looking at the stats we have pretty much conceded around the same amount of goals as last season when Kante was playing deeper. I personally think, and you don't have to agree, that putting Kante in defensive midfield isn't going to change anything. Our defensive woes this season and last season have more to do with the defensive line if anything.

3 minutes ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

Our defence being affected by Kante playing higher up the field is a huge myth IMO. Looking at the stats we have pretty much conceded around the same amount of goals as last season when Kante was playing deeper. I personally think, and you don't have to agree, that putting Kante in defensive midfield isn't going to change anything. Our defensive woes this season and last season have more to do with the defensive line if anything.

I think Matic and Kante last season were a mismatch in M/F, Matic wanted a midfielder that was close to him to form a defensive wall yet Kante was often at the other end of the pitch chasing down the ball. This was why Matic was keen to go to Man U. I think Kante would be best in either a two man midfield or a midfield four. Can't see any of those options for us next season so will be interesting to see what happens.

No pre-season

No top class striker

First time managing outside of Italy

Top 4 finish, runners up in the League Cup and a good chance to make the Europa League Final. We also have two players from our academy in RLC and Hudson-Odoi who have basically broken into the first 11

He's made mistakes, been stubborn and been frustrating at times but has actually done a very good job to be fair to him

You also have to take into account the fact that he's playing a completely different system to what this squad is used to and that takes time

3 minutes ago, Sparkz said:

No pre-season

No top class striker

First time managing outside of Italy

Top 4 finish, runners up in the League Cup and a good chance to make the Europa League Final. We also have two players from our academy in RLC and Hudson-Odoi who have basically broken into the first 11

He's made mistakes, been stubborn and been frustrating at times but has actually done a very good job to be fair to him

You also have to take into account the fact that he's playing a completely different system to what this squad is used to and that takes time

All good points above yet I also think he has bended to the reactions of the fans and media, this might also be seen as a sign of strength a willingness to be flexible.

For me he deserves another season at least until xmas 2019.

17 minutes ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

I dont think you can look at 2 seasons and just look at goals conceded. Watching Chelsea this season we have looked fragile at the back, most games we have looked like conceding. It how easy teams get into situations and how close they come to scoring but misplace the final pass or even the final 2 passes. I think it's too easy to look at goals conceding or even chances created, watching the football games is far more conclusive.

It's always the easiest solution that's the answer most fans give to problems. The player on the bench/not playing, the player being played out of position, back to the old system etc etc.

So let's say Sarri moves Kante deeper, well Kante isn't great at receiving the ball under pressure and his pass direction and weighting is not the best. So Sarri now has to change the system to a 2 midfielder system. Scrub the system he was specifically brought here to implement. Kante in a 3 was the most effective right-side presser, now we lack a very useful tool to play progressive football. So then let's be positive and say the 4 attackers would be Higuain/Giroud, Hazard, RLC and Pedro. The only half decent presser there, is Pedro. So either we're going to have a huge disconnect/spaces between the defensive line and attack, increasing the likelihood of our not so great defenders (Rudiger aside) being 1v1 more often; or we have to defend deeper and restrict our pressing.

If we play the deeper, more compact 2 man midfield system, well then (abandoned philosophy aside) that can work if we counter well. But wait, firstly we have two of the slowest strikers in the league at our disposal and secondly our defence struggles to soak up pressure. Not the best options for the counter. And at the end of the day we still sit with some bad defenders, lack of creativity and not enough goals scorers.

And that kids is why changing the whole f-ing system to accommodate Kante wasn't feasible.

We’ve scraped into the top 4 cus Spuds took their eye of the ball, United luckily made the mistake of making Olly permanent manager based upon actually nothing much at all, and the Arsenal tanking at the finish line as per usual. Sarri has achieved the minimum requirement top 4, if he goes on to win the EL fair enough - he’s improved upon last years 6th & a trophy. One things for sure he’s so far not shown he’s up to the elite level we’ve become mostly accustomed to. Let’s see how he does without Eden next season as he is certain to stay now. 

