Sarri - In or Out?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Sarri - In or Out?

• In
    • Out

8 minutes ago, wallosh said:
13 hours ago, bisright1 said:
Well there are loads of others. 
Maybe ancelotti? He won us trophies. He's done worse at Napoli than Sarri though. Ranieri will be available, he won a premier league. 
I could keep naming names, but I'm not going to find a manager I, the board or most Chelsea fans will all agree is 100% better than Sarri. And neither can you. 
Give up on the trophy chat. He got us to a final and we lost on penalties to one of the greatest English teams of all time and we might win one in 2 weeks. 

You know what? You are yet to name a manager that is worse than Sarri, all the above managers will do better here than Sarri!

Big troll.

I personally think they are all worse, but no rational person can say any of those names would 100% be better. Ranieri didn't improve Fulham and Roma fans can't wait for him to go. Ancelotti is doing a worse job than Sarri at Napoli and they want him back. 

Posted (edited)

Ultimately, I think Sarri deserves another season. 

I can’t say I particularly warm to him. He’s obsessed by statistics, he doesn’t seem particularly personable, and tactically he seems stubborn and void of any creativity. Our play has been dreadful to watch at times and I’m not convinced that his man management is at the level of a Guardiola or Klopp.

In his defence, he had no pre-season, is trying to embed a whole new style of play, had very little time working tactically with the squad due to the number of fixtures (I think we have played more games this season than anyone else in Europe’s top five leagues) and is working with quite severe squad limitations. Most of the squad are a mismatch of players bought via different managers over the past few years, and quality wise, is probably the poorest (barring a few) that I can remember of the post Abramovich era.

Though accepting the generally poorer standard between 3rd to 6th this year, despite the above, we achieved 3rd place and champions league football – all whilst not having a player that scores 20+ goals a season!... Even if you dislike the guy, he deserves some credit for that.

I’ve seen individual improvements in some players and collectively, though by no means perfect, there have been signs that his methods are beginning to settle in.  

Unless Roman has already decided to wield the axe (I can’t see why given the transfer ban), I say give him one more season to prove himself, or not, as the case may be.

Edited by Elliott

On 10/05/2019 at 12:56, Sindre said:

When he decided to chew cigarettes yesterday instead of joining his staff and squad in the huddle i think i lost the last littlebit of faith i had in the man. I certainly wouldn't have liked to be managed by someone like that. Can you even imagine the likes of Conte or Mourinho doing that? I can't.
No wonder he finds the players "extremely difficult to motivate" in that case. I'll argue its not the players but him doing stuff like that.

Can you even imagine the likes of Conte or Mourinho doing that? - God forbid there are different styles of management within the game.

When he decided to chew cigarettes yesterday instead of joining his staff and squad in the huddle i think i lost the last littlebit of faith i had in the man - Sarri is a tactician, you should be showing more grievance towards Zola for not getting in there and pumping them up. 

No wonder he finds the players "extremely difficult to motivate" in that case. - You've contradicted yourself here. So Conte and Mourinho, who you claim to have good management styles, both said our players are hard to motivate and you believe them. However, when Sarri says the same its then his fault because he didn't get involved in a huddle?

I'll argue its not the players but him doing stuff like that. - As above, so its the players when its Conte or Mourinho but its the manager when its Sarri?

4 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Big troll.

I personally think they are all worse, but no rational person can say any of those names would 100% be better. Ranieri didn't improve Fulham and Roma fans can't wait for him to go. Ancelotti is doing a worse job than Sarri at Napoli and they want him back. 

This may be an unpopular opinion but I think Ranieri is a bang average manager at absolute best and apart from the season he got us 4th I didn't rate the job he did here atall.

22 minutes ago, wallosh said:
15 hours ago, Argo said:
There's a risk no matter what we do, United appointed a proven PL winner in Jose and he didn't get close to doing it with them, likewise Kenny at Liverpool.
Given he has a track record of giving a team league consistentcy all be it in a different league i would rather gamble on Sarri getting us to at the very least a challenging position more than i would a Emery for example who despite an impressive cup record has a very average league history littered with inconsistentcy, i would put Ancelotti in that category aswell.

Emery over Sarri for me anyday!

Emery who failed to win a title with PSG in france in his first season? My mam could manage PSG to a title with ease.

15 minutes ago, dkw said:

Emery who failed to win a title with PSG in france in his first season? My mam could manage PSG to a title with ease.

Yeah but he isn't stubborn and changes his formations a lot.

I mean they still lose when he does it but he does it.

2 minutes ago, Stim said:

Thats true, and thats all that counts....

I cant believe anyone can want him over Sarri, he has had 2 actual strikers scoring actual goals and has still finished below us.

2 minutes ago, Stim said:

Of all the Sarri critisism that's one I never really did get.

Most of the managers at the top level have set formations and stick to them come rain or shine, you maybe get a slight tweak like Jose shifting from 433/4231 or Conte's 343/352 but such drastic shifts are unheard of and managers that do it (like Emery) are ones that don't really have an identity as a manager.

