coco

Sarri - In or Out?

Sarri - In or Out?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Sarri - In or Out?

• In
    • Out

Now that we've got top 4, i'll give him one more season to see if things improve, but we better start playing some better football, it is so dull and tedious to watch us pass the ball around aimlessly going nowhere.

27 minutes ago, robdog said:

IMHO Don Maurizio has given the most time to Academy products. In fact I found a tweet about this topic:

I think this is a little misleading since Ruben has made some appearances for previous managers, plus has a full season of Premier League football (at Palace) already under his belt.

1 hour ago, Valerie said:

You've just described the whole point of a competition: 20 clubs play to see which of them has won the most points over 38 matches each. That includes the very lucky results, the bottle jobs, and the matches that are decided by one corner, or one send-off, or whatever. 

Why give it a negative slant? Like every club, we try to improve for the next season. Getting rid of a manager again, without having any idea who to appoint next, and the players learning a new system again, is not a step on the road to improvement.

Which is understood, my point however is that we've never since looked at good as we did at the start of the season before teams started to figure us out.

In terms of developement we have gone the wrong way for about seven months now which is a rather horrific sign when the manager has only been here for about 10 months. So i don't quite see the point in holding out for some miracle that will turn us around all of a sudden when we've looked lethargic for so long.
Only a month ago we had our own fans chant for Sarri to leave and take his style of football with him. I can understand why some think he's earned another go since we got to top 4 in the end but I simply can't look past how poor we have looked for a long, long time now.

2 hours ago, Boston Blue said:

And no one wants to go watch their team home & away when the manager looks like he'd rather stick with non working tactics than change something to win a match.

You say that but it hasn’t stopped me and many others :laugh2:

Win or lose up the blues as the old saying goes. 

2 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

You say that but it hasn’t stopped me and many others :laugh2:

Win or lose up the blues as the old saying goes. 

I get it.  You go.  But you'd rather not watch the footballing equivalent of a tractor pull?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sindre said:

Which is understood, my point however is that we've never since looked at good as we did at the start of the season before teams started to figure us out.

In terms of developement we have gone the wrong way for about seven months now which is a rather horrific sign when the manager has only been here for about 10 months. So i don't quite see the point in holding out for some miracle that will turn us around all of a sudden when we've looked lethargic for so long.
Only a month ago we had our own fans chant for Sarri to leave and take his style of football with him. I can understand why some think he's earned another go since we got to top 4 in the end but I simply can't look past how poor we have looked for a long, long time now.

Literally top 4 form since league cup final. Better than arsenal Tottenham and united in terms of results. 

Think some people don't realise that coming 4th in the league means you don't win every week. Maybe because we've either been rubbish or title winning for so long. 

We've improved in 2019, we are more direct than we used to be. I'm relishing the idea of this team next year with a pre season under our belt. We could start to see something really special. 

Edited by bisright1

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But you have to change your mind as the facts change. So i have to ask some of the doubters - how can you persist with the same criticisms when, one by one, they've been answered, to varying degrees? here are a few:

1. Sarri stubborn on team selection: see others' stats above on RLC and CHO. Whether it was fan pressure that did it or not is irrelevant  -  the stubbornness argument no longer holds true. 

2. We always lose when we concede first: ahem Cardiff away, Burnley at home, United away, Frankfurt away... did i miss any? ok all but one ended in draws (again, did i miss some?) but still a hell of an improvement on what was going on in our dark patch.

3. No team spirit: see 2.

4. Lack of imagination on subs: when was the last time we saw Kovacic for Barkley or vice versa (and this ties in with one)?

5. Always play worse in the second half: last two matches the exact opposite.

6. boring football - ok this is somewhat subjective, but i think it's unfair. While we have lacked consistency, there have been some great performances with top quality football - off the top of my head - Watford second half, belly of the Frankfurt game, Tottenham at home, West Ham at home, City final.... 