He should get another year there's no point changing the system now anyway.I think this year was a learning curve for Sarri in England a bit like Guardiola in his first year with the Mancs.He got the minimum requirement out of a squad that is lacking in key areas especially up front.

He has made two youth team products first team regulars,got us to a league cup final(Unlucky to lose),there's a great chance of finishing 3rd and two games away from winning the Europa league.

All we need now is fifa to f**k off with the transfer ban and Sarri can sign the players we need in the summer and hopefully next year we will be challenging for the league and Champions League again.

8 hours ago, General said:

We’ve scraped into the top 4 cus Spuds took their eye of the ball, United luckily made the mistake of making Olly permanent manager based upon actually nothing much at all, and the Arsenal tanking at the finish line as per usual. Sarri has achieved the minimum requirement top 4, if he goes on to win the EL fair enough - he’s improved upon last years 6th & a trophy. One things for sure he’s so far not shown he’s up to the elite level we’ve become mostly accustomed to. Let’s see how he does without Eden next season as he is certain to stay now. 

You are really positive aren't you! 🤣🤣🤣

Despite being a very frustrating season we have achieved what was expected and integrated home grown players so this has been a successful season.

Obviously losing Hazard with an embargo could set us back next season and if that is the case we will be lucky to finish top 4 and get anywhere close to winning a trophy.

We need to be able to allow Sarri to build a team while we can attract elite level players so fingers crossed the embargo is lifted for the summer.

He should still go.
We haven’t looked good on any consistent basis since September. Surely, you’d like to see development to stick with someone?
Sure, we clinched top 4 but that was mostly down to Eden Hazard and our rivals being bottlers. It sure wasn’t down to us going on a great run. We’ve only won two out of our last five games.

Even yesterday we were the worse side at home to Watford until we got two set-piece goals that changed the game.

As frustrating as this season has been, I think we have to give Sarri credit for somehow getting us into the top 4. That is a massive achievement and I’m sure the club financially will be extremely pleased. 

Sarri will need to up his game massively next season with CL and I’m sure a more competitive top 6. I can’t see the top 6 being as poor again as they were this season. 

9 hours ago, venom2011 said:

It's always the easiest solution that's the answer most fans give to problems. The player on the bench/not playing, the player being played out of position, back to the old system etc etc.

So let's say Sarri moves Kante deeper, well Kante isn't great at receiving the ball under pressure and his pass direction and weighting is not the best. So Sarri now has to change the system to a 2 midfielder system. Scrub the system he was specifically brought here to implement. Kante in a 3 was the most effective right-side presser, now we lack a very useful tool to play progressive football. So then let's be positive and say the 4 attackers would be Higuain/Giroud, Hazard, RLC and Pedro. The only half decent presser there, is Pedro. So either we're going to have a huge disconnect/spaces between the defensive line and attack, increasing the likelihood of our not so great defenders (Rudiger aside) being 1v1 more often; or we have to defend deeper and restrict our pressing.

If we play the deeper, more compact 2 man midfield system, well then (abandoned philosophy aside) that can work if we counter well. But wait, firstly we have two of the slowest strikers in the league at our disposal and secondly our defence struggles to soak up pressure. Not the best options for the counter. And at the end of the day we still sit with some bad defenders, lack of creativity and not enough goals scorers.

And that kids is why changing the whole f-ing system to accommodate Kante wasn't feasible.

The problem is that the media see a certain thing & want that thing to be a reality. Many feel that Kante is a perfect fit for Don Maurizio's #5, but Don Maurizio really trust Jorginho. The media is going to run with their narrative have yelled this as a fact ever since the season kicked off. I am sure when Don Maurizio leaves Chelsea, talking heads will point for at not playing Kante as a DLP.

