Sarri - In or Out?

Sarri - In or Out?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Sarri - In or Out?

• In
    • Out

14 minutes ago, B&Wlegends said:
18 minutes ago, coco said:
Your'e not really grasping whats going on when that happens, we don't just pass it back for the sake of it, we are trying to manipulate the opposition and open up spaces between them. Surely after a whole season of watching us try it you can recognise it by now ? Granted it doesn't look to confident when we do it, but slowly were doing it more and more successfully.

Ah well that's exactly what classic Uruguayan and Italian schools do since the late 20s but apparently that's not progressive

It's about Allegri, not Italian or Uruguayan football. The AC Milan team of the 80s played  fantastic, attractive, winning football.

It's about Allegri, not Italian or Uruguayan football. The AC Milan team of the 80s played  fantastic, attractive, winning football.
Sacchi's Milan is as far away from Italian football as it can be with the notable exception of his increased attention to the defensive phase but that was thanks to having 2 of the all time best defenders in the history of football in maldini and baresi. That was an exception though that even Sacchi was unable to replicate with the national team in 94 or at atleti for that matter, because the one thing that the progressive football zealots fail to understand is that players are always more important than managers or tactical ideologies and you can't play the same style with any players and even less against any opponent.

12 minutes ago, B&Wlegends said:
20 minutes ago, Dixons said:

Sacchi's Milan is as far away from Italian football as it can be with the notable exception of his increased attention to the defensive phase but that was thanks to having 2 of the all time best defenders in the history of football in maldini and baresi. That was an exception though that even Sacchi was unable to replicate with the national team in 94 or at atleti for that matter, because the one thing that the progressive football zealots fail to understand is that players are always more important than managers or tactical ideologies and you can't play the same style with any players and even less against any opponent.

Given time and money, Pep and Klopp would get Juve playing like City and Liverpool. Given time and money Allegri and Simieone would have City and Liverpool playing like Juve and A Madrid. Leopards can't change their spots. Question - which managers do you think City and Pool fans would prefer as their mangers from those four? I'd bet my house 99.9% of them would choose Pep and Klopp.

Edited by Dixons

9 hours ago, Bramskii said:

I may be in the minority but there are only two trophies I truly care about. If it's anything but the CL and Prem League trophies, I'm not interested.

What?.....Two of my best and proudest moments as a Chelsea supporter were being at Wembley in 86 for the full members cup final, and also Wembley 97 for the FA cup final.

Given time and money, Pep and Klopp would get Juve playing like City and Liverpool. Given time and money Allegri and Simieone would have City and Liverpool playing like Juve and A Madrid. Leopards can't change their spots. Question - which managers do you think City and Pool fans would prefer as their mangers from those four? I'd bet my house 99.9% of them would choose Pep and Klopp.
I don't care about fans tastes,I very much doubt that Guardiola would make juve play like city with current players and even less so with atleti. In any event the point I was making was different

4 minutes ago, B&Wlegends said:
40 minutes ago, Dixons said:

I don't care about fans tastes,I very much doubt that Guardiola would make juve play like city with current players and even less so with atleti. In any event the point I was making was different

He would absolutely do that. He did it with Bayern and City. He has a strong phisophy of football and that is why he is adored and that is why he is so succesful. I think he will stay at City for next season and go all in trying to win CL. After that he could go to Juventus for example. 

5 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I actually canni believe I’ve just read that. Despite it being a ‘glorified friendly’ I’ll still be happy if we win the European super cup & I quite enjoy when we win the community shield as well although I wouldn’t cry if we lost.

Dismissing the likes of the FA & League Cup though is embarrassing. I’m not usually one to back up the folk that call people plastic and glory hunters but this post sums that up to perfection.

Agreee. I mean there’s a definite tier to it in that the PL and CL are the top dogs but I f**king hate when people belittle winning the other trophies. I’m absolutely ecstatic that we won the EL.

I will say the Community Shield and the Super Cup are the ones that are nice to win but you don’t lose sleep if you don’t win them.

4 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

The Europa League gets a lot of bad press, but this is still a great trophy and not easy to win, as evidenced by the fact that since 2003/04 only two English sides have managed to win it ... Chelsea (won twice, both times we have been in it), and Manchester United (won once out of three attempts).

Arsenal (twice), Manchester City (four times), Liverpool (six times) and Tottenham (nine times) have all failed to win the trophy in that timeline, as have the other 17 English/Welsh clubs that have failed 36 times between them.

Exactly, I love that we’ve been in the EL twice and won it both times. Didn’t we also create history by being the only side to win it undefeated too.

4 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

It’s actually very very impressive at what we have achieved in Romans tenure.