As i said, you are entitled to think Sarri is not the coach for us. But i don't think it can any longer be based on any of the above. Kudos to abramovich (not THE abramovich, or at least i don't think so) for basically acknowledging this and giving credit where due. And he may well yet be right to still be sceptical. We "ins" could easily be wrong come next season and should be ready to change our minds too. But for now - the table doesn't lie (solskjaer said so and it's hardly in his interest to say it), and there's no point rationalising it with "it's only coz man u, tottenham etc were crap".  1. they're probably not that crap (one is in CL semi); 2. so what (great even!) if they are.

1 hour ago, Dean said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But you have to change your mind as the facts change.

Indeed. I'm still not convinced by the Sarri experiment but by delivering the objective (and regardless as to how that all came about) he is to be congratulated & kept. I just hope he has the balls to stick around for next season given that he has had to endure a lot of completely childish & unwarranted taunting by many supporters over the last few months.

1 hour ago, youlots said:

Don Maurizio has had to endure a lot of completely childish & unwarranted taunting by many supporters over the last few months.

IMHO that was fuel by the disdain coming from the media. Even at the start of the season, pundits were discounting how Chelsea was achieving success. Then when Chelsea hit the purple patch, all of the muppets came out with guns blazing. Now of course the narrative is that the other sides weren't that great, but when Ole was having a really good run of fortune the media was head over heels. My question is how come I don't hear crap about spuds bottling it once more? Poch is like the Golden Boy. Then there is Klopp, gets drilled by Barca but lolpool were really unlucky. Again, fuck them all & I really hope Chelsea can finish in 3rd & win the Europa League. I will love to see many of those muppets eat a nice large heap of crow. Like Rio, who btw I haven't heard a word from him over the weekend. That bum is quiet as a mouse.

1 hour ago, youlots said:

Don Maurizio has had to endure a lot of completely childish & unwarranted taunting by many supporters over the last few months.

IMHO that was fuel by the disdain coming from the media. Even at the start of the season, pundits were discounting how Chelsea was achieving success. Then when Chelsea hit the purple patch, all of the muppets came out with guns blazing. Now of course the narrative is that the other sides weren't that great, but when Ole was having a really good run of fortune the media was head over heels. My question is how come I don't hear crap about spuds bottling it once more? Poch is like the Golden Boy. Then there is Klopp, gets drilled by Barca but lolpool were really unlucky. Again, fuck them all & I really hope Chelsea can finish in 3rd & win the Europa League. I will love to see many of those muppets eat a nice large heap of crow. Like Rio, who btw I haven't heard a word from him over the weekend. That bum is quiet as a mouse.

Credit where credit is due and well done to Sarri for guiding us to top 4 when for a long time this season it looked unattainable.

I think i am willing to see him have another season with us and see what that brings. That being said there is still plenty to work on and there have still been several disappointing and embarrassing moments this season. If these can be identified and ironed out, as well as operating smartly in the summer (ban permitting), as well as giving him a full pre-season then i think next season has the potential to be a lot better than this, both in terms of the style of football and results improving.

His brief at the start of the season would have been to get us into the Champions League, which he has now achieved, so I think the club would now be reluctant to get rid anyway.

You can argue that Spurs, Arsenal and United have all been poor recently but we have stepped up when it matters to get ourselves over the line.

Onwards and Upwards.

14 hours ago, Sindre said:

I enjoyed how we played at the start of the season, there is every chance we can do that in the next season. And I still fail to see how a third manager in as many seasons will do us any good, on top of the question who that may be.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Valerie said:

I enjoyed how we played at the start of the season, there is every chance we can do that in the next season. And I still fail to see how a third manager in as many seasons will do us any good, on top of the question who that may be.

So did I. But i suppose the point we disagree about it that you think Sarri can get us back to that on a consistent basis and i don't. We've looked too poor for too long for me to get behind that idea.