10 hours ago, General said:

What is it with this site and miserablist fans? It’s as though being ultra sceptical and pesssimistic somehow has more levity than a positive outlook.

Cheer up. It might never happen.

59 minutes ago, Sindre said:

He should still go.
We haven’t looked good on any consistent basis since September. Surely, you’d like to see development to stick with someone?
Sure, we clinched top 4 but that was mostly down to Eden Hazard and our rivals being bottlers. 

This notion is getting ridiculous.

As someone else pointed out, 20 out of 23 PL season's 71 points is enough for top four. It's easy to say we are only in because United and Arsenal turned to sh*t but by the same token it can be said they are only close to us because they both had a two month purple patch.

3 minutes ago, Argo said:

This notion is getting ridiculous.

As someone else pointed out, 20 out of 23 PL season's 71 points is enough for top four. It's easy to say we are only in because United and Arsenal turned to sh*t but by the same token it can be said they are only close to us because they both had a two month purple patch.

I mean, so did we. We just had our patch at the start of the season.
We have quite frankly looked average to poor in the league since before Christmas. I don't see any real positive signs going into next season with this manager and playing-style without Hazard for example. I think we will struggle and that we will be way to easy to contain for our opposition.

The so called Sarri-ball was really hyped, but in terms of style of football it's been one of the dullest seasons i can remember. To call it boring would be an understatement.

Posted (edited)

I thought that he was finished in February (managers whose sides go down by big margins regularly rarely recover), but ultimately he's done the bare minimum - he's improved on our points tally from last season and achieved CL qualification.

RE our style of play, our CB's still tend to lump it long or pass it to the sidebacks too often compared to his Napoli side, but there has been an overall improvement in playing out from the back compared to Conte's time. He has also developed RLC and to a lesser extent CHO, whereas Conte was less about developing players than playing them in correct positions. Our problems have been less about regressing in terms of playing style than unsuitable players, a lack of firepower and at times a stubborn approach to formations/team management. 

The transfer window ban is potentially a big problem, especially with Hazard likely leaving. Sarri could also easily turn into an LVG - fixating on possession to the point where his side completely fails to penetrate, as has happened at times this season - but like LVG he has just about done enough to give him the benefit of the doubt after his first season. A Director of Football will be important though - I'm not convinced that giving Sarri complete control of transfers will work out (assuming we can actually buy players).

The problem with wanting Sarri out at this point is that you would need to replace him with someone suitable and willing. So who is your replacement? Certainly IMO not Howe or Mourinho. Likely not Laurent Blanc. Favre's Dortmund have fallen off markedly in recent months. Galtier at Lille has adopted a more counter-attacking style this season, and would be a big risk given his past record. I wouldn't have minded Jardim at the start of the season, but he plays with a more counter-attacking style and has recently struggled at Monaco. All that said, I'm open to suggestions.

EDIT: RE people proposing Frank, going from a Championship side to a PL side is a massive ask. RDM came 2nd with West Brom in the Championship, but has a mixed record (to put it politely) in the PL. OGS had more PL experience than Frank when he became manager of Man U but nobody's citing his record as anything great. Frank has talent as a manager, but IMO he's not ready yet. 

Edited by DaRick

Fair play to Sarri, and credit where credits due, his job was to get us in top 4 and he's done that, although I'm certainly not a fan of him, I think he will stay now. Let's see how pre season goes and very importantly whether we have the ban lifted, player recruitment could be vital.

He reached the main objective with a game to spare, so earned his right to start the next season as the Chelsea manager. As the results shown, we haven't been good for the last half a dozen games, but apparently it's enough as our rivals were dropping like flies, so credit for Sarri to earn those points. Get into the Europa league final and win it would be great, he will be seen as a winner for once rather than a nearly man. I think there will still be lots of doubts on him if he fails to win the Europa league, because a club like Chelsea should be in the CL, and  need to win Europa league if ended up in there like this season.