coco

Sarri - In or Out?

Sarri - In or Out?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Sarri - In or Out?

• In
    • Out

49 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

I totally agree on Pep, he massively disappointed me when he said the next club after Barca would be the challenge when he has to build a team. Then he went to Bayern and then City, teams set up with the best spending power in their respective leagues. I reckon he’d probably do PSG next and that would be all set up for him aswell.

He earned the right to do that after he took over a club in crisis (by their standards) and produced the best team of all time.

3 minutes ago, Argo said:

He earned the right to do that after he took over a club in crisis (by their standards) and produced the best team of all time.

Then he shouldn’t talk about how the next team would be the challenge when on both occasions he went where it was easiest to succeed.

4 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

Then he shouldn’t talk about how the next team would be the challenge when on both occasions he went where it was easiest to succeed.

I would actually say taking over treble winners is harder than going to a team on the cusp of something good.

If you do the latter the players will be hungry as f**k to win and the motivation talks are done for you for the season, however go into a treble team and you have to not only find new ways to motivate well fed players who won it all two months ago but get them to buy into new ideas away from what made them so successful, ask Rafa (Inter), it's not as easy as people think.

And at City he may have had the money but he had anything but a top class team, the year before he turned up they finished 4th on 66 points, infact after the first five games of that season they weren't that much better than us and we all know how bad we were.

11 hours ago, Sindre said:

And yet we have spent over 220 million each summer for the last two years? How do you explain that then?

Out - 

Oscar, Diego Costa, Ramires, Matic, Ake, Cuadrado, Begovic, Traore.. 

Most of the additions the last two years have been replacements funded by terrific sales.

Net spend has been down. 

Now... The good news is that Chelsea has a load of marketable assets to unload that won't be with the team next year to fund some of those moves you'd like. 

Morata - full refund €55M 

Bakayoko - might not be a full refund now, but has played himself back into the €30M range

Batshuayi - should be in the 25-30 range

And Eden Hazard. 

The only one we're going to take a bath on is Drinkwater. Lucky to get €15M back for him. Probably have to loan him out just to save €5M per year on his wages and forget about recouping a transfer fee. 

There's €200M for player acquisitions right there. That's why getting the ban frozen for this summer is so important. 

The money has been available through player sales. The player recruitment has been mixed. Can't miss on another high cost striker. 

9 hours ago, Skinnedy said:

Out - 

Oscar, Diego Costa, Ramires, Matic, Ake, Cuadrado, Begovic, Traore.. 

Most of the additions the last two years have been replacements funded by terrific sales.

Net spend has been down. 

Now... The good news is that Chelsea has a load of marketable assets to unload that won't be with the team next year to fund some of those moves you'd like. 

Morata - full refund €55M 

Bakayoko - might not be a full refund now, but has played himself back into the €30M range

Batshuayi - should be in the 25-30 range

And Eden Hazard. 

The only one we're going to take a bath on is Drinkwater. Lucky to get €15M back for him. Probably have to loan him out just to save €5M per year on his wages and forget about recouping a transfer fee. 

There's €200M for player acquisitions right there. That's why getting the ban frozen for this summer is so important. 

The money has been available through player sales. The player recruitment has been mixed. Can't miss on another high cost striker. 

Good thinking above, agree on valuations for Bakayoko and Bats though not on Morata.

Think Morata's standing has been damaged at Chelsea, he has been playing ok with Atletico Madrid yet they are not big spenders. 

Not confident we will get anywhere near €55m.

Never did find out what AM paid for Torres, Morata might go the same way. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

I totally agree on Pep, he massively disappointed me when he said the next club after Barca would be the challenge when he has to build a team. Then he went to Bayern and then City, teams set up with the best spending power in their respective leagues. I reckon he’d probably do PSG next and that would be all set up for him aswell.

It’s very easy to be the high god Pep

Just surround yourself with the best players out there and wait for the plaudits to roll in. June Whitfield could have managed Barca, Bayern, Citeh and got the same results.

Edited by Ewell CFC

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

Good thinking above, agree on valuations for Bakayoko and Bats though not on Morata.

Think Morata's standing has been damaged at Chelsea, he has been playing ok with Atletico Madrid yet they are not big spenders. 

Never did find out what AM paid for Torres, Morata might go the same way. 

I think we will get very close on the morata money.