We have been up against the Best United, Arsenal and City sides since since the EPL era began. We also won a CL and got to another final in the era of possibly the best Footballing side of all time in Peps Barcelona. 

Despite every bump in the road we still somehow manage to win trophies consistently and given our turnover of managers and off field issues that’s incredible.

As for the melt who said only 2 trophies matter in football, well he’s what is wrong with modern football. 

This 100%

3 hours ago, Malcolm9 said:

I'm actually bewildered by the Chelsea fans who want Sarri out, shame on you.

I can see him staying, he's already said he enjoys the Premier League plus he is happy being the Chelsea manager, all the other stuff is media BS.

Shame on people who want him out? What a load of bollocks. Some of us don’t like his brand of football, some of us don’t think personally he’s been very warm to the fans even prior to people wanting him out, etc etc

5 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

Exactly, I love that we’ve been in the EL twice and won it both times. Didn’t we also create history by being the only side to win it undefeated too.

Indeed so !

From 2003/4 onwards, we have :

Chelsea : played 2 won 2 (1 unbeaten)

The rest of our entries : played 60 won 1 (United)

It's quite remarkable when you think about it ...

Edited by Sexyfootball

1 hour ago, JM7 said:

Chelsea are considering Allegri as Sarri replacement while club legend Frank Lampard and unattached Laurent Blanc are also said to be in the running. (ESPN) #CFC

If Sarri leaves, it’s going to be one of these 3. There’s no one else. 

Blanc for me, give Frank more time. Whoever comes in cannot buy so leaves them with a harder job. May as well let Blanc face that.

He would absolutely do that. He did it with Bayern and City. He has a strong phisophy of football and that is why he is adored and that is why he is so succesful. I think he will stay at City for next season and go all in trying to win CL. After that he could go to Juventus for example. 
At Bayern and city he spent almost a billion. Euro combined and still didn't get anywhere near the results of Barca. I am not disputing the fact that he has a philosophy, but the idea that you can apply it no matter what type of players you have available. If you have the luxury of having our buying the players that are the best fit to your philosophy then of course you can execute it, if like 99.99,% of managers you do not, you have to adapt if you are a great manager. Sarri played very differently in Napoli and Napoli was way more pleasant to the eye than Chelsea has ever been this year because Chelsea doesn't have that type of players despite being a better team overall

Not surprised that the match going fans are anti Sarri. Since I started going in 2003 you can almost taste in the air the decline in average no. of GCSE’s per fan. There was a slight upturn in about 2010 but since then there are a lot more knuckle draggers and many seem more obsessed with being anti spurs than pro Chelsea. Was a bit depressed last time I went to the bridge. 

1 hour ago, Sexyfootball said:

Indeed so !

From 2003/4 onwards, we have :

Chelsea : played 2 won 2 (1 unbeaten)

The rest of our entries : played 60 won 1 (United)

It's quite remarkable when you think about it ...

Definitely, we have winning trophies in our DNA

1 hour ago, axman2526 said:

Blanc for me, give Frank more time. Whoever comes in cannot buy so leaves them with a harder job. May as well let Blanc face that.

I’d be cool with Blanc too.

Frank, I just feel it’s too soon and I think he’d benefit staying at Derby.

@Bobbywoodhogan 

Just give Sarri another season, the football has been fine in patches but we just need the players who can play that way, we'll be better off for it.

One season with a limited pre-season and inheriting a squad suited to 3-5-2 was never going to be easy. Sarri has had a better first season than Pep and Klopp.

6 minutes ago, Malcolm9 said:

@Bobbywoodhogan 

Just give Sarri another season, the football has been fine in patches but we just need the players who can play that way, we'll be better off for it.

One season with a limited pre-season and inheriting a squad suited to 3-5-2 was never going to be easy. Sarri has had a better first season than Pep and Klopp.

But that's not an option when Sarri himself has decided to leave. 

9 minutes ago, Malcolm9 said:

@Bobbywoodhogan 

I’m not opposed to him having another season. I even said while I don’t think he’s the right man to lead us into the future we shouldn’t sack him after winning the EL. However I did say as I’ve said above that I don’t think he’s the right man to lead us and I stand by that. If people want him out they’re well within their right to believe that. By the end he’s done his job with 3rd and EL win but when you actually look through the season match by match it’s clear there are glaring problems.

8 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

I’m not opposed to him having another season. I even said while I don’t think he’s the right man to lead us into the future we shouldn’t sack him after winning the EL. However I did say as I’ve said above that I don’t think he’s the right man to lead us and I stand by that. If people want him out they’re well within their right to believe that. By the end he’s done his job with 3rd and EL win but when you actually look through the season match by match it’s clear there are glaring problems.

