coco

Sarri - In or Out?

Sarri - In or Out?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Sarri - In or Out?

• In
    • Out

See, I told you guys that Sarri's bare trophy cupboard was a question of opportunity, not ability. ?

I'm glad that he's stuck it up the haters. 

For me it would be a strange move if the board sacked him. He has had a good season and there's no getting away from that. If I had been offered 3rd place and the EL at the beginning of the season I would have bitten your arm off. If anything he has overachieved. I'm not saying he is the next messiah but we have to be realistic about what is going to happen at the club in the next year or so. Given that a new manager couldn't bring in new signings and RLC and CHD are injured for probably most of next season we have to think about the quality of manager we could attract next season. There is really only one candidate and that is Frank Lampard. Frank and Jody could get the best out of our youth players no doubt but time is on Franks side. He will probably feel he needs to learn his trade a bit more before taking the big job. When we lost 6-0 to City and 4-0 to Bournemouth I wanted Sarri out because there was an obvious naivety to the way we were playing at that time. Sarri changed this. We didn't set the world on fire but things did change and with a bit of help from other teams we deservedly got 3rd in the PL.

Sarri has earned his chance to stay at Chelsea and I have no problem at all in giving him another season. He is a winner for the first time in his career and he doesn't deserve to get sacked.

PS. I thought we played some really good football against Arsenal last night.

9 hours ago, JM7 said:

Sarri: "We won 12 games out of 15, we scored more than any other team in the #UEL, in the final we defeated a strong team 4-1. I dedicate this victory to #Napoli fans because I didn't manage to give them this kind of joy and to the players who missed this game due to injuries."

What a bizarre quote from Sarri!

9 hours ago, RickUK said:

Some of his quotes tonight sound like he is off.

This was said after he was asked about Juve and the Napoli fans hoping he doesnt go there

“I am pleased that Napoli congratulated me, I had no doubts it would happen. The Neapolitans know how much love I have for them and that last year I went abroad to avoid going straight to another Italian club.

“They will always have my love and respect. The profession means at times we might have to take different paths, but that will never change my history or my respect for them.

Maybe its his discrete way of saying that he won't be going to Juventus? Him joining Napoli's rivals won't exactly do him any favours

I have been Sarri out for most of the season, but said at the end of the season that 3rd and 2 finals was probably enough to give him another year. Now I am convinced he has done more than enough to have another season!

Also spent alot of time moaning about how we crumble early in the second half of games, so massive credit for what he said at half time last night and whatever he changed tactically. First half i think we were allowing Ozil so much space between our midfield and defence, then in the second half we changed something and Ozil didn't even get a sniff!

Congratulations Maurizio and the team!

I know there has been a lot of questioning regards 'sarriball' but in truth we have only played 'his' football in bursts this season. 2nd half yesterday was pretty close to how his Napoli team played.

For me sarriball is about playing out from the back, inviting pressure, playing through that pressure, and then taking advantage of the spaces and overloads with quick 1 and 2 touch passes, and finishing clinically.

Defensively we press high, if that fails we drop back and defend compact. Possession is also so used as a form of defence, stop the opposition from scoring by not allowing them the ball. 

We have really managed to do all these things at the right times this season, we play out of the press pretty well, but we dont always take advantage of the space we have opened up, which lets teams get back into position, and ends up with us passing aimlessly around a packed defence. 

Defensively we dont always press as unit, which then leaves us wide open, and vulnerable. 

I think there has been improvements though in the last 2/3 months, the gap between jorginho and the back 4 has is much improved, we dont leave ourselves as open, and we can play through the press superbly. 

We still struggle against packed defences, and we dont always make the most out the openings we create, but i would also put that down to how inconsistant our attackers are aswell.

I hope sarri stays, i think he's earnt it, and im actually pretty confident we will improve further under him aswell.

Congratulations to the user Wallosh and all the Sarri haters !