Costa is looking like leaving, so Morata will most likely continue the loan. Atletico will have already paid about £20m by the end the 18 month loan. 

So it would only another £30m to make it permanent. 

14 hours ago, rtwelch said:

If he stays people are eventually going to have to get behind him. The constant negativity doesn't help the team.

Do you think that people are being negative on purpose? If Sarri wants the fans support he needs to serve up some entertaining football, not the complete drose we have witnessed this season. 

If his football changes second season as people predict, fair enough,  but I have seen nothing to suggest improvement as this season has went on.

28 minutes ago, big blue said:

I think we will get very close on the morata money.

Costa is looking like leaving, so Morata will most likely continue the loan. Atletico will have already paid about £20m by the end the 18 month loan. 

So it would only another £30m to make it permanent. 

Yes I could see a net spend of €50 mil if we add 18 month loan revenue with a €30-35mil sale.

1 hour ago, goose said:

Do you think that people are being negative on purpose? If Sarri wants the fans support he needs to serve up some entertaining football, not the complete drose we have witnessed this season. 

If his football changes second season as people predict, fair enough,  but I have seen nothing to suggest improvement as this season has went on.

People pay the money and can do whatever they like but i do wonder how many are thinking logically after 8 pints. First of all booing will hamper the players in the long run. If they are not trying (like we have seen this season) then the players do well and truly need a kick up the arse and I guess booing is the only way to get your view across. But booing the boss for doing his job and bringing off an injury prone player who is being managed atm is just tacky and isn't helping at all. Football is a lot about confidence and positivity will breed good football and vice versa.  If the players are putting a shift in but they're not doing that great then booing is just going to make them worse? First of all we need players that are willing to bust their arse every week AND are willing to play to a system.

Can you imagine if a player had the choice to come here or to another club and all they'd seen in the press was the fans booing the team? Chanting "f**k sarriball" over an extended period. They would not want to join us. So there possible goes our "number one target" because he doesn't wanna play in a cauldron of hate. So not helping part 2.

Your point about the football is valid but when we were rumoured to hire Sarri I did a lot of research on his style and why he was so reverred by Napoli fans and other managers. I can see for a fact his main philosophies are not being implemented yet so I can only see the football getting better. It is an intricate system so it needs more time and his first year at Napoli had similar issues and in the second season they were completely on it. 

1 hour ago, Ewell CFC said:

It’s very easy to be the high god Pep

Just surround yourself with the best players out there and wait for the plaudits to roll in. June Whitfield could have managed Barca, Bayern, Citeh and got the same results.

I do think he has something, cause that Barca team is arguably the greatest team of all-time, we saw those same players with other coaches and they weren’t that good. But he never goes to do a harder job, even though he’s talked about doing so.

1 hour ago, goose said:

Spot on Goose

19 minutes ago, rtwelch said:

Can you imagine if a player had the choice to come here or to another club and all they'd seen in the press was the fans booing the team? Chanting "f**k sarriball" over an extended period. They would not want to join us. So there possible goes our "number one target" because he doesn't wanna play in a cauldron of hate. So not helping part 2.

That's just your opinion it doesn't make it a fact. Players are motivated by one thing and that's money and if the booing was over an extended period the chances are Sarri or any manager at any club would walk or be sacked. 

12 hours ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

To be fair, no manager who has won multiple trophies would downgrade and go to a mid table club. Would make no sense. Just like footballers, coaches also have ambitions.

City did back him though and believed in the process. In his first season City were below par, but they still had elite players. He's never had it that bad at all though. 

3 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

He’s on loan for another 12 months, and the option they have to buy is almost identical to what we paid for him. I couldn’t remember if it was 50 or 55, so I put in 55 to include the loan fee. If he keeps playing the way he played the last six months, they’re a shoe-in to pick up his option.

I’m quite confident we get a full refund on him. We just need Morata to hold up his end... what could go wrong ?

2 hours ago, goose said:

Then the personnel have to change too. The board never seem to get the same negativity thrown at them from fans for putting coaches in this situation at the club.

Next season Sarri will be even more up against it as we will lose our best attacking player. If the board had actually bought competent players to surround Hazard, we would be in a much better situation and maybe, just maybe he wouldn't want to leave. 

However, they bring in average players and expect us to challenge for the title. Simple fact is, we won't be challenging without the sufficient quality in the side.