22 minutes ago, dkw said:

Not that I would go for Emery over Sarri but is that the year Monaco won it? If so that Monaco team was unreal, just need to look at how many players have moved on, they also got to the semi finals of the champions league aswell.

1 minute ago, Ernie_blue said:

Not that I would go for Emery over Sarri but is that the year Monaco won it? If so that Monaco team was unreal, just need to look at how many players have moved on, they also got to the semi finals of the champions league aswell.

Monaco were excellent, but PSG`s squad was easily capable of winning that league and should have. If you fail to win a title in France with that PSG squad then thats a big failure.

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Monaco were excellent, but PSG`s squad was easily capable of winning that league and should have. If you fail to win a title in France with that PSG squad then thats a big failure.

Well looking at PSGs squad I would not say there was anything there to make it better than Monaco's, that Monaco team was excellent, they dominated domestically and got to the semi finals of the champions league, it would have taken alot to beat Monaco that year. People like to talk about Sarri's record points with Napoli well Monaco hit 95 and I dont think PSG have managed that before and after when there has been no competition.

I'm not defending the initial point but that particular year Monaco was brilliant.

58 minutes ago, Argo said:

This may be an unpopular opinion but I think Ranieri is a bang average manager at absolute best and apart from the season he got us 4th I didn't rate the job he did here atall.

Why would it be unpopular? He is a lovable guy, but looking at his managerial career as a whole I agree bang average. 

28 minutes ago, kiwi1691 said:

Why would it be unpopular? He is a lovable guy, but looking at his managerial career as a whole I agree bang average. 

Because he was well loved at Chelsea and the average fan made it clear he didn't want him sacked, one even went as far as telling Jose in person (when he arrived to watch Chelsea Vs Monaco) "don't come here we love Claudio".

6 minutes ago, Argo said:

Because he was well loved at Chelsea and the average fan made it clear he didn't want him sacked, one even went as far as telling Jose in person (when he arrived to watch Chelsea Vs Monaco) "don't come here we love Claudio".

I've heard about said supporter. He's now in an institution with a pencil up each nostril muttering the word "Wibble".

2 hours ago, Argo said:

Don't know how much was down to him specifically but the ground work done in the season(s) before Jose arrived was crucial to eventual success. 

He'd promoted JT into the first team and bought Lampard before Roman had arrived and the signings of Makelele, Robben, Cech, Joe Cole were made whilst he was manager. 

I think he did a respectable job at Chelsea but a top level club isn't really suited to his skill set. 

What is better for next season:

- Ruben and Callum are ready to start every game. These two are massive 'signings' for us. 

- All players know what Sarriball is or should be. 

- We have a full Pre-season 

What is worse for next season:

- Our best player is leaving although Pulisic is bought to replace him.

- We have the transfer ban

- Sarri is not a new face to anyone. No romance anywhere. 

I have been far from impressed with some of the football we've played, but Sarri has achieved what he set out to - we finished 3rd and we're in the final of the Europa League. I think he deserves another full season to see if he can improve things.

Posted (edited)

Solskjaer is a great example, look how it turned out for him.

If Sarri is sacked say goodbye to the dream of playing the youth. 

He is far from my favourite manager but there is no one better than him in the position we find ourselves with a looming transfer ban.

Edited by Gentian
Spelling mistake.

11 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Two different Italian media outlets, GDS and Sport Mediaset have suggested today that Chelsea could sack Sarri this summer. 

Would be incredibly depressing to see that happen and I think we would need to be prepared to see us spend a few years battling for the top 6. Regardless of what some say, I have no idea what manager we can expect to get who will improve our team next year. Especially with no new signings. I'm excited to see how we perform next year after a pre season with sarri, I won't be if we hire Javi Gracia or Frank lampard which is who I suspect we will end up with. 

1 minute ago, Gentian said:

Solskjaer is a great example, look how it turned out for him.

If Sarri is sacked say goodbye to the dream of playing the youth. 

He is far from my favourite manager but there is no one better than him in the position we find ourselves with a looming transfer ban.

Yup. Why play youth if a manager knows they will out the door after 12 months 

Just now, ForeverCarefree said:

Two different Italian media outlets, GDS and Sport Mediaset have suggested today that Chelsea could sack Sarri this summer. 

To be replaced by Lampard they say.

I'm all for it.

14 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I'm calling bullsh*t on that. I don't think he will be sacked and I don't think Lampard will take over any time soon.

Can you imagine how ridiculous it would sound. Chelsea sack Sarri after coming 3rd and reaching two cup finals. 

We'd be a laughing stock. 

58 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I'm calling bullsh*t on that. I don't think he will be sacked and I don't think Lampard will take over any time soon.

Plus it would only hurt Lampard's career, I think AVB had a promising career but took a big job too early, there he was a 32 year old man who's never had experience playing football at pro level telling a 34 year old legend like Lampard what to do.

I think it's better for Lampard to get his Derby side to the Premier League and focus on building his career, his managerial career is still very young, no need to throw him into the deep end.