A large chunk of it is due to completely changing a culture of football. For all the raves over his Napoli team they apparently had equally turgid games in the first season but had prime Higuain there to put gloss over it, we had Morata, Giroud and a past it Gonzo.

The eye catching side of his football still needs a lot of work but we have implemented the possession and ball retention aspects a lot quicker than i expected, i was actually expecting the reverse to happen this season, ie lots of quality attacking play but a lot of open games due to us being slow on the uptake re taking care of the ball but it's been the opposite.

59 minutes ago, B&Wlegends said:

but the idea that you can apply it no matter what type of players you have available. If you have the luxury of having our buying

I actually think you two are agreeing, just bit quite figuring out how. 

To your point, Pep would struggle to play his brand of football if he doesn't have the right players and would adapt to what was best suited to him. 

The other point is that Pep isn't going someplace where he doesn't have the financial backing and authority to buy the type of players he wants. 

So I think you're both right. This Juve team wouldn't play Pep's brand of football initially... 

But in two years, you'd see very different personnel and a very different style. 

Was going to make a thread about this but not really a fitting time to add negativity after such a great victory. 

But what does everyone think about this? Not sure if anyone has posted it just found it on Twitter 

So is there something big going on that we don't know at the club? It might definitely explain how bipolar our success is. 

5 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Was going to make a thread about this but not really a fitting time to add negativity after such a great victory. 

But what does everyone think about this? Not sure if anyone has posted it just found it on Twitter 

So is there something big going on that we don't know at the club? It might definitely explain how bipolar our success is. 

Most of what Cesc says seems to be about the club not responding to rumours in the press, or not explaining why certain players leave, and this causes negativity. I'm not convinced it's all that alarmist.

11 minutes ago, Slojo said:

It does make one wonder doesn’t it, despite all the jazz surrounding the club we do continue to win trophies. 

7 hours ago, Valerie said:

Arteta?? How the hell did he get on the list, did not see that coming  :biggrin:

No Espirito Santo for me, too catholic a name, we're not going to sing the name of the holy ghost :sign0195:  Even a Slutsky is preferable, more fun anyway.

Yup. Santo’s in the running by the look of it, however being a typical Catholic is likely to pull out at the last minute

Edited by Ewell CFC

1 hour ago, B&Wlegends said:
3 hours ago, evissy said:

At Bayern and city he spent almost a billion. Euro combined and still didn't get anywhere near the results of Barca. I am not disputing the fact that he has a philosophy, but the idea that you can apply it no matter what type of players you have available. If you have the luxury of having our buying the players that are the best fit to your philosophy then of course you can execute it, if like 99.99,% of managers you do not, you have to adapt if you are a great manager. Sarri played very differently in Napoli and Napoli was way more pleasant to the eye than Chelsea has ever been this year because Chelsea doesn't have that type of players despite being a better team overall

Wenger transformed Arsenal's style almost instantly and turned them into a team that neautrals and even fans other other teams enjoyed watching. Even Ian Holloway did it with a Blackpool team that got relegated from the Premiership. He knew the grinding football that got them there wouldn't be enough to keep them, so he said they'd go out a have a real go, which they most certainly did. 

2 hours ago, cuppaT said:

Not surprised that the match going fans are anti Sarri. Since I started going in 2003 you can almost taste in the air the decline in average no. of GCSE’s per fan. There was a slight upturn in about 2010 but since then there are a lot more knuckle draggers and many seem more obsessed with being anti spurs than pro Chelsea. Was a bit depressed last time I went to the bridge. 

I started going before 2003 and take it from me there were a fair number of Neanderthals in those days as well. I remember some moron thought it was ok to have a slash  right in the middle of the Shed End. Overall, i think the majority of fans are better behaved than when i started going. Yes, there's still morons, but every club has some of them, and maybe we're not the most patient lot and some a bit spoilt by our great success over the last 20 years. But, there's not that genuinely meanacing, nasty side there that brought shame to the club and taking it towards extintion.

Edited by Dixons

56 minutes ago, Valerie said:

Most of what Cesc says seems to be about the club not responding to rumours in the press, or not explaining why certain players leave, and this causes negativity. I'm not convinced it's all that alarmist.

Put it into perspective though, our seasons have been incredibly bipolar compared to every other club in the top 6, who wins a title then finishes 10th? I think it's only Leicester who has topped that but you can at least expect that one. Then it happened again with Conte, not as bad but still, the team were not playing to that level. We seem to find our way and it goes to sh*t the next, our success is always very short term, but so has our failure (thankfully). 

I think one can definitely be pessimistic about team morale or stability. I don't know what it is because I'm on the outside looking in but something doesn't sit right, is it player power, bad technical management?