What I find quite astonishing about Morata is I've seen a lot of fans say he's been successful at Atletico, 6 goals in 16 games I believe. Whereas Gonzalo "I can't believe that fat fraud bought him" Higuaín has only a slightly worse record of 5 goals in 17. 

Also heard a few recommendations for next year's manager a few pages back:

Favre: Has completely bottled the Bundesliga, you think he'd last here more than a couple of months before our fans turned on him?

Hassenhuttl: Can't understand this whatsoever, yes he's been decent with Southampton but Southampton had Hughes as manager, anyone would've steadied the ship as Hughes has been awful for the last couple of years.

Rose: Is joining Monchengladbach.

As for signings in the summer. We should do everything possible to make sure those 2 players that Sarri gets are Luka Jovic and either Nicolas Pepe or Hakim Ziyech. I think people may have heard 1-2 players and not accounted for loan players returning. We should see the likes of Reece James and Kurt Zouma almost definitely return imo. The 3rd is a bit of a mystery. I'd like to see Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham and Jay DaSilva come back too. Mount as a Kovacic replacement, Abraham as a backup to Jovic and DaSilva competing with Emerson, I think DaSilva is potentially our most underrated youth prospect. He's been fantastic this season and was phenomenal the season before too. The only issue is the height, but it's a sacrifice I think we should be willing to make given what he offers to the team. The only issue is Bristol City have an option to buy but if he's offered a place in our team I hope he'll take it. Maybe Sarri could be persuaded to potentially get Alex Telles or Barella too. Hopefully. Both great players and a lack of a Jorginho backup has really hurt us. I'd like to see us move on marcos Alonso, Gary Cahill, Davide Zappacosta, Mateo Kovacic, Danny Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Willian and Giroud. That could raise a good £80m in my opinion, and would significantly clear out the squad too. 

Am actually excited for next season under Sarri, I think we'll massively improve. And hey if not, potentially get Lampard in, he'll have had a year's more experience. 

1 hour ago, rtwelch said:

People pay the money and can do whatever they like but i do wonder how many are thinking logically after 8 pints. First of all booing will hamper the players in the long run. If they are not trying (like we have seen this season) then the players do well and truly need a kick up the arse and I guess booing is the only way to get your view across. But booing the boss for doing his job and bringing off an injury prone player who is being managed atm is just tacky and isn't helping at all. Football is a lot about confidence and positivity will breed good football and vice versa.  If the players are putting a shift in but they're not doing that great then booing is just going to make them worse? First of all we need players that are willing to bust their arse every week AND are willing to play to a system.

Your point about the football is valid but when we were rumoured to hire Sarri I did a lot of research on his style and why he was so reverred by Napoli fans and other managers. I can see for a fact his main philosophies are not being implemented yet so I can only see the football getting better. It is an intricate system so it needs more time and his first year at Napoli had similar issues and in the second season they were completely on it. 

@rtwelch You have been a big supporter of Sarri since his arrival. I must admit that I have not looked into his past in any great detail, just the odd highlight on YT which doesn’t ever really give a true reflection imo.

All I can give is my opinion in what I’ve seen this season and what I see is not players who are not trying but players not motivated and a system that does not suit the EPL, these are Sarri’s responsibilities.

Your confidence in an improved second season is commendable but I can’t share it at the moment.

Because we have, in my opinion, over achieved in getting top 4 and two finals I think he has earned a second season. Now what I expect next season is not to finish as champions or even top 2. I don’t care if we don’t make a final next year. What I’d like is a good run in competitions, some really exciting matches where we go toe to toe with the other team and if we win we can say, great match, exciting, some out of you seat moments and if we lose we can say we were unlucky but proud of the performance.

i doubt this with Sarri as manager but I really really hope that this time next year you can come here and say ‘Goose you’re a dick, you should have believed me.’

1 hour ago, Desailly123 said:

What I find quite astonishing about Morata is I've seen a lot of fans say he's been successful at Atletico, 6 goals in 16 games I believe. Whereas Gonzalo "I can't believe that fat fraud bought him" Higuaín has only a slightly worse record of 5 goals in 17. 

Also heard a few recommendations for next year's manager a few pages back:

Favre: Has completely bottled the Bundesliga, you think he'd last here more than a couple of months before our fans turned on him?