In terms of someone new i'd argue Lampard with Morris and JT as assistants would be a good choice. They all get the club, they are all good with youth which will be important now that we face a ban and i believe that if we wanted to start building a new foundation they could do it.

Edited by Sindre

At this point I dont think it would send the right message sacking sarri. We could end up in 3rd position behind 2 teams that have amassed enough points to win the league by record points in all but 2 seasons. No shame in that. 

That would be a ridiculously high bar to set for a new manager. 

There has been some shocking performances and results this season, but there has also been some good signs that with 3 or 4 better players, we could become a great side again. 

2 full backs, and a centre forward, would transform this team. 

Hopefully we can make signings in the summer, and this whole process of changing playing style, will really start to bear fruit.

5 minutes ago, big blue said:

At this point I dont think it would send the right message sacking sarri. We could end up in 3rd position behind 2 teams that have amassed enough points to win the league by record points in all but 2 seasons. No shame in that. 

That would be a ridiculously high bar to set for a new manager. 

There has been some shocking performances and results this season, but there has also been some good signs that with 3 or 4 better players, we could become a great side again. 

2 full backs, and a centre forward, would transform this team. 

Hopefully we can make signings in the summer, and this whole process of changing playing style, will really start to bear fruit.

I still maintain that his background of managing is a bit underdeveloped to lead a team in such a big transition like us and his tactical naivety has been present not just too many times, but over a course of a long sort of

period where improvements should be a bit more obvious, but I agree overall with this. A proper pre-season with his own players after having a season with most of the rest of the team would be a good platform to show what Sarri is really about. I think I would give him a chance -- but if we're seeing the same problems come half into next season then he should be sacked there and then 

Definitely IN for me. 

Sarri's managed to turn the team around in the last few months and I no longer go 'here we go again' when we concede. There's more fight to the team and players like Jorginho are understanding what it takes to play in the Premier league. We had a great start to the season and also not a bad finish. Following the drubbings from Bournemouth and City, we've scored the third most points in the league. 

Our CL spot has been earnt, not fallen into our lap...

5 hours ago, Sindre said:

So did I. But i suppose the point we disagree about it that you think Sarri can get us back to that on a consistent basis and i don't. We've looked too poor for too long for me to get behind that idea.

In terms of someone new i'd argue Lampard with Morris and JT as assistants would be a good choice. They all get the club, they are all good with youth which will be important now that we face a ban and i believe that if we wanted to start building a new foundation they could do it.

I'm hoping the transfer ban will either be delayed or suspended until after this summer's wondow, so we can get a few new players in more suitable for Sarri's philosophy.

Lampard, Morris and JT are too inexperienced to guide a premiership club to the successes the board and most of the supporters impatiently demand. Just because Lampard and JT are much loved club legends, and Morris is thought of highly because of his success with the academy, doesn't mean they are suitable for the highest domestic and European level. Not yet anyway, they are still on a learning curve.

Interesting that Sarri didn’t do the lap round the pitch on Sunday and just stood there with his arms folded. Kinda sums up his relationship with the fans. 

Also stories today that Roma are wanting him after Conte turned them down. I guess if Sarri did want to leave, then it would show how much the club really want him. 

5 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Interesting that Sarri didn’t do the lap round the pitch on Sunday and just stood there with his arms folded. Kinda sums up his relationship with the fans. 

Also stories today that Roma are wanting him after Conte turned them down. I guess if Sarri did want to leave, then it would show how much the club really want him. 

If he goes it's a disaster. I guarantee we will be outside the top 4 next season in that scenario. 

I imagine (hope) he's just the type to not seek applause. Lots of managers are like that. 

5 minutes ago, JM7 said:

If he goes it's a disaster. I guarantee we will be outside the top 4 next season in that scenario. 

I imagine (hope) he's just the type to not seek applause. Lots of managers are like that. 

14 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Maybe he was just letting his players get the glory so to speak. The only member of the coaching staff I saw was Carlo.