Good job friends ! f**k sarriball ! Sarri Out !

Now you have to pray that he remains, otherwise, without him and Hazard, the next year you will fight against Everton and Wolverhampton for the seventh place and i will die of pain with Maurizio in Juventus.

Bye 

8 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

I was almost creaming myself at that passage of play last night ... what a team goal that would have been ... we were superb in that second half ... proper football !

21 minutes ago, Andy North said:

A group of Chelsea fans being interviewed on Sky Sports News this morning said they still wanted Sarri to be sacked.

Is that still a thing?

Trust Sky to find the fickle ones.

8 minutes ago, coco said:

Trust Sky to find the fickle ones.

In fairness, not changing their minds once Sarri won a trophy is the opposite of fickle, is it not?? The people that have rightfully been calling Sarri out all season who have now backtracked due to the feel good factor are the ones to watch out for. I said yesterday that my mind wouldn't be changed based on winning the Europa league, it was to be expected at the beginning of the season. Rafa Benitez won it but people still wanted him sacked. 

Nevertheless, fair f**ks to Sarri for winning his first trophy and I'm grateful that Chelsea now have more silverware in the cabinet, but I still don't believe he is the person to take us forward for the reasons I've previously stated. Last night, as enjoyable as it was, doesn't change anything for me.

26 minutes ago, buzzcfc said:

In fairness, not changing their minds once Sarri won a trophy is the opposite of fickle, is it not?? The people that have rightfully been calling Sarri out all season who have now backtracked due to the feel good factor are the ones to watch out for. I said yesterday that my mind wouldn't be changed based on winning the Europa league, it was to be expected at the beginning of the season. Rafa Benitez won it but people still wanted him sacked. 

Yes by definition you are correct. Fickle was the wrong word to use in this instance. But it's quicker than typing "the chelsea fans that got it wrong about Sarri not being a winner"

Rafa was a whole different kettle of fish.

Credit to Sarri for winning the Europa League and securing a top 4 spot.

I'm not going to lie, I was in favour of Sarri being sacked in February after thoroughly unacceptable performances against Bournemouth (4-0 loss), Man City (6-0 loss) and losing to Man Utd without a whimper in the FA Cup in addition to our general decline in form from last year.

However since the FA Cup elimination, he's been able to steady the ship and secure a top 4 spot and winning the Europa League is more than enough to grant him a pass mark and a chance to manage us next season if he wants that opportunity.

I never hated Sarri, but was highly sceptical when he was first appointed. I still remain sceptical as to whether he can propel us to the next level and narrow the gap between us and the top two sides, but I credit where its due.

There's nothing better than eating humble pie. I think most people critical of Sarri are happy to be wrong because it means we're successful as a club which is our main goal as a supporter base.

5 minutes ago, Jezz said:

There's nothing better than eating humble pie. I think most people critical of Sarri are happy to be wrong because it means we're successful as a club which is our main goal as a supporter base.

Exactly right! If Sarri is given next season (and possibly beyond), I would love nothing more than him be a success and to eat plenty of humble pie.  

3 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Give the man a new contract!

I don't think there's any need for it at this stage. He still has two years left on his current contract.

If we improve again next season, I think the club will strongly consider an extension.

11 minutes ago, Jezz said:

I don't think there's any need for it at this stage. He still has two years left on his current contract.

I think he has only one year left on his contract. 

There might be the option for Chelsea to trigger a third year though. 

14 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I think he has only one year left on his contract. 

There might be the option for Chelsea to trigger a third year though. 

It appears you're correct. When he first joined the club, the club statement on the website stated it was a three-year contract so I automatically assumed it was a fixed duration with no bonuses or triggers.

However, this article from the Guardian published last week suggests you're correct.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/22/maurizio-sarri-chelsea-future-europa-league-final-sack

"The head coach is only 10 months into a two-year contract, which includes an option for a third year, worth £5m a season" - The Guardian

Edited by Jezz