Hassenhuttl: Can't understand this whatsoever, yes he's been decent with Southampton but Southampton had Hughes as manager, anyone would've steadied the ship as Hughes has been awful for the last couple of years.

Rose: Is joining Monchengladbach.

As for signings in the summer. We should do everything possible to make sure those 2 players that Sarri gets are Luka Jovic and either Nicolas Pepe or Hakim Ziyech. I think people may have heard 1-2 players and not accounted for loan players returning. We should see the likes of Reece James and Kurt Zouma almost definitely return imo. The 3rd is a bit of a mystery. I'd like to see Mason Mount, Tammy Abraham and Jay DaSilva come back too. Mount as a Kovacic replacement, Abraham as a backup to Jovic and DaSilva competing with Emerson, I think DaSilva is potentially our most underrated youth prospect. He's been fantastic this season and was phenomenal the season before too. The only issue is the height, but it's a sacrifice I think we should be willing to make given what he offers to the team. The only issue is Bristol City have an option to buy but if he's offered a place in our team I hope he'll take it. Maybe Sarri could be persuaded to potentially get Alex Telles or Barella too. Hopefully. Both great players and a lack of a Jorginho backup has really hurt us. I'd like to see us move on marcos Alonso, Gary Cahill, Davide Zappacosta, Mateo Kovacic, Danny Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Willian and Giroud. That could raise a good £80m in my opinion, and would significantly clear out the squad too. 

Am actually excited for next season under Sarri, I think we'll massively improve. And hey if not, potentially get Lampard in, he'll have had a year's more experience. 

Yeah Dasilva is hugely underrated and I think his height will also give hesitations to whatever Chelsea manager in place. I doubt he will take the option to stay at Bristol City though if his insta message is anything to go by:

"Thank you to the fans for your support all season ❤️ Wish all the best to the lads and the club in the future..."

Doesn't mean he won't move but you imagine he is setting his ambition higher.

1 hour ago, enigma said:

To be fair, no manager who has won multiple trophies would downgrade and go to a mid table club. Would make no sense. Just like footballers, coaches also have ambitions.

City did back him though and believed in the process. In his first season City were below par, but they still had elite players. He's never had it that bad at all though. 

That’s not what I’m saying. Say he came to us now or United after Moyes. They’re challenges that can be moulded into great teams once again but there’s a challenge there. Going to Bayern who were already the best team in Germany and a City side that we’re basically underachieving cause of the manager isn’t that much of a challenge.

So, we’re the best team in the league after City and Liverpool. We’re in a European cup final, and also contested in another cup final.

3rd and 2 finals, possibly one trophy. What a weird season because it really doesn’t feel like we had a great season. Not bad for a transition season

In for me.

Two finals one we could win and a third plays behind two teams that are years a head of the rest. As I said elsewhere the team needs some leaders and a back bone. Give the guy another year. Some of the football hasn't been great I must admit 

Out

We are a very average team with one world class player in it, when he leaves which looks likely in the next few months then I fear we will struggle big time.

Sarri doesn’t play attractive or effective football (this isn’t Seria A) and other teams are improving fast. 

Mew mad ea huge struggle of getting to the Europa final despite playing average teams in the process and needing pens to get over the line.

Might be a nice bloke and all but he hasn’t won a thing in football and it shows badly when it matters at Chelsea.

IN 

For one more season, he has earned this and if it doesn't deliver then out in December 19 or May 20.

Can't say I love the football though RLC and CHO have produced glimpses of a future and if that can include Reece James and Abraham with Pulisic then we might just surprise a few. 

15 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

Out

We are a very average team with one world class player in it, when he leaves which looks likely in the next few months then I fear we will struggle big time.

Sarri doesn’t play attractive or effective football (this isn’t Seria A) and other teams are improving fast. 

Mew mad ea huge struggle of getting to the Europa final despite playing average teams in the process and needing pens to get over the line.

Might be a nice bloke and all but he hasn’t won a thing in football and it shows badly when it matters at Chelsea.

What a strange post. Your first point well i'm not entirely sure how thats his fault? he doesn't have 100% control in the market, its bad signings made by the club in recent seasons. Your 2nd point, If we end up winning the Europa league nobody will care how we played to get there. And finally, he hasn't won a thing in football, we are in a final soon and me might win so maybe you should of posted this after